Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Deplatforming conservative speech shouldn't just happen on Twitter it should happen everywhere including some random pilot on a Southwest flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gumball Gumption posted:

I do not know how people square believing that half the country wants to commit a genocide and also the strongest action to take against them is not visiting for Thanksgiving.

If you're not violently attacking your grandma you're not doing enough.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nix Panicus posted:

If the only way to save democracy is to vote for a candidate you do not agree with over a candidate that you do, then democracy has already failed

That's quite literally the American political system though and has been since it was started? Because the person who wins gets 100% of the power you have to go with the person who has the highest likelihood of winning and also agrees the closest to your politics. And McAuliffe at least will rubber stamp a lot of progressive legislation going through VA. I agree it should be different but without a massive upheaval and complete change of the constitution we're stuck with bullshit.

Gripweed posted:

There's one thing I've never understood about the anti-third party argument. If a vote for Blanding is actually a vote for Youngkin because it's taking a vote away from McAuliffe, wouldn't a vote for Youngkin then technically be two votes for Youngkin because it's taking away a vote for McAuliffe and giving it to Youngkin?

But in that case, how do Democrats ever expect to win when their opponent's votes count twice as much as theirs?

Because generally people who want more progressive candidates don't protest vote by voting for superfascist.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cranappleberry posted:

I see that you agree that it should be different so general question- how has this worked out for us so far? In the most recent democratic presidential primary?

I mean, in the 2016 primary for Republicans the shittier side definitely got Their Guy in and then a bunch of poo poo rear end "moderate" Republicans bit the bullet and voted for a person they didn't necessarily agree with but gently caress it we're Republicans!

Nix Panicus posted:

So American democracy has always been a sham to funnel power towards people you disagree with who are willing to take hostages. Not a take I expected to see D&D admit to, but I can't disagree with the truth of the statement.

If the main party candidate knows would be third party voters who would prefer more leftwing positions will always cave at the last moment and strategically vote for them with zero concessions then why would they ever make those concessions? Demands for change with no consequences can be easily ignored.

I figured it's a pretty popular idea in D&D that America is a broken political system built by slave owning rich white men to keep power for themselves and we're all just trying to do our best in this nightmare.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There were a bunch of people blaming Trump's 2020 loss on Libertarian voters just like there were a bunch of people blaming his 2016 win on Green Party candidates.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This are a lot of posts with a lot of words that do zero reflection on the failure of the Dem party to run a candidate that would energize people to voting for policies that would benefit their community.

So much gnashing at the teeth for a guy who’s only campaign strategy was “I’m not Trump.”

Newsflash: peoples lives get worse whether a bad Dem or a Republican is elected because they are functionally identical for meaningful things like healthcare. A family member of mine is dead thanks to the inaction of the democrats on healthcare. Spare me your outrage and lectures about harm reduction. This loss is on the Democratic Party and you blaming me for laughing at their hubris isn’t going to suddenly make the Dems a winning party with ideas the public with find worth voting for.

Except that in Virginia people's lives objectively got better under the bad Dems. How much better is arguable but it did get better.

Life will not get better at all under Republicans. Them winning is not, in any way, good. No not even as a lesson to the establishment or whatever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Voting is not a hostage situation or an abusive partner promising to change if we take them back.

Either the political party offers a clear reason to stick with them or they don’t. Blaming the voters is disgusting and downright heinous. Put the blame where it belongs: the Democratic Party.

Again, bolding this time, a number of peoples lives don’t improve under a bad Dem or a Republican. They just stay bad.

You can bold it however much you want but it doesn't make it true. It has been posted many times the things Dems have passed in Virginia that directly helped people including things like Medicaid expansions that gave 400,000 low income people insurance.

It's not a "hostage situation" to say these "bad dems" have done things to change Virginia for the better and people have been working their asses off, including people on this forum, to make it that way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat it we were finally shipping Rahm out of the country and this guy is screwing it up. We had it all planned, just lock the doors and turn out the lights as soon as he was gone.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it really that dumb to try to tie a politician to another incredibly unpopular politician?

Hold on I'm getting word about the 2020 election...

HE GOT HOW MANY VOTES?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Any politician that does away with those lovely high power headlights and somehow stops robocalls will have a job for life.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

He went seeking trouble, found it, and reacted poorly to the environment, murdering two people. That is not self-defense.

In a world of George Zimmermans it apparently is. Just follow people you don't like with your gun, antagonize them, and shoot them, and it's all legal.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wait I thought the liberals were the ones who didn't want us to punish fascists because "they're human beings and we don't want to stoop to their level"? Did that change?

Can I no longer laugh when a Nazi gets punched?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fister Roboto posted:

I know this is quibbling, but I really wish people would stop calling them moderate Dems. They're conservatives.

American conservatism is about drowning anyone who isn't a rich white man in a well. American moderates are about giving those people in the well some snorkels.

There is a subtle difference.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not to get political or anything but I think Weird Al isn't all that weird in the grand scheme of things.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TGLT posted:

While it's definitely a gun that would have killed some one, it is also a Taurus Judge so it's probably the worst handgun he could have picked. It's basically a gun for idiots that want to look cool.

So every gun you see someone open carrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Yes, note that most of the defendants are broke / in prison / were in prison so this trial was mostly about preventing them from getting funding in the future and publicly pantsing them.

Blood from a nazi stone and all that.

It also works the other way around. You can get blood from Nazis with stones.