Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

I've been watching someone cover every single Famicom game, and it's funny that the real reason games were overall (but not always!) harder there wasn't because companies felt Americans couldn't handle hard games, but because most of the games had unbalanced and lovely difficulty that got somewhat fixed in international releases.

So really, Japanese games were harder because of Lazy Devs.

And this flipped as soon as game rentals in America became mainstream while staying illegal in Japan. They started making us version releases bullshit on purpose so it couldn't be beat in a weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
ive beaten every soulsborne except sekiro but if a video game makes me think even for a moment at a puzzle, im googling a walkthrough

aint nobody got time for that, resident evil, let me shoot the zombie dogs

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Thanks for the info! I've been getting back into emulation recently so I'll have to look into all that at some point.

Still, my dream would be to have the full cabinet for the full experience.

These racing cabinets were always cool but the arcade cabinets for Virtual On and T-Mek continue to be my all-time favorites.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Augus posted:

tbh when you get to a certain amount of granularity with a dozen sliders it sorta does start to feel like they’re just asking the player to be the designer. Like, do they really expect people to intuitively know how many frames the parry window should be and how long roll invincibility should last for them to enjoy the game?
The point of a slider is if you're playing along and you're constantly annoyed that you're missing the parry window because the input lag on your setup sucks, then you just keep adjusting up the size of the parry window until it feels good. The exact number of frames doesn't matter.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Soul Glo posted:

ive beaten every soulsborne except sekiro but if a video game makes me think even for a moment at a puzzle, im googling a walkthrough

aint nobody got time for that, resident evil, let me shoot the zombie dogs

Every now and then there's some puzzles I like but usually they're very tedious and can only be solved the one way the designers want, and it's just gameplay that belongs in the dustbin of history. Even a great puzzle game like Outer Wilds frustrated me in a few spots and I went to get a FAQ, because it's often hard to tell if you're doing the right thing wrong and just need another try, or just doing the wrong thing.

I got my kid Link's awakening from the library for this spring break and I'm hoping to find a guide to print out for him , because he absolutely hit a wall and gave up on it last time we tried it out. When there's so many other things to play the idea of beating your head against a wall isn't even something he can comprehend.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
puzzles are good, seems like skill issues all around

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

trevorreznik posted:

Every now and then there's some puzzles I like but usually they're very tedious and can only be solved the one way the designers want, and it's just gameplay that belongs in the dustbin of history. Even a great puzzle game like Outer Wilds frustrated me in a few spots and I went to get a FAQ, because it's often hard to tell if you're doing the right thing wrong and just need another try, or just doing the wrong thing.

I got my kid Link's awakening from the library for this spring break and I'm hoping to find a guide to print out for him , because he absolutely hit a wall and gave up on it last time we tried it out. When there's so many other things to play the idea of beating your head against a wall isn't even something he can comprehend.

Just give them a pdf of the Fiftieth issue of Nintendo Power, then let them figure out the last two-thirds of the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hatty posted:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, I looked and it was Maximum Velocity. There used to be a way to get a code to unlock the fastest racer but Nintendo has stopped generating codes, according to the GameFAQs thing I checked.

You could still unlock Jet Vermillion without any codes, you just had to
-Clear every cup
-on Master
-with every other machine

See, nothing crazy or unreasonable at all.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In 5 years there will only be metroidvanias and roguelikes

Not a problem imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

:pray:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Evil Fluffy posted:

These racing cabinets were always cool but the arcade cabinets for Virtual On and T-Mek continue to be my all-time favorites.

It is my life goal to own a G-Loc R360 cabinet. Coins and lighters flying everywhere out of pockets on the first spin.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Not a problem imo

Indie devs should pivot from these genres to doing games in whatever genre you would consider Burnout Revenge

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Burnout 3 port when, Losertendo?!?!?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

DLC Inc posted:

Indie devs should pivot from these genres to doing games in whatever genre you would consider Burnout Revenge

There's a phone game called Airplane Crash Madness which is low-budget Burnout crash mode but with aircraft like the 'Boning B52'. The app description was copied from another game when I downloaded it and it has insane adverts for other free to play titles. I cannot recommend this enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally, a realistic mobile game.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

hatty posted:

Even birds like and can do puzzles lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can train a bird to beat Dark Souls.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Not a problem imo

inshallah

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mega64 posted:

Well, yeah....

