Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Trazz posted:

Both of those things come from the same source though: the neo-Confederate right-wing. The propaganda is definitely the strongest in the South, that's for sure

I've not seen much of this in the major cities in NC, however I went up to Cherokee reservation here and like the 2 miles leading up to the border of the reservation was the most concentrated of vile poo poo I've ever seen on billboards/signs it was just sad really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

are you seriously trying to say that mcauliffe is blameless if he loses

How could you possibly get that from what he said?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AhhYes posted:

I do get this sentiment, but man, the mainstream Democrats have done such great things in VA over the last few years.

Yeah this is the weirdest state to pick this fight over, the turnaround there has been amazing compared to almost anywhere else.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The fact that "the Dems did nothing" is being used as an argument in a state like VA where they actually did a ton shows how hollow that argument really is. It doesn't matter what the Dems actually do they will just get hated on, it's similar to the usual "the Dems should do this, oh wait they have been? Well I didn't hear about it from my media bubble so they did it wrong'

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

How kind of you to inform the person who lost a loved one that they should check their privilege

No you aren't

Does losing a loved one make it ok to be happy that now other people are going to lose theirs?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sharkie posted:

Democratic Party members when a Democratic President is in office: "He can't do anything! Don't you see the president is very weak and is trapped in an Iron Cage of Law?!"

Decocratic Party members when a Repub is in office: "Oh no! Somehow the president has broken through the Iron Cage of Law?! And is doing all kinds of things! Gotta vote Democratic to help rebuild the Law Cage"

It's obvious you are sprouting worthless trolling nonsense but many of the things Trump tried to do got shot down by courts specifically because the president does have limited powers.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sanctioning 26 people doesn't seem like an "economic blockade" to me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So should we not be investing in infrastructure then? You seem to be bending backwards to make even the slightest good thing a bad thing at this point, it's just tiresome.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's weird how obsessed people are with giving Trump credit for the payouts for a bill he didn't write and threatened to veto, that the Democrats voted for and wrote parts of and even pushed for more money in. It's like you are going out of your way to reduce things so you can get some pointless jab in.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

If the BBB actually passes are you going to give Biden credit for the parts that he didn't write, that Bernie demanded and pushed for more money in, just curious

No I'm not as I don't feel Biden is doing enough to push this along and I feel in general we put too much blame and credit on the president for things congress does.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

the_steve posted:

Friendly reminder to please argue with the posters and not the thread.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking at this BBB thing and I can't seem to find the part where Biden stuffs thousands of dollars in my bank account like Trump did.

I posted literally after someone responded to this person, does each of us need to quote the same person repeatedly?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yinlock posted:

This is an...interesting way to frame peoples' objections with forcing kids back into crowds in the middle of a pandemic. I'm not sure whether the volume of the posts was ever implied or relevant, you'll have to specify where the "screeching" took place for me.

This framing also implies that the school issue resonated so strongly that it swung the entire election, rather than it being the only issue raised because the other candidate ran on nothing except Not That.

The people voting against the dems wasn't because they were being forced back to school, it was because masks were being mandated, also CRT.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

If Trumps a dictator, he did a pretty bad job at “seizing control” and overturning the election. If his people are Nazis , then the Democrats are collaborators for not prosecuting.

Are you trying to pretend 1/6 didn't happen to score points on the dems? If not what's the point of the scare quotes there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

1/6 happened but to pretend like it was a coup or attempted coup is offensive to you know, people who suffered through real coups in other countries. Actual fascism.

I mean what's the world for encouraging your supporters to charge and attack people at the capital because they are about to validate an election for your enemy?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok so all those people are being locked up for a super long time and the Democrats are spearheading that because they recognize the threat this is, that Trump's supporters are going to start mass killings, right?

I don't think Congress decides individual prison sentences especially of their political enemies or that anyone would want them to have that power, is that what you are proposing here?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hmm, good point. Rule of law is important or we will just become the monster ourselves. So, we can all agree a portion of the population want to violently take over the government and start killing anyone they think doesn't belong but boy it sure seems hard to actually get anyone to do anything about it. If only they were all smoking crack or something, that would get everyone moving.

Can you not be an rear end in a top hat for 5 seconds and answer an honest question? Do you think Congress should have the power to decide how long their political enemies go to prison for, like directly influence ongoing trials?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Please follow the rules, - Keep it civil. US politics suck, but we don't need to get down to name calling here.

