Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is Wolfenstein 2 worth $12 during this sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol I started a Skyrim character, why do I play this game every three years

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

It's just a physically superior version of the Switch. A Nintendo Switch... but better.

...Damnit. That's exactly what I want.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stickman posted:

If anyone is thinking of upgrading an early model switch to an OLED, check your serial to see if it's hackable and unpatched. Low-serial unpatched + unbanned tablets typically ebay for $270-350 and would cover a significant chunk of the upgrade (assuming you wait to get an OLED at msrp).

Uhhhh....

....thank you?

...!!!!!!!!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I hadn't thought about the "flow" aspect of DS, but yeah. It does capture that timing aspect like an old platformer despite being ostensibly an open world.

gently caress. Now I'm gonna start playing again, I think I pyro'ed my way past the gargoyles last time before quitting again.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Martman posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or wat. From Amazon questions about the SN30 Pro+:

Like, what are you doing that is turning on your Switch with it? 'Cause they definitely aren't supposed to be able to.

I've also noticed that the Power-A wireless controller can wake the system from sleep and send the TV an HDMI signal to start up, but I don't think it was ever advertised to do that.

Do we have weird sleep settings that are, um, weird?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

After Banjo Kazooie I'll be good for 2022 anyway

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Devorum posted:

I'm in the market for a grip. I see Satisfye mentioned quite a lot in here, how do the Hori Splitpad and the Skull & Co Gripcase compare to it?

It would be for my OLED, so I guess the Satisfye would be a pre-order.

I tend to play tabletop more than handheld currently because they Joy-Cons made my hands go numb when I play handheld. I just bring my SN30 Pro 2 with me, but I'd like to be able to play handheld comfortably.

Please note that Skull and Co is updating their grip case (preorders ship this month) because the old model is too small by a millimeter or two and it makes the triggers, bumpers and volume/sleep buttons unusable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Augus posted:

ive tried reading books before but they did not provide enough extreme sensory duress for my liking.
does anybody know any books that just straight up give you a seizure?

Dan Simmons' The Abominable

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If you own a Switch and haven't bought Hades yet, you're behaving poorly and should deal with that forthwith

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frankston posted:

Is there a super easy mode for mario kart? Thinking of getting it for my 6yo but if she's just going to keep getting hit by blue shells and whatnot whenever she's in the lead I don't think she'd enjoy it.

There's auto-accelerate and auto-steer, also the items are not *quite* as unfair as they've been in past entries.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hi y'all I'm selling a launch-era fully-moddable Switch + accessories in the SA mart

Make me an offer!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987505&perpage=40&noseen=1

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

We got one dollar, can I hear two

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Weedle posted:

the switch version also requires an internet connection but i've never personally experienced any server trouble. the biggest problem is that the swing timing mechanic is busted on switch. i suspect this is due to the fact that the game was developed in unity, which as i understand it ties input polling to framerate, and the switch version seems to mostly run at about 25 fps, so it's not picking up your stick movement with enough precision to accurately track your swing speed. pretty much every swing ends up in one of three spots on the swing timing meter and none of them is ever in the sweet spot. i also own the game on ps4, where it runs at a solid 60fps and this problem doesn't exist. i really like the game otherwise and i still have fun with the switch version by just turning swing timing off and cranking swing difficulty to max, so it doesn't matter how fast i push the stick but i have to be very very precise with my angle. it's definitely a major point against the switch version though and i wouldn't recommend it unless you really really want to play handheld

That is an egregiously bad feature to have made it through development. What a disaster.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Weedle posted:

it sure is. i got the switch version first and something seemed off from minute 1 with the swing timing but i thought it was just the way it was, that it was supposed to be nearly impossible to hit a perfect shot and you were meant to compensate with your aim. i played it that way for quite a while before the ps4 version went on sale and i discovered how the game is actually supposed to play

To be fair, it does sound much more like actual golf. Your shot has a low probability of being good, and a high probability of going where-the-gently caress-ever

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

loving fine, I'll download Picross already.

I played it 30 years ago so new features scare me. Should I just start with S3?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

When you've finished all the picross s games, just erase your saves and start over, it's not like you're going to remember the solutions

Well now you've somehow turned me off the whole thing

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Pirate Captain posted:

That’s called the Tetris effect and it will 100% happen.

Speaking of that I finally got Tetris Effect and I never knew this is what I needed Tetris to be

Your button presses make the beats in the music! It's astonishing how good it sounds

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fuligin posted:

stand strong, fellow hades not-likers

No, get the Hell out. If you don't like Hades the problem is with you.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ok yup thing do

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol I finally caved and bought a Picross

In other news it is suddenly an hour later than it was

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I'll watch college football and try to finish Obra Dinn. Bought it several days ago and I've already got half the crew figured out, just gotta finish the rest.