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mega64 posted:

-British alpha YouTuber

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Blasphemous is, hard

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skill issue ?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yes almost certainly

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i could never get into the souls games but i loved blasphemous. i beat the regular game and all 3 of the different challenge modes. beating crisanta when only having the MP potions felt like quite the accomplishment. i bought the 2nd game but haven't played it much. i was impressed when i ran from one of the red hood guys and he climbed down from his platform after me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The second one is great. Much easier than 1.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Wonder if were ever gona hear about that DQ3D pixel remaster ever again

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Anyone play Silent Hope?
Woot has it for $25 for the physical version. Wondering if anyone tried it yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Is the Prince of Persia deluxe edition worth the extra $6 or is it just cosmetic stuff I don't need to care about

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levitate posted:

Is the Prince of Persia deluxe edition worth the extra $6 or is it just cosmetic stuff I don't need to care about

The latter.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Levitate posted:

It comes with an amulet that signals when you're near a secret. Or you can look up the location of hidden walls and whatnot on mapgenie.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

butt dickus posted:

i could never get into the souls games but i loved blasphemous. i beat the regular game and all 3 of the different challenge modes. beating crisanta when only having the MP potions felt like quite the accomplishment. i bought the 2nd game but haven't played it much. i was impressed when i ran from one of the red hood guys and he climbed down from his platform after me

I think I would like Blasphemous gameplay wise, but I get the same gross out kind of vibe from it that I get from The Binding of Isaac.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Several pages old but they should put together a TAS to beat the level :v:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Just a note of switch related suffering.
A couple of weeks ago there was an incident where one of my kids was getting out of the car and knocked his brother’s switch out of his hands. It ate pavement and cracked the joy con. I let him pick a set of replacement shells and he picked the skyward sword ones. ($5 on Temu). They arrived yesterday and I put them on tonight.

That took me like 2 hours. So many tiny screws. I feel like I’m getting too old to mess with projects that small. I could have modded several GameCubes in that time. The result was still good but I wish replacement shells also would come with replacement screws for the shell body. If anyone wants a grey right joy con shell body hit me up and you can have it.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

otter posted:

Just a note of switch related suffering.
A couple of weeks ago there was an incident where one of my kids was getting out of the car and knocked his brother’s switch out of his hands. It ate pavement and cracked the joy con. I let him pick a set of replacement shells and he picked the skyward sword ones. ($5 on Temu). They arrived yesterday and I put them on tonight.

That took me like 2 hours. So many tiny screws. I feel like I’m getting too old to mess with projects that small. I could have modded several GameCubes in that time. The result was still good but I wish replacement shells also would come with replacement screws for the shell body. If anyone wants a grey right joy con shell body hit me up and you can have it.

This was extremely cool of you, dads fixing things for their kids is top tier

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

BigDumper posted:

Yeahp.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

BigDumper posted:

My friend I have seriously considered buying a super glue subscription since my daughter was born

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Thanks to whoever mentioned Tails of Iron 2 - it lead to me grabbing the first one. Good game. At first I regretted playing on normal difficulty but a few more deaths and I got used to the combat enough. Finished main story and now working through the post game content. Enjoyable - downside is it does like to crash every now and then. Most annoyingly was when I had just beat the final boss and it was travelling to the main area and then froze up. Got to beat the final boss again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Tails of iron was a teeny bit laggy and unenjoyable last time I played it on the switch, did they optimize it a little in the latest patches?

Also, my wife saw an ad for Switch Sports and asked for it. Considering it's the most gamey thing that ever caught her interest I think I'm gonna get it. Is it good? Never played the wii ones and the only sport minigames I've ever got were ps1/2 olympics joypad destroyers. Wait, maybe even some ancient ones on a C64.