Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1455239413785632771

So apparently this was yet again him going on stage and doing a stupid dance for attention as they're already getting ready to discuss this with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

What result are you looking forward to as a result of Dems losing? What's your end game?

They're an accelerationist.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

volts5000 posted:

Well, you see, when Youngkin stacks the elections committee and turns VA into another "Stop the Steal" state, nobody to the left of Rush Limbaugh will have their election certified. We'll all have a hearty chuckle and have the satisfaction of telling the state DNC "I told you so".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go try and stave off this oncoming panic attack.

So yeah this was the thing that's gutted me the most.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

pthighs posted:

Has anyone in this thread considered that maybe people as a whole don't want the things delivered in this tweet (minus legal cannabis, everybody under 45 wants that)? That the Democrats in Virginia lost in part because they delivered those things? That Trump as a whole delivered many of the things Virginia voters want, but did so in a way that was too offensive and declasse? You can't blame the electoral college or demographic grouping for this - a segment of land had a vote for a person and chose one over the other.

As a Seattleite in a fairly well off neighborhood, let me tell you first hand that all of our neighbors, with Black Lives Matters and In This House... signs spread throughout their yards, voted for a Republican (who switched to that party only after Trump was elected) for Seattle City Attorney, even though the Dem was a public defender, because the Dem has some aggressive tweets about defunding the police in her history. We're also going to elect Bruce Harrell as mayor, a Dem so corporatist and pro-police state it would make Pete Buttigieg blush, because we would rather have homeless people punted to poorer parts of town rather than consider what we might do to give them an alternative to their current situation.

It's taken as an article of religious faith in this thread that doing good things (as defined by basically everyone here, including me) for people will result in future electoral success. What if it doesn't? What if Americans don't want that? What the gently caress then?

There are many unknowns, but one thing I can guarantee you is that the outcome of the 2024 Presidential/Senate/House elections doesn't directly depend on what happens with the infrastructure bill(s). There's currently a greater than 50% chance Trump wins, and if people still feel bad about things in 2024, it will go up to a 90% chance.

If there's any takeaway I've come away from this with it's this : keeping trump in the corner like a monkey you occasionally go pet while trying to portray yourself as a moderate is what gets independents and moderate voters horny. You bring the orange pig back into the pen it's a different story. Youngin practically beat trump away with a stick in public while privately sweet talking him up. Bringing him back into the public eye is not a winning strategy long term.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 3, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

davecrazy posted:

Is Murphy going to pull this out?

Looking like it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fancy Pelosi posted:

This idea that Congressional Democrats "can't get anything done" or that they are "squandering their majority" is simply untrue. People are focused on the flashy bills like the BBB and the BIF, but this session of Congress has, in fact, passed over 29 bills into law thus far.

Here's an incomplete list of some of this session's lesser-known accomplishments:
  • H.R.26 Construction Consensus Procurement Improvement Act of 2021 - prohibits the federal government from using reverse auctions for complex, specialized, or substantial design and construction services
  • H.R.208 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 500 West Main Street, Suite 102 in Tupelo, Mississippi, as the "Colonel Carlyle 'Smitty' Harris Post Office".
  • H.R.264 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1101 Charlotte Street in Georgetown, South Carolina, as the "Joseph Hayne Rainey Memorial Post Office Building".
  • H.R.335 - To provide for an exception to a limitation against appointment of persons as Secretary of Defense within seven years of relief from active duty as a regular commissioned officer of the Armed Forces.
  • H.R.772 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 229 Minnetonka Avenue South in Wayzata, Minnesota, as the "Jim Ramstad Post Office".
  • H.R.1318 - Alaska Tourism Restoration Act
  • H.R.2278 - To designate the September 11th National Memorial Trail Route, and for other purposes.
  • H.R.3325 - To award four congressional gold medals to the United States Capitol Police and those who protected the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.
  • H.R.5434 Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2021 - The bill allows federal highway, transit, highway safety, motor carrier, research, and transportation financing programs to continue operations through October 31, 2021

I know "Do-Nothing Democrats" is a meme but they are, in fact, not "doing nothing."

Why the gently caress are you here?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think there was a vote about whether or not to keep the obvious troll.

I'm aware. I was there for it and in fact voted in it. Apparently that was for shits and giggles because their rear end is still here regardless of their ban getting an overwhelming 67% to 35%. Would love an explanation for that by the way. Guess we need a shithead to keep the rest of us honest I guess????

edit: N/M just got one. Just put them on ignore because gently caress this noise.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 4, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean once the moderates demanded a CBO score for the house BBB bill, nothing interesting was going to happen today. The progressives weren’t going to abandon their strategy and bail Pelosi out, and McCarthy wasn’t going to let anyone help her, so it’s weird she didn’t just tell everyone to go home. Seems like a misfire to have gone ahead with this vote.

So is that the current goal post? They get the CBO score then they'll vote or are they going to get fucky again in the future?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I think none of us ever fathomed how loving sadistic Manchin would get when given even a taste of power.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Here's a take nobody is going to like but I ain't wrong. Manchin and Sinema and the moderates are just poo poo enough to not care if they gently caress both bills. They'll stall till the midterms and frame it as the progressives fault and not give a solitary gently caress. this the progressives and the president getting a potato in the hopes of getting SOMETHING as a win because those motherfuckers just do not care if it all burns down.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

House just went into recess subject to the call of the chair. Looks like both cars hit the brakes in this chicken game, at least for the moment.

What does this mean exactly?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Highly recommend just putting the 5 worst people in the thread on ignore. idc who you even consider the 5 worst, that's up to you, but it will improve your experience here immensely

I already had to loving do this because for some reason they weren't banned despite a vote being held to BAN THEM.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This thread is giving me whiplash

I'm beginning to find I regret it every time I poke my head in here looking for news.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Some thread/forum banned people were invited back to stir the same poo poo they used too.

....my eyes have successfully rolled into the back of my skull.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1461450887520563214

So is this going to turn the mods off or no?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

They're holding the BBB vote because they know Manchin and Sinema will kill it in the Senate, but this lets them tell the progressives "hey we agreed to bring it to a vote but we never said poo poo about the senate, now leave us alone"

The only reason I think Manchin won't kill it is the SALT provision. It's just lovely enough he'll want that passed somehow.

drat I have a heavily trolled thread to deal with here. oh well, i know what will fix it

let's probate people who call out trolls!

Posting about posters!? Oh! Jail! Jail for Herstory Begins Now for a thousand years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

look, literally all the dnd mods are burned out or well on their way or literally haven't posted in dnd in months. let's structure things though where the only possible way that trolls can be dealt with is by a burned out mod remembering to look at the report queue 1-2 days later

what could go wrong

or, yknow, people could just not be probated for calling out obvious trolling

Yeah this seriously. It's like smacking a kid in the mouth when they're trying to tell you they were molested because they're starting unnecessary drama.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Why would anyone follow this advice, given the fact that an admitted troll was allowed to remain in the thread even though the mods opened a poll and that poll overwhelmingly voted to ban them?

Also this. I've reported a lot of really gross poo poo and literally nothing happens. Like why advertise this tactic when you and I both know it's like throwing complaint slips in the wood chipper.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)