Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
It's election day at the state and local level, and since it's all I'm going to read about and post about today here is a thread for others to do so as well

TMac gonna lose lol

1️⃣ Virginia (where else to start?):

—Gov race is the one we're all looking at
—Dems also defend Assembly (GOP needs +5 to tie)
—Combined: do Dems keep trifecta?
—Two other statewide races: LG & AG
—Watch prosecutor race in Chesapeake (most others decided in primary or at filing)

2️⃣ Pennsylvania

—A (GOP-held) seat on Supreme Court!
—3 other statewide judgeships
—Hot battles for county control across the state
—Conservative money poured into school board
—Progs seek to confirm progress on local judges
—Ds favored for Pittsburgh mayor, Philly DA (Krasner)

3️⃣ Colorado:

—Referendum could cut property taxes
—Another could increase pot tax for ed
—Boulder votes on housing occupancy
—Big D/R battle for Aurora's council (site of Mike Coffman's comeback)
—School board clashes: Right is making a big push in Douglas, Mesa, El Paso, more

4️⃣ Iowa:
—Keep an eye on a local referendum in Polk County (that's Des Moines) on $$ for water & land conservation

5️⃣ Maine:
—Satewide: A costly campaign on a power line, & a vote on $$ for transportation
—Portland could overhaul city gov. Also votes on homeless shelter limits

6️⃣ Arizona:
—Tucson votes on a $15 minimum wage, amid national debate where state senior has been prominent

7️⃣ New Mexico:
—Mayoral races in Santa Fe & Albuquerque, where mayor faces the "law & order" sheriff
—Right's "CRT" push to win school board plays out here too

8️⃣ Florida
—GOP seek to defend Miami's mayorship
—Watch St. Petersburg's mayoral & redistricting votes

9️⃣ Texas
—Referendum to bar restrictions on religious services
—... & tighten judicial eligibility
—... & to set up a new judicial commision
—Watch Dem-held legislative special

1️⃣0️⃣ New Hampshire:
—Manchester's mayoral race always hotly disputed
—GOP lawmaker runs in Laconia, talks of "indoctrination"

1️⃣1️⃣Connecticut:
—Many cities elect their mayor. Watch Hamden, New Haven, Danbury...
—GOP slate aims for Guilford school board over recognition of racism

1️⃣2️⃣ Louisiana:

—A referendum to cut income tax
(—And 3 other budgetary/tax referenda)
—New Orleans sheriff's race, with longtime dismal jail conditions in backdrop
—New Orleans mayoral race

Note: Early voting is on, but Louisiana's ED is Nov. 13th. Then December for runoffs.

1️⃣3️⃣ Michigan
—Dearborn may elect its 1st Arab-American mayor
—Left eyes progress for Detroit council. Also: Mayoral
—Legislative specials in red seats

1️⃣4️⃣ Georgia:
—Atlanta votes for new mayor. (Likely runoff.) Council drawing lots of eyes too.
—Leg. special in blue seat

1️⃣5️⃣ Minnesota:

—Minneapolis votes for mayor & council (in crowded, heated ranked-choice)...
— ... and on creating "Dept of Public Safety"
—... and on enabling rent control in the future
—St Paul votes on instituting rent control [this is a stronger measure than in Minneapolis]

1️⃣6️⃣, 1️⃣7️⃣ ,1️⃣8️⃣: Kentucky, Mississippi, & Rhode Island.

This is the land of legislative specials that are probably safe holds but may nevertheless be worth keeping an eye on.
—3 GOP-held seats in KY
—3 Dem-held seats in MS
—1 Dem-held seat in RI

1️⃣9️⃣ Washington
—Seattle's mayoral & council races have big ideological contrasts
—Just as Seattle's city attorney (=lower-level prosecutor) race
—King County executive is challenged from left
—Here too, watch school board elections
—In *December*: recall vote on Kshama Sawant

2️⃣0️⃣ Ohio
—Cleveland referendum meant to increase police oversight
—Cleveland's mayoral race has drawn attn & progressive involvement
—Cincinnati also votes for mayor (2 Dems too)

2️⃣1️⃣ Oregon
—Recall effort vs school board member who wanted to remove BLM/LGBTQ signs from schools

2️⃣2️⃣ Massachusetts:

—Big progressive push around Boston's mayoral race
—Boston referendum for a participatory budgeting process
— ... & on electing a school board
—Left has organized around council races in Cambridge, Somerville
—GOP defending a rare legislative seat in special

