Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kaubocks posted:

what if i hate star fox 64, and the switch

*being held back by several other nerds, crying,* wh-what the gently caress did yOU... YOU Just SAY?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mega64 posted:

I did a bad job as thread IK so the admins punished me by promoting me to a Games mod.

If you have any feedback on how you want this thread post it in the Games Feedback thread and I'll try my best to keep things chill. I'll probably do an effort post there later so as not to derail chat about sweet Switch games.

something somenthing pedopihlia

(congrats)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Walla posted:

I really just want to play some fun games that aren't 100 hour RPGs.

Hollow Knight! Hollow Knight! HOLLOW KNIGHT

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

once ecne tmore

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Imagine I posted that comic where the guy is "maybe society not so great" and then the other guy is like "but YOU society, hmm!!!" in response to all of the people saying "well, you don't have to buy both versions" as though that means something.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I seriously cannot comprehend why people are wasting time and energy defending this,

People want to make sure they have enough bootlicking on their resume for when the Zuck Gundams descend on humanity to quell all of the filthy commies

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

KingSlime posted:

Alternatively people arent "defending"

"I'm not licking the boot, really, it's just that the boot and my tongue happen to, like, occupy the same space, at this particular time,"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

KingSlime posted:

I don't play Pokemon games I think they suck and haven't given the pokemon company a penny in decades but sure go off with the personal attacks

Maybe you need a break from videogames if you're so invested that you feel the need to post like this

Angrily mashing the edit button and adding yet another thing to my post about how it's embarrassing that someone cares this much

MechaX posted:

Even though it’s a good one for Game Freak/Nintendo specifically, it’s still been a hustle tactic since 1996 lol

I mean yeah but I hadn't read the manifesto when I was six, you know?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Andrast posted:

no i was too busy telling people that Bulbasaur is the coolest starter

:hmmyes:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

KingSlime posted:

Buddy I'm chilling at meeting

Yeah dude we get it, we're all very impressed about how little you care about the thing that you keep posting about,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm honestly asking, why does the board game part of Mario Party exist at all if it's just chaos and nothing matters and anybody's points can go to anybody else at any time because gently caress you?

I'm struggling to think of a board game that doesn't work this way, to be honest.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

postin

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Steam Dick.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

repiv posted:

the pro+ has the start/select buttons bizarrely off-center

That's because it's based on the SNES controller.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Not only is Sunshine the worst 3D Mario, I don't even think it's any good at all.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Willo567 posted:

I am noticing a disturbing lack of Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures

Yeah! What the gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

b_d posted:

ive seen this comic several times and maybe im dumb (im definitely dumb) but i don't understand it. why is gabon so happy at the end. because cia hosed everything up? and he likes that cuz he's evil? or it's a way to mess with the jackasses? who's the other guy in the first panel? why is the cia sequence colored like a flashback. did it happen before the first panel? that doesn't make sense.

thanks.

Ganondorf is happy at the end because astral-project-telling Cia to go for Link caused a chain of events that ended with him being resurrected, which gives him the chance to gently caress with Link and Zelda again. The other guy in the first panel is The Commander, the main character of that particular comic, who is out drinking with Ganondorf. The Cia sequence is coloured that way because Ganondorf does not have a living body at that point and Cia is some kind of witch or whatever.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I get lost in the Water Temple pretty easy but my actual problem with it is that I hate having to pause, flip over to inventory screen, move cursor to Iron Boots, press A, unpause, walk for ten seconds, pause, flip over to inventory screen, move cursor to Iron Boots, press A, unpause, repeat for A Long Time.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

How dare they not bring back Kamek.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Rutibex posted:

You don't need to port every single game, once you get the emulator running they all work.

Most emulators have significant amounts of game-specific quick-fixes running under the hood that have accrued over literal decades of development and troubleshooting, and a non-zero amount of these fixes can be undone with even the smallest changes made for the sake of other architecture.

And even then, you're overstating how well all emulators can run their entire related libraries - even as recently as last week, I discovered that it's still basically not possible to emulate Donkey Kong 64 without myriad problems.

This whole process is generally not as easy as people make it out to be. Also even beyond the technical hurdles there's all the copyright stuff.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Len posted:

Man I don't like how Danganronpa

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

The announcer read "Met-" from the card and someone in the audience immediately screamed and it was me. I screamed

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

American McGay posted:

about 15 hours too long, and a lot of that time is spent walking back and forth through long narrow corridors.

But enough about JRPGs,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Takoluka posted:

The problem I've encountered is that all the good people and veterans raced to the finish, considered the game meh due to the lack of monsters, and are now waiting for that expansion.

To be fair, I didn't expect to be done the game at 80 hours. The previous two Monster Hunter games, I'd gotten 200 hours in and still not accomplished everything I wanted to do, and eventually considered my time with them done at about 500 hours each. And that was before I was expected to pay for an expansion.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that Capcom pulled this one outta the oven too early.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'll bite: what are you referring to by bolding the word "pay"?

Monster Hunter Rise has a paid expansion releasing in 2022. World had a paid expansion, but I'd already played World for 500 hours before the expansion released, so I was fine with buying more content. 3U, 4U and GU were expanded editions, but 3U was an updated game on a new, higher fidelity console, and 4U and GU (for the Switch) were the only editions I could actually buy in North America, so I don't consider those to be a problem.

In Rise's case, the story is unfinished, there's a relatively scarcity of content for the series, and they've suddenly stopped having cool new event quests that add new fun things for you to unlock, and instead have "here's an event quest that unlocks a sticker that you'll never look at. By the way, did you know there's paid DLC you can purchase right now?"

As a longtime fan, definitely feels like they pushed it out with significantly less than the fans are used to in hopes that the fans will pay extra money for more later. Which, like, I will, because it's Monster Hunter, but it still leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I guess it's personal preference but I spent about 200 hours in GenU and never really beat it. I also didn't have a ton of fun with it, ultimately, because there was so much filler and annoying design choices.

Rise, on the other hand, is so streamlined and fun that I've *only* put in about 70 hours but loved all of it.

The value of a game is not in the total hours spent.
If that's your metric then I have a mountain of early JRPGs I'd like to sell you.

I mean, sure, there are some tutorials and egg quests, but probably close to 95% of my playtime in previous MH games is spent doing things that I greatly enjoy doing.

Rise has fantastic improvements to the overall mechanical structure of the game and significantly buffs several of the weapons in really good and satisfying ways - it is by no means a bad game. I just resent several of the ways that they also walked things back, and I don't like feeling nickel and dimed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

In what way have you been nickel-and-dimed by Rise?
There's the base games, the free events and a paid expansion.
As far as I know you can't pay money for anything else.

A significant chunk of the paid DLC is layered armor for yourself and your pets, which in previous games tended to be free content that came with fun event quests. Now the event quests are often indistinguishable from normal quests and just get you A Sticker - the core loop of "kill monster, make new hat out of monster, fight new monster" loses its charm when you take out the part with the hat. Also it seems like most of the story basically wasn't in the main game, and a few of the new large monsters are locked until close to the end (Rakna-Kadaki, the monster I was most excited for, isn't available in any quests until something like HR7 for some reason).

I don't like paid additions to a game that is widely considered to be lacking in content by fans, I don't see what's complex about that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Golf is an elitist sport that harms the environment and sucks rear end. Golf video games, however, are all good-to-great and should be cherished.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

KingSlime posted:

I thought Undertale was cool and I really liked the bullet hell turn based battle system hybrid, makes me wonder why more turn-based RPGs don't get playful like this and blend in other genres

RPG fans don't like fun, that's why they're RPG fans

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I, for one, find it hard to believe that people from Quebec of all places would believe in harmful neocon rhetoric.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Cool Dad posted:

I just bought a switch for the first time. I got Breath of the Wild which seems obligatory, and I bought 100 dollars of estore credit. What should I buy now? What are the best things on Switch? I bought Battle Brothers because I wanted a strategy game and it's on sale and I've heard it's good.

Hollow Knight and/or Metroid Dread

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Thunder Bear posted:

Sometimes I'm genuinely curious how some of you go through games so quickly.

I have no meaningful relationships or life prospects

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Procrastine posted:

I like roguelikes, Hades imo is not a great roguelike. The presentation is good but the actual gameplay didn't feel great to me? I wasn't really feeling the story either but I'm in the minority in this one so what do I know.

It's the opposite; Hades is the only good roguelike

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

RC Cola posted:

I hated breath of the wild. I 100% it and hated 90% of the time.

Aliens are gonna come down to the ruined post-human husk of this planet, find this post and glance at each other with a knowing look

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So, in the opinion of the thread, Metroid Dread is as good as Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey?

It sets a new standard for the series while also respecting a lot of what made the previous entries good, so I'd say so, yeah.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Your Computer posted:

don't wanna rock the boat here but i'm gonna say it

the switch? good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

A goon's favorite Zelda is the last one they played before they got depression.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Link's Awakening is great and I love both versions but there is just something about it that attracts the most tedious possible people to declare it their favorite.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I should play A Short Hike again before I seriously melt down.

Did this earlier for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Gyro aiming is good in first person shooters but Metroid Prime isn't a first person shooter and doesn't need it.