Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Checking the composition of the sample...

That leaves 327 voters who didn't specify an affiliation.

The survey has more Democratic-leaning voters, but also thinks the Democratic party is the greatest threat to democracy? The only way that makes sense is if the vast majority of "no specified affiliation" are hard right-wingers. I would just toss that survey into the trash where it belongs and not worry about it. EDIT 2: Fine, I see how it could be valid.

EDIT: The age breakdown of registered voters might be a clue:

18 to 29 - 16%
30 to 44 - 23%
45 to 59 - 27%
60 or older - 34%

61% of those polled are 45 or older.

:psyboom:

What the gently caress is in the water at the Denny's that gives the older people in this country severe brain damage?

"Let's see, one party wants to give me paid leave and healthcare, and the other wants to install a failed Gameshow Host as President in a violent coup..."

"CRAZY DANGEROUS LIBERALS!!" :byodood:

gently caress are people this goddamn stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fame Douglas posted:

Are there really that many people into overzealous parents on school boards?

Friend, let me tell you why I left teaching and became an Adult Education Counselor...

Parents are loving insane lately. Trump opened the door to every psycho who wants to question what history or Literature you are teaching. Parents are not just helicopters: they're Harriers actively strafing your classroom for any sign or issue they remotely disagree with.

K12 Education in this country is a capitalist customer service model in many affluent places, and parents will lawyer up immediately for the slightest provocation or reason. This country's ongoing propaganda war against teachers and anyone remotely more educated than your "common sense" qanon moron is also a major factor.

Education is hosed until systemic issues are actually addressed

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 2, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is there a Virginia election thread? I didn't see a specific one for it in D&D.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VideoGameVet posted:

Just 34 NYPD Went On Unpaid Leave Rather Than Comply With Vaccine Mandate

https://www.thedailybeast.com/only-34-cops-sent-home-without-pay-for-flouting-vax-mandate-nypd-says

So much for the 10,000 threatened by the Union.

"On Thursday the union representing 50,000 current and former New York City Police Dept. officers claimed Mayor de Blasio’s vaccine mandate would force “10,000” officers off the streets."

:lol:

When push comes to shove the Pigs are cowards: news at 11

It's almost like fascist organizations are full of bullies and cowards or something :shrug:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gripweed posted:

So safe money is on the Dems blaming critical race theory for their loss here, right? I wonder how that's going to effect races in the midterms. They don't have a good response to Republican complaints about CRT, because the complaints are absurd and nonsensical, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Dem candidates come out against CRT too.

Isn't the CRT stuff theh're mad at mostly the seminar that that grifter made for Coca Cola and other companies?

I remember that being a major talking point for some of these wierdos when it first started

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Trazz posted:

Is California the only state to figure out that we need to completely purge the GOP?

Last I checked the GOP is so nonexistant in Washington they have to flee the state with white militia dipshits in Idaho to have any way of stopping policy

If only more state Dem machines could make the GOP a joke like that :allears:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

With the election safely decided, Trump's decided to start the gloating. Can't say he's particularly wrong, about Terry's strategy & hopefully that the democrats will find a new schtick. They tried to rope Trump into repelling Virginia independents and his handlers managed to rein him in; if they manage to do the same in 2022, with a heavily neutered BBB bill, it could be a slaughter.

You do realize this idiot is known Perma-Banned User Donald Trump right? Please stop helping with ban evasion, thank you

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

The fact that "the Dems did nothing" is being used as an argument in a state like VA where they actually did a ton shows how hollow that argument really is. It doesn't matter what the Dems actually do they will just get hated on, it's similar to the usual "the Dems should do this, oh wait they have been? Well I didn't hear about it from my media bubble so they did it wrong'

VA is looking unique in which T-Mac was a beautiful loving idiot at all the right moments to weaken his own lead and weaken his own standing with suburban white moms, for literally no reason

It's that old Clinton election arrogance once again! Always hits the spot! (Can anyone explain to me why we still let any of those fucks run any election ever? The loving Labor party has more recent victories).