After that I may do some more Loop Hero. I'd love to get into a longer game with a good story, or maybe I'll replay Hollow Knight or Phoenotopia Awakening. Who knows?

Initially read that as "bought college football" and I was about to shake you violently for an eshop link

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

forest spirit posted:

I'm getting extremely frustrated with my OLED switch... it's connected to the TV, and I've tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on my TV (2020 Sony x900h) and it WON'T consistently appear when turning the switch on.

I've tried the "power match" setting on the switch off and on. Right now it's a 2/10 chance that if you use the controller to wake the switch (and TV) that the switch will appear on the screen.

I have to turn the TV on with it because even with the switch on, in the dock, if I switch to its input, I still get nothing.

I'm going crazy here and it's actually incredibly frustrating. Am I an idiot? I hope I am. I am using the OLED dock that came with it and this is my first switch. I've checked all of my TV's video and power settings for something and nothing has had an effect.

Anyone else have this happen?

Try this. I know it will sound crazy.

When you slot the switch into the dock, HOLD IT DOWN ONTO THE SOCKET GENTLY BUT FIRMLY FOR A FEW SECONDS

this always fixes the problem for me, which has persisted now across two Switches and their respective docks.

I don't know what the gently caress it means.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

How did this post end up in a wormhole from 2008

Gyro controls are the only way to play shooters

I still haven't learned, even though I know in my heart you must be right.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just started Picross S6, I love it, this is my first Picross

But this loving puzzle makes me feel stupid. I'm not even going to post which one it is. I can't figure out how to even place my first fill.

:bang:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's just all these loving ones

I hate doing trial and error and starting over if I reach a contradiction. There has to be a way to make the right move from scratch, like sudoku.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vegastar posted:

You might want to play through with the option that highlights solvable rows/columns on at minimum for a little while until you get the hang of it. There’s a lot of weird tricks you eventually pick up, but a little handholding to draw your attention to the rows you should be able to solve will probably help a lot.

I refuse to not get No Assist

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I finally got it (it's #14, the ocarina), and now I'm so mad I gotta cool off.

Edit: okay maybe just one more

mdemone fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 15, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's weird how this is exactly the way I do it, and is likely how all other Picross players do it yet the method always at least feels just my own.

Maybe because I initially logic'd that method out on my own? :shrug:

Yeah this is very similar to the logic trees in sudoku, which is something I'm very familiar with, so it's scratching that same itch.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, same. 10x10 and you've got a line of a single 6? I know I have to assume 4 blanks on each side, but everything else is guaranteed.

I literally don't know how else to logic that out.

Middle two are fills. No possible string of 6 fits in 10x10 otherwise. Then look up and down from there

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

repiv posted:

I'm pretty sure Jupiter's puzzles are designed to be solvable without ever guessing, so a solver should be able to work through them sequentially without backtracking if it knows all the tricks

I only played S1 but IIRC guessing is never required in that one

I'm pretty sure (but I just started today), because I'm very familiar with these kind of algorithmic games, that all of them must necessarily be solvable by logic trees alone, otherwise they couldn't have been produced by the game...producer.

Now, it may well be that the trees aren't easily grasped in the most difficult cases, but I still haven't seen one that doesn't conform to this type.

Very similar to sudoku, in the way it is created - reduced - mapped.

Edit: I'm saying that I agree with you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The best example I can give is the following:

Any sudoku, now fill in "pencil possibilities". Search all column/row intersections for uniques. Iterate until solved.

All these puzzles must be created by reversing these steps without getting to a point where degenerate solutions exist.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nobody told me that Katamari Damacy, in addition to being fun and stupid and addictive, is also frustrating as all hell

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I can't even get past Make a Star 4 and it's making me feel inadequate as a person

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of cases, what's a good one? I'm thinking this looks decent for $20 but is there a better option for an inexpensive case?

https://www.amazon.ca/Protector-iVo...ps%2C107&sr=8-6

Edit: don't tell me to support the g-case. That thing is... silly.

Skull & Co Grip Case, still the best

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have been fully picross pilled. Ty everyone for talking about it constantly

Yeah I spent like six hours playing it my first day. Then I had to take a couple days off because my brain kept doing the thing even when I didn't want it to

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

antidote posted:

Planescape Torment plays very nicely

Wait it's on the Switch...?

lunges for Switch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah I had to get PT at that price. I've never played it but always wanted to

....what's the best build?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

banjo kazooie is better than mario 64

the people were astonished at his doctrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Friends, do not become addicted to Picross. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

mdemone fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 26, 2022