Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Problem description: I have a 1tb Maxtor remote hard drive that I store my music collection on. I use said hard drive to DJ with, and to DJ I use djay pro on my MacBook. Originally, I used my Windows laptop, and experienced no problems. As I have moved over to my Mac full time, I found that my music folders would not appear in the file finder on my Mac. It is almost like they're not there. They appear fine on my laptop.

Attempted fixes: Initially I have tried moving the folders (each artist is in it's relevant letter) to other folders within the hard drive, to see if Mac notices, and this has not worked. I moved the music collection back onto my Windows laptop, and then subsequently reformatted the hard drive using my laptop. I moved the collection back onto the hard drive, to find that MOST of the folders are there and appear, no problems. Frustratingly, three folders (B, C, and S) appear but when you click into them, the subfolders are nowhere to be seen. I have since deleted the subfolders within these letters, and tried to move only random artists onto the hard drive, to see if a particular folder is causing a problem, but this has made no difference. When you click into any of these three letters, the subfolders do not appear on the Mac.

It is worth noting that other folders, containing random .jpg and .psd files etc, all appeared with their contents elsewhere on the hard drive fine before I removed them ahead of the reformatting.

Recent changes: Nothing that is not transcribed above. Reformatting the hard drive appeared to work, but unfortunately not all of the folders/letters are picked up by my Mac. There have been no OS updates recently for either the Mac or the windows laptop.

Operating system: MacBook is macOS Big Sur 11.2.3, a MacBook Air m1, 2020. Windows laptop is Windows 10.

System specs: I am not certain of the full details regarding the Maxtor hard drive, but would be happy to find them out properly if it is relevant to resolving the query.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. The top google result recommended the hard drive reformatting, which I did as described above.

Thank you in advance for your help, guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
What file system did you format that disk as? NTFS or exFAT? While the Mac can read NTFS, the format is proprietary so their support for it won't be perfect. I'm assuming you went with exFAT, but would be good to be sure.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Gromit posted:

What file system did you format that disk as? NTFS or exFAT? While the Mac can read NTFS, the format is proprietary so their support for it won't be perfect. I'm assuming you went with exFAT, but would be good to be sure.

I've just jumped onto my laptop to check. It would appear that I reformatted the hard drive as NTFS. Would it worth re-trying the process but using exFAT instead?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If you're desperate for solutions, then it's worth it if you have the time and disk space to transfer the files off and back on. I've not heard of this causing the issues you describe, but it's something to tick off the list.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Reformatting the hard drive as exFAT appears to have worked. Thank you Gromit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

That's a relief, because I had nothing else to try. It might be a dying disk, but it seems odd that it would manifest on one machine but not another. No doubt you'll be keeping an eye on it anyway, and don't trust it to anything you don't have a backup of (which you should be doing anyway with a removable disk of any sort).