Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Willo567 posted:

Is N64 emulation extremely bad, because most people on here say it's fine and serviceable

"extremely bad" here means "the second least accurate and laggy emulation behind only WiiU" and not "unplayable for a casual person"

e: I would like to make it clear I mean input lag and not normal lag, which is probably genuinely better than any official emulation or the original.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Currently finishing my 100% run on Aria of Sorrow at the Castlevania Advance Collection.

Please do not try to 100% this game.

you getting all item drops too or merely all souls?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Muscle Tracer posted:

...is there really a huge scalper after-market for NFTs? the things you can right-click, save-as and possess them even if you don't "own" them?
Nintendo is bad at supply and or demand, around this time last year I had to have bots set up to buy a Switch for my friend because other bots were buying the stock out the second it was available.

Then Amiibos and Animal Crossing Switches too, yeah. They'll ship 100 to a city where thousands want a product.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tampa Bae posted:

Nintendo is bad at supply and or demand, around this time last year I had to have bots set up to buy a Switch for my friend because other bots were buying the stock out the second it was available.

Then Amiibos and Animal Crossing Switches too, yeah. They'll ship 100 to a city where thousands want a product.

right but what about their NFTs

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Looper posted:

you getting all item drops too or merely all souls?

Item drops, souls already got them on the first go then I decided to start Hard Mode without realizing it only improved Soul drops, not items.

Only have Demon Mail and Shadow Knight's potion left and god I really hope whoever made the drop formula on the Sorrow duology got fired.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tampa Bae posted:

Isn't that more of a retail distribution issue? Target/GameStop/etc buys the units and decides where to allocate them

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Muscle Tracer posted:

right but what about their NFTs
Amiibos and N64 controllers and limited releases of the Mario collection are the NFTs.

It was a dumb comparison, Nintendo is bad at supplying things so everything they release becomes a secondary market scam. It wasn't a literal comparison

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Is N64 emulation extremely bad, because most people on here say it's fine and serviceable

They are all intentionally ignoring the overwhelming examples and evidence that say otherwise lol. It's goons being goons. The emulator is in a really unacceptable state in its current form.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you wouldn't right click -> save a nintendo switch

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Item drops, souls already got them on the first go then I decided to start Hard Mode without realizing it only improved Soul drops, not items.

Only have Demon Mail and Shadow Knight's potion left and god I really hope whoever made the drop formula on the Sorrow duology got fired.

good luck, and godspeed. you're almost there!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Looper posted:

good luck, and godspeed. you're almost there!

Thanks, but if I ever replay Dawn of Sorrow I'm doing it with the hack that has miscelaneus fixes and most importantly fixes Luck to do some poo poo, I ain't torturing myself again with this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

They are all intentionally ignoring the overwhelming examples and evidence that say otherwise lol. It's goons being goons. The emulator is in a really unacceptable state in its current form.

I reckon that one-size-fits-all emulator with runtime patching will probably bite them in the rear end down the line with some titles, given how strangely-coded some N64 games were.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 22, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

has OOT ever run at a steady 30 in an official capacity?

It targeted 20. 20 isn't lag.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The only speed runner I watch is Linkus7 and he said the OLED was saving milliseconds at best so I'm guessing the issues for emulation are just for speed runners and turbo nerds.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

oh yeah I remember those fake made-up screenshots, that poo poo was really great "evidence"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

I'd like to get an RPG on the Switch but I've not really played any before. I have Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and it was a lot of fun until I put it down for a month and the game becomes nearly impossible to pick back up because it's hard to figure out which part of the story you've made it to without going back and retracting every single step in an FAQ until you find the one NPC in a random hub to progress the story again

I've got passing interest in FFX and Xenoblade Chronicles but any suggestions are fine. I tried googling but every website is just a bunch of listicles in no particular order

I don't know if you're still looking but...

DQXI isn't a bad choice. I've only played DQ 8 but it's a cozy as poo poo series that doesn't break the bank in innovating anything wild and crazy. It's definitely a good starter for the genre.

I personally had a blast experiencing Final Fantasies 7 through 9 a couple of years back (was it last year? I can't remember). I've currently started 10. These are all great, except 8 which is super weird but worth checking out probably. Their mechanics are simple but more involved than what DQ offers in my opinion, unless 11 really changed up from 8. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from the genre and games like VII and X are rather fundamental. The playstation games have handy cheat modes too to get past their bullshit, so grinding is easier and you can speed through random battles.

Aside from that Octopath Traveller is a great throwback game. It lacks some quality of life factors especially in regards to random battles, but battling in the game is very fun and interesting. It's a job system which is a specific type of jrpg better represented by the Bravely Default series, FFV and FFX2. This allows for a bit more customization and very cool combos. I almost regret having traded it back in, but Octopath is definitely good for a playthrough.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a strategy JRPG, so the plot tropes are there and all, as is the leveling up, but the gameplay is rather different. I haven't played the latest one, and I have rather disliked the series since Awakening, but I did love it for a long time and people vouch for the last one. If you like strategy games could be a good way to get your feet wet.

