Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't that GBA F-Zero game have a bunch of, uh, land spaceships that you had to unlock via different ways such as showing up to a physical kiosk for a code? I wanna remember being frustrated by that back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Didn't that GBA F-Zero game have a bunch of, uh, land spaceships that you had to unlock via different ways such as showing up to a physical kiosk for a code? I wanna remember being frustrated by that back in the day.

Was that the one that was loosely based on the anime series?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Started Prince of Persia, it looks so so good for a switch game. Maybe the most polished metroidvania on the system beside Dread

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Started Prince of Persia, it looks so so good for a switch game. Maybe the most polished metroidvania on the system beside Dread

Just think how much better Silksong, a very real video game, will look.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve thought about it and the answer is “bapanada”

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

Was that the one that was loosely based on the anime series?

No, I looked and it was Maximum Velocity. There used to be a way to get a code to unlock the fastest racer but Nintendo has stopped generating codes, according to the GameFAQs thing I checked.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's so loving good. The movement and combat are smooth as hell and the level design is fantastic. If you have any interest in metroidvanias it's a must-play.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm about two hours in and don't particularly care for the combat, enemies seem pretty spongey.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, I looked and it was Maximum Velocity. There used to be a way to get a code to unlock the fastest racer but Nintendo has stopped generating codes, according to the GameFAQs thing I checked.

You can use this website to generate a password

https://web.archive.org/web/20180429155215/http://next.fzerocentral.org/fzmv/faq

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GX already does that; You just have to beat all the GP cups. On Master :shepface:.

This is of course the easier of the two unlock challenges for GX compared to some of the Story mode unlocks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My impossible dream purchase is an F-Zero AX cabinet.

I've never got to experience one, and it's the only arcade game I'd ever want to try besides maaaaaybe the Theatrhythm one (which is redundant now anyway but still).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mega64 posted:

My impossible dream purchase is an F-Zero AX cabinet.

I've never got to experience one, and it's the only arcade game I'd ever want to try besides maaaaaybe the Theatrhythm one (which is redundant now anyway but still).

If you didn't know, there's ways to play AX at home with varying degrees of fidelity. You can run Triforce ROMs like AX through Nintendon't on real Wii U hardware, or use Action Replay codes to reconstruct AX within GX.

https://tcrf.net/F-Zero_GX/AX_Game_Mode

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the info! I've been getting back into emulation recently so I'll have to look into all that at some point.

Still, my dream would be to have the full cabinet for the full experience.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nintendont also works on the Wii, not just the Wii U, it would appear.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm about two hours in and don't particularly care for the combat, enemies seem pretty spongey.

There’s an “enemy sponginess” slider in the difficulty settings, you have the power to make the game more fun for yourself!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Soricidus posted:

There’s an “enemy sponginess” slider in the difficulty settings, you have the power to make the game more fun for yourself!

That sounds like work the designer should have done instead of me having to figure out

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm so glad I managed to find one of the full AX arcade machines at a random arcade in Oregon many moons ago, it was a great experience. I even paid extra credits for the card but got Mr. EAD, which was a bit of a bummer, but I still think I have the card floating around.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Finished A Link Between Worlds. I like how there's some Mario Maker-style twists like using the creepy stalker hand to kill enemies and press switches out of reach. It's also cool how the dungeons don't require more than one or two of your items each to save you fiddling about with the two slots a bunch. And since I'm getting older and more impatient, I'm glad I got through it without a peak at a walkthrough. The puzzle difficulty strikes a very good balance. It's always nice to feel stuck and then remember the merge ability and reveal new possibilities.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

That sounds like work the designer should have done instead of me having to figure out

You could also do the combat tutorials and learn how to take most mooks down in a quick, easy combo.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have no doubt that Nintendo monitors and tracks NSO gameplay time, so y'all who want GX, get playing this (and 99)!

It's true! Nintendo saw that people were playing Super Mario 35 and made a new Mario game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FiestaDePantalones posted:

You could also do the combat tutorials and learn how to take most mooks down in a quick, easy combo.