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Does McAuliffe have a bottle of hot sauce in his purse at all times like Hillary though.

...What is the story behind this because holy poo poo it sounds fuckin wild :wtc:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nix Panicus posted:

Do you think Terry McAuliffe ran an ad campaign that effectively highlighted democrat victories in Virginia that materially improved the lives of potential voters? My understanding of the race is that McAuliffe mostly focused on Trump, a person who was not even eligible to run in the 2021 Virginia gubernatorial election, with the occasional generic call to vote. I would be happy to be shown ads where McAuliffe focused on the improvements made to the state since the last election.

If McAuliffe ran on democrat material victories and still lost that would be alarming, but if McAuliffe ran on opposing someone not even in the race that seems like wasted energy and a terrible strategy.

Do not run on Trump. Please stop mentioning Trump at all in any campaign ads, unless your opponent is literally Donald Trump, and even then confine the focus on Trump to no more than 1/3rd of ads at most.

McAuliffe ran against the Infrastructure Bills lmao

To say this is anything but a resounding defeat for the Third Way idiocy of the Clintonites is blatant lying

Going to be fun when ever Dem consultant blames AOC for breathing though

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seattle seeing another situation where the "pro-police" candidate is being driven to victory by minority voters.

Kind of surprised by the Republican winning the city attorney position with such a big margin when no other Republican got close to any major elected office. Maybe a local/personal reason specific to her? I'm not really familiar with that race.

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1455754463512199171

Unfortunately it seems with this pattern of results along with Buffalo and Minneapolis, it seems like the Ruling class and those who vote for them (well to do boomer/ Gen X) just want to go back to comfortable ineffectual liberalism in service to capital. They feel they got rid of the anomaly that was Trump, that abrasive destructive force, and now it's time to shut out the young Left and get back to work serfs, i need another boat, and I have a golf game with the Chief of Police at 4.

They desperately want to get back to hanging out with their embarassed Republican friends, because politics is a game to them: it's never mattered as long as their taxes are lowered and the police do their jobs and drive out the poors.

We really need to think about an actual Left party going forward possibly, because the Dems will be run by the business Liches till they loving die.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hellblazer187 posted:

At one time "The Dems" brought The New Deal and The Great Society programs. So I don't think it's simply the "Democratic Party" label that is so fatal. Officials operating under that label have done decent things, brought real changes to lots and lots of people.

But it's really not that party anymore. I had long operated under the belief we could capture the party via the primary process and make it help people again, but the India Walton thing has my really shaken and angry. I guess Murkowski's write in win ten thousand years ago didn't prevent the tea party/trumpist/outward lunatic takeover of her party, so a single instance of this isn't the end. But holy poo poo it's bad, IMO.

I contend that Bill Clinton was the single most destructive President in our lifetimes in the long run: he destroyed the New Deal Great Society Democrat party and made it New Coke of the GOP to chase votes. His actions and the failures of Third Way Liberalism lead to all this poo poo

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

T-Mac is a loving moron who in true Clintonite fashion shot himself in the foot multiple times while clowning it up and getting more arrogant everytime

In a sane party this would be the end of the loving Clinton Third Way wing but lol at that happening. My bigger concerns are the big defeats of progressive proposals in Blue cities by big business interests, which suggests the aging electorate has shifted back to complacency to capital so long as they are fine.

This FYGM Apathy hellhole of a country man

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Srice posted:

It didn't have to be this way but McAuliffe just ran a terrible campaign and shot himself in the foot in plenty of ways. Like one of the lessons the dems should take away from this is to never run on a platform of "I'm not the other guy". The other big takeaway is that they need to focus on putting together some really good messaging on education because a lot of republicans are gonna look at what Youngkin did there and try to follow up on that. If they don't have an effective way to counter that narrative they're just gonna bleed more and more, losing elections that they should be able to win.

Sadly the realistic outcome is that they are gonna find a way to pin this on progressives instead of doing anything introspective.

