Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyrule Warriors AOC is one of the best Switch games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That cat is absolutely someone's fetish

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Live a live????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mistermojo posted:

I like the ball robot wearing a hat and glasses

He stars in an Alien parody

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

PSX era jrpgs are a ripe field for remakes and brand new English releases but someone at Nintendo needs to remind them to make new games

They are?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahh there is the Expansion Plus seller

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mother 3 is never coming out. The way they handle non-binary characters makes it a landmine of controversy.

That plus the fact their name contains a slur.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If the offensive bigotry is such an integral part of the game that it couldn't be easily fixed in localization, why the gently caress have people been begging for the game for so long?

Because it is an exceptionally good game in almost all respects and that one particular bit isn't intended in a nasty way per say but can translate reaaaaaallly badly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

You can't just change the Magypsies to look different?

Yes but erasing them entirely would also be lovely. They exist in a very weird area where a wrong change probably is more offensive than the original

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Advance War was delayed but Advance Special Operation will come out on schedule

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nrook posted:

the crafting and customizing is really just an excuse to keep playing the game. from what I've seen people really do just love fighting the big monsters with the cool weapons. folks talk about monhun like it's a fighting game, too--- somebody's a dual blades main or a lance main

That's pretty much it. It's kind of a 'single player' fighting game where the goal is to improve your mechanical skill and builds and get better and better at it. (Which lets you get new gear and stronger monsters.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Uhhh

Isn't it out?

March 2022 is not over yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Released in Japan in 2021 though?

I guess I just assumed there were Japanese speaking goons itt that had played it

It took a while to come over, at least partially because they were adding gay romances in a way that wasn't half-assed.

Alan_Shore posted:

I finally got Indivisible on sale and I'm really enjoying it. Nice artwork, great VA, and a fun combat system that's a mix of real-time/turn-based/rhythm. I can recommend this game

I don't mean to rain on your parade but

A) The game is unfinished, it gets worse at it goes on
B) The reason the game is unfinished is because the owner of the studio was a terrible sex pest who drove away all the rest of the staff so the game wouldn't be updated anymore, in addition to running off all the cool cameo stuff so Shovel Knight or whatever won't be in it.

It is like the very definition of a game you shouldn't buy because all the money goes to a terrible person and none of it goes to the people who actually worked on it. Like I know people say 'separate the art and the artist" but in this case the artist was hosed over and run out so you don't really need to separate it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People tend to mistake "I don't like something" with "nobody likes something"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I was 13 when I played it and thought turning into a wolf was rad

You should play Majora's Mask then which lets you turn into many things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I got a builder character moments before a big battle (involving fire traps that I wanted to avoid) and they helped me break the poo poo out of that fight. I would have been slaughtered otherwise because I was outnumbered 3 to 1. I love the unique abilities of every character. It’s hard to choose who to take to each battle!

Yeah the highest praise I can give to TS is that it gives you a character whose primary ability is "build a ladder" or "put down a trap that knocks people to the side" and they are genuinely a worthwhile and useful part of a team that is worth deploying instead if a one-note gimmick character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

how did triangle strategy end up?

It's a really solid SRPG and if you like those you'll enjoy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

i was interested in rune factory 5 because i love being gay but it seems the game isn't very good ...?

It is fine. If you like RF you'll enjoy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That seems like a very bad system

Much like the Switch!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Wonder if US gets Harvest Moon down the line, and/or Harvest Moon 64.

Probably not.

Harvest Moon is in a real weird rights area. The name belongs to Natsume but the actual franchise doesn't.

The actual games are called Story of Seasons now while the Havest Moon games are their own thing. Even rereleases have the SOS branding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

“Story of the Seasons” is a strange name. Sounds like a JRPG. “Harvest Moon” is better.

It is a literal translation of the Japanese name. I like Harvest Moon better too but Natsume gonna keep milking the name until they go out of business

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

What's this then?

One is a sort of pre-Disgaia Disgaia starring the Thiccest Nun and Nicholas D Wolfwood and the other is a musical JRPG

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

"Wise fwom yo gwavhgigg*compressed static*" is the only worthwhile thing from that bad piece of crap.

The ability to use any transformation in any stage is hilarious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you dont like sega you are stupid

Once they port Persona 4 Golden to the Switch we'll talk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er4zU20y8kg

Agreed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is clearly only three heroes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

Enough Elden talk and look at this Harry Potter ripoff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rokaplay/spells-and-secrets

"What if Harry Potter but you didn't have to give money to a horrible transphobe" is probably gonna be a popular genre for a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely don't mind the Chocobo Race. It kinda sucks but it doesn't take that long to get it down. Lightning Dodging sucks because it is pure unfiltered unhindered loving tedium for a minimum of 15 minutes assuming you don't zone off or get bored and eat a bolt. I'd rather try at something I feel like I'm trying at instead of "hit button 200 times in a row while doing nothing else."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chronojam posted:

FF9 was really well received and people were really looking forward to it. The busted website tie-in strategy guide was the only issue. Especially after FF8, eesh, that was rough.

