Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I bought a game on ebay. It finally arrived but it doesn't work. It gives a card read error.
I tried it in my switch and both of my kids' switch lites. Same error. Any other disk works.
The game is a Japanese import, but that shouldn't matter since I have a lot of import games which all work (Xenoblade Torna, etc). The game which does not work is Beyblade which does not have an English text mode. Could that be an issue since my switch is in English? (nope. I switched it to Japanese and no go) I'm hoping theres a way to fix it. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Dr. Shithead posted:

i’d check the contacts on the cart, if they look weird in any way you can clean them with an eraser on a pencil then any smudges left can be whipped off with a clean cloth of some kind.

I tried it. unfortunately, I think the card is dead.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Dumb question, pardon if something similar has been asked in the last 1200 pages.
My kid is 10, and loves Diablo games. He has played through Diablo III and we have multiple copies on Switch and all is fine.
We have been playing Diablo II together on Xbox and I have it purchased on my account for my switch. He wants it on his switch and I am fine with that because he is mature enough to know it's a silly game and it's not going to give him nightmares or make him join a cult or whatever.
So Nintendo doesn't seem to want to let him download it under his account and purchase it. I can't figure out if there's a way for me to buy it for him or authorize it in some kind of backdoor way without changing his age in the system. If that was the only way, and I did so, could I set it back afterwards and turn him back into a 10 year old?

It doesn't care if you have the game card. It will let you hack and slash all night long, but digital seems to be where it has the restrictions in place.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Because he is under parental controls. Diablo is fine, but I'm not sure about all the hentai games and stuff.

I just tried setting up the app (thank you for the suggestion) and although he is listed as unrestricted his age being entered in his profile from a few years ago when I bought him his first switch has him blocked from it in the eshop.

otter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 16, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Oscar Wild posted:

Give him access to your main account. It's between you and God how many hentai games you have.

Diablo II is tied to your battle.net account and he would be playing my guy, not his.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My kids just have regular accounts and I limit what games can be played on the Switch overall with a whitelist and the 4-digit code. That way, it's entirely up to me what games they can play at a moment's notice. :shrug: Up to you, obviously, but that might simplify the whole thing.

I’m going to have to look at if that can be done to the existing accounts or what.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I recall seeing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance at the store and not knowing anything about it. It took me a good week to come around to paying $55 for it (that was what? 2005? So that's like $85 now). So glad I did since I still have my copy (and strategy guide) in great condition. My 10-year-old really likes the FE games now so I am really happy they saved it.

Nintendo really does need to give F-Zero a chance.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I may still have the Radiant Duology lying around somewhere, but I want to play them on again/on Switch. I think they really had the best tactics of the series up until that point. The plot was way serviceable. I'm ashamed to say I never got around to actually finishing Radiant Dawn.

I started Radiant Dawn but never got past the first battle. it was always one of those, "when I get some time" things. There really isn't a reason why Nintendo shouldn't port them both to Switch and sell us a collection, even if it's $75. I'd buy it but then again I'd also pay $40 for a remake of Zelda 1 the same way they did Link's Awakening. I can't imagine it would be THAT hard since all the assets are already made. Cashgrab me, Nintendo, cashgrab me!!!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Has anyone had the same issue I’m having?
I bought an oled switch around Christmas. In January (I think it was) I bought the retroflag grip / controller that is reminiscent of the GameCube control. When I plugged it in it wouldn’t work. I then realized although my switch would pass power through the usbc port it would not pass data. So pro controllers would still work and all but they would think they are wireless and just charging, but it wouldn’t connect to either the retroflag device nor would it recognize that it has a wired network connection.

I sent it to Nintendo, and they fixed (replaced) it. Fast forward to today, I plugged it back into the retroflag device to play some animal crossing and it’s back to not working. Tested the network and we are back to wifi only. Grrrrrr. I’m going to lose my animal crossing island again and it’s a pain in the balls.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Despite having it on my WIi, I wish Nintendo would release the original NSMBW on Switch. I would totally drop $35-40 on that. I did not like NSMBWU nearly as much.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I was going to ask (no sarcasm) if Breath of the Wild was really worth playing, and then I looked on Metacritic and it has a 97 so I think that means yes.
I got about halfway through Link's Awakening last year but never finished it.
Back in the day (2008) I finally played all the way through Link to the Past.
I have never played Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time. I think I put 3 hours into Windwaker.

