Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Consider that Sega games are mostly garbage whereas Nintendo games are mostly not garbage
I suppose. I'm not sure the SEGA Genesis/MD NSO apps are all that popular even though the emulation is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My problem with N64 stuff is the lack of decent filtering options, raw N64 models blasting into my eyeballs isn’t as pleasant as I remember

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

My problem with N64 stuff is the lack of decent filtering options, raw N64 models blasting into my eyeballs isn’t as pleasant as I remember

there has never been a good emulator filter

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nintendo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Consider that Sega games are mostly garbage whereas Nintendo games are mostly not garbage

*pouring over NSO+* hmm this N64 library is 100% trash, and Genesis has Contra

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That seems like a sound plan. I keep forgetting DQ11 has a massive demo. And if you enjoy Pokémon, more power to you. I didn't enjoy Sword/Shield that much and frankly I think I'll only get remakes of Blue/Red from here on out because I've come to terms that I only like that franchise for its nostalgia factor these days.
I stopped at the Ruby/Sapphire remakes and X/Y games myself and that was just because I had a ton of time to waste in Uni but I grinded those out until I almost had every living pokemon at the time. Sun/Moon never captured me and neither did Sword/Shield

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sun and Moon were so bad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Did someone alter this video or does this really happen on the emulator?
https://twitter.com/chiguinoki/status/1455693413886611464

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're the best games in the franchise op

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

You're mistaking them with Gen V. Weird thing to do.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

more and more people are saying this

Detective No. 27 posted:

fewer and fewer people are saying this

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The problem with any Sega collection is almost all of the best Sega games were licensed and will never appear in a Sega collection

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Spacebump posted:

OK now I'm sold on the Expansion Pass.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

The actual best Emulation used to be on the GC because the emulator was tailored for the game.

https://youtu.be/ounQZv1MFNA

TLDR it’s steadily gotten worse but used to be really great on the GC then a little worse on the Wii

Holy poo poo this is bad, lmao, I haven't played any of the N64 games yet but god drat.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lastdancer posted:

100% happens on the emulator*

*When you have two people playing Ocarina of Time 2-player, for some reason? And the connection is completely trash

I also just saw this https://twitter.com/SouperJ64/status/1452839651387973639 and was really confused how something that bad could get released. I guess it makes more sense that somehow playing single player games online is causing this vs it was just released this badly.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
If you've literally never played an RPG before, it'd be remiss not to mention Chrono Trigger -- it's not on Switch, unfortunately, but it's an excellent option if you have a Nintendo DS lying around (or your phone, I guess). Chrono Trigger is the quintessential jRPG and I always recommend it to friends who've never played one; if they don't dig it, I tell them to skip the entire genre.

If it has to be on Switch, FFX has my vote, or FF9 if you want something a little more retro.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I took a huge poo poo while fighting Andross on my Nintendo Switch.

Star Fox still kicks rear end.

This is the strongest argument I have ever and will ever see, in favor of getting the Expansion Pack.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I also just saw this https://twitter.com/SouperJ64/status/1452839651387973639 and was really confused how something that bad could get released. I guess it makes more sense that somehow playing single player games online is causing this vs it was just released this badly.

yeah this seems to be... someone streaming somebody else's game over a lovely connection?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

OK now I'm sold on the Expansion Pass.

Could we like get a cart tilt button or something, hell yeah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

fewer and fewer people are saying this

It's because it's so forgettable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SilverSupernova posted:

This is the strongest argument I have ever and will ever see, in favor of getting the Expansion Pack.

You've been able to do this since the 3DS.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why are there three people online in a 1 person game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thunder Bear posted:

If you've literally never played an RPG before, it'd be remiss not to mention Chrono Trigger -- it's not on Switch, unfortunately, but it's an excellent option if you have a Nintendo DS lying around (or your phone, I guess). Chrono Trigger is the quintessential jRPG and I always recommend it to friends who've never played one; if they don't dig it, I tell them to skip the entire genre.

If it has to be on Switch, FFX has my vote, or FF9 if you want something a little more retro.

Ooh man, I don't know that I would tell someone to skip the entire genre altogether, but Chrono Trigger is absolutely a must play video game across the board.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Spacebump posted:

They even call out their own lovely college WIFI in a comment on that post.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Astro7x posted:

they're french OP

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Healbot posted:

*pouring over NSO+* hmm this N64 library is 100% trash, and Genesis has Contra

:wrong:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

That's not the emulator, it's the connection. They have a bad connection that is stuttering frame by frame. SNES and NES emulator uses rollback and you don't get this kind of effect, but N64 doesn't for some reason and requires both sides to be perfectly synced.

As to why they are playing a single player game multiplayer, you can do that to show the game to your friend or move a little cursor around on screen to show your friend where to go.

It's weird that they don't use rollback in this because they recently started using it in their games and even changing already released games like Super Mario Party to use it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Astro7x posted:

Doing playthroughs for friends I assume.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

has OOT ever run at a steady 30 in an official capacity?

3DS version

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

I said come in! posted:

Ooh man, I don't know that I would tell someone to skip the entire genre altogether, but Chrono Trigger is absolutely a must play video game across the board.

It's drastic, I know, but my friends are a bunch of normies and I really can't think of a jRPG someone would like if they didn't like Chrono Trigger.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The yoshi story song always sounded like they were saying "eat rear end in a top hat"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
oh word?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

The yoshi story song always sounded like they were saying "eat rear end in a top hat"

I mean, that IS Yoshi's main form of dealing with the various assholes they encounter, is eating them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1455921724017582087

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Real hurthling! posted:

I always heard it as "big rear end in a top hat".

Like gay Bowser's.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I haven't had any problems with the N64 or Genesis/MD online so far. So far i played Mario Kart and Dr. Mario 64 online with 3 people (one of which was wireless and experienced no issues with lag or these weird sound issues. The emulation is definitely far from perfect but from what ive experienced so far, nothing completely atrocious has happened either.

cheetah7071 posted:

The games that decided "X and Y's multiplayer features were too convenient. Remove them and shove in this slow and convoluted city menu" are definitely not the best in a multiplayer focused series like Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SilverSupernova posted:

The games that decided "X and Y's multiplayer features were too convenient. Remove them and shove in this slow and convoluted city menu" are definitely not the best in a multiplayer focused series like Pokemon.

Pokemon is not multiplayer focused