Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I really think this post should be ground for in the new thread, and thank you JABC for doing the legwork on this.

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, after the last time I brought it up and you said that $6t was never in the works, I did a looksee:

The original bill floated by Sanders and other progressives back in June was at $6 trillion over ten years. Legislation was drafted but never came to a vote.

This is not to be confused for the $6 Trillion Biden 2022 budget, which is the whole budget and not the Infrastructure bill, which was announced in May.

The $10 Trillion figure was floated by AOC saying that $6T was not enough to combat the different crises we face now, but never had any legislation written.

So to help you out here:

$6 trillion for infrastructure was originally drafted but never came to a vote, not to be confused with the Biden-backed $6T total budget for 2022.

$10 trillion was suggested but never drafted.

The bill that was then presented is the 'original' $3.5 trillion that went through the Dems before being brought up to Congress.

And after Manchin and Sinema, we're sitting at $1.8 trillion.

So to respond to you: yes, the idea started as $6T and was compromised down to $3.5T, and is further being gutted by Manchin, Sinema and others to even reduce that to what we have now. So even if the total budget is over $3 trillion of $6 trillion offered by Biden, that is nearly half of what was originally described. And the Infrastructure bill itself has been, from concept to current state, massively undercut.

And I agree with you, we should argue that reducing the total budget by nearly half is something we should be focusing on. It's a lovely proposition. But part of that comes from the bill that is most likely going to end up reduced again by a handful of people (because the reduction from $6t to $3.5t came well before the current drama) going against a serious majority of the population in order to line their own pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is anyone able to explain this in more detail? I have hard time seeing this fail given there's precedent with infectious diseases.

Exactly. The irreparable harm goes the other way because unvaccinated people can spread this virus and harm people, and the case is not likely to succeed on the merits because vaccine requirements have a long history in this country.
It’s a bullshit ruling that should not have happened.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 6, 2021

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Right on - but we should still expect this to pass correct?
I don’t know. The Supreme Court right now is kinda schizophrenic about stuff like this, so who knows - but if I were a betting goon I’d say the vaccine mandate is fine.

But I’m not so don’t toxx me bro.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
As someone who had the right winger “you are a sheepdog protecting the herd” mentality blasted into them for a couple decades of martial arts training, it is not self defense when you go looking for a fight. Even the police trainers I did seminars with emphasize that point.

If you go out open carrying a rifle to a place where the vast majority of people you are interacting with are hostile to your presence, you are not defending anything. You are out looking for trouble.

Community defense is not going to a crowd of people who did not ask you to be there with a gun. Go ask the SRA or the JBGC.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

hobbez posted:

I initially posted in this thread because I thought there was a strong case to be made that Rittenhouse had redeemed his right to self defense in light of the statutes referenced in a post by another individual. No one has really countered that claim in any substantial way responding to the fact that Rittenhouse was: in flight while being pursued by two individuals, one of which fired a bullet in his general direction. I wouldn't call these facts "weak counter-arguments". That's what accelerated the whole mess. The first shooting victim, yes, it appears he hadn't actually made contact with Rittenhouse in the footage, but he was DEFINITELY chasing him and I don't think it's unreasonable for Rittenhouse to believe his life was in danger especially in lieu of the gunshot. Rittenhouse further testified the man had told him he was going to kill him.

Yes, multiple people did. You negate your right to self defense if you purposefully go looking for trouble, which is what he did and the prosecution is trying to prove in court.
gently caress off with the selective quoting you troll.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

VitalSigns posted:

What I'm saying is pretty clear I think but I'll try again.

Shutting down the virus was not possible without lockdown measures much stronger than anything Trump did. This was already proven by a year of experience across multiple countries and proven again this year when the virus surged again in the US when stronger measures than what Trump did were not taken.

Promising not to shut down the economy, unlike Trump, is therfore equivalent to criticizing Trump for doing too much. The defense that Biden was careful to lie and/or foolishly believe that the pandemic would just go away regardless does not change the analysis one iota imo

He was defending himself against crazy attacks from the right saying he was going to lock the country down like China did, not promising to be lighter than Trump.
If your memory reaches back about 13 months you’d remember that.
Or maybe it does and you’re purposefully obfuscating that context.
Who knows.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, I’m thinking that maybe allowing VitalSigns back in was a bad idea.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

follow that camel!! posted:

I feel like Oz’s position of “While elites with yards tell those without yards…” isn’t getting made fun of enough. Yards are divisive now?
Next he’s going to ask how many staircases the Washington elite have.