Here's the deal: we might be in one of the most pro-labour political environments of our lifetime. Strikes everywhere, millions quitting their lovely jobs in solidarity, the Great Resignation is upon us. This is an absolute goldmine opportunity to get true Leftist grassroots movements going everywhere in this country.

...And the supposedly pro labour party wants to chase rich suburban voters. They can't engage at all with the groundswell of pro-labour sentiment because they are completely out of loving touch and just want status quo business time for the olds and white rich who vote. Like I don't know what else to say here: the Democrats squandered arguably one of the biggest pro labour culture shifts I've ever seen.

Until the Third Way liches are destroyed and their donor phylacteries smashed the Dems will never change.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is really a big red flag for the midterms

https://twitter.com/politicsmaps/status/1455883420848967682?s=21

The Dems’ coalition of suburban voters that allowed Biden to win has already collapsed

Because they want status quo business, which is inherently antithetical to progressive ideals.

Chasing these FYGM Karen fucks is a massive waste of time and political capital

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Willo567 posted:

If Trump got reelected in 2024, could America actually survive another term with him after he tried to do an insurrection? He's too mentally unhinged and his fanbase is full of cultists

He's

A. Old as gently caress
B. Completely Senile by 2024
C. His health was already a loving trainwreck before COVID
D. Still under investigation for multiple criminal offenses in NYC

I really do think Donny is dead long before 2024

Stop loving running against a guy who is not even on the ballot or the internet, and worry about the competent fascist waiting down the pipeline.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

A. Biden is older, yet still president. So Kamala 2024 or...?
B. How is Trump senile, but Biden is not senile by this metric?
C. Was it?
D. Anyday now. . .

...When did I say Biden wasn't old and senile by this definition? Yeah he is. Most of Congress and the Supreme Court are. Ghouls run everything.

Uh yeah duder: he eats like complete poo poo and pretty obviously had a heart attack at that Christmas lighting thing where they rushed him to Walter Reed, and he barely sleeps.

It doesn't matter if he's indicted: it's the stress it puts on his damaged brain and heart not to mention his lungs are hosed: unless you think Regeneron works like the Lazarus Pits from Bat Man

I realize you are basking in the Afterglow of another successful "own the libs" moment brought to us by another tried and true Clintonite, but do try to be a bit less frisky and stupid eh?

For the record I don't think Biden makes it 2024 either

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bugsy posted:

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1455892096536268804

Ed Markey is also again st voting for Rahm, and hopefully this will be enough to scuttle him.

I hear Ambassador to Antarctica is still an option Rohm!

Please take T-Mac with you, he's looking for a new job atm

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yinlock posted:

The correlation seems fairly substantive. Biden's current poll numbers are dipping precisely because his administration are somewhat justifiably seen as do-nothings, while Trump was actually clawing his approval back up via actively fighting for things he wanted(even if those things were all horrible) until the pandemic really hit and he nosedived again

e:

A lot of things people are suggesting isn't even ignoring the rule of law, it's just being rude. When Trump was stumbling around breaking things we learned that a lot of rules are actually just established norms and there's no real punishment for breaking them.

...I can't believe I'm loving saying this, but I'm actually going to give Trump something resembling a compliment:

The loving demented motherfucker was Evil but he loving tried. He fought to get his sick gently caress agenda passed. He actually got parts of it codified, even if temporary. He was aggressive as President, and it loving worked

The Dems are on a ruddlerless ship being steered by Capitalist Mr. Magoo, they could have passed this loving poo poo in September to massive applause, but they let complete loving morons and stooges like Manchin and Sinema hold everything up. And where the gently caress are the Executive Orders? Motherfucker you could wipe out student debt and legalize weed in a day, and be the most popular President in a 100 loving years.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

This reads like someone who got so mad at Dems they started ingesting rightwing propaganda.

Trump was the laziest president in decades. He didn't fight for very much at all. He just made noise.

His handlers got him to appoint awful people, which he did because he didn't give a gently caress about anything. They aggressively tried to tear everything down because they didn't care about legal consequences because they are fascists who own the courts.

