Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Willa Rogers posted:

Just lmao that the guy who can't stop talking about Trump is complaining about Trump fatigue among voters.

To be fair, the actual Youngkin flyers I've seen around here have ENDORSED BY DONALD J TRUMP in big bold letters on the front so it isn't just McAuliffe making it a referendum on the man who still controls the Republican Party's policies and message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

There have been police and criminal justice reform efforts that have gotten signed into law.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/10/28/gov-northam-signs-laws-advancing-police-criminal-justice-reform-virginia/

I will leave it to you as to whether they are truly sufficient, but these are the kinds of laws that would not have been entertained at all if the GOP was in charge of Virginia.

Also this year Delegate Danica Roem introduced and passed legislation barring the gay/trans panic defense from being used in court

quote:

Homicides and assaults and bodily woundings; certain matters not to constitute defenses. Provides that the discovery of, perception of, or belief about another person's actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation, whether or not accurate, is not a defense to any charge of capital murder, murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, or assault and bodily wounding-related crimes and is not provocation negating or excluding malice as an element of murder. Homicides and assaults and bodily woundings; certain matters not to constitute defenses. Provides that the discovery of, perception of, or belief about another person's actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation, whether or not accurate, is not a defense to any charge of capital murder, murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, or assault and bodily wounding-related crimes and is not provocation negating or excluding malice as an element of murder.
It's noteworthy that VA is one of the few states that's actually working to improve LGBT rights while dozens of states are pushing through think-of-the-children poo poo targeted at trans girls.

Also being the first southern state to abolish capital punishment. That seems pretty important.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are there any reports about Virginia voter turnout that I can wig out over?

Early voting on Saturday was packed apparently. 45-minute waits at polls in Richmond with lines out the door like it was a presidential election.

I'm going this afternoon when the rain lets up. It's a good excuse to leave work early :v:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh it's way crazier than you know!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa#Guardian_Angels

tl;dr he's a famous beret-wearing NYC vigilante from the 70s.

...Kinda want to vote for this dude now

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

What I got from that is that these people think the governor controls inflation and gas prices?

A lot of this backlash (not withstanding the CRT propaganda) is people fed up with the current state of, well, everything, and desperately looking for someone to fix it even though it isn't fixable by one person or one party or even one country. Supply chain problems and staffing shortages, which are the things having the most visible impact on everyday life, are due to a fundamental flaw in the just-in-time global economy and in the way we value labor. There's no easy solution that will let people get on with their lives from the Before Times.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why hasn't there been another Huey Long, or any other flavor of leftist for that matter, to get big time national attention? I feel like economic populism would still resonate.

I know why most Democrats don't go that direction (they're not actually economic populists!) but if the message is as powerful as I'd like to think it is, surely someone would have taken it up and run with it and gotten somewhere?

Remember the LBJ (I think that's who it was) quote about how people are fine being economically downtrodden as long as a black person is worse off than them.

Also, the general public likes economic populism until you mention that they might have to give something to those who are poorer than them. Raising taxes will never be popular, spending money on people who Aren't Like Me will never be popular, Reagonomics has fully seeped into the consciousness of Republicans and Democrats alike and it'll take more than a single demagogue to shake it.

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah maybe the Democrats could run some troops who wrap themselves in the flag. Beat the Republicans at their own game, y'know?

I think that was the idea with Pete Buttigieg, though he had the nerve to suggest ending the 2001 AMF so he probably isn't sufficiently pro-troop enough for that crowd.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Is there a way to declare a mistrial based on judge misconduct? Or some other recourse when it's this blatant in favor of one side?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

You sure do have an obvious side here despite the overwhelming evidence of the judge being full of poo poo and clearly biased.

The prosecutor also sucks, doesn't make Rittenhouse any less guilty but does make it easier for the judge/defense (who are essentially the same at this point) to muddy the waters.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

So a memo justifying Trump's firing of Defense Secretary Esper dropped and....wow, its a read

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1458449906176245763?s=20

If he ever wanted to switch parties and run for office (Dems are looking for more troops...) he could use this letter verbatim as a campaign flyer

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Josh Hawley is now filibustering the NDAA as well unless they vote on his amendment to remove the provision requiring women to be included in selected service/the draft.

That one will probably not hold things up, though. There seem to be a few Republicans that support it and a lot of them that don't care one way or the other - and definitely don't care enough to jeopardize a bunch of money going to their local military bases, jeep production plants, and airplane engine assembly lines.

