Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Finished Elden Ring, now I can push that trash aside to clear my schedule for the real GOTY, Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

In celebration of the upcoming Kirby game, there is now a Kirby thread.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

30 years on I'm still not sure what Rainbow Resort actually is, but I want to live there.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The quiet part that everyone is afraid to say loud is that Kirby and the Forgotten Land simply contains far more Waddle Dees than any other video game in history, Kirby or otherwise. You have to make some sacrifices to accomplish such an amazing feat.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 26, 2022

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I only now got NSO and am ready to play my favorite classic Nintendo video games. Is there really no way to change controller bindings or am I a blind moron? I would vastly prefer to set B > A and Y > B but I can't find a way to make that happen. Thanks in advance.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Thank you both.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

euroshopper posted:

speaking of kirby how does the new game compare with return to dream land? (last console title i played)

If you liked Return to Dreamland, you'll probably love Forgotten World. Some changes:

Abilities are scaled way back. There aren't as many and they don't have big movelists, but they can be evolved into new forms which are very cool and give a good feeling of progress.

It's far more exploration-focused. Stages are still fairly linear but individual segments are wide open with lots of secrets to find. They really took advantage of the move from 2.5D to full 3D.

If you enjoyed how nuts Return to Dreamland got in the endgame then you should know Forgotten World gets about 10000% more wild than that.

It's not super long, or particularly difficult unless you're a completionist (as with all Kirby titles) but is a certified Great Game (as with all Kirby titles).

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Libluini posted:

It's just Americans being weird again, imho.

PEGI and USK (Europe and Germany) are still listing Kirby 64 for ages 3 and 0, respectively.

Call me a square, but I don't think newborn infants should be allowed to play Kirby. They'll start emulating him, for example trying to swallow things or inflating themselves to double size and floating around the room. Lawsuit city!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Also, he hates north america. He is pissed every time he has to come here

In Planet Robobot (the best Kirby) he is equally pissed in both regions.

External Organs posted:

Someone should make a thread about cross cultural marketing in video games because this CANT be the only instance of this, right?

It only happened one other time, with Mobile Light Force 2.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Sonic Colors level biomes kicked rear end because they were all mashups

Beach/amusement park
Food/mountain
Space/cyber city/psychedelia
Water/Japan
Nature/bigass machinery
Amusement park/Hell zone

And then the 2P/challenge mode took place inside a computer.

I wish more levels did the whole 90s "inside the computer" thing with random microchip platforms and bits of off-brand windows UI as obstacles/enemies. The most recent example I can think of was Sheep Man's level in Mega Man 10.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

I would like Smoliv from Pokemon and Lollive from Bugsnax to be friends. :kiddo:

With a pen and paper and the magic of your imagination, you can make it happen.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

Did they recover their geo? :ohdear:

Luckily, they stored all their geo in a secure and trustworthy bank.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

I hope they bring back the big stupid spectacle fights. Yeah I know the Bayo2 fights are mechanically better, but playing a Bayo I want it as maximalist as possible and nothing in 2 quite had the visual impact of the Archangels.

I was going to counter with Lumen Sage where you duel while your summons duke it out in the background but that's really just a badass setting for an otherwise fairly standard second rival encounter fight. Other than him and the final boss, I can't even really remember any of the other Bayo 2 bosses. There was the guy who had a sword for a head and the plant lady ripped from DMC4 and...I think some kind of flying snake thing you fought with a jetplane? Hell if I can remember any of their names though. I won't ever forget my friends Fortitudo, Temperantia, Iusticia, and Sapientia.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

I have no nostalgia or interest for the Ninja Turtles & couldn't tell any of them apart. Is the new game worth playing if I have no knowledge of the series?

For reference, big fan of the Streets of Rage series & especially SoR4.

Quick reference guide:

Leonardo leads
Donatello does machines
Raphael is cool but rude
Michelangelo is a party dude

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I made the mistake of playing Bayo 1 in the TV room while I was visiting my parents and the single time they came in to ask me something was during the Joy cutscene.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The worst video game genre name is "Cute 'em Up" for games like Fantasy Zone.

