Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
We are doing it wrong, you have to go the Ankh-Morpork way... you buy the invading armies weapons... all of them. Then throw a party and everyone gets so drunk you forget what you were fighting about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Literally had my conservative cousin tell me there shouldn't be college aid relief because he never got any support!*

*he got his college paid by the GI Bill.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Does he have a diagnosed condition that contributed to his crime?

Yes and no.

quote:

Federal Bureau of Prisons had diagnosed Chansley with transient schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety. But, he said, the agency did not determine that Chansley was mentally incompetent.

https://www.businessinsider.com/qanon-shaman-mental-illness-diagnosis-in-plea-negotiations-report-2021-7?op=1

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, and that's fine by me. I only reject the framing of the riot as a political coup.

Why? There has been plenty of evidence that it was. Right up to people using violence to stop the election from being certified. They killed people to stop it. There is video.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Cow Bell posted:

A coup usually involves a certain amount of planning, conspiring, and political wheeling and dealing that doesn't really seem applicable to the group of rubes that are actually getting in trouble.

"usually" is holding a lot of weight here.

So it wasn't planned enough despite the intent, purpose and direct actions of those involved that relied on them coordinating to travel great distances, meet up and then as a group move to the Capital at the exact same time as election certification was happening there? Sure... okay... ya.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 17, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

This is where I stand on it. If it was actually an attempted coup (and I agree that it was), then the Dems should have acted swiftly to remove the instigators from Congress. Instead we got a second meaningless impeachment of Trump followed by endless committees, and just now they're cracking down on a few rank and file chucklefucks.

Like for gently caress's sake, Matt Gaetz is still a sitting congressman and he's been accused of sex trafficking. The Dems are just gonna yell and pound the table but not actually do anything about it.

I love it when people blame every democrat for not doing something when all it would take is some Republicans to do the right thing instead. The US Constitution gives Congress the ability to impeach federal officials and judges, but not its own members. They can only be removed by expulsion, which requires a 2/3 vote. Dems don't have the votes, and Republicans aren't going to find a conscience.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I want a superman comic where Superman just never helps anyone and explains to them how he would fail if he tried because the evil guys are stronger so he's just not going to try.

Yes, the US Congress is a superhero punching villians and not a deliberative body. Seems like you are giving Republicans a free pass so you can blame something on the Democrats.

Wang Commander posted:

The executive has inconceivable, invisible, and unaccountable means of coercion and should use them.

Go on, what inconceivable means should the executive branch use... oh god, you are talking about nukes again, right? :aaa:

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 18, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sorry, it's an Extended Universe comic where Superman got his powers by being elected on the promise of using them to stop things from happening and to do good things and then he explains how it's too hard so he can't try. It mirrors how we elect people and give them outsized power in our society and they then use that outsized power to explain how it's too hard to do the things they said they were going to do. Maybe Superman can call his enemy a fascist the entire election and then shake his hand and call him his good friend once he gets his super powers.

You'd just blame the democrats for calling a vote that failed anyway. Without Republican support it's literally impossible to expel a US Congressmember. But yes, keep trying to score points against Democrats while giving the Republicans who could actually do something about their own members a free pass.

BTW, Cori Bush submitted a resolution to expel Jan 6 members. I am sure you are outraged that the Republican's haven't supported it or done a similar resolution.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I just hate the Republicans for what they do and I hate the Democrats for failing to meet their promises about fixing that the Republicans do. It's very simple to understand if you earnestly believe me when I say things instead of thinking I'm "scoring" points. There's no where to even track the points so how am I scoring?

Maybe I'd feel you were more ingenuous if you weren't suggesting the Democrats do something they literally have no power in doing, but even then they are trying, while never mentioning the other side that does have all the power to do it, but isn't.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Cranappleberry posted:

I realize the dems don't have a stranglehold on their caucus. I also realize that most congressional republicans sided with Trump/adhere to Mcconnell's strategy of refusinghi to aid the dems in anything/ are radicalized BUT there have been other times of rampant partisanship in US history when congress has responded promptly and strongly to threats to the liberal government and the idea and system if democracy. Often it required strong leadership from the president, but even so.

Its a question of actually taking it seriously and wielding the power they have within the confines of the law. They are saying its reaally bad. They are running on how bad it is, and fir a bit, much if tge oyblic was behind them.

But they were slow in taking action and were not using the full extent of their powers to take decisive action.

Meanwhile the public's attention has moved to issues more pressing to them. The problem of trump and republicans undermining the government and election processes continues to fester. The media landscape that allows rapid purveying of false information and aids radicalization is still present.

What does that say to you?

That not enough public pressure is being put on the Republicans for being horrible monsters, while everyone in the media is fanning themselves on the fainting couch about the weak democrats. Again, the only way to expel members of congress is to convince other Republicans to vote against their worst members. Democrats aren't going to convince them of that, so it has to come from within or pressure from the public.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Any reason why the Biden Admintration couldn't have or shouldn't have just ignored Trump's agreement/plan and done the "right" things instead (whatever the "right" things are)?

Yes, there was a cease fire that was conditional on the plan happening.

https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Agreement-For-Bringing-Peace-to-Afghanistan-02.29.20.pdf

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

snorch posted:

Is this just idle conjecture on your part or are you actually basing it on something?

See every previous President in regards to War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

follow that camel!! posted:

I feel like Oz’s position of “While elites with yards tell those without yards…” isn’t getting made fun of enough. Yards are divisive now?

Has been since White Flight.