I think I might finally start it tonight.I bought it like 3 years ago. It might have been like the 2nd or 3rd physical game I got for the switch. I have like 204 physical games now. My kids are "that kid" that everyone went to school with who has a dad that buys all the games and they don't even really appreciate it. At least they are going to make a fortune selling my poo poo when I die.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s illegal to own a Switch and not play BotW. You have 72 hours to start or you will be arrested

I'm tempted to wait until 73 hours from now...
I've been playing weird import games I bought and frankly I need to clean up my office. I'm waiting on shelf brackets (come on, Ikea.com...) and more controller holders.so I can get 2 buckets of controllers out of the way and off the floor not to mention sanding and staining the back board for them. I have too many projects to do and some ADHD that makes it hard to get any of them done in order but by the start of Summer I should have crossed the organizational threshold between hoarding (my wife's view of it) and a museum (mine).

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

2 hours into BotW and yeah, I think I kinda get it.
Only had to get shot by one of the guardians to know better than walk up on it.
I should add, it felt obtuse that the old man wanted me to GO TO the shrines and not just mark them on the map. Maybe I was reading it wrong.

otter fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 30, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

4 hours into Breath of the Wild and my 10-year-old comes into the office, "Whatcha doin' dad? What game is this?"
So now he has my copy of BotW.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Scholtz posted:

... or Switch D-Lite.

The Groove is in the Heart, but it requires an 8 gb download.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Inzombiac posted:

I had to delete XCOM2 (sorry Otter) but I think it's a good trade.

It’s ok. I get it.
I just had to buy a second copy of breath of the wild $28 and change) so the kids would stop fighting over it. All the other games I’ve bought 2 copies of (smash, Minecraft, animal crossing) are so the kids can play together. I got to play like 2 hours of BotW this weekend due to it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Len posted:

not sure how that's different from dropping weapons on the ground to complete circuits instead of moving the boxes they want

or this

https://www.ign.com/videos/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-an-easy-way-to-solve-motion-controlled-puzzles

I figured this out by accident last night. This is exactly where I was, and I got so frustrated because slowly the gyro keeps causing the orientation of the platform to not reset to zero and so I kept having to turn my controller which kept on throwing off my own relation to the space and making me mad. So I just dropped the controller on my lap and it goes... flop. I was like Raphie in A Christmas Story and went, "son of a bitch." I assumed this was the way it was meant to be done.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Oxxidation posted:

xenoblade 2 is a 120-hour game and the first 30 hours or so are a dantean trek through intensifying degrees of misery

i came out of it very positive overall but christ almighty those first four chapters

I only made it to the point you meet Pyra, but the whole game feels more like an interactive movie up to that point. Then my switch died and I lost my game save and now I have to start again. Except now my switch has died again and I have to send it back to Nintendo. (Well, not DEAD, but the usb port won't work with controllers and /or the ethernet port on the dock. Again)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

LionArcher posted:

I did a system transfer to my Zelda switch . I’m curious, did I just lose my animal crossing island? If I did, all good, I haven’t picked it up in a year +.

The oled switch really is nice.

I need a grip for it, but drat does the Zelda addition look great paired next to a ps5.

I have a suspicion the Retroflag grip (that looks like a gamecube controller) is responsible for breaking my OLED switch's usb port twice now. Love the aesthetic but hate having to do warranty service for it...

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Breath of the wild has inspired me to give skyward sword another chance. At some point. Probably after TotK. But I’m like 20 hours into BotW right now so we shall see.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Sakurazuka posted:

Buy Links Awakening

Nintendo owes us Zelda 1 and Link to the Past remade using the Link's Awakening assets. Why not done nintendo? TAKE MY MONEY!!
Charge me $100 for it, idgaf. I'll buy two copies.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I want an Earthbound remake in the Link's Awakening engine.

Also, this all day long.

otter fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 18, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

That being said, one can grab the windwaker wii u for under $200 https://www.ebay.com/p/171444296?iid=155507899072&thm=5000 as seen here.
People online will charge whatever they can get. That being said, my kids are going to make a fortune selling off my collection when i die.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Len posted:

that's because for some reason nintendo fans collect systems in a way that xbox/playstation people don't

What about Sega people?
I just collect pretty much everything, though I haven't had a real Atari 2600 since around 1990. I think my brother sold it and all the games for less than $50.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Just catching up. I'm 95+ hours and 103 shrines into BotW.
Holy poo poo, game of the decade 2012-2022.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

B33rChiller posted:

How does that run?