The characters in this talk a whole hell of a lot and I don't remember any of them me tioninh a co pavt cotutorial

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The characters in this talk a whole hell of a lot and I don't remember any of them me tioninh a co pavt cotutorial

same

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

When you get to an area that feels like a main hub, check the top right section.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

tioninh a co pavt cotutorial

Skill issue

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I also think every game should be made for me, specifically.
No games should even have an options menu. Make it exactly how I want!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Some people have the weirdest rage at casual or easy modes. It's kind of baffling. If you don't want to play casual or easy modes, then don't. Ditto for the harder stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aerofallosov posted:

Some people have the weirdest rage at casual or easy modes. It's kind of baffling. If you don't want to play casual or easy modes, then don't. Ditto for the harder stuff.

The easy mode ragers are that way because they're so pathetic that they've tied all their self-worth to video games accomplishments.
They think telling people that they've beaten Dark Souls should be impressive and an easy mode would undercut that.

Nevermind that so have hundred of thousands of other people and they don't bring it up because... it's a loving video game, who gives a hot gently caress?

I'm impressed by people who do speed running because I don't have the patience for it (outside a couple titles) but if someone cornered me at a party to brag about how they're the #3 Gex speed runner in all of Idaho, I'd kick them in the teeth.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mega64 posted:

Thanks for the info! I've been getting back into emulation recently so I'll have to look into all that at some point.

Still, my dream would be to have the full cabinet for the full experience.

Brookfield IL's Galloping Ghost Arcade has it
I love it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbh when you get to a certain amount of granularity with a dozen sliders it sorta does start to feel like they’re just asking the player to be the designer. Like, do they really expect people to intuitively know how many frames the parry window should be and how long roll invincibility should last for them to enjoy the game?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Augus posted:

tbh when you get to a certain amount of granularity with a dozen sliders it sorta does start to feel like they’re just asking the player to be the designer. Like, do they really expect people to intuitively know how many frames the parry window should be and how long roll invincibility should last for them to enjoy the game?

Certainly not but if you like a game enough to care and want the option to fine-tune things, I say go nuts.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

otter posted:

I still haven't tried it, but my little guy played through it last summer a few times. I thought it looked really cool but he couldn't keep his excitement to himself and spoiled the whole story. "Hey dad, guess what just happened!" and then would tell me everything. At least he was excited about something so I'm not mad at him about it.

Hell yeah. 👍

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Hell yeah. 👍

I mean, if an 8 year old can run through it, the game can't be THAT hard can it?
I think I only had to find YouTube videos for 1 or 2 levels so he could see what he was doing wrong. Then he got really into FNAF Security Breach and played almost nothing but that for 2 months. He would record the jump scare videos and play them over and over again for everyone to see despite their protests. Smart kid, but now he's got a day of time out for biting his brother today. (To be fair, his brother kicked him in the head, but still, no dude.)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
games used to be hard but then the woke

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beginning to understand a lot here

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
idgi :psyduck:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inzombiac posted:

I also think every game should be made for me, specifically.
No games should even have an options menu. Make it exactly how I want!

Well that's what Nintendo does

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Games are definitely much much easier than they were even 10 years ago.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've been watching someone cover every single Famicom game, and it's funny that the real reason games were overall (but not always!) harder there wasn't because companies felt Americans couldn't handle hard games, but because most of the games had unbalanced and lovely difficulty that got somewhat fixed in international releases.

So really, Japanese games were harder because of Lazy Devs.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

As I get older I have much less time, patience, and desire to play something really challenging. If I find myself repeating sections or bosses multiple times or losing any meaningful progress I get frustrated. I usually set whatever I’m playing to an easier difficulty and just enjoy the content of the game.

I’ve beaten my share of fromsoft games and the like, and know I’m not up for that kind of experience anymore. Overcoming challenge is less appealing to me than making consistent and uninterrupted progress and being able to play the game in full without having to worry about a difficulty roadblock.

So, skill issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm still committed to entering the thresher of a Souls boss again and again but if I can't figure out how to progress in a game, including From games, to the point where I'm not enjoying myself I am much more likely now to check a walkthrough to get things flowing again. I was always disappointed in myself doing that when younger. Horrible memories of OoT Water Temple pushing me to buy an unofficial strategy guide.