The only thing notable legislation passed during his presidency by the GOP alone was tax cuts which his base loving hated and were bog standards GOP policy from before he ever ran.

My dude, how many Executive Orders did Trump sign? In like his first hundred days? They took a shot at Healthcare as soon as they got Congress.

I have never in my life "ingested Right Wing propaganda", I can observe "gee this guy I hate did lost of things very quickly, handlers or no, this guy I'm supposed to like hasn't done poo poo since August really". I can use my eyes and my brain to come to my own conclusions.

The lethargy from the Liches in Congress and this Administration is actively hurting people, and for a guy who wants to be the next FDR, he certainly ain't living up to it, even when one of the biggest labor culture shifts in the history of this country giftwrapped for him.

My god do you think I actually like Trump at all? I think it would be hard for you to find someone that personally viscerally hates that abomination of a human being more than I do, for very personal reasons.

I'm saying handlers or no, one administration flailed at least somewhat effectively in steering the ship towards Skull Island, albeit through throwing people overboard and having the captain continuously shoot cannon holes into the hull, one Administration is letting Dumb and Dumber run the ship onto the rocks, while suggesting the ship's sails and rudder should really be means tested before they are used.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 4, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Yep.

And again, Biden sucks, I'm not defending Biden.

But if you ever have convinced yourself that one of the laziest men in history, Trump, was a fighter, you should probably unplug for a bit.

This... is a fair point. I have had a very rough week personally, so I am probably not seeing things accurately atm

I do need to stop posting in politics atm. Getting angry for no reason.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

morothar posted:

Try “we shouldn’t do x, because it will look like we’re disproportionately favoring a small group of people that already is relatively better off. It will not meaningfully improve our chance of electoral victory, but instead will piss off the rest of the electorate - some of which in the very core group that we rely on”

...How is "removing a massive financial burden off of most of the younger generations" not meaningfully improving chances at victory?

Is this country that full of FYGM NIMBY fucks that we can never pass any positive legislation again? In that case why the gently caress even have a government: we've already lost.

The idea that Democrats wouldn't instantly gain more votes by wiping out student loan debt is loving ridiculous.

Same with legalized weed. Same with universal healthcare.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 5, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

rscott posted:

You're really overestimating the number of people who actually go to college and accrue significant debt

Please explain to me how this same logic cannot be applied to "you are really overestimating the number of people who make over 150k a year" but we bend over backwards on command to make sure those fucks don't pay taxes

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1456599818835570694?s=20

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1456600426216837125?s=20

https://twitter.com/Neil_Irwin/status/1456600132930125829?s=20

Very good job numbers today plus the first vote on the BBB.

and then there's this as well

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1456598629599354886?s=20

Things are looking good going into 2022. The best thing that can happen is the economy getting back on track, keeping kids in school and COVID surges becoming less pronounced if no new variant pops up.

Not to worry: NIMBY Karens in the suburbs will find a way to praise the GOP for this, while crying over their children having to read black american literature and still refusing to treat their children for a deadly disease.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's not just wiping out the debt of people. It's about making college more accessible and affordable to more people by changing that as well, because we tell young people "hey if you want a future go to college, also give us thousands of dollars to do so, do two unpayed internships, and then maaaaybe we might hire you for an intro position if the moon is full that day".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mizaq posted:

Wait, I thought the usual thing to do in regards to the unemployment stats was to not count people who stopped receiving benefits. And in September the pandemic benefits ended. Are we just juking the stats as usual again?

Yeah I'm pretty :thunk: about those numbers too, considering the Great Resignation and the very obvious staff shortages everywhere, I think this is a lot of uh, "optimistic" number crnuching

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Harold Fjord posted:

It's not being proposed as a strategy, which would also require doing other things too. Each right thing Biden needs to do might not directly benefit 51% and could be argued to be "bad electoral strategy" but that's not why he should do them and that attitude is part of why so many people loving hate the Dems

VitalSigns posted:

Lol oh yeah I forgot about this.