Sideways

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Pikmin 1 was the game that sold me on the Gamecube. I saw it at my friend's house and it made me say, "Wait, this is something special". Then I sank hundreds of hours into Animal Crossing and spent insane amounts of money (What was it, $59??) on Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Speaking of Wii ports, Nintendo still owes me NSMBWii on the switch.
Take my money, Nintendo! That and Earthbound gets the Link's Awakening treatment.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I can't imagine it wouldn't have gyro.
I have a PowerA wireless controller for the Switch which was super cheap (I think I paid $15 for it) and it has gyro.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

hatty posted:

Knocked out Tears of the Kingdom, all the shrines, all of the outfits, 140 hours. The ending sequence was terrific and the Final Boss was a major improvement over BotW. Game good

Wow.
I JUST tonight got the 120th shrine in BotW.
I think I'm going to get the DLC just for the extra shrines before I finish it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

symbolic posted:

Mother 3 official TL, you heard it here first

That would be nice. Especially since I’ve been planning to start it soon.
Couldn’t they just turn one of those AI translators loose on it or something?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Fancy autocomplete can just about stay coherent and correct in English across a span of paragraphs why in the world would anyone expect it to do a useful translation of something as complex as an entire game’s script

It seems logical if I can aim my phone at Japanese text and it can translate it at that moment, a much faster computer using more advanced translation capabilities could do even better. Presuming they preserved the source code for the game (pause for laughter) they could in theory have a human translator look at it and check how much of it makes sense. Now of course that is just translation and not localization so there’s more work to be done. But didn’t Starmen offer to lat Nintendo use their translation free? I’d love to see it remade like link’s awakening style. Mother 2, also.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I dunno. I think I've been playing BotW on average 3-5 hours/day for since TotK came out, and so have my kids. So it's given us a ton of poo poo to talk about. Not only between us boys, but also they talk to their friends on the playground at school about it like we did as kids. They even pretend to be characters from the game when playing in the pool and beating the poo poo out of each other with pool noodles.

Both of them have beaten it now (I suck because I have to work every day) but we have all played it in different ways. I focused on beating all the shrines and doing things in a more orderly fashion. My 8 year old focused on solving as few puzzles and brute forcing his way through challenging things. My 10 year old was the first to beat it and did so in about 80 hours. The only one who hasn't and won't play it is my wife, who hates games entirely.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Is twilight princess as worthwhile as breath of the wild?

My Zelda background:
Zelda 1: started in 87/88, didn’t own it until 97, beat it first in 07? Love it.
Zelda 2: struggled with it. I feel like I should try again.
LttP: didn’t beat it until 09. Loved it.
Windwaker: tried it a little when it came out and couldn’t get anywhere in it.
Skyward sword: got it for switch, played a few hours and found it tedious.
Links Awakening: charming and I love it, but paused in the middle of it and couldn’t figure out what I was doing in it.
BotW: started it a few weeks ago. Game of the decade 2012-2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I’ll probably start with ocarina and see how that goes. I don’t know why I haven’t ever given them a shot. I played quest 64 and got really far before it dumped my game save. I do t know if it was just a freak occurrence or if I had a bad cartridge or what. My friend borrowed it and never gave it back along with a bunch of my n64 and ps1 stuff in like… 2003? Now he just shrugs every time I ask about it which pisses me off.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

The man called M posted:

Just curious, those of you that have/had Stick Drift on your Joycons, when did it happen …

I got a red box switch. No drift from those joy cons. Bought a set of grey ones from GameStop: they came with drift. Bought a set from Walmart new in box, no drift yet. Bought a set from the goodwill computer store, came with drift. Both of my kids have put drift into both left and right joy cons on their switch lites, and now on their regular switches. So at some level it may have to do with how hard you press them and how rough you are on them.

It took me about 5 minutes to swap out the stick in my kid’s left joy con this afternoon because of how aggressively he plays fortnite. He just got it with a brand new stick in it for Christmas.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tell me you've never seen Elijah Woods 1994 movie North without telling me

I think you mean the 1994 Rob Reiner film with an ensemble cast. There was also only one Elijah Wood in the movie.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It really is a highly underrated movie.
In switch related questions my brother is finally getting one and asked me “aside from Mario / Zelda/ Kirby type first party platform exclusives, what would you recommend in the way of games that aren’t done better on another platform?”

Suggestions?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

How has nobody suggested that the remake is f zero?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

symbolic posted:

earthbound is without flaw and thus needs no remake

speaking of which, I bought this and it arrived a few days ago: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804412992393.html
It is insanely soft.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

We’re like 8 1/2 hours away from the direct. Is the surprise announcement going to be Mother related? Take my god damned money, Nintendo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

As a Pikmin head, I’m freakin’ over the moon.

is there going to be a physical release though? Or just digital downloads?