Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Anybody have any recommendations for dungeon crawlers?

Looking for something more focused on combat and exploration over story, though having something there is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Trenchdeep posted:

Looking for something more focused on combat and exploration over story, though having something there is a plus.

Tried Diablo II?

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

otter posted:

Tried Diablo II?

They ported that onto the switch? Cool, but unfortunately ran that into the ground a decade ago and it just wouldn't be the same without the incessant clicking. I wonder if Grim Dawn made it over?

I'm thinking more of turn based stuff since I'm not super into ARPGs, that being said I might look look around anyway.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Trenchdeep posted:

Turn based dungeon crawlers you say?

How about the recently released sleeper hit Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

Over the decades I made it 80% of the way through LoZ: Link's Awakening on several occasions, whether it be actual hardware, GBA, or emulators.
And now finally I'm playing the Switch remake and I might actually complete this game. The tweaks to the art direction are very charming. It's hard to be ponderously grimdark (Twilight Princess) when everyone looks like they're made of matte plastic.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - the 2D sections in the dungeons have the bones of a good follow up to Zelda 2. Like if they made an entire dungeon out of those 2D sections and had you that would be perfect.
I haven't played any of the Oracle games and there's probably some Shantae game that gives me everything I asked for but, I like the Link to the Past world.

I beat this on the gameboy back in the day and I bought this remake too but no thanks. Too much slowdown. Looks nice but the original DX version just feels like its gameplay syncs up with the graphics better.

I blew even more money recently on totk. Would’ve just played more botw after finishing the main quest but my Hero’s Journey route map is right at 200 hours and I want to keep it as a full record of my experience, including the multiple deaths over and over in the first few hours.

But as for totk, I got out of the tutorial area and progressed the main quest from lookout landing and did the first quest from there in the depths. Now its looking like I should go northwest to the rito/ hebra area, but I’ve still got one empty space on my rune wheel (have Hand, Fuse, Rewind, Ascend, camera and amiibo but there’s still one more)

I got turned around chasing a star fragment immediately after diving off the first sky area. No guide. Did I miss something? Would I be poorly served by loving off to the southeast instead of going straight to rito village? I want to see what’s up hateno and lurelin.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Tempura Wizard posted:

Turn based dungeon crawlers you say?

How about the recently released sleeper hit Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island?

That looks pretty good, I'll check it out.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I beat this on the gameboy back in the day and I bought this remake too but no thanks. Too much slowdown. Looks nice but the original DX version just feels like its gameplay syncs up with the graphics better.

I blew even more money recently on totk. Would’ve just played more botw after finishing the main quest but my Hero’s Journey route map is right at 200 hours and I want to keep it as a full record of my experience, including the multiple deaths over and over in the first few hours.

But as for totk, I got out of the tutorial area and progressed the main quest from lookout landing and did the first quest from there in the depths. Now its looking like I should go northwest to the rito/ hebra area, but I’ve still got one empty space on my rune wheel (have Hand, Fuse, Rewind, Ascend, camera and amiibo but there’s still one more)

I got turned around chasing a star fragment immediately after diving off the first sky area. No guide. Did I miss something? Would I be poorly served by loving off to the southeast instead of going straight to rito village? I want to see what’s up hateno and lurelin.

The final rune is located in the Depths roughly under the Temple of Time on the Great Plateau. It’s entirely optional but will make exploring easier, especially in the Depths

Also you should definitely at least head towards Hebra until you find Hestu for obvious reasons, and there’s another main quest to unlock along that path although it’s very close to Lookout Landing

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Trenchdeep posted:

They ported that onto the switch? Cool, but unfortunately ran that into the ground a decade ago and it just wouldn't be the same without the incessant clicking. I wonder if Grim Dawn made it over?

I'm thinking more of turn based stuff since I'm not super into ARPGs, that being said I might look look around anyway.

not wanting an ARPG, let alone Blizzard slop, thats all fair, no argument... but bad news, it turns out that they're wayyy better with a controller. wtf, right?

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

wizard2 posted:

not wanting an ARPG, let alone Blizzard slop, thats all fair, no argument... but bad news, it turns out that they're wayyy better with a controller. wtf, right?

Diablo 2 was good, but also I refuse to believe you.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Trenchdeep posted:

Diablo 2 was good, but also I refuse to believe you.

i wouldnt believe it myself.. its super hosed up

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Having played approximately a billion hours of OG D2+LOD when it first came out back in my college days:

The core gameplay of D2 (character movement, ability use, etc.) is better with a controller. Inventory management is better with KB+M.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Having played approximately a billion hours of OG D2+LOD when it first came out back in my college days:

The core gameplay of D2 (character movement, ability use, etc.) is better with a controller. Inventory management is better with KB+M.

ya. its totally hosed. again, not trying to sell anybody on D2 on Switch, it just boggles my mind.