All wrangling about optimal electoral strategy is pointless when Biden's priority is clearly to reassert the power relationships of capital and labor that existed before the pandemic, with getting reelected a distant second.

A few months ago on this board I was told that Biden will use the moratorium as a backdoor permanent forgiveness program. It doesn't trigger any crab-bucketing, it's ongoing relief for young people with debt who will be energized to come out and vote to defend it, and even when Republicans finally do retake the White House it may be too established by then for them to risk tampering with

I even believed the people who told me that. But lol nope, Starbucks CEO is complaining he can't find enough baristas at wage-slave pay. Gotta force debtors to get second jobs and refill that reserve pool of labor so wages can race back to the bottom. Can't even wait until after the elections, gotta gently caress millions and millions of millennials and Gen Z right before the midterms for maximal electoral damage.

It's loving this. It hadn't dawned on me but that's how the administration is going to bend the knee to capital and force their ungrateful serf class back to work. Because I was pondering this for a while myself: "why would the government re-open loan payments people can barely afford, at a time of high turnover and labor shortages, that makes no sense". Except it absolutely does if you think about it from the angle of business, who just want their serfs back in their place again. Which is pretty loving evil.

I say everyone just mass defaults on the students loans entirely, like one big strike. What are they going to do, sue millions of people?

It's the new age of debtor's prisons and colonies. Also, anyone is this thread who thinks "well debt is a personal choice" like it's some moral failing, you and your Protestant work indoctrination can go gently caress yourself, thanks. People don't typically fall into debt because they choose bad options; it's typically because they have zero options.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 5, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Motto posted:

It's really funny that democrats will see themselves do better with college grads and decide the best thing to do is make college less accessible and punish those who do go.

BUT MAYBE WE WILL GET BLUE COLLAR WORKERS AND RACISTS TO VOTE FOR US GUYS :byodood:

Now that the numbers for Virginia are finalized you can look at some of the trends.

- Overall turnout was a new record for a Governor's race - looks like it will be ~56% of eligible voters

- Democratic turnout was up around 21% from the previous Gubernatorial election.

- Republican turnout was up around 26% from the previous Gubernatorial election.

- Democratic margins in NoVa/the Northern suburbs held to almost 2020 levels.

- Youngkin demolished in southwestern and rural Virginia - on both margins and turnout he ended up with over 50% more net votes from those areas than Republicans had in 2017. He matched or exceeded Trump's margin in every single county in the SW.

- Even though those rural areas are small, when Youngkin was winning 91% of the vote in some of them + exploding turnout, it made the difference.

- Some people hypothesized that Youngkin's dog whistle politics would be somewhat countered by increased minority opposition to him, but he did about the same as every other statewide Republican governor. He didn't improve, but wasn't seemingly hurt by it.

The only 100% clear conclusion that you can draw is that the idea that increased overall turnout will always benefit Democrats clearly isn't true.

The other thing is that Democrats need to find a way to either demotivate or change the votes of the large amount of rural voters who are energized by racial rhetoric and politics. I have no idea what the surefire way to do that would be. They can get blown out by 40 points with these voters and still win easily, but they can't get blown out by 80+ points.

Not sure what you can do with that information on a national level (or if it even applies outside of VA, it didn't happen in California where Newsom got blown out by the "normal" amount among those voters).

Edit:

Sort of the opposite happened in New Jersey, where it looks like Murphy saw a general all-around drop in support from every geographic area with a larger drop in southern Jersey (similar to what happened in SW VA, but to a much smaller level).

Gee...if only there were some policies that were broadly popular with the democratic urban, youth, minority base that could energize turnout from a still pretty untapped base to make up for frothing at the mouth white rural racists and bigots that you will never get in a thousand years to vote blue. What could those be though? :thunk:

Truly a riddle that can never be solved

Worry about energizing your own loving base that vastly outnumbers the rural vote any given god drat day? Don't rely on suburban Karen and Nimbys to vote for you ever? Actually make connections to the struggling working class?

