Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I may buy the Battle Network collection to support the series but I don't think I'll play through all of those games again. I'm afraid of corrupting my good memories with harsh reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

helsabot posted:

i want a game like sotn but bloodstained ran lovely and was dorky and i don't like how little the sprites are in hollow knight. what should i buy

Buy SotN on mobile. It's also controller compatible. And it's only USD ~$3

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

I'm excited for the Mega Man Battle Network re-release even though I've never played any of 'em!

I owned the third one, and while the mechanics are fun as hell, the world design of 3 was loving. GARBAGE. I can't think of a SINGLE other game ever made that had you backtracking the same areas over, and over, and over, and loving OVER. AGAIN.

And of course, the pixel art is absolutely beautiful.

2 was supposedly very overpowered and unbalanced. Like, MW2 levels of crazy builds.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mister Facetious posted:

I owned the third one, and while the mechanics are fun as hell, the world design of 3 was loving. GARBAGE. I can't think of a SINGLE other game ever made that had you backtracking the same areas over, and over, and over, and loving OVER. AGAIN.

And of course, the pixel art is absolutely beautiful.

2 was supposedly very overpowered and unbalanced. Like, MW2 levels of crazy builds.

Nier: Automata. :smug:

is a good game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

I may buy the Battle Network collection to support the series but I don't think I'll play through all of those games again. I'm afraid of corrupting my good memories with harsh reality

i stalled out on my playthrough on 5 but 2 and 3 hold up pretty well

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nier: Automata. :smug:

is a good game.

Never played it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hatty posted:

at the very least 2 and 3 are legit great games that hold up well
1 is kinda a rough draft for the series
I remember 5 being iffy but 6 being pretty solid
Don’t play 4

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 19, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I will never play 4 again, I’d maybe play 5 until the liberation missions get too annoying. 6 I remember loving so I’m looking forward to that, I think they’re including all the Boktai stuff that was cut

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Augus posted:

Don’t play 4

Is it due to the mood meter thing? Wikipedia tells me that's new for 4 and it sounds kinda dumb.

Mister Facetious posted:

Never played it

I'm sure there's way more egregious examples, it's just a recently-played example for me. Yakuza series, technically, but those games are dope as hell, I love Kamurocho.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 19, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is it due to the mood meter thing? Wikipedia tells me that's new for 4 and it sounds kinda dumb.

I'm sure there's way more egregious examples, it's just a recently-played example for me. Yakuza series, technically, but those games are dope as hell, I love Kamurocho.

I always figured the Yakuza series was meant to be open world, but was only segmented into areas due to ram limitations of the ps2/3

I guess Monster Hunter Rise kind of counts though. It could use some more biomes, or even different versions of the same biome.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's this one that's in a castle with like time travel mechanics where I think at least the art will be up your alley, called Timespinner

This looks really cool! Will probably give it a shot once I beat Actraiser.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr.Acula posted:

*banging my joy-cons on the table*

You've got joycon drift now, sorry

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Waffle! posted:

The Mushroom Kingdom is an irradiated wasteland. Within it lies a city. Outside the boundary walls, the desert Sarasaland. A cursed earth. Inside the walls, a cursed city, stretching from Yoshi's Island to The Valley of Bowser. An unbroken Rainbow Road. 800 million Toads living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. Mega P-blocks. Mega Moonview Highways. Mega Donk City One. Convulsing. Choking. Breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the streets. The hammer. The Koopa. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: the men and women of Peach's Castle. Juries. Executioners. Marios.

It's a-me, the law

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

American McGay posted:

Castlevania Advance Collection.

This is the answer. Circle of the Moon Aria of Sorrow alone is probably the best Castlevania game in terms of raw gameplay, and the other two are remarkably solid and their issues can be smoothed out with the inbuilt rewind function.

CaC is a must buy for and MetroidVania fan.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 19, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

This is the answer. Circle of the Moon alone is probably the best Castlevania game in terms of raw gameplay, and the other two are remarkably solid and their issues can be smoothed out with the inbuilt rewind function.

CaC is a must buy for and MetroidVania fan.

circle of the moon would be good if it weren't for its terrible physics

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CotM controls like molasses while the follow-up Harmony of Dissonance has its flaws but at least has movement smooth as butter.

Mega64 posted:

I think there are plans to port VS to a better engine in the pipeline. Once that happens I expect we'll get a Switch port soon after.

Those plans were originally set for December of last year, but it got delayed because they wanted to make haste with the mobile ports because of copycats. I don't mean games like Vampire Survivors, just literal copies of the game uploaded by others.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

An Actual Princess posted:

circle of the moon would be good if it weren't for its terrible drop rates

corrected.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

It’s just the spiritual sequel to this Rockstar classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfKPpPoizA

oh my goooood I remember playing this in the schoolyard holy poo poo, I haven't thought about this in about 20 years

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

An Actual Princess posted:

circle of the moon would be good if it weren't for its terrible running

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's this one that's in a castle with like time travel mechanics where I think at least the art will be up your alley, called Timespinner

great game.
bloodstained sucks ojn switch

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I meant to say Aria of Sorrow. It has a moon in it, in my defence. It is a drat masterpiece.

HotM is fairly flawed.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

thanks for changing my quote to mean exactly the thing i already meant. Top tier.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

jackhunter64 posted:

It's a-me, the law

lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/status/1615902048859590656
https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/status/1615909835496886273

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

googling "buy drone strikes online" as we speak

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I hope this sick gently caress got arrested for this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s because 4 is just really bad in general. it’s insanely repetitive, horribly balanced, unpolished, and you have to play the game three times in order to fight all the robot masters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

An Xbox player trying too hard to be edgy, what a surprise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You have misread the situation

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

We must annihilate this gaijin immediately with missile launchers and gatling guns.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Admiral XBox over here doesn't like Nintendo World? Are you kidding me?

Hey, Major Microsoft - gently caress you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

An Xbox player trying too hard to be edgy, what a surprise.

Is it your username again, or do you actually not know who Rocco Botte is?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drat. Nintendo world lookin' legitimately awesome.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it your username again, or do you actually not know who Rocco Botte is?

Both. I'll kill myself before I give a gently caress who people on Twitter are.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Mister Facetious posted:

I am banning you from this thread until you learn your Gamer history. Kids like you make me sick. No appreciation for the heroes of yore. I'm going to throw up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i have no idea who rocko butte is

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

megasixtyaids

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i have no idea who rocko butte is

Outside of Quebec, it's called Buttrock

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

He's less a twitter person and more a Mega64 founder/fellow goon.

Also, holy christ this video was uploaded 16 years ago, and I think it itself is 19 years old :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgmCdt4EgxU

Anyway, bottom line, he's very much not actually the type of person who legitimately would rep MS at Nintendo world and think it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He's less a twitter person and more a Mega64 founder/fellow goon.

I haven't watched a mega 64 video since the original Assassin's Creed parody :shrug:
Unless they did the Mario Kart 8 one where Luigi goes around kicking everyone's rear end