Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dodgeball academia if you can get past the weird Cartoon Network-y artstyle is fun

the port of Quake has some lighting issues but is mostly excellent and that game has aged really well gameplay-wise with modern controls.

Mr. Driller is for arcade/puzzle game fans, if you like games like Tetris/Tetris Attack/Dr Mario this is a good one, even though it can get hard as balls.

Luigi's Mansion 3 seems to have gotten forgotten shortly after release and I'm not sure why, it's wonderful and really easy to pick up and put down

There Is No Game is a cute well-made indie parody of classic games which I liked a lot more than I thought I would

there's also West of Loathing but apparently the developer of that is a massive scumbag or something. I really liked it, for what that's worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I used the touchscreen for Hypnospace Outlaw lol. it was kind of a pain but not that bad.

M+keys is the ideal for obvious reasons

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also if you like turn based RPGs but don't want one that's like 30 hours long Fuga: Melodies of Steel (aka the game where you fire kemonos at nazis) was enjoyable and not long by RPG standards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bufu deez

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SpicyPete posted:

SMTV is reviewing worse than Forza, rip switch

the you tubers are having a field day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Has anyone checked the thumbs up/thumbs down ratio yet????

The grover puppet guy is about to post an epic takedown of this fail sandwich

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lunar detritus posted:

not surprised about the reviews, can't believe they'd make a persona spinoff using only the most boring part of it

they made a game about Ohya????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You know what's interesting? The video they put out explaining that metroid prime 4 was not coming along well and they decided to scrap everything and start over...has a lot more likes than dislikes. I'm surprised it wasn't met with a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth but it seems like gamers took the news pretty well

i think the big takeaway was that they pulled off whoever was working on it and put on Retro Studios who everyone likes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was cool when people would talk about that as the Innate Homophobia of the Oriental and not that the persona director was a weirdo about gay poo poo

p5r removed some of it in localization which isn't much of a solution but i dont think anything can be done about p4 lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't say equally bad, no, but it's still pretty dumb and bad, yeah. They try to pressure Ryuji into doing drag performance, basically. Also, the change is only in the localization--the Japanese text is unchanged.

It's unfortunate that they couldn't just cut those scenes entirely. I sorta suspect the localizers would've liked to.

this is getting into weird territory but i fundamentally dont think it's the job of the localizer to fix the game's writing being bad, and while it was nobody's intent it kind of just plays into the "well japan is just weird about gay people" thing when it's specifically an issue with one specific dude

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i liked the extra semester in 5R

P5 is less about "bad twists" and more that the whole game is excessively uneven where the first chapter is some of the best stuff in the game but a lot of the rest is just weirdly paced and messy and

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Maybe Atlus should've spent a few more bucks on the localization of P5

it's so bland

i believe a lot of this was the result of the game development being a loving mess and having a shitload of rewrites even relatively close to release, the extra semester in 5R and especially the Strikers spinoff (on the Nintendo Switch entertainment system) are far better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

it's quite bad, and something I'm surprised doesn't get talked about more

does P5R do anything about it?

It got talked about a lot lol

Also nah the most egregious errors were fixed but the extra semester is notably better than the main game. doing a full rewrite of an insanely long RPG was probably beyond the scope of the budget for Royal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Postman posted:

new popeye came out today

i was really mad when i saw this and it ended up not being the arcade game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

yeah how dare they prefer some other thing to a slightly different thing

It's basically never reasonable to review something by saying it should have been a different game with entirely different design goals

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Achmed Jones posted:

sometimes a game falls down on its own merits and people illustrate that by comparing the game's failings to games that are better

when a platformer sucks and somebody compares it to a good platformer, that is not the same as refusing to evaluate it on its own merits

its the difference between saying you liked Sonic 2 more than Mario World and saying that Mario World was bad because it didn't have Sonic 2's movement system

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh no not the reviewers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one of the worst reviews i ever read was a rockpapershotgun review which was more or less complaining the entire time that the game wasn't Ori and the Blind Forest instead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