No, those people who have criminal records for weed and crippling debt deserve them, now how can we make sure those people getting paid leave are actually working, let's means test this poo poo into the ground. What's that suburbs? You will vote for us if we do SALT? Oh, you voted for the dog whistle pro-business Republican? Ah well, maybe we will get that football eventually! :shepface:

This is an idiotic political strategy that reads like how boomers run their business: stripped down to bare bones with paper slim margins and no real return on investment.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 5, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shammypants posted:

Hearing seemingly normal people in various places complain about how angry they would be if current loanees or existing loanees received relief and they didn't actually surprised me. I think the backlash would be fairly substantial, and the electoral consequences uncertain, particularly since younger people would tend to benefit more and vote less.

Just food for thought here: WHY do you think younger people vote less? Do you think it's because maybe they are completely disillusioned and angry with a party that refuses the barest possible outreach to them while constantly seeking the vote of people who actively hate them, but DEMANDS the vote of them to keep worse things from happening?

Maybe, just maybe if they were thrown a bone or two they might vote in larger numbers, and you wouldn't have to rely on unreliable sources of votes to fill your margins so Joe Manchin can hold court on his loving house boat and wax poetic about how to Means Test Means Testing.

But no, there is just something in a younger person's brain that causes them to not want to vote and be ungrateful, that must be it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

morothar posted:

Virtually everything in the Infrastructure and BBB bills benefits young people, often most or exclusively. $4T+ in spending that would never have materialized without the Democrats being (barely) in power.

Truly, young people have no reason to vote Democrat ever again.

"We've already given you some tiny things! Be happy with tiny things! You want MORE now!?"

The Democratic party is the only political party in the world apparently that should get a pass from it's voters for not doing any of the things they want except the smallest possible scraps. Means Testing and Poll Aporoved: the Party!

You really convinced me: i am totally voting Blue No Matter Who Now! :thumbsup:

Hellblazer187 posted:

The people arguing against student loan relief in this thread did more to radicalize me than a thousand CSPAMers on a thousand typewriters could in a thousand years.

loving :same:

Sharkie posted:

If someone tells me they want to hang out, then they keep giving me endless excuses about why they can't, eventually I decide they don't really want me around. Then once every four years when they hit me up for money, I can tell them to gently caress off. Politics works the same way.

But if we don't do it maybe good things that won't happen anyway won't happen!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think this thread has some T-Mac political consultants lurking about, because they sure seem to be making the same arguements

selec posted:

My best friend for about 35 years now was a high school art teacher. He’s also painted an album cover for a major You Would Know Them rock band in the last decade, and now supports himself as an artist, meagerly. He quit his union education job with insurance to live on less money with no insurance because the state absolutely poo poo all over educators during the pandemic, and so now he’s resigned himself to never paying off his student loans, which at age 45 are still in the mid 5 figures, and just makes enough payments on the mortgage lien his dad dying uninsured left him with to not be homeless.

I don’t know many better human beings, and the idea that he doesn’t deserve or it’s not electorally feasible to help him enrages me. I have committed myself to never letting him fall too far, but the state has utterly abandoned him.

And he’s just one of the several left-behind men and women I know, all of whom demographically should be loyal democrats, and most of whom are now just no longer voting because it will change nothing about their lives to do so.

That these lives do not matter to the state or to the party is depraved.

^ this is it

I am in a somewhat similiar situation, though by some miracle (and regrettfully my father's life insurance :smith:) I was able to parachute out of teaching into counseling and still be financially solvent. I have voted democrat since I was allowed to vote.

If I and this teacher are questioning if our votes even serve a purpose anymore, than guess what? You are deeply cutting into your own base through inaction and lethargy. And you aren't making it up with Rural voters, because they are indoctrinated to hate you, and Suburban voters don't loving care so long as they can have complete dominion over their children, their taxes are cut, and no one in the neighborhood that moves in gets too uppity.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 5, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Manchin now saying his problem with the bill is that, because they had to shrink it (partially because of demands from Senator Joe Manchin III), that now some programs are scheduled to end in 6 years, 4 years, or two years instead of 10 and that they should fund everything for 10 years.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1456612937406296065

Is this a game or does his House Boat palace have a gas leak?