Achmed Jones posted:

i might buy splatoon 3. but ive never played splatoon, dont much care for competitive multiplayer, and am just kinda "whatever" about shooters

ok maybe i shouldnt buy splatoon 3.

but if it has a single player mode i probably will

The Single player is fun and "short". I ended up getting all the hero version of the weapons which requires you to beat every stage with every weapon. I would do this while talking with my folks on the phone (about an hour or so a week). The multiplayer is as competitive as you want it to be. The great thing about splatoon is that it's not about killing your opponents, though it helps, but rather painting. So if you just want to paint, and run at first sight, that's honestly not outright hurting your team.

hatty posted:

I’ve been “playing” Pikmin bloom lately since I’m a simp for the series and it’s not terrible. I like planting flowers with my Pikmin posse while on a walk

Does it measure distance you walk or distance you've moved? I bike to work and if that could count I'd be interested in it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's easier to be frame perfect when you only have 20 frames a second.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know if you're still looking but...

DQXI isn't a bad choice. I've only played DQ 8 but it's a cozy as poo poo series that doesn't break the bank in innovating anything wild and crazy. It's definitely a good starter for the genre.

I personally had a blast experiencing Final Fantasies 7 through 9 a couple of years back (was it last year? I can't remember). I've currently started 10. These are all great, except 8 which is super weird but worth checking out probably. Their mechanics are simple but more involved than what DQ offers in my opinion, unless 11 really changed up from 8. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from the genre and games like VII and X are rather fundamental. The playstation games have handy cheat modes too to get past their bullshit, so grinding is easier and you can speed through random battles.

Aside from that Octopath Traveller is a great throwback game. It lacks some quality of life factors especially in regards to random battles, but battling in the game is very fun and interesting. It's a job system which is a specific type of jrpg better represented by the Bravely Default series, FFV and FFX2. This allows for a bit more customization and very cool combos. I almost regret having traded it back in, but Octopath is definitely good for a playthrough.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a strategy JRPG, so the plot tropes are there and all, as is the leveling up, but the gameplay is rather different. I haven't played the latest one, and I have rather disliked the series since Awakening, but I did love it for a long time and people vouch for the last one. If you like strategy games could be a good way to get your feet wet.

The Single player is fun and "short". I ended up getting all the hero version of the weapons which requires you to beat every stage with every weapon. I would do this while talking with my folks on the phone (about an hour or so a week). The multiplayer is as competitive as you want it to be. The great thing about splatoon is that it's not about killing your opponents, though it helps, but rather painting. So if you just want to paint, and run at first sight, that's honestly not outright hurting your team.
My only real exposure to RPGs is my sister, she was a huge fan of Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and Persona games. I got kinda into FF13 because I liked the side-characters but she kept telling me how Lighting was the worst protagonist ever and I think that was my first RPG outside of Pokemon but she knows the entire history of every JRPG ever, she was trying to get me to play a PS1 game called Legend of Dragon that came out when she was like three years old.

I just want something I can have some fun on a handheld and burn like 80 hours on over a couple months.

e: for context we're both Japanese but moved to America in 2003 but she embraced the culture more than I did, I was a teenager and she was six

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 3, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 22, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Seems like you're confusing "perfect" with "perfectly serviceable". For the average user that wants to play N64 games on their Nintendo Switch... it does exactly that. They don't care about the extra frame or whatever the hell people are raging about on Youtube. There are plenty of things that could and should be better. That doesn't mean someone enjoying it is ignoring "overwhelming examples and evidence"... it just means they don't care and are having fun with it despite what some speedrunner's analysis says.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

My only real exposure to RPGs is my sister, she was a huge fan of Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and Persona games. I got kinda into FF13 because I liked the side-characters but she kept telling me how Lighting was the worst protagonist ever and I think that was my first RPG outside of Pokemon but she knows the entire history of every JRPG ever, she was trying to get me to play a PS1 game called Legend of Dragon that came out when she was like three years old.

I just want something I can have some fun on a handheld and burn like 80 hours on over a couple months.

e: for context we're both Japanese but moved to America in 2003 but she embraced the culture more than I did, I was a teenager and she was six

I haven't done SMT but they seem hard.

I really feel like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy would be up your alley. Just some good throwback JRPG. If you can get over the graphics FF7 is rather engrossing as is FF9 (I'm partial to FF6 but it's not available here).

They games are minimum 40 hours and if you really want to go all out you can get up to 80 hours. DQ is definitely a long game.

You can also try Tales of Vesperia, the combat in those is more action based but those are also long and involved.

So yeah I'd say DQXI for just classic JRPG or FF7 for a bit of JRPG history that still holds up today. The advantage to the latter, despite being old, is that it's still rather engrossing/timeless (like the best of games) and it has handy cheat modifiers to smooth out the rough edges at the click of a button like x3 speed, infinite health, or max special moves gauge. The latter are rather much, but the x3 is a godsend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

You could always wait a week and get Shin Megami Tensei V when it comes out on the 11th. I don't know your preferences but if you're ok dealing with Turn-based games and want a challenge that will last a while then that is definitely the right path.

