Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

He is transparent in his want to kill the BBB act. He wants the BIF bill passed so he can vote down reconciliation.

When he wants progressives to compromise, he means they need to discard all of their policy priorities. Compromise is "I get what I want and you get nothing" to Manchin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

If Youngkin wins, the takeaway for the Dems is going to be "progressive policy leads to electoral backlash that costs us our jobs."

This will be their takeaway if the dem wins, but not in massive numbers.

Honestly, it's likely to be their takeaway no matter what - the democrats took full control of the federal government in 2020 and blamed progressive policy because they could have won more.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

Does the GOP give libertarians as much poo poo? I feel like libertarians cost republicans elections all the time.

No, because at the end of the day, libertarians and Republicans want the same things - no taxes and as few regulations as possible.

They differ in regards to business subsidies, but the Republican leadership knows that will never happen, and the rank and file don't care about that, reall; it's mostly taxes.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

fox poll last week. from what my friends say, it encouraged more dem early voters.

This happened in the Newsom recall as well. Articles came out about "oh the Republican might win" and it spurred dem turnout.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

eXXon posted:

I can't wait for this saga to finally end, only for 2022 to bring Manchin and Sinema holding the replacement of Breyer hostage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they straight up hold out until the Republicans take over.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Manchin now saying his problem with the bill is that, because they had to shrink it (partially because of demands from Senator Joe Manchin III), that now some programs are scheduled to end in 6 years, 4 years, or two years instead of 10 and that they should fund everything for 10 years.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1456612937406296065

That's because he doesn't want the bill to pass at all and is giving contradictory reasons to block it. Didn't he want the durations cut to trim the cost, and this is him going back on himself again?

He's not negotiating in good faith and apparently nobody in the house or senate has noticed.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

lol it would own so much if Pelosi passes the BIB with GOP support stabbing progressives in the back and lets Manchin kill BBB like he always wanted to.

just a own-goal of mythic proportions

They'll use the progressive non vote as a reason to push them out (how dare you not support biden's agenda) and never talk about the BBB again.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

The BBB is Biden's agenda, WTF are you talking about. The progressive caucus are the only ones standing up for it.

They are trying to do is pass the BIF bill and leave the BBB for later. When the progressives don't vote for the BIF alone, Pelosi shits all over them for not supporting Biden's BIF bill, and either shelve the BBB act or just have Manchin kill it in the senate.

They're dropping Biden's agenda. Will they take it up again? Doubtful, since Manchin is against all of it and he isn't going anywhere.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think that's what's happening

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1456754021956526087

The CPC seems to be holding for now, and this open vote demonstrates that they have the votes to kill BIF. Pelosi can't do anything without the CPC or GOP votes.

Well, that's good to hear. I'm glad to say I was wrong.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

The country is dying. Let the record reflect the Democratic Party of these United States helped it along towards the grave. It is as it always was.

They wanted the death to be bipartisan :v:

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Judge agrees with the defense for Rittenhouse that using pinch and zoom on an iPad showing the video the defense submitted isn’t fair because it alters the image to make it more clear :laffo: literally “you can’t do that because it makes their evidence say something different than they’re claiming it does!”

This is literally a joke from Liar, Liar. Only this time it works.

Defense: Objection! it would be devastating to my case!

Judge: Sustained!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/dallaswoodhouse/status/1458614993126105088?s=21

He’s switching to nowhereland between Charlotte and Raleigh.

The out and out fascists are trying to take over the Republican party, and kick out the "I'm fine with fascism if it keeps my taxes low" Romney types, maybe?

I also hope it blows up in his face.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Well, this is some welcome news. How long until we can expect him in lockup? I imagine they move on these arrest warrants quickly. Does he just sit in jail until he decides to show up to respond to his subpoena?

I don't see his doughy self willingly sit in jail until Jan 2023, the earliest Republicans get control and spring him.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Will any of this actually pass

I have my doubts any of it will pass. Manchin is whinging about debt and inflation, so he has all the excuses he needs to kill it.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

Murphey campaigned on legalizing weed when he was elected the first time. It was one of his core planks. It took them until Feb 2021 to get it passed and they had no idea what it would look like on the other end.

I disagree. It's extremely unreasonable.

It had to be put to a referendum because the senate leader in NJ, Steve Sweeney, held it up a bunch of times. You may know him as the dude who got removed by a guy with a triple digit election fund.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a few months old at this point, but I think it's worth a look at how the "critical race theory" attack often plays out in practice, and why it can't simply be deflected by going "actually, we don't teach the academic theory known as Critical Race Theory here".

Yup. Their mission is to brand any teaching of American history as anything other then "America was always great and wonderful, no genocide or anything like that" is going to be branded as "CRT extremism".

That's why agreeing to ban CRT is a fool's errand and they'll just move the goalposts and keep calling you an extremist for another reason.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

So do these folks actually give a poo poo about college prep, or is that the "whatabouthomelessvets" for schools? I ask, because these seem to be the same shitheads that scream about evolution and new math and poo poo like that.

It's whataboutism, for sure. You start talking about college prep and it suddenly becomes "I'm not sending my kid to a liberal brainwashing camp".

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Kale posted:

My takeaways from the Gosar censuring thing are both to marvel at the fact that they apparently gave a guy like that committee assignments to begin with and to wonder at the sheer howling you'd hear from the GOP if a Democratic house rep had posted a video advocating for violence against Trump while he was president. Hell even so much as disagreeing with anything he said is like sacrilege worthy of the death penalty to the modern GOP so.....

You don't need to wonder. Look at how they responded to Kathy griffin, a d-list celebrity holding that paper mache trump head from last year or 2019. They lost their poo poo; imagine if a dem had done something like that - they'd demand the dem be expelled from congress and some dems would side with Republicans and vote for expulsion.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Dems are really doing an own goal here. They could just kept payments frozen and don't nothing else and people would have been happy, even if he didn't do anything else on student loans. Most people knew that serious forgiveness wouldn't be likely, but capping interest, keeping the payments frozen, *something*.

But it's just "gently caress you, your payments are going to start up again". Considering how little their voter margins are, they really can't afford to piss off their voters.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Would they ever be happy unless we built a border wall out of the bodies of migrant children?

They want a wall with machine guns pointing into Mexico where you pay some money and shoot at Mexicans for a while.

And why would they ask trump voters why they liked Biden? Does hot like cold?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1461541239371698177

Kind of surprised that Cotton thinks this is a good PR move. The only other time it happened it was massively unpopular.

He's probably telling Biden to do it because it was unpopular.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 19, 2021

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Love my President embracing idiotic republican talking points as policy.

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/1463117344843124739?s=21

Like Obama, he probably thinks that if he does what they ask, he might get their support for something else.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

SpartanIvy posted:

Everything Trump did was a win until Biden took office. If Trump had gotten another 4 years all the "issues" today would be "features" until the next Democrat took office.

I have my doubts theres going to be a next Democratic president. The next time Republicans get the trifecta (probably 2024, considering all the supression), they'll pass laws that basically mean you need the house to win the presidency; they will simply never certify a democrat as the winner of a presidental election ever again; they'll cite allegations of fraud and certify the Republican, gently caress the popular vote and EC vote.

If they win house majorities in the midterms, they're seating the republican in 2024 by fiat. Like what they tried to do in 2020, but will have enough votes to pull it off. If the dems sue, a 6-3 Supreme court will side with the Republicans and that's that.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Pandering to the people who just want motion activated machine guns every 6 feet spraying lead at anything that moves within 1000 yards of the border

Come on, don't be ridiculous.

They want to be able to shoot the guns themselves.