Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Zq8EMCdZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Just picked up the Castlevania Advance collection and I'm having a hell of a good time with Circle of the Moon. I bought Portrait of Ruin ages ago and never finished it, but otherwise I've barely played Castlevania before. Controls feel nice and chunky and graphics look fantastic on a TV. Save states are much appreciated because I'm terrible at platformers. Planning to save Aria for last because people seem to like it the most. Hopefully they'll update the DS games too because I'd like to finish Portrait someday. It's easy to see why people are crazy for these games, the feel and sense of style are so strong.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 27, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

abelwingnut posted:

what's the appeal of golf story? been playing it a few hours and it's not really clicking. the golf's fairly easy and the story's not much. what am i missing?

The golfing will get more difficult once you pass the first course. Also I think the writing is good. NPCs standing around the course have a lot to say

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Shovel Knight with all the DLC is down to like $22. Tumbleseed is $6 if you want something way different

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
So far I'm in for:
Fire Emblem Three Houses, which has been remarkably fun so far. I'm really impressed having not played FE since the GBA days. Scratches the Xcom itch and the writing is way better than expected. The rewind feature is cool and retains some of the tension of classic mode without endless save scums.
Katamari Damacy
Shovel Knight
Dead Cells
Castlevania Advance and Classic collections
Crawl - loving amazing if you have someone to play with. One of my all time favorites.
Namco Archive Vol 1, wholly for the Pac Man CE demake
Tumbleseed

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

No I went up and killed the bell gargoyles and now I've gone down with all the ghosts and you have to use an item to be able to even hit them, and there are so many inside the buildings. I will prevail but it's not fun at all atm

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

loudog999 posted:

I’m about 15 hours into Dragon Quest XI and have been using auto battle most of the time. At this point it feels like I’m just watching the game instead of playing. Do you all use this or switch back and forth in certain situations?

Skip more battles to underlevel a little bit, so every fight gets more challenging and meaningful. I auto battled less and less as the game went on, mostly to preserve MP.

re: 8bitdo pairing, my Pro+ confused me for months until I noticed that I was booting the controller on the wrong mode all the time. A particular button combination boots into Windows mode, another for Switch, and so on, and if you just press start it will automatically attempt to boot into the last used setting. Hell my PC will pair to it in either mode, and the inputs change accordingly from Nintendo to Xbox style.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 1, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

TheHoosier posted:

How's the performance on XCOM 2? Been thinking about picking up that and Age of Calamity, but I'm worried the performance on XCom will be utter dogshit

Really loving bad. I hated the level design overall but if you like it then the performance might not ruin it for you. But the story level with a bunch of turrets that deployed from the floor, where you unlock the mech units took so drat long that I couldn't be bothered to do more

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 2, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

Dark Souls again: just got cursed for no reason (I was hit once by a frog and died even though I had loads of health) in the Depths.

So now I have half life until I get a stone or someone heals me? What a wonderful and confusing mechanic that ensures I have to spend half hour getting out of the dungeon to seek a cure.

:jiggled:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 3, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah I forgot about that curse does it in addition to hollowness lol, time for a trip to Oswald

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Luv 2 give myself PTSD by playing Doom Eternal inches from my TV with volume maxxed for the sensory overload

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what is the most sensory duress you have experienced in a video game. mine is when i turned my monitor off

Realtalk and not Switch but mine is shelled in then middle of a fight in Verdun. Disorienting and terrifying, you wonder how anyone could come out of that with their mind intact

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Waffle! posted:

*saves game manually*
*saves again just to be sure*

every time i play fire emblem

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Loop Hero preorders will unlock tonight :woop:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Hammer Bro. posted:

Neat -- lemme know how it is. That one looked kinda cool when they announced it, then I forgot about it. And right now my SMT:V is in some stocking or other.

played 3 hours of Loop Hero today. controller support is good. text is a little small, i suggest using the high def font instead of pixel font. gameplay is fun and mysterious, but the numbers are clear enough to tell how things the mechanics connect. i never played the PC release but this one seems to work without glitches or issues so go hog wild

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Google Butt posted:

can I get some chill game suggestions that aren't Stardew, Portia or animals crossing thanks

Picross

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

McCracAttack posted:

It works for odd programming problems too. Just shelve it and look at it again in the morning.

musical instruments too, rest is a necessary step in mastering a piece

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
839 hours this year :captainpop:

14 hours in MonHun the day after release lmao

telling myself these numbers are inflated by idle start screen time

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 14, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
another strike against physical copies

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Picked up Blasphemous and Burnout Paradise in the eShop sale today :hellyeah:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Wii made RE4 too easy. Also couldn't they do a similar control scheme with gyros or whatever?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Cool Dad posted:

I just bought a switch for the first time. I got Breath of the Wild which seems obligatory, and I bought 100 dollars of estore credit. What should I buy now? What are the best things on Switch? I bought Battle Brothers because I wanted a strategy game and it's on sale and I've heard it's good.

