Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I too like to throw away information that doesn't line up with my worldview

How about this one
https://twitter.com/nataliemj10/status/1455139127465291785

Another report showing some rather alarming trends.

What point are the survey in the previous post and the survey in this post meant to cumulatively support other than some general call to "be alarmed!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

You do need to exist to get it yes.

There are income limits as well

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
There are at most a few thousand votes represented by people reading this forum, and I'm pretty sure most of them are not in swing states. Whatever you believe in regarding what's the morally correct vote, please talk about it on twitter or something where someone might actually read it, for gently caress's sake. It's not any of the opinions here that bother me, it's the egregious failure of efficiency in promoting whatever voting behavior you think is good.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Which is completely different from the current situation.

In degree of magnitude, yeah. Anyway, nobody is ever going to altruistically run a country of hundreds of millions of people. It's a fantasy. It's not a thing homo sapiens are willing to do. Culture can change and regular people can learn to be less selfish, sure absolutely. But not political leaders of massive nations. Best case scenario is having a high enough number of competing factions selfishly vying for power that they have more need to curry favor with the public.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 3, 2021

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

It would be wiser to stop blaming lefties & calling them trumpers bc of dems losing bc of not doing what voters elected them to do.

Why what difference does it make

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

I don't know how to feel about this, it's been clear for some time that the Reps do better when Trump keeps his fat loving mouth shut, and he seems to be able to do that.

He's just bad at finding alternative platforms with actual reach, same as he's bad at most things other than Being Trump. But yeah the outcome is similar.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

The Republicans aren't interested in working with progressives to ratfuck centrists.

It's almost like the problem from the start has been that we don't have power and don't have any real path to get it.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

How is recognizing the fact the US is moving in an authoritarian direction "doomerism" and cause to just "be optimistic :) :) :)"

Tons of democratic countries have gone autocratic recently, the US isn't special.

It is a pretty huge and decentralized political entity compared to those countries, though. Doesn't mean full-on fascism can't happen here, just means it can/will play out differently, and balkanization is more of a possibility.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ayyeee contempt great way to get people to vote.

Parents have been miserable because of the poo poo pandemic response for almost two years.

I don't think the articles are written with the aim of getting people to vote

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think those arguing Biden can not do XYZ because of fear or expectation judges will strike down EOs are arguing in bad faith. If anything, judges striking down EOs would actually be a benefit when Trump sweeps in 2024. Honestly we either get good EOs or on the books rulings that limit the presidents power.

It is a win win situation.

This just seems like you're saying they're uh, wrong. Arguing in bad faith would be like if they legitimately did not want student debt to be forgiven and were hiding behind rules, or were just posting to piss off people who want student debt forgiven, or something like that.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Exactly. I can not see a logical reason to argue against doing this other than:

That is how I take those comments, yes.

There is no reason for the president to try a barrage of popular EOs to get the job done. There are only benefits. To argue otherwise while claiming to be progressive just does not logically make sense.

People are suffering and need the president to support them. Those suggesting the president give up due to potentially making judges mad sounds like they come from a place of privilege.

That's fine but coming from a place of privilege and/or being unproductively stuck in rules lawyer mode is not the same as arguing in bad faith. Failing to follow the same logical train of thought as you, is not the same as arguing in bad faith. Why are these buzzwords necessary when people simply have wrong opinions.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I think everyone wants those things to happen, but I still think the arguments are bad faith because they're rationalizations for why it's ok for Biden not to use the power of the office, not any real principled belief.

So just say they're rationalizing. The only thing I can guess is that you're arguing that they're 'lying to themselves' and that somehow that's a form of bad faith argument, but no. Bad faith refers to a willful deception. To be clear, I can't think of any actual argument against the substance of what you're saying. It does in fact look pretty fuckin bad in terms of Biden actually having any interest in helping people who need help, just based on my limited knowledge of what's going on. It's just the abuse of overused terms that's driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Meatball posted:

He's not negotiating in good faith and apparently nobody in the house or senate has noticed.

What would they do about it if they did notice