Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Kavros posted:

I think the texas abortion ban might have been designed intentionally to send to the supreme court, based on a strategy of purposefully including extremely horrible parts as sacrificial buffers.

If the abortion ban was just the 6 week/heartbeat thing, they would just have to up or down the process and the news would be "Supreme court allows/denies abortion ban"

Instead they can now ever so graiously strip off entire wads of the whole blatantly unconstitutional abortion bounty hunter / citizen deputizing bullshit, carving down the majority of the bill

... but, of course, leave the actual abortion ban in place in service of their demented ideology.

The reason why I think they're playing these games is because they're at least aware that they have to play it carefully with the legitimacy of the supreme court. Like, they know they can't just go all-in on the process of restructuring american law in service of a narrow right-wing dominant attitude.

The upcoming Mississippi case is likely a decision between SCOTUS allowing TRAP laws to gut Roe without technically overturning it, or outright overturning it, so the Texas case won't matter by next summer.

I'd guess they'll probably shoot down the Texas case, since it lets Roberts "preserve the image of the court", while also heading off any attempts by states like California to pass similar Calvinball laws allowing people to sue gun owners or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a chance that this ends up like the OJ Simpson case, where a jury lets Rittenhouse walk, but he's subsequently bankrupted by civil suit?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
https://t.co/8EudLQNj07?amp=1

I assume this means SCOTUS is going to decide the Texas abortion law is unconstitutional because of the "Constitutional Calvinball" aspect that dodged judicial review, but there will be zero mention of abortion.

That way, SCOTUS can claim they're not just partisan hacks, generate various fawning editorials in the NY Times, and then gut Roe V Wade in December, all while preventing a progressive state from passing a Texas-style law that targets gun owners or large corporations instead of pregnant women.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

General_Disturbed posted:

I have not seen or heard Kid Rock in years. And I live in the deepest of the deep CHUD south. And have tons of relatives who absolutely loved him and listened to his big album that came out like 20 years ago. No idea if anyone actually unironically listens to him in TYOOL 2021.

His biggest hit of the last decade (and maybe longer than that) successfully rhymed "things" with "things", so obviously he's a musical genius, up there with that weird, inbred-looking pro-trump white rapper who showed up last year.