What the gently caress is wrong with this dude's scrambled egg brain? :psyduck:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The NRCC memo advising candidates on the issues to run on in 2022 seems to be the official plan as of now. The Republican Study Committee has now released a memo with the same conclusions.

I guess it depends on where the most vulnerable seats are, but I am kind of surprised that they are only doing a sort of half-hearted "high taxes" angle and downplaying jobs, the economy, and healthcare.

Maybe education and all those umbrella issues are evergreen, and it makes sense to plan around that because the economy and other issues can change in a year.

I could be wrong, but minimizing the economy in favor of "education" seems like a bad midterm strategy.

https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1456725342853509132

I fully expect the Democrats to learn exactly nothing from the complete loving failure of Third Way idiocy and chase suburban votes that are more than happy to shift back to voting for their friendly neighborhood white supremacist golf buddy, if it means they have full control over education

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Why would this Nigerian Prince not share his Swiss bank account with me after I sent him my life savings as a good faith gesture? Your is an up is down black is white conspiracy theory.

Anyway, re: the student loan discussion from the other day, looks like the DoE is fighting to get the administration to extend the moratorium which is a good thing, but if politco's source is reliable lmao at the administration's argument for not doing that.

https://twitter.com/StrikeDebt/status/1455873658698805252
https://twitter.com/StrikeDebt/status/1455875199535026185

A really great way to get the economy to improve is to force a bunch of people who can't pay massive debt to start paying again! :shepface:

Bing bong, so simple!

These people are senile or evil: there's no in-between

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

morothar posted:

Want some more bleakness?

The Economist just pointed out in an article that while the US has a median age of 40, and a population where only 60% consider themselves white, the electorate has a median age of 53 years, with 75% identifying as white.

That type of electorate cannot but react negatively to most kinds of social spending, especially more radical stuff like student debt forgiveness.

One solution would be to go all-out, and hope that social spending, student debt forgiveness etc. will mobilize enough young voters to change the makeup of the electorate.

In reality, it will mean that Dems won’t be able to distance themselves fast or hard enough from progressives in the run-up to the election, because the majority will see their Safe Harbour in centrist policies.

Didn't you just the see the voting results where progressive policy runners kinda cleaned up in their local races and the state moderate races were dumpsterfires?

Cozying up to a dying electorate who hates you ain't getting the dems more votes, but man will they continue to gently caress that chicken anyway.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is anyone surprised at this? Overcontrolling suburban Mothers 9 times out of ten will side with Republicans on any culture issue, because THINK OF THE CHILDREN! :byodood: is a hell of a siren call to them

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These are only state charges right? The Feds can charge him as well correct?

Jesus poo poo this judge should be removed from the bench for obstruction of Justice

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 10, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:hmbol:

What the gently caress did James Bond Villain reject do this time? :allears:

No pardon for you this time Stevie :sad:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bugsy posted:

Bannnon has turned himself in, saying "We're taking down the Biden regime."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/politics/steve-bannon/index.html

"I'm not Owned I'm not OWNED!" I yell as I suck my own dick like a grotesque hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

International Space Station evacuated.

The debris from the weapon test will likely last "years" and there is no way to track the long-term trajectory of all of the pieces. As of now, they have confirmed ~1,500 pieces in orbit.

https://twitter.com/18SPCS/status/1460388384078139399
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1460387353768382465

"Actually, the treaty only prevents WMDs from being positioned in space, but we could also launch nukes into low orbit if we wanted" is not a super reassuring statement from Russia.

No Biggie, Russia just going full Principality of Zeon and planning a colony/ satellite drop :shepface:

Also, proposing WMDs in space is a "HOLY loving poo poo" level red flag violation of the treaty, not sure what the Russians are smoking to say that. :dogstare: