Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Playing the first .Hack//GU and holy crap this game is mid 2000's anime as gently caress. Stunted dialogue and edge all over.

Also a component that I forgot was there that I absolutely love is the world news feed and forum chat.
For context, the game was made in 2006 and is set in 2017, and there is like a headline that goes "3 kids riot at a school, all played videogames" and it's weird to read that when in real 2017 a school shooting happened like once a week.
The videogame panic sure was a thing back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played Lost in Random? Looks really good and right up my alley. Does the Switch version perform well or should I stick to PC for this one?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I remember saying that Disco Elysium would be my "night time" game. And it is, but gently caress me I can't sleep with it. It's so good. I usually just let me Switch drain out completely when I play it. I've put in I don't know how many hours and I'm only just finishing D2! I wonder how long the game is because I'm taking my sweet time.

People mentioned the old Baldur's Gates and Planescape or something. These are similar? I didn't know I wanted games like these so badly. I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, but the sequel doesn't seem like it'll be showing up and as cool as Divinity 2 looks like, the fact that it's 2 somehow turns me off due to my obsessive nature.

If we're talking about Disco Elysium specifically, Baldur's Gate is quite a different beast, but DE is very clearly and obviously inspired by Planescape: Torment. DE has much more polished gameplay and is probably what Torment wanted to be, were it written today. If Disco Elysium ticks boxes you didn't even know you had, and you can look past the jank of a game being 20 years old and designed in an engine that doesn't really suit it, I can't reccommend Torment enough. To its credit, you really don't need to engage with the Infinity Engine any more than you want to.

The Baldur's Gate series are comparably the inspiration for the Pillars of Eternity series; the first one made waves by having a massive overworld for its time, on lovely pre-rendered backgrounds, but if it's the classic version of anything, it's the OG big "open world" game, where you can go whatever direction you desire and will usually find a cool item or a quirky NPC maybe with a sidequest. It's Baldur's Gate II that really set the CRPG archetype of having a heavy central plot and also a lot of interconnected side stories and quest lines and party members that get involved with the plot and offer romances, and involved RPG gameplay where you have to actually pay attention to encounter setups and such.

Don't even trip. FFX has fantastic presentation and I will never contend that. I was even able to answer a question about the setting's metaphysics based on what I happened to recall despite not having touched the game in several years, because it does that well!

All I want to contend is that you can choose to read FFVIII's misleading presentation as a deliberate storytelling device, and everything holds up if you do so, which happens to tick a lot of my personal boxes. Every twist in the series is better than the two big ones in VIII, because the real twists in VIII are the ones the game doesn't bother telling you directly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LuckyCat posted:

Has anyone played Lost in Random? Looks really good and right up my alley. Does the Switch version perform well or should I stick to PC for this one?

No idea about the Switch port but I bought it on sale thinking it looked like a fun Nightmare Before Christmas style game but the combat was so tedious and cumbersome it was unbelievable. When I spent 20 minutes fighting a boss only to die with one hit left I deleted it and never looked back.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

FFX still excellent. I seriously love the puzzle aspect to the battles. I beat this guy just before the Gagazet caverns that took me a little bit of figuring out (died twice), but the way that Buffs/Debuffs actually work in this game is super nice. Had to stop just at the exit of the cavern, I started a boss fight but I'll probably restart it when I get back to the game since I want to play Disco Elysium in the meantime.

You ever get to play Dread?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I just tried a new character with roaming mode. The first thing that happened was I crapped my pants backstage in front of my dad. I got made fun of in the gym because of it. I wrestled my debut match and won, then went to sleep at the hotel. The next morning I awoke to my manager taking a poo poo in my hotel toilet. I got a telephone call in which an unknown enemy threatened my life. Then, a stranger burst through my door and we wrestled furiously. I body slammed him into the sink and then he had me in a headlock. My manager sat on the can, watching. My alarm went off, my wrestling match was soon! I fought out of the headlock, kicked my assailant in the crotch and then ran out the door. I didn't want to be late for work!

It's mdickie so you have to love janky N64 wrestling games to enjoy it. It's completely absurd and very much in the spirit of pro wrestling

STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

No idea about the Switch port but I bought it on sale thinking it looked like a fun Nightmare Before Christmas style game but the combat was so tedious and cumbersome it was unbelievable. When I spent 20 minutes fighting a boss only to die with one hit left I deleted it and never looked back.

Yikes, thanks. I’ll wait for a deep sale or just pass then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

We don't know yet.
4 is really good and 5 looks to be more of the same but fully 3d.

I cannot wait!

Uhhh

quote:

The first entry in the Rune Factory series since 2012's Rune Factory 4, it was released in Japan in May 2021 and will be released worldwide by Xseed Games in March 2022.

Isn't it out?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Uhhh

Isn't it out?

March 2022 is not over yet.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

LuckyCat posted:

I played on PS4 and it was pretty much exactly what the trailers made it out to be, maybe a little more combat-y. So if it looks good to you, you'll probably love it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

March 2022 is not over yet.

Released in Japan in 2021 though?

I guess I just assumed there were Japanese speaking goons itt that had played it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I finally got Indivisible on sale and I'm really enjoying it. Nice artwork, great VA, and a fun combat system that's a mix of real-time/turn-based/rhythm. I can recommend this game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Released in Japan in 2021 though?

I guess I just assumed there were Japanese speaking goons itt that had played it

It took a while to come over, at least partially because they were adding gay romances in a way that wasn't half-assed.

Alan_Shore posted:

I finally got Indivisible on sale and I'm really enjoying it. Nice artwork, great VA, and a fun combat system that's a mix of real-time/turn-based/rhythm. I can recommend this game

I don't mean to rain on your parade but

A) The game is unfinished, it gets worse at it goes on
B) The reason the game is unfinished is because the owner of the studio was a terrible sex pest who drove away all the rest of the staff so the game wouldn't be updated anymore, in addition to running off all the cool cameo stuff so Shovel Knight or whatever won't be in it.

It is like the very definition of a game you shouldn't buy because all the money goes to a terrible person and none of it goes to the people who actually worked on it. Like I know people say 'separate the art and the artist" but in this case the artist was hosed over and run out so you don't really need to separate it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Impressions I've seen of Rune Factory 5 is that it doesn't do much of anything new and imports gameplay from 4 quite heavily. And from gameplay videos I've seen, environments look pretty lovely. Maybe this is the Rune Factory Sword/Shield before Arceus...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barreft posted:

You ever get to play Dread?

Not yet. At the rate I’m going it won’t be till this summer unfortunately. It’s my priority alongside triangle strategy.

I’d like to at least finish one of FFX, which is dépendant how many side quests I feel like doing at end game which at the moment is a lot, or Disco Elysium, before I buy a new game. My gold points expire in April though so I’ll be getting something then for sure.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Regarding the revelations that come up afterwards: I got to say I really like the twist about Tidus and Zanarkand. Like a lot. I was ok with the parallel dimension narrative I had built up for myself and while "It was all a dream" is a horrible cop-out of a tale, it actually holds up here for some reason. It's an excellent game.

I think the reason it works is because "it was all a dream" twists are typically used to wipe away any potential changes for characters other than the protagonist and avoid having to commit to any upheaval of the status quo. Making it "the dream became real" is pretty much the exact opposite of this. For emotional arcs, FFX is definitely my favorite of the lot. Plus, it's the only FF (I haven't played the MMOs) whose story isn't somehow about taking down an evil empire.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

People mentioned the old Baldur's Gates and Planescape or something. These are similar? I didn't know I wanted games like these so badly. I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, but the sequel doesn't seem like it'll be showing up and as cool as Divinity 2 looks like, the fact that it's 2 somehow turns me off due to my obsessive nature.
I haven't played DE but I've heard people compare it to Planescape Torment. I don't know how similar it is to the other Infinity Engine games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't even trip.

I can promise you this. You have convinced me to replay FF8 someday and give it a fair shake, seeing how passionately you defend it. Plus it does have the best music in the series.

Argue posted:

I think the reason it works is because "it was all a dream" twists are typically used to wipe away any potential changes for characters other than the protagonist and avoid having to commit to any upheaval of the status quo. Making it "the dream became real" is pretty much the exact opposite of this. For emotional arcs, FFX is definitely my favorite of the lot. Plus, it's the only FF (I haven't played the MMOs) whose story isn't somehow about taking down an evil empire.

To be fair taking down an evil empire is pretty rad. But yeah the rather “basic” plot is really nice, it’s like they took the beginning 9 and said, let’s make that the whole journey.

Regarding your comments, that actually makes a lot of sense. I know I have probably quite a bit of time to go with this game but I’m looking forward to it. So glad it’s plot twists didn’t enter the zeitgeist like with 7, so it’s all been really cool to see it play out, stilted cutscenes aside.

Objectively the cut scenes aren’t good but that wouldn’t be a problem except for how many there are, and there’s A LOT. They’re serviceable and I get that it’s some of the first ones ever made but yeah… I can see modern audiences being turned off by not being able to skip them, but that’s whatever. They do the job well enough. The voice actors are a mixed bag too, the voices are pretty good but the acting can leave something to be desired at times, the weirdness of scenes implementation explains that.

When I replay it to try out the expert sphere grid (why did we ever stop that, it hits so many pleasure checkboxes in my mind it’s great!), I’ll definitely put it in Japanese to get a feel for that.

Thinking about it now on a train to an airport, we often complain about how “anime” a game can or cannot be. FF has an interestingly low amount of those cliches. It pretends to be pretty self serious I guess and has plenty of other cliches but aside from Edgar in 6 I can’t think of any other unrepentant sex pest, especially in 7-10. It’s rather refreshing all things considered.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't played DE but I've heard people compare it to Planescape Torment. I don't know how similar it is to the other Infinity Engine games.

Planescape's writing is second only to Disco. It's fairly different in tone though, Planescape is thoughally rooted in Dungeons and Dragon's silliness and revels in it, while Disco gradually reveals itself as an achingly poignant treatise on the failures of men and ideologies through the lens of the silliness of the protagonist.

Planescape is solidly built on the same engine as the rest of the Infinity Engine games, but combat is mostly chaff encounters with all the really fiddly technical guff stripped out. Your first party member is a tank with a free taunt that trivialises most encounters. Because of when it was made there's tons of chaff encounters though, but they go by quick.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It took a while to come over, at least partially because they were adding gay romances in a way that wasn't half-assed.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but

A) The game is unfinished, it gets worse at it goes on
B) The reason the game is unfinished is because the owner of the studio was a terrible sex pest who drove away all the rest of the staff so the game wouldn't be updated anymore, in addition to running off all the cool cameo stuff so Shovel Knight or whatever won't be in it.

It is like the very definition of a game you shouldn't buy because all the money goes to a terrible person and none of it goes to the people who actually worked on it. Like I know people say 'separate the art and the artist" but in this case the artist was hosed over and run out so you don't really need to separate it.

Well, that sucks!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the best way to play planescape is a character focused on wisdom, intelligence and charisma because that gets you the most dialog and story and you should skip as much combat as possible because planescape's combat is not very good and a waste of time

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the best way to play planescape is a character focused on wisdom, intelligence and charisma because that gets you the most dialog and story and you should skip as much combat as possible because planescape's combat is not very good and a waste of time
Oh yeah, quick primer

Wisdom: 18
Intelligence: 16
Charisma: 13

Keep bumping wisdom until you have it up to 25 with boosters, then work on Int.

Beeline for the burning man pub and chat to everyone.

Turn into a Mage first chance you get ragpicker square

You and your friends can easily outpace most enemies, but Morte can solo most early game fights.

Most Exp comes from dialogue. Talk to everyone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a preload on that Mario Kart pass? I'm heading away on Wednesday and the wifi is a bit poo poo where I'm going

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Argue posted:

I mean, I guess the world's major religion that controls everything isn't technically an evil empire. Seriously, though, the entire game is about you loving over the Yevonites and pushing back against their process of throwing people into a metaphorical volcano.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there a preload on that Mario Kart pass? I'm heading away on Wednesday and the wifi is a bit poo poo where I'm going
Probably not. Since non-DLC havers can still race the new tracks I'm guessing it'll just be a regular update on Friday.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh yeah forgot about that. cool cool, I'm sure I'll manage

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, .Hack//GU rules. That trilogy is an underrated gem of the PS2 era, and better than the original series.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
olli olli world's gameplay is very cool but the how do you do fellow kids energy is so potent they could weaponize it to torture teenagers

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, .Hack//GU rules. That trilogy is an underrated gem of the PS2 era, and better than the original series.

They're fine, but I think their memorability is boosted by the addition of

Solar Tornado posted:

Also a component that I forgot was there that I absolutely love is the world news feed and forum chat.

It's definitely a big part of why I remember the .hack//GU games over some other random JRPGs from the PS2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did NoE give Mario Day discounts? If so, that is acknowledgment of the American calendar style being the superior one.

Happy Pi Day, btw.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Read After Burning posted:

It's definitely a big part of why I remember the .hack//GU games over some other random JRPGs from the PS2.

I enjoyed a lot of the .hack games growing up because reading the fake message boards of the stuff happening in-game was rad and creeped me out a little when my messages would get erased.

The main thing I remember from //GU was the whole rengeki system being fun to execute.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bug Squash posted:

Oh yeah, quick primer

You and your friends can easily outpace most enemies, but Morte can solo most early game fights.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Read After Burning posted:

Was it better than the original .hack games? I bought the first one but never bothered beating it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bug Squash posted:

Oh yeah, quick primer

Quoting so I can find this later

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Mister Facetious posted:

Was it better than the original .hack games? I bought the first one but never bothered beating it.

In terms of storytelling the original was better.

Honestly, the games are such a slow burn and have this PS2-jankcore to them that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone except people who really want a faithful recreation of their time being immersed in an MMORPG.

Its such a good capture, there is a fake DeviantArt and fake people being weird online. Back when I was playing it I didn't get it. But now, a decade later, I get it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The first set of games would be fine and playable in 202X if party members did things without being ordered to

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m super excited for the new MK8 tracks these week. I have 1000s of hours in the game between the Wii U and Switch version so getting 48 more tracks is a loving dream.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

No. 6 posted:

Wait what

They are adding about 48 race tracks, etc to Mario Kart.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 15, 2022