Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good Citizen posted:

Maybe I'm overstating it because it's been a while but I remember feeling like I knew exactly where hidden walls and such were in the sequel. Also maybe it diverges more later on and I just didn't get far enough.

I enjoyed refrain though and anyone looking for a first person dungeon crawler should consider getting one of the two games at least.

Yeah I can see that for the first chunk of the game. It introduces all the same dungeon traversal mechanics as Refrain at the same speed at the beginning which doesn’t help. Although you do get more tools than you had in Refrain at a decent clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah I can see that for the first chunk of the game. It introduces all the same dungeon traversal mechanics as Refrain at the same speed at the beginning which doesn’t help. Although you do get more tools than you had in Refrain at a decent clip.

Cool maybe I’ll give it another chance sometime soon. Not today though. Today I just learned from another poster that I missed a new Shiren game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

hatty posted:

Don't forget deck builders. and maybe Wario clones will finally take off and add a fifth genre
The deckbuilders and roguelikes have mostly merged at this point. They're the same thing. :v:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Commander Keene posted:

The deckbuilders and roguelikes have mostly merged at this point. They're the same thing. :v:

my crippling Slay the Spire addiction agrees with this.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

SkeletonHero posted:

Potato Flowers in Full Bloom is an excellent chill dungeon crawler. Make a crew of four little guys, inch your way through a giant dungeon to maybe find some potato seeds at the bottom. Light management is a huge part of exploration, combat is tactical but not super complex, all the little dudes are cute and if you open your menu you get a diorama of your party just hanging out. Solid recommend.

Oh wow, that looks adorable.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Potato Flowers in Full Bloom is really good, yeah. The combat is fun and fairly tactical, the dungeon exploration is varied and makes good use of having hand placed encounters rather than random battles, and the story is unobtrusive but I found it pretty compelling. The visuals are really nice too, they’re obviously low budget but the diorama style combined with some really effective use of light and dark can make for some very pretty environments.

I did a longer writeup here if anyone is interested:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Augus posted:

I hope they announce some live service open world co op games with randomized loot and crafting mechanics tomorrow

It's called silksong

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not sure why all open world games don't look like this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Untitled Stray Game looks like it could be pretty fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I need to have this kitty game.

Edit: I need to put my kitty in cute hats

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw yeah, here is the slow-paced game about depression I watch indie showcases for.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
finally a game that is a personality test with 23 different personalities

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finally a dog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We have Pizza Tower at home!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
is this the year of warioland spiritual successors or what

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

frog-based strand game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

lih posted:

is this the year of warioland spiritual successors or what

Pizza Tower released last year.

Incidentally from what I've played of the demo I'd say Antonblast is closer to Wario Land 4 than Pizza Tower was.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
We have Journey at home.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TMNT is an indie property now? Weird

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is this TMNT Hades or TMNT Diablo?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Is this TMNT Hades or TMNT Diablo?

TMNT hades

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not going to lie, 4 player TMNT Hades beat 'em up could be pretty fuckin' rad if done well.

Edit: It amazes me how Cat Game must be doing extremely well for them considering each game is higher and higher budget.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: It amazes me how Cat Game must be doing extremely well for them considering each game is higher and higher budget.

Yeah I remember playing it on mobile when it was a couple bucks for the first game. Liked it well enough, didn't realize it had done so well.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The enemies in that cat game looked extremely spongy

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

yeah I played Cat Quest 1 on Steam years ago and while it was cute, it felt a little...light? Like I feel like I remember having a feeling of waiting for a shoe to drop for the game to deepen or something, and then it kinda didn't? Steam says I only had 4 hours and I remember finishing it. It was quite cute though.

Looking forward to AntonBlast - though there was definitely some stuff in the steam demo that I felt like could be improved upon - its a much less forgiving game then Pizza Tower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OH poo poo STEAMWORLD HEIST 2.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ah, not the Steamworld game I would've wanted, but nice!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They haven't done a straight sequel in ages

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Heist is their best game so I'm pretty happy about that.

And to nobody's surprise it's another banpanda.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

...steamworld dig 2 was a lot less recent then I realized. On the otherhand, what was between then and now? The card game and city builder?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dig 2 is their best game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

And so the clown wig goes back on the shelf, ready for yet another outing in the near future.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

...steamworld dig 2 was a lot less recent then I realized. On the otherhand, what was between then and now? The card game and city builder?

The card game, city builder and their weird adventure game The Gunk.

The city builder was really them overreaching though and I suspect it underperformed for them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Too bad the city builder game kinda sucks, too shallow really. I liked the idea.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steamworld Heist 2 genuinely looks loving great.

TMNT Hades was out of left field but the art style looks fantastic, hoping it’s actually good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the nintendo switch...a dying console

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 17, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I think they also made a game called The Gunk? Or maybe that was just the same publisher.

They announced something called Steamworld Headhunter in 2021 but no gameplay footage exists

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Been waiting a long time for heist 2 to be confirmed, absolutely stoked for this. Day 1 purchase.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Too bad the city builder game kinda sucks, too shallow really. I liked the idea.

I think it's okay, and I wanted to like it a lot more, but yeah, it's honestly probably too shallow, very much "knock out in a weekend" kind of game.

Huh, apparently they put out a DLC for it, like 2 weeks ago, and it has 6 reviews on steam. Jeeze lol.

e: Sounds like it freshens up the mines portion of the game, but doesn't do much for the city portion. Probably not really worth a revisit from what it sounds like.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Woooooo! Love to see another Heist. I thought for sure it was a one and done deal