Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

BRJohnson posted:

I don't understand the consistent focus on Virginia in here (not that it bothers me). Just trying to understand.

Is it the only close gubernatorial, or has Virginia special significance / potential in congress?

Also, I only see Bernie's posts in here these days but we should all be stanning him constantly and maybe make him into some kind of modern Steve Rogers, right? The guy's great, and he's a launchpad to discussions about how some politicians can be good and *gasp* maybe they're (exclusively) democrats / leftists!

It's one of the few off-year governor elections, and it's been a lot more high profile than the other (NJ) because it's a +10 dem state with an outgoing dem governor that appears to be going republican as of right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

haveblue posted:

So why don't we pin it to the other direction, where it gets lighter earlier and also darker earlier? Just stop with the switching already

Because it gets dark too early in certain areas when it's the other way around.

This is basically a fight between people in areas where it gets dark too early vs. areas where it is dark too late in the morning. (oversimplification here)

AKA the easternmost people in timezones vs. westernmost.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

haveblue posted:

OK, let's redivide America into two time zones, DST and ST, cut where mountain meets central today

nah, let's just divide each time zone in half and make them half hour increments

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1460306717154099209

Likely candidates are:

D Side

Pete Welch
Becca Balint

R Side

???

Scott is the only Republican candidate that had a shot at winning, so it will probably be some state Representative or self-funding businessperson.

Can it please not be Pete Welch? The dude is already 74.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this country has had a fairly bad track record with tv-personalities-turned-politicians, right? maybe we don't need another one

Franken was pretty good until he resigned.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

It's even worse now. That chart is from 2013.

In 2020, it went from 8 states where a non-coach was the highest paid to 2.

2? Where are you getting your data from (legitimate question)? I'm only finding sources that still list:

Alaska
Delaware
Maine
Massachusetts
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont

I know MA the best, living there. The Chancellor of the Medical school is at $1.1 million per year, and I know for a fact that both the men's football and men's basketball coaches are less than a million per year. Also relevant in MA, the hockey coach is less than a million.

I just googled each state individually and saw that URI and UVM both have basketball coaches as their top now. The rest listed other people.

Sax Mortar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

It was from 2020 data by USA Today.

But, it looks like they accidentally included private schools:

There is also some quibbling about "total compensation" vs. salary.

In Mass, it is very close on salary alone, but they don't list anyone as making $1.1 million:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/09/23/these-are-the-highest-paid-public-employees-in-every-state/114091534/

Okay, so that means it actually didn't get worse then in terms of states with the highest paid employees being coaches.