For some reason Google says it comes out on the 11th but it in fact releases on Friday the 12th.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Lastdancer posted:

You could always wait a week and get Shin Megami Tensei V when it comes out on the 11th. I don't know your preferences but if you're ok dealing with Turn-based games and want a challenge that will last a while then that is definitely the right path.
The last time I bought into a JRPG at launch was FF13, I'd rather play something on the switch that's already well-received. Pokemon is also coming out soon and Platinum was my favorite entry in the series so I'll go with the Dragon Quest demo and the Diamond/Pearl remakes as a backup. It's not that I can't afford all these games, I just don't have the time to play more than one 100+ hour game a year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Postman posted:

Seems like you're confusing "perfect" with "perfectly serviceable". For the average user that wants to play N64 games on their Nintendo Switch... it does exactly that. They don't care about the extra frame or whatever the hell people are raging about on Youtube. There are plenty of things that could and should be better. That doesn't mean someone enjoying it is ignoring "overwhelming examples and evidence"... it just means they don't care and are having fun with it despite what some speedrunner's analysis says.

I never said anything about it needing to be perfect. But it's far from perfectly serviceable. People aren't arguing that it's serviceable, they are saying that there are literally no problems, and that just simply isn't true.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The best JRPG on the Switch is Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Achmed Jones posted:

oh poo poo is this a new game or an update to the one i already have?

I read they are doing it as a $20 DLC to Afterbirth+ on the eShop but you can order a physical version from Nicalis for $60.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

I should probably add that while I think it's a tiny bit disingenuous to say we're just ignoring examples and evidence, like absolutely demand more from your products. Of course. Personally my standards fall more in the line of practicality and consistency rather than striving for 100% perfection and I assume this may well be the case for the others. I want to turn on the game and play it in this instance. I don't want to fiddle with settings. In terms of Online play this is probably even more of a deal, where you don't want to follow up "hey want to play some mario kart" with "ok do you have the right rom? no the other revision. Wait which version of the emulator are you using" and then half an hour of that just to get to the actual playing. We know it's not great but it works and it's serviceable for now. Patches and continued support would be nice!

NSO N64 Online though isn't any better. The online just straight up doesn't work at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Repentance also has a crapton of new content and fixes pretty much all of the big issues isaac wih the other expensions. It's a stellar expansion..

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The Postman posted:

it just means they don't care and are having fun with it despite what some speedrunner's analysis says.

hey this isnt Some Speedrunner, this is Zelda Freak Glitcha. Show some respect

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I said come in! posted:

NSO N64 Online though isn't any better. The online just straight up doesn't work at all.

This is the most disappointing part.

I also read for online, you can online take 1 person online per system. Stinks you can't do 4 player Mario Kart with 4 players on 2 Switches. Really hope they fix a lot of the issues with future patches. Waiting to subscribe until I see how they approach updating the n64 app.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Online works if everybody involved has a good connection. If your online isn't working either you have a lovely collection or your friend does

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Regarding N64 NSO: yes it's serviceable in that you can play games online and they basically work, more or less. But there's a genuine problem with Nintendo where there's a lack of functional consistency across its (specifically, retro-focused) products, especially across hardware generations. While Nintendo is getting more criticism this time in the past, there's also plenty of people defending them and ignoring the issues because it's Nintendo in a way they wouldn't with other products and manufacturers. Consider that the consensus around the SEGA Genesis Classics collection is that it's unplayable garbage, when it largely suffers from the exact same problems as N64 NSO (input lag, emulation accuracy, etc.).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Consider that Sega games are mostly garbage whereas Nintendo games are mostly not garbage

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I said come in! posted:

this is wrong and fail. the online works fine if u have a good connection

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

The last time I bought into a JRPG at launch was FF13, I'd rather play something on the switch that's already well-received. Pokemon is also coming out soon and Platinum was my favorite entry in the series so I'll go with the Dragon Quest demo and the Diamond/Pearl remakes as a backup. It's not that I can't afford all these games, I just don't have the time to play more than one 100+ hour game a year

That seems like a sound plan. I keep forgetting DQ11 has a massive demo. And if you enjoy Pokémon, more power to you. I didn't enjoy Sword/Shield that much and frankly I think I'll only get remakes of Blue/Red from here on out because I've come to terms that I only like that franchise for its nostalgia factor these days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The actual best Emulation used to be on the GC because the emulator was tailored for the game.

https://youtu.be/ounQZv1MFNA

TLDR it’s steadily gotten worse but used to be really great on the GC then a little worse on the Wii

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I remember playing Halo 2 on the original XBox with a more stable connection than nintendo switch online. Now you don't even need to drophack to get an advantage on Switch online and rage quitting is as easy as just taking it out of the dock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I never said anything about it needing to be perfect. But it's far from perfectly serviceable. People aren't arguing that it's serviceable, they are saying that there are literally no problems, and that just simply isn't true.

The post you were replying to literally says people are arguing that it's fine and serviceable. You asserted those people are just ignoring overwhelming evidence. Now you've decided they're actually just arguing that it's flawless?

It's not perfectly serviceable to you and many other people. It's perfectly serviceable to a lot of other people. Even after they've acknowledged all of the issues. Hope this makes sense.