And no, I don't think they should. I just think there is a lot of dissonance between Trump supporters are Nazis who are going to kill us and how that is handled. Either we're on the edge of a crisis that no one is equipped to handle or even wants to OR the rhetoric is being used to drive fear for an alternative purpose. I personally think it's the first but it's not surprising others think it's the second.

At what point is taking a simple question and going out of the way to misread it to go on some rant against them civil? So you don't think Congress should be able to set prison sentences on individual trials, then why are you complaining about how they aren't imposing harsh sentences on those from 1/6?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

That may be true. All I’m saying is, the evidence history provides us doesn’t seem to back up the claim that voters don’t reward politicians and parties that enact good policy.

Do you think most voters at the time were aware of any of this? I certainly don’t. These changes to the elected Dem coalition were brought about by the party machine, not popular opposition to the New Deal. No, voters turned out to vote for the party that had brought them social security and labor rights.

You have any proof that both this was the main issue driving out voters and that they voted in anti new deal people because they didn't know? This discussion sparker from an actual deep dive into voter intentions and you are countering it with wide generalizations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Why was this post probated? This makes no sense at all.

Esp given the stated reason "Thinly veiled jabs at posting groups who you disagree with are still jabs at posting groups you disagree with." the TheIncredulousHulk post quoted in that post there is doing the exact same thing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh, how bad could they --

:yikes:

You know every once in a while other forums seem to poo poo on D&D but at least we aren't whatever the hell spawned that red text, GBS I assume?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hobbez posted:

Someone running behind him also shot a gun into the air. They were yelling at him they were going to kill him. Scary poo poo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTW2AJE9MQ

The last 7 minutes of this video has all the footage. Also, the third shooter, as he testified to, aimed at rittenhouse with his handgun before being shot.

Rittenhouse’s story is entirely plausible. Should he have been there? Probably not. Is he a mass shooter nazi? Probably not.

I’ll also say as someone that works in psychiatry Rittenhouse’s crying thru that section of testimony appears to be a legitimate panic attack. I’d be interested to hear from anyone that has firsthand experience with those that doesn’t believe that appears to be a legit panic attic

Maybe he wouldn't been labeled a Nazi if he showed remorse instead of palling around with Nazi's after getting out?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cranappleberry posted:

You mean like people posting about how hospital emergency rooms are filled up with ivermectin overdoses? Or that ivermectin causes infertility in men who take it?

People post stuff like this in this forum, in these threads. It's misinformation and rarely do they self-correct or dive deeper into the subject matter.

You could help to educate people instead of presuming everyone who disagrees or has a different perspective is acting in bad faith. You could post potential solutions or more details instead of misunderstanding my post entirely by conflating people's very real frustrations with me purportedly strawmanning knowing the intricacies of how government works with believing in it. If people think the government is broken, even if they don't know every little detail, they still think that. If they get those details and it still appears to them that the government is unable to translate the soundbites, the promises, into actual, significant results then they'd be right.

There is no test of knowledge to post here. People can share their knowledge if they wish. You are not the arbiter of what gets posted and it's not your job to call out what needs to be here or doesn't, unless you're sharing your perspective in the feedback thread. It's not only not your job, it's bad form to attempt to moderate the content of other people.

I love how your example is some poo poo no one's talked about for ages.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

No, because the people with actual subject matter experience and credentials understand factually what is happening, and you are demanding that your ignorance is superior to their knowledge, because of what you feel is true. Because it lets you shut everyone else and all other discussion down. We are not rationalizing anything, because again, we understand the distinction between descriptively explaining how systems operate, for good or ill, and endorsing every part of the entire government apparatus. Explaining and understanding something is not justifying it. Conversely, the government is not a monolith, and deliberately refusing to address the distinctions, the specifics, the processes of these situations does not make you a canny observer, it makes you powerless to understand or address it.

It may feel like you know how either power or government works, but it is transparent by your repeated and proud statement that you do not care about the facts, that you don't actually care about the specifics of how these things happen, because hearing explanations makes you feel bad - and as a result, you also don't care about how they can be addressed. The only thing you can do with your "insight" into power is shut down any factual discussion of how it operates. You need facts to not matter, for progress to be impossible, and discussion to be futile to preserve the sanctity of your ignorance.