2️⃣3️⃣ Kansas:
—Mayoral races in Overland Park, Kansas City, Topeka

2️⃣4️⃣ New Jersey:

—Dems seek to keep the trifecta they gained in 2017. That means:
—Dem governor seeks re-election
—Assembly & Senate are on ballot (Dems very favored)
—Key person involved in Bridgegate seeks comeback
—Watch Bergen County's sheriff race

2️⃣5️⃣ New York:

—Referenda on voting, e.g. same-day reg
—Walton vs Brown in Buffalo
—Important Erie County sheriff
—Adams & Bragg now favored in NYC. Watch council
—Fossella comeback
—Leg specials
—Nassau & Suffolk heated for DA & county gov
—Syracuse, Broome, other heated races

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1455263947490217993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Suck my dick

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

in Erie County, PA, there’s an election battle for County Executive between Brenton Davis (R) and Tyler Titus (D).

Brenton Davis is basically Trump-lite if Trump were a veteran. Here’s Brenton’s actual picture and his campaign poster:

Brenton has heavily embellished his military career, telling everyone he put boots on the sand and fought the Taliban in urban warfare when he only served on a ship.

https://www.eriereader.com/article/brenton-davis-military-claims-disputed

What’s wild is that people are doing mental gymnastics to validate his claim, ignoring the fact that he never set foot in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Brenton has a podcast he does and touts himself as “Working Man Brenton Davis” and his show is always live from “Working Man Mountain” :jerkbag:

Tyler Titus is currently the president of Erie School Board, has a doctorate in Social Work and has a ton of experience in working with disadvantaged people, people in poverty and a number of other social issues.

https://www.tylertitus.com/bio

He’s also a transgender man and this has made a lot of the hard core Republican candidates for other local offices take off their masks and tell us how they really feel. If Tyler wins the tears will be flowing and the open hate posts on Facebook will be non stop.

Additionally this campaign has had over $1m poured into it which is probably the most of any Erie County executive race ever.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My state is important! Wooooo

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i forgot to send in my philly mail-in ballot until sunday so it might not get accepted. didnt seem to be much important on there so w/e. titus looks cool, hope he wins

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
thanks for making this thread and putting the effort in, OP.

Rynn posted:

in Erie County, PA, there’s an election battle for County Executive between Brenton Davis (R) and Tyler Titus (D).

Brenton Davis is basically Trump-lite if Trump were a veteran. Here’s Brenton’s actual picture and his campaign poster:

Brenton has heavily embellished his military career, telling everyone he put boots on the sand and fought the Taliban in urban warfare when he only served on a ship.

https://www.eriereader.com/article/brenton-davis-military-claims-disputed

What’s wild is that people are doing mental gymnastics to validate his claim, ignoring the fact that he never set foot in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Brenton has a podcast he does and touts himself as “Working Man Brenton Davis” and his show is always live from “Working Man Mountain” :jerkbag:

Tyler Titus is currently the president of Erie School Board, has a doctorate in Social Work and has a ton of experience in working with disadvantaged people, people in poverty and a number of other social issues.

https://www.tylertitus.com/bio

He’s also a transgender man and this has made a lot of the hard core Republican candidates for other local offices take off their masks and tell us how they really feel. If Tyler wins the tears will be flowing and the open hate posts on Facebook will be non stop.

Additionally this campaign has had over $1m poured into it which is probably the most of any Erie County executive race ever.

I have never heard of this race before but now I deeply hope Tyler Titus wins.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will note I noticed a sharp change in ad spend for Mcauliffe over the last few days shifting from "Youngkin is trump" to "Jobs jobs jobs" so maybe he got the message everyone here has been harping on for weeks that "my opponent sucks" isn't a message to motivate your own base or suppress the other

But as usual with poo poo-rear end democrats, it was probably far too little and far too late so I look forward to my state being driven into whatever nightmare Youngkin has dreamed up for us

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Voting lmao

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Krasner almost certainly doesn't need my vote in order to win reelection, but my polling place is literally across the street from my house and my neighbor will be pissed off because he's a big cop-lover, so I can find 5-10 minutes to run up the score.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
im going to vote to nuke the united states of america