Slay the Spire
Binding of Isaac Repentance
Monster Train
Monster Hunter Rise
DOOM (the OG, it's cheap and good)
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Fire Emblem Three Houses (strategy)
Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (if you like old school roguelikes and beautiful sprites)
Dragon Quest XI - worth it even if you don't like JRPGs, it's transcendent
Spelunky 2 (tough but fair platforming)

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 18, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
speaking of cheap stuff, Overcooked is $2: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/overcooked-special-edition-switch/

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
A Robot Named Fight is also $2: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a-robot-named-fight-switch/

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Only get it if you’re going to play it, buying a game because it’s cheap when it’s just going to sit in a backlog is reckless. I learned that lesson the hard way through Steam sales, I still have dozens of games on Steam that I haven’t played yet. Including Saints Row 4 that I bought like 5 years ago :shepspends:

nodding vigorously as i click buy on re4

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
picross is so loving boring but perfectly so

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

I've got 5 days to play some switch games with my little sister before she moves back across the country again. I haven't played a game other than AC and Runescape in months and have no idea what to do. Any recommendations?

If she is down for intense action: Crawl. Best couch co op I've played since Halo 1

If not: Mario Kart or Super Mario 3D World

If you have 40 hours to kill and you both love RPGs: Divinity Original Sin 2. I think this supports online multiplayer so you can resume later

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

thehoodie posted:

I got a $99 (not 100 for some reason) gift card for Xmas. What should I buy! Pikmin? SMTV? Fire Emblem? Something else?

speaking as a person that hasn't played the series since the GBA days, fire emblem three houses is very good. i'd go for DQXI if you haven't got that yet, i loved it despite generally disliking JRPGs and animes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
anybody playing Pokemon Unite? i just started today and it totally owns. and it's free

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Chikimiki posted:

So I just got a Switch with Pokémon Shining Pearl for my birthday/Xmas and I was wondering what other games to get.
Of course there are all the exclusives like Mario or Zelda, there is a huge amount of indie games (most of which I already have on PC), and there is a sale going on as well! Are there any must haves in that sale? Are sales frequent like on Steam? Should I rebuy all my PC indie games? Or should I just go with BotW?
So many questions, thanks if you can help me out here guys!

there are a bunch of recent recs in at the bottom of the OP

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

Monster Train ans StS are both great

StS is better and harder

agreed. i prefer monster train because the runs take less time and it doesnt smash my balls if i don't play optimally, but i've got 50+ hours in both and switch between them often

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Regarding Monster Hunter, be aware that monsters will often go on these long attack chains that prevent you from hitting for a weirdly long time. Sometimes you might barely get a hit in for a minute or two before they settle down.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Stux posted:

the peak of zelda is links awakening

i played botw and the link's awakening for the first time in 2021 and i gotta agree

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Huxley posted:

How is the Shiren game?

it's extremely good, and the multiplayer elements are still going strong. the monthly leaderboard function is great, and not dominated by ace players. i love crunchy roguelikes and it's one of the most refined and unique among them. the graphics look far better in motion than screenshots would lead you to believe. it's on my list in the GOTY thread :science:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 6, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
playing through super metroid for the first time. i'm in ridley's lair. finally gonna beat this fuckin game

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The Bloop posted:

DQXIS is very very anime looking but not particularly anime tropey

It has some DQ running gags that border into skeevy but it doesn't play out like a stereotypical anime, really

:yeah: I have a low anime threshold and I love DQXI a lot. It's a fairy tale

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

awesome game, truly. only referred to walkthroughs twice, once for the power bomb tube and then to get out of Maridia because I didn't want to flail around to find the proper exit. so glad I followed through on this one. years ago I made a few failed attempts on ZSNES but it was so much better on a proper console.

Next up: finish the last 2 dungeons in the Link's Awakening remake. I've been saving those for a quiet weekend

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

American McGay posted:

Idk how you can shoot an arrow in BOTW and not immediately see how gyro aiming is the future.

i tried for an hour and loving hated it then did the remaining 50 hours with sticks. easier on my wrists

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Huxley posted:

Finished the third tower early in Shiren, made it to the second village and did some housework, registered a weapon, then thought I saved. Relaunched the game this morning and was back at the first city again with an empty inventory because swapping to a different game apparently still registered as a death.

Very confused.

This is the worst feature of Shiren imo. You have to complete the save process to the point where it bounces you out to the main menu, then quit, or else it assumes that you're attempting to save scum. All of the Shiren games do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
diablo 2, like the castlevanias, is fully worth playing for the aesthetics alone