Unfortunately this isn't really true.

A lot of FF fandom came to FF through 7 and 8 which were louting More Realistic Graphics (for the time) and then they went to big headed bobble cartoon characters. It got a similar response to what happened with Wind Waker. Its sales numbers were something like half of what 7, 8 and 10 all reached. A lot of people love IX now and it wasn't like despised on release but the switch to the cartoony art style was met with a lot of "baby poo poo for babies" stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 7, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy x was ridiculed for its voice acting and lip sync issues

Yeah at the time FFX got a lot of "lol the voice acting sucks" and "MEG RYAN" stuff. (Including a bunch of "I bet the Japanese version is better" when it turns out Tidus and Yuna's VAing in Japan was significantly worse!) It still sold fuckin' gangbusters mind you but it was mocked plenty.
FF12 is the closest the series ever came to a bomb. "It plays itself" and "There is no story" were probably the biggest criticisms leveled but for whatever reason game just sold like utter poo poo. XIII and XV had more troubled production history but sold significantly better.
XIV might be the "series bomb" if it hadn't turned itself around into "the most profitable and successful game in the franchise" instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tidus is a teenage sports star with too much success and popularity so it's very easy to imagine him dressing like a complete dumbass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I got to be honest I do not care even a little bit about what clothes any character is wearing.

I know the internet is obsessive on this point however

See I can look past some things but some costumes are so mind-staggeringly dumb that I can't.

Say what you want about Tidus at least he seems to be able to put his clothes on without outside assistance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's hard to measure these kinds of things. You can look at sales to be sure but FFXII had great sales and reviews but I don't think it ever made "lasting waves" in the gaming community.

I can only give impressions from posting on forums about FF since 2003, but it feels like FFX was the last "insta certified classic" FF. Sure it had its detractors but nothing as serious or vitriolic as XIII. FFXII kinda..snoozed by and was quickly forgotten, FFXIII had a massive backlash on boards like this, and I would ay XIII-2's massive differences proved the creators themselves felt like the backlash was serious. But given X-2 radically altered X, I'm not sure if they're just stupid.

FF12's longest legacy is the Gambit System, which it didn't invent but which it simplified enough that variations on it still appear to this day and a lot of developers pretty much credit the Gambit System for some of their ideas. It's not really a huge wave but it still was influential.

If you want to discuss "came and went," FFXV is the king there. It sold incredibly well, got a tie-in movie, anime series, multiple spinoff games, a season (and almost two) of DLC, tons of post-launch support and a huge amount of pre-release hype and absolutely everyone forgets it even exists. I bet people forget that there's a Pocket Version of it available on the Switch because nobody even thinks of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I look forward to the design analysis of Chrono Cross' 50 or so characters in a few weeks.

So I'll stand by my feeling that Chrono Cross has a lot of problems but a lot of the character designs are really excellent. Since characters have so little actual personality they basically depend exclusively on design to communicate their characters and as a result the majority of them have exceptional visual design.

If you like that personality is up for debate because yeah, some of them are loving awful, but Poshul is an annoying pink shitdog and their design communicates that perfectly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was just clicking through a wiki and what the gently caress is this why would anyone do this

Dude is a weird freaky mushroom mutant named Funguy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm agreeing that Chrono Trigger was great, but Chrono Cross was only in people's minds because of it's proximity to Chrono Trigger, much like Friends is remembered as a good sitcom because of it's proximity to Seinfeld

If Chrono Cross came out and it was called Time Squad or Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Temporal Vortex it would be a forgettable JRPG with forgettable characters, but since it requires you to fist pump when you enter "LARA" to save yet another mom from dying, if forces you to file it away with Chrono Trigger in your subconscious.

I think it's the opposite TBH. The Chrono Trigger stuff kind of overshadows everything else.

If it was "Between Dimensions" or whatever and they cut out the hastily added Chrono Trigger stuff I would bet it gets remembered alongside stuff like Xenogears as one of Square's Weird Cool Non-FF JRPGs.

(To be Actually Good it would not need to have 45 characters but that's besides the point.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is kind of a random place to ask this but with the talk of old games going bye bye, it reminded me of how we were talking about physical vs digital media in another thread and somebody said physical isn't inherently superior since it can be lost forever, too. They mentioned PS1 games will be stopping soon.

How does that work? I think cartridges have some sort of battery inside them but how do disks stop working after a certain period of time?

Discs are not perfect and immutable. Over time they decay and rot and once that happens they're hosed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

This is why I backed up all my games onto MiniDisc

Look at this loser. I went for the real superior format UMDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is "Hot or Not" a good barometer for choosing party members in Chrono Cross?

Not unless your fetishes range towards horrible abominations, furries or some combination of the above.

Almost universally "boring looking plot relevant human being" ends up being the best.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 8, 2022