D3 on Nintendo Switch is the definitive Diablo 3 experience. wtfff

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Trenchdeep posted:

Have you played any of the Etrian Odyssey games? They recently got HD ports or whatever on the Switch.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The final rune is located in the Depths roughly under the Temple of Time on the Great Plateau. It’s entirely optional but will make exploring easier, especially in the Depths

Also you should definitely at least head towards Hebra until you find Hestu for obvious reasons, and there’s another main quest to unlock along that path although it’s very close to Lookout Landing

Awesome, thanks.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Have you played any of the Etrian Odyssey games? They recently got HD ports or whatever on the Switch.

Honestly I did, but a quick skim had them solely on 3ds.

Controller based Diablo is doing my head in, but I suppose I should try it before declaring it anathema.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat TotK, it was very good.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Trenchdeep posted:

Honestly I did, but a quick skim had them solely on 3ds.

Controller based Diablo is doing my head in, but I suppose I should try it before declaring it anathema.

The HD collection is on switch, which is 1, 2, and 3. 4, 5, and Nexus are on the 3DS as are the two untolds (EO 1: Millennium girl, EO 2: Untold.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 13, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I beat TotK, it was very good.

:hellyeah:

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Aerofallosov posted:

The HD collection is on switch, which is 1, 2, and 3. 4, 5, and Nexus are on the 3DS as are the two untolds (EO 1: Millennium girl, EO 2: Untold.

Ah, that'd be it - I was looking at one of the later ones. Cheers!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Princess Peach birthday party is happening:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You shouldn’t drive on cake

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hatty posted:

You shouldn’t drive on cake

*Princessly* rules are meant to be broken

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Aw, that looks great!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

Aw, that looks great!

My mother in law is a now retired second grade teacher and went ham on crafts

She doesn't know Mario at all and referred to this goomba as "the poop guy"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
D3 played real well on switch and since I didn’t care about online play or min maxing stuff I could easily just smash through the whole game

Going from that to D2 was rough though and I dropped it quick at the time. Inventory is a pain I think but I might give it another go. Controlling combat might have been different enough from d3 that it wasn’t taking in my brain coming to it so soon after

D4 switch when

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
that chain chomp owns.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That's all wonderful. Great job

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks bad rear end op.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That's awesome and so is your dog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Looks bad rear end op.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The party is over now and im so so tired. Goodnight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

delicious and jealous

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

External Organs posted:

The party is over now and im so so tired. Goodnight.

Kid parties wear me the f out. I try to stay in the kitchen and handle all the logistics/ service. My youngest (9) had his party a couple of weeks ago. His was no where near as cool as yours (Five Nights at Freddy’s theme). When he turned 7 or 8 the Mrs made him an Among Us themed party complete with custom piñata.

For as much as she hates games she sure does the arts and crafts part for the kids so there’s that.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Wife and I finished up Botany Manor last night. It was.... OK. Very chill time, it all sounds and looks very nice but it could use a bit more of a challenge. It really beats you over the head with the clues and there's basically no irrelevant information so it's pretty much a straightforward exercise. You find a clue and think "OK I think I see what we need to do" and then you find like 3 or 4 more clues that tell you the same thing again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Peach birthday party is the loving coolest thing I've seen all day and I hope your daughter was delighted. Parents of the year over here :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Toxyo Xanadu eX+ is apparently being released on Switch later this year. Pretty fun if you just want to run around a fake version of Tokyo to jazz music and then head into mazelike dungeons and fight enemies to more rock/metal type tracks with somewhat Ys like gameplay.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Bofast posted:

Toxyo Xanadu eX+ is apparently being released on Switch later this year. Pretty fun if you just want to run around a fake version of Tokyo to jazz music and then head into mazelike dungeons and fight enemies to more rock/metal type tracks with somewhat Ys like gameplay.

yeah that sounds rad

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mario kart 8 deluxe is so good
Slept on this once for apparently like a decade but it’s such a well made game. The whole presentation is just making me feel good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SilkyP posted:

Mario kart 8 deluxe is so good
Slept on this once for apparently like a decade but it’s such a well made game. The whole presentation is just making me feel good

Mario Kart Tour dlc tracks aside, I think it's a contender for the best looking game Nintendo's ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mister Facetious posted:

Mario Kart Tour dlc tracks aside, I think it's a contender for the best looking game Nintendo's ever made.

I was happy to find out the online multiplayer still seems alive, I’m definitely enjoying the crazy frantic races and relatively small time investment in terms of getting into a group and getting into a handful of races easily