I am not posting about the extractive industry booming or profits or profiting from the extractive industry. In this example, you're shouting down the people who are explaining the details of how the kid-selling industry is getting away with it, and why the entire government is not unified in a kid-selling conspiracy.

I appreciate the loving backhanded attack that you just have to slip in.

No. I, who actually worked in a Congressional office and handled constituent contacts, and at least one other user with some similar form of actual experience, described how members of Congress actually respond to and process constituent contacts and you posted a blog post linking an unrelated study that makes an overbroad assertion about the form of government based on a methodologically suspect correlation of policy outcomes. You did this to claim that contacting members of congress was futile and shouting "into an unresponsive void", something not even the linked article supports. You responded to informed effort by shutting the discussion down with an unrelated and unsupported attack based on the futility of any action.

Past the top levels and depending on agency structure, the white house has less direct control over routine actions of administrative agencies where they're separately following congressional mandates. Congress goes to court and gets a court order when they actually want to enforce a subpoena on an administrative agency; even this doesn't work if the non-appointed staff can find loopholes. For example, FDA's still periodically trying increasingly strained interpretations to assert some degree of authority over certain drug marketing practices after, at this point, more than a decade of contrary federal caselaw. I can explain how that caselaw happened; a right wing legal group removed FDA authority over offlabeling using a combination of first amendment and administrative law cases. I can write effortposts on this subject and the ramifications of it, and explain why FDA can't regulate the relevant offlabel drug promotions. Explaining how and why those cases transpired, and why FDA is stuck, does not mean I am justifying or agreeing with that right wing legal group.

This is basically why me and several of my friends stopped posting here nearly as much, not because of Vox but because of what he's describing there's a concerted effort here to post bullshit sources and dismiss any attempts of people to educate themselves, you can lie and day all Dems are the same and are all secretly aligned on every matter does make it true it just causes pointless slapfights. You get in more trouble for pointing out lies here then posting them and that's the real problem.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I think that any time this sort of thing comes up, where the Biden administration is doing something bad, or not stopping something bad from happening, but there's a procedural reason for why, it would be helpful if the people defending it could ask themselves this simple question:

"Would I be actively defending this if Trump was still president?"

Who's defending what in this situation?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Srice posted:

Yea. I have no faith in electoralism (at least at the federal level. Sometimes good things can happen locally but it takes an obscene amount of work) but it's lovely to think that people who don't believe in it don't want things to get better. Many of them just believe that change has to come from other avenues besides going to the polls.

The problem is people who don't believe in it using it as an excuse those shut down and shout out people trying to squeeze whatever food they can put of a broken system or even trying to understand what's happening. If you don't think it's worth discussing politics because it doesn't matter or whatever why even post here?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Srice posted:

There are more ways to engage with politics than just going to the voting booth every few years to push a button, simple as that.

This is a perfect example, did I say there wasn't or that people shouldn't be active in other ways or did you go out of your way to pretend I was making a different point then I was in order to stifle discussion.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

The only thing the American people know about this bill is what has been stripped out of it, and if they are wealthy enough they will get a big rear end tax cut from it

You really think the American people have been following the bill this closely or is this you just making some poo poo up as some pointless jab?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Gee, I wonder if there was a connection between Trump giving everybody $1800 and him picking up 12 million votes over 2016.

I had mine done via direct deposit, but didn't the $2000 $1400 Biden checks still have Trump's name on them?

Weird how he managed to do that through EO all by himself.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How are u posted:

You realize that even if this occurred it would still be Dems and Biden legalizing it, right?

When the Dems work on a relief bill under Trump and push for more money Trump gets the credit, when the Republicans put forth a shittier version of pot legalization to counter the Dem legalization bill brewing Republicans get credit. The main thing here is that the dems never get the credit unless its bad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Exactly. It’s why it’s easy for conservatives to mockingly say “It’s (D)ifferent” because the Dem governors were openly lying about covid deaths from the beginning:

To assume the deaths would be lower under Hillary when the evidence to the contrary is easily available is to be a willing participant in team sports politics. It’s shameful.

