Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

:psyboom:

What the gently caress is in the water at the Denny's that gives the older people in this country severe brain damage?
Un-ironically, they were all basically inhaling led for a good amount of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I think one of the most telling things about the modern Democrats is the way they effectively split broad groups into smaller cohorts by way of means testing. Like in a functional country a social welfare bill would straightforwardly benefit people in a broad package that improved living. An underserviced and increasingly at-risk group in this country are adults of working age who ride just near the poverty line; it's a huge demographic. But then we take that demo and we turn it into parents, home-owners, skilled vs unskilled labor, healthy vs disabled, etc, in order to cut smaller demographics out of the wider group, leaving healthy, parentless, apartment-renting adults struggling with poverty with absolutely nothing. Doubly so for minorities.
I think it's correct that we should service all people, but we should be equitable about it. Someone who has kids or has sever physical disabilities should get different supports than someone who is just a single person. The issue is that the baseline of what's being offered to anyone is poo poo at the moment.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Can't wait for him to try to solve a budget shortfall by selling an NFT of a picture of Madison Square Garden
It's the moment where an NFT of the Brooklyn Bridge is sold in which life and satire find their perfect singularity.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not making Abrams VP was a huge loving mistake.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

What happened with this anyway, like why Harris specifically over people who's competence and likability were so much higher? Did Harris have enough Hilary supporters that would've stayed home or was it something else?
She had a relationship with Biden's son, had what were pretty superficial Progressive bonafides, and despite her 2020 performance, polled pretty well.

But honestly, I forget she's VP most of the time and Biden is probably overall a better President than she would be. I think after Georgia, a VP Abrams would really feel like an historical force of nature. My guess is that she was passed over for perceived lack of experience while also hoping she would become the Georgia governor.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Flayer posted:

This verdict gives more impetus to resistance. I'm extremely left leaning and would vote communist if I had the option. I don't think it's wrong to travel to a protest and I don't think it's wrong to defend yourself. I'm not glad that people died but I'm not against political violence, I welcome it from the left.
The belief that this case offers precedent that will be applied to non-white people or anyone Left of Center is showing a lot more faith in the system than I feel like anyone else here has.

The issue isn't political violence. The issue is that a white little boy wanted to play cowboy, an older boy threw a plastic bag at him and acted mean, so the little boy freaked out, murdered him, and then freaked out and murdered another person who wanted to make sure that he no longer had the murder weapon he was still holding. We live in a nation that is designed to coddle loving cowards.

You can see it reflected in the piece of poo poo judge who despite his baffling judgement lives in a world that is designed to uplift his belief that he is just a smart and objective arbiter of righteousness.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
wait am I a fake leftist because I had a baby?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yes, the world is not going to literally end. But Haiti for example is probably hosed within the next century and is already being severely impacted by climate change. Like there just is probably no foreseeable happy ending for them. It was a state born of the only successful victories against white supremacy, spent centuries struggling, and now the state as we currently know it will almost definitely be forever devastated by the greed of the very type of global powers it was borne in rebellion against. And the Biden's administration response to what might be a relatively minor crisis compared to what is going to come shows little hope that help is on its way.

When we die, we get to know that our families and friends go on. That is what makes an individual's death distinguishable from the end of the world. But there really are probably going to be people on our planet who are not just going to die from climate change, but die knowing that their way of life, their people, their culture, and their home are absolutely hosed. And I don't think that the fact that some other people--many of whom are much more responsible for this disaster than they are-- is a pretty cold comfort.

That is to say, I have no doubt that the human race is probably going to make it through. I think my privileged white rear end will probably be relatively fine. But I do think there are people on this planet who will face a scale of catastrophe that is for them indistinguishable from the end of the world. And I think people should keep perspective on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

It’s not that children are just another debt, it’s that bosses and jobs and lovely middle managers know that those with children are much more likely to put up with toxic bullshit for far longer because children are expensive as all get out and they need the benefits, etc. For that reason, they’re far less likely to say gently caress you, I quit.
From my experience, I actually really, really disagree.

I'm in my early thirties right now and I found that for most of my professional life I've had productivity brain where I feel vaguely guilty if I'm not actively working or doing something. The thing is that when you have a baby, there is sort of a primal redefinition of what it means to do something. Singing for fifty minutes is doing something, laying on the floor with your child while they do tummy time is doing something, laying half naked with your kid nuzzles into your chest is doing something, mouthing out vowel sounds is doing something, slowly wiping poop out of their genitals with the precision of a diamond cutter is doing something. Doing something stops being about efficiency and output that the market trains young workers to believe it is.

You're right that the demands of money are high and I totally get that. As a teacher I'm sort of navigating how my values extend to how I want to raise my kid and serve him. As a white parent in America, I live in a system that leverages my child in order for me to further serve the interests of white supremacy. But I do think that people make a mistake when they consider how the modern worker is controlled. It is ultimately through the promise of money, but it is often through creating a culture of work. A culture of being defined by your job. The reason that Amazon gets away with taking away people's bathroom breaks for example is because you have enough workers who buy into the idea that giving yourself an UTI is good work ethic.

But when you have a baby, suddenly you have this new demand. You have this sort of primal call and competion to the workplace and its culture. I'm not saying that you're entirely wrong of course and it's not all black and white and everyone is different.

But I disagree with the idea of a child necessarily making you further the slave of capital.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying that having children makes you into a Leftist warrior, but it's not as cut and dry as you make it.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 21, 2021