Agreed. Fantasy Zone's specific genre should be "Greatest Arcade Game of All Time" or "GAGOAT."

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Tunic seems neat. Like a nice little Zelda-like. Was this already released elsewhere?

Yeah, it's been out a while on PC at least. It's interesting, like you're playing another dimension's version of Zelda and you can't read the language so you're just poking around and figuring things out as you go along. A big-deal collectible is pieces of the game manual so you're slowly piecing together mechanics and abilities you always had access to, just didn't know how to use. Combat is kind of clunky but the exploration and discovery is top notch.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Will Arnett in talks to play Waluigi.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I'm playing through the Condemned games and the second one begins with your old boss, Paul Eiding, bringing you out of retirement to find out who killed your mysterious benefactor, Paul Eiding.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Tunic does have an accessibility option to make it so you never die. I highly recommend it because the combat is bad and the game around it is amazing.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Well, how about this: If I like Slay the Spire, will I like the card game in Inscryption?

If you like Slay the Spire you will break Inscryption over your knee.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

EightFlyingCars posted:

chunky 2.5d is one of my favourite video game aesthetics, they've aged like milk but the milk turned to cheese. i think? pretty sure that's how cheese works anyway

That's how it worked in Brave Fencer Musashi, so it's good enough for me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

My most played game this year was Silksong.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

they call it the switch because you switch it on and have fun

:yeah:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

SeeD is short for

Sorceress Destroyers

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I don't get the thread title, is it supposed to be a pun on "The Best Nuts?"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

i know forgotten land gets all the love, but how is star allies?

Main campaign is boring but mercifully short. Post game is some of the most expansive Kirby content there is.

It's not anywhere in the same league as Forgotten Land but it is the only Kirby game that features the Friend Train and the only Kirby game in which you can play as my best friend Magolor.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

External Organs posted:

Time to save the thread! What's the coolest power evolution in Kirby and the Forgotten Land?

I love the Meta Knight sword.

Space Ranger. 10/10 power, 10/10 cool factor, 10/10 cuteness, a true triple threat.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Admiral XBox over here doesn't like Nintendo World? Are you kidding me?

Hey, Major Microsoft - gently caress you!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Both. I'll kill myself before I give a gently caress who people on Twitter are.

I am banning you from this thread until you learn your Gamer history. Kids like you make me sick. No appreciation for the heroes of yore. I'm going to throw up.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Finally Magolor is going to get some loving respect.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

MP1 has me wondering if a Starcraft "FPS" could've worked in another timeline. I know that SC:Ghost ended up completely mediocre, but C&C renegade was fun as hell, and MP owns and they cover a lot of similar "aliens franchise with serial numbers filed off" vibes.

I thought Ghost didn't end up at all.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

(Sw)itch

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Pretty wild that Return to Dream Land sold over a mil when they only released 12 copies.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Don't you dare insult the name of the mighty fae lord Wario with that filth.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I'm sorry if this was discussed before, but I just recently saw this video/news about some WiiU units possibly failing due to their NAND flash memory running out of charge because it used cheap components.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHME4zLs6Qs

Of course, it makes me worry about my WiiU in storage right now. However, the video brings up another concern that makes we worry about my Switch/3DS cartridge collection. Could these carts really only have a lifetime of like 20 years?
I remember seeing a few videos a couple years ago about the threat of "disc rot" which made me worry for my CD/DVD-based collection, but that seemed overblown.

It's all good, none of us will be alive in 20 years.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

All Kirby is win. And epic. All of it. Except maybe the f2p ones.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

F (in the chat) Zero

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

*Zeppeli looking up at Dio* You monster! How many 3090s did you hoard to mine those coins?

*Dio laughs* Oh-ho! How many Switches have you bought in your life?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Please don’t deadname Zelda in the Nintendo Switch thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

dumb question what is pinkerton people keep referring to?

A popular Magic the Gathering streamer accidentally got a pack of the newest, unreleased set early. Wizards of the Coast sent the actual loving Pinkertons after him.