No assuming some actions by a few Dem Governors would apply on the federal level is shameful and just pointless logic dumps to try to own your enemies.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This is all somehow still ignoring that most deaths are due to Republicans politicizing the vaccine and masks therefore driving unprotected to die from Delta, everything you do is try to give cover to the Republicans to blame the Democrats then accuse others of playing team sports or whatever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

The fact that it doesn't seem to have registered that the Democrats already had a federal weed-legalization bill in the works in this subforum before people noticed that tweet about the GOP counterproposal is an amazing example of how hopeless the Democrats apparently are at messaging.

I don't think the Dem messaging is to blame, this is a single tweet from a Freshman senator vs the multiple tweets from Senate Dems around this bill, I think the rush to use this as a cudgel against the dems by two people in the same hour just shows how some people can get stuck in twitter/media bubbles and not really be very informed about the things they want to lash out at others about.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

the_steve posted:

Pretty sure the main idea is to "keep it to your loving self" in those instances.

If you look at someone's Rap Sheet/Post History and conclude that there's a history of trolling or bad faith posting or whatever, then just don't loving engage. Put them on ignore, report their post, scroll down to the next person you want to argue with and go about your day.

The problem is that people are only dragging rap sheets into it so that they can "win" the argument and using prior probes as a thought-killer to avoid engaging with any actual points their perceived posting enemy has brought up.

Exactly you are supposed to engage people like they are always posting in good faith despite them not doing so the past 100 times, even if they are posting in another thread in the forums with the IKs about how they are coming here to troll you, it's very important you don't acknowledge any of that because doing so will get you probed(by the IK in that thread for disagreeing with his friends) but not the person who's trolling the thread with the same bullshit argument for the 100th time(even though you and only you must treat it as the first each time)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Democrats are so out of touch, rich, and separated from America at large they don't realize calling people Nazi's is a losing strategy. Maybe at Trump's second inaugaration they'll figure it out. :buddy:

When you say Democrats do you mean the politicians? or the Dem voters that are way more poor and POC then the Republican voters?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

That's untrue, as I've pointed out before.

The most popular social programs are the universal ones; it's when you create student-loan forgiveness for Pell grant recipients who ran a business in a minority community for three years that raises people's hackles.

But by ventriloquizing what they think that conservatives believe, liberals get themselves off the hook for their own opposition to universal programs, as well as absolve themselves for any advocacy or even support of universal programs.

eta: An example is GOP support of price controls for prescription drugs, which is 75-80 percent. No one on the right is saying "everyone should pay less for drugs except for those people."

vvv Oh ho ho, let me take you back in the time machine to the 2020 dem primaries and the liberal FUD against M4A, both among candidates & the media.

How do you not constantly ventriloquize what Liberals believe though? Why is this a one way street where you can blame the dems and libs for every evil ever but anytime anyone mentions conservatives or voters or anything you jump in with "you can't judge a group of people like that this is why all libs are the devil"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cow Bell posted:

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds. Advocating someone get 40 years for the high crime of dressing like an idiot during a riot is tantamount to torture. Absolutely an insane opinion to hold.

Might as well tell the qanon shaman not to drop the soap and look out for Bubba while you're at it.

His crime wasn't "dressing like an idiot" it was being part of a group of people charging the capital for the express purpose of stopping the election from being validated via violence, why continue to go out of your way to give actual fascist behavior a pass in order to own the libs?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What is this bullshit, you are willing to advocate for people who want to overthrow the government but saying posters here want to literally murder people instead this is a new level of pathetic trolling.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

Hell the fbi probably radicalized s lot of these people.

I feel like this line is used too much to justify the bad poo poo the right does.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Lol, we've gone from "All Republicans aren't nazis, stop being so absurd," to "CRT Conspiracy theories have some legitimate concerns and the people against it are just IDpol Culture Warriors," to "The left should integrate Anti-CRT talking points instead of opposing the people voting to burn books for having LGBTQ characters," to "January 6 was just a few scamps embarrassing the stupid dumb-o-crats," in less than three weeks on this forum. What the gently caress happened?

There's a group of people that hate the libs so much they consume a large amount of right wing media to find new ways to attack them, this affects a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Oh yeah , those guys were totally gonna capture Pelosi and hog tie her up and ask her where her Icecream stash is!(That’s not a coup)

Some guy put his feet up on Pelosis desk !

AOC was afraid! There are citizens milling about in the Capitol! (Not a coup)

I’m just amazed at the bloodthirst for people to be locked up and forgotten about for a riot.

You know many people were injured and killed during this right?