RPS was good for a while when it was the old UK PCZone/Gamer staff but it absolutely sucks now

it was by one of the original RPS guys i think. they also had a pretty infamous review of Fallout: New Vegas, i dont think it was ever a very good site

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how much of the general audience even knows that persona and SMT are part of the same mega franchise

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RPS was good for a while when it was the old UK PCZone/Gamer staff but it absolutely sucks now

yeah it was john walker who was a cofounder

quote:

The two games have a great deal in common, but Ori is just better in every element. And sure, that's an awkward critical path ("this game isn't as good as the best example of this genre"), but it starts to become a more imposing issue when the game in question appears to bring nothing new to the table.
_________

But perhaps you're not. Perhaps you just want to plough through another metroidvania (if only we had a better name than that), and then this is a fine game for you. It ticks most of the boxes, completely with difficulty spike bosses that make me want to carve my hate for the experience in the sides of mountains, but apparently people love those. It's a pretty, competent, if needlessly frustrated standard of the standard. That might be just what you need.

If you're looking for something like this, then get yourself Ori & The Blind Forest, which is truly tremendous.

:chloe:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

do you think those reviewers are writing thos reviews for people who are already familiar with smt?

all of those people are already buying the game, reviews or no

yeah they should instead be comparing it with another niche series which has a connection to smt that only RPG enthusiasts really know about

also instead of comparing they should be complaining that niche series A isn't more like niche series B instead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

there are like five people on the internet who care about "purposeful critique" in reviews instead of "should i buy this"

you need to wait for the 1000 hour Tim rogers video for that, you're such a big fan of him

i think the number of people who want to find out of SMT5 is good is more than the number of people who care whether or not the reviewer likes SMT games or Persona games better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

b_d posted:

was this about dread or hollow knight? i mean lol either way

it was hollow knight. he also spent like half the review of Guacamelee complaining that boss fights in video games should be skippable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
literally comparing it to Pokemon would probably be more helpful to like everyone concerned

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the one that seems to trip a lot of people up is that the boss you get after the multi-rockets upgrade has a healing phase that isn't obvious because the bosses dont have health bars, resulting in people thinking it actually takes like 20 minutes to kill

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i agree with that guy which is why the true pro gaming option is 10/10 game Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all honesty you shouldn't play with CPU characters because nobody likes it when CPU Chance Times your rear end while it's hysterical when someone in the room does it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the DS mario & luigi RPGs if those count as Nintendo produced.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think board games need a touch of chaos, because if it's just skill it's a done deal if you're not all the same level of good.

one reason i liked mahjong (the japanese variant) was that the combination of skill and luck give it the thrill of gambling while still letting good players win on average. Poker has the same sort of deal though I'm not familiar with that at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they do look slightly better on CRT or with a good filter but i can't go back to almost any of those pre-rendered sprite games. DKC still looks like liquid rear end. the only thing that looks worse is those photo-generated sprite games like OG Mortal Kombat

i actually have an easier time these days with N64/PS1-era 3D graphics, a lot of which was very well done when they played around the limitations of the time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sorry thought i was in the ps5 thread

then why did you mention games. ha ha ha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the problem with Dread walljumping is they do the thing where you aren't allowed to climb a wall with the walljump because it kind of locks the air control when you jump off a wall. I get why they did this, it gives them more control over access, but I definitely prefer being able to wall-climb.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Len posted:

Samus picked up the bullets but not the gun that launches it is how I think of the power bomb

you need to get the suit's butthole upgraded to poop out the power bombs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gen5 had scraggy/scrafty who is the pokemon most likely to be described as "lil' dude"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

b_d posted:

that's a mirror :laugh:

thank you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

b_d posted:

you jumped in front of the bullet

i am a scrafty irl so it works either way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the cell division pokemon in gen5 is another all time favorite of mine. cool jello bear thing.

and hydreigon. simply epic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the b est generation 4 pokemon was the washing machine, not the least because it was insanely powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i liked heartgold but i liked the insane amount of money the used game shop gave me for it even more