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

croup coughfield posted:

im going to vote to nuke the united states of america

pls start with my town tia

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I will note I noticed a sharp change in ad spend for Mcauliffe over the last few days shifting from "Youngkin is trump" to "Jobs jobs jobs" so maybe he got the message everyone here has been harping on for weeks that "my opponent sucks" isn't a message to motivate your own base or suppress the other

But as usual with poo poo-rear end democrats, it was probably far too little and far too late so I look forward to my state being driven into whatever nightmare Youngkin has dreamed up for us

Pretty much the same here. Was getting generic "VOTE!" ads for weeks which is insane since they didn't say who to vote for exactly. Finally started seeing some actual "hey I'm standing for science!" this week which is at least some sort of campaign plank.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Nov 2, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If someone working for VA dems asks if you voted, just say "yes, I followed Terry's instructions to vote, and voted for Princess Blanding!"

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I hope the young leftist wins my city council seat in St. Louis Park. He probably won’t, though.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Also I predict Minneapolis won’t vote to redo police department and create public safety thingy. Black families are split on it and Linden Hills white people will certainly vote for the current department to remain.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Krasner almost certainly doesn't need my vote in order to win reelection, but my polling place is literally across the street from my house and my neighbor will be pissed off because he's a big cop-lover, so I can find 5-10 minutes to run up the score.

:yeah:

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
lol, lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wrote in hillary clinton for every position

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

gently caress I've been owned

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thamks

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Voted in Minneapolis. My sense is that the mayor is going to eat poo poo, crossing my fingers for questions 2 and 3.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Im looking forward to another year of not being in a newsroom waiting for loving hours into the night to call people up and ask them to publicly say how hard they got owned and what coping words they might have for their loser rear end supporters

I might only make $27k to do it but the publisher got us free pizza!!!!!! :cool:😎#allgood

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The monstrous antihomeless amendment 303 in Colorado is going to pass because liberals only care that they don't see the homeless and they're not being executed in front of the city and county building and nothing beyond that

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1455630088180051968?s=20
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1455591829198577668?s=20

Greatest city in the world

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

As someone who lives in Virginia, I am shocked, SHOCKED, to see McAuliffe's strategy fall flat. That brilliant campaign of claiming that Youngkin was Trump 2.0 and that he was going to kill your kids with covid. How could he have not won?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

As someone who lives in Virginia, I am shocked, SHOCKED, to see McAuliffe's strategy fall flat. That brilliant campaign of claiming that Youngkin was Trump 2.0 and that he was going to kill your kids with covid. How could he have not won?

Dem Strategist: "I see what you're saying yeah, more tax cuts for the rich and go more racist with it. Got it. Got it."

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

But seriously, when you offer nothing and your opponent promises to make things better for his voters, no loving poo poo you're going to lose. It's like they learned nothing from Hilary

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zeroisanumber posted:

Voted in Minneapolis. My sense is that the mayor is going to eat poo poo, crossing my fingers for questions 2 and 3.

My gut feel is Q1 and 2 will fail, we might get lucky and pass Q3. Here's hoping Q2 passes too, but I'm not optimistic. I definitely expect Frey to eat poo poo, as he deserves to.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

vyelkin posted:

thanks for making this thread and putting the effort in, OP.

I have never heard of this race before but now I deeply hope Tyler Titus wins.

Looking good so far with mail in ballots, turnout according to poll workers was pretty low so who knows what’ll happen after in person ballots are counted but I think it’s a good sign.

In Erie County's marquee races:

County Executive

Tyler Titus — 11,116
Brenton Davis — 3,491

Sheriff

Chris Campanelli — 12,470
Brian Shank — 2,447

Forgot to mention Brian Shank - this gently caress admitted to sexual misconduct when he worked at the prison. Literally the worst possible candidate they could get for Sheriff.

quote:

In sworn depositions, Shank admitted to some of the allegations lodged against him by female inmates, including hitting inmates on the buttocks with a ruler on one occasion and intentionally discussing bacon in front of a Muslim inmate, which he said was part of a running joke between he and the woman.

"We all have things in our past where we've not made great judgment calls in our life," Shank said Thursday when asked about the allegations. "And, you know, we move on, we learn from them."

But he denied the most serious accusations, including kissing an inmate in an office area and touching another inmate's breasts during a pat-down search, which the Department of Corrections could not substantiate.

He definitely did that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Brenton Davis won. gently caress that guy, and that tells me that Trumpism is still alive and well in Erie County