Why does Josh Hawley not support ARE TROOPS?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

They have a suspect in custody in Waukesha, just heard it over the scanner

Welp, prepare for more bullshit this week https://heavy.com/news/darrell-brooks-jr/

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Awww, but talking about Weird Al is so much more fun and enjoyable than the stuff that usually gets posted here.

But fine, here's an article about how it's becoming increasingly common for Americans to walk around with guns just because they loving can: https://apnews.com/article/ahmaud-arbery-kyle-rittenhouse-us-supreme-court-wisconsin-gun-politics-dbc0c29cb1b29ad848a00d8830e2222e

So expect even more mass shootings and murders of protesters in the future (as if you didn't already know that would happen already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSD3brpn2nE

Weird Al Yankovic posted:

Trigger happy
Trigger happy

Got an AK-47, well you know it makes me feel all right
Got an Uzi by my pillow, helps me sleep a little better at night
There's no feeling any greater
Than to shoot first and ask questions later
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Well you can't take my guns away, I got a constitutional right
Yeah, I gotta be ready if the commies attack us tonight
I'll blow their brains out with my Smith and Wesson
That ought to teach 'em all a darn good lesson
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Oh yeah, I'm trigger, trigger happy
Yes, I'm trigger, trigger happy
(Oh baby, I'm) trigger, trigger happy
(Oh, I'm so) trigger, trigger happy
Better watch out, punk
Or I'm gonna have to blow you away

Oh, I accidentally shot Daddy last night in the den
I mistook him in the dark for a drug-crazed Nazi again
Now why'd you have to get so mad?
It's just a lousy flesh wound, Dad
You know I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day
Oh, I still haven't figured out the safety on my rifle yet
Little Fluffy took a round, better take him to the vet
I filled that kitty cat so full of lead
We'll have to use him for a pencil instead
Well, I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Better watch out, punk

Come on and grab your ammo
What have you got to lose?
We'll all get liquored up
And shoot at anything that moves

Got a brand new semi-automatic weapon with a laser sight
(Shoot to kill now, shoot to kill)
Oh, I'm prayin' somebody tries to break in here tonight
(Shoot to kill now, shoot to kill)
I alwaays keep a Magnum in my trunk
You better ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk?
Because I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Better watch out, punk
(Watch out or I'll blow you away)
Better watch out, punk
Better watch out, punk
Better watch out, punk

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

gently caress: beaten on posting the breakdown of the awards

I find it hard to believe the jury really couldn't come to an agreement on charges 1 and 2, conspiracy and hate crime charges seemed obvious and the defense blundered at every turn.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

The New Deal also included a lot of transformational programs (for the time), whereas a lot of the proposed transformational things some Dems wanted to do with BBB have been taken out of the bill or watered down significantly.

Those transformational programs from the New Deal were also watered down by the Supreme Court and Congress, but the starting point was much higher. FDR had a huge majority to work with and a massive mandate to do pretty much whatever he wanted, and also a big set of brass balls.

He would then use his "I can do whatever I want" mandate to put Japanese-Americans into concentration camps, so ymmv.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

-Blackadder- posted:

Wow, he is so rich.

Talk about projection, maybe you should have the courage to step up and try serving your country so we can have more freedom tomorrow? Or even have a tomorrow at all. What a worthless coward.

Hollywood is actually a goldmine of untapped political talent for the Democrats and critically time-sensative Progressive goals. The town is so Liberal that the relative handful of Conservatives have to hide out in Fight Club-esque secret basement meetings set up by Gary Sinise when they want to talk to each other.

Two of the most powerful monsters to ever get into the white house were just trashy B and D listers in Hollywood. But the combination of media training, even subar acting skills, on-camera experience, and built-in publicity made them practically unstoppable in a job that's basically a popularity contest that's 95% reading teleprompters on people's tv screens. If we could get someone like Clooney, Hanks, or even McConaughey it could make a massive difference. McConaughey could run as a Republican and the fact that he's not insane would be huge and could mean Climate Action could start getting critical support. 1.5C right around the corner and the only Hollywood stars that want to step up are the idiot monsters.

McConaughey is an egotistical Joe Rogan-wannabe "libertarian" who spends most of the time selling his own self-help bullshit and nodding his head in agreement with quacks on his youtube channel. He is one of the idiot monsters you speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Willa Rogers posted:

Convo about elites has me thinkin' about Obama droppin' g's off gerunds when he's tryin' to be lookin' like a workin' stiff.
:chloe:

George W Bush dumbing down his speech by several grade levels between his TX gubernatorial run and presidential run is probably a better example of this.

Also, "elites" in the context of right-wing rhetoric means Jews. Same with cabal, globalists, international bankers, financiers, and most mentions of New York City.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 1, 2021