Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Takoluka posted:

The problem I've encountered is that all the good people and veterans raced to the finish, considered the game meh due to the lack of monsters, and are now waiting for that expansion. You could probably get hunter buddies in dedicated Discord servers, but it feels like everyone I know moved on.

Huh, weird. Maybe I'm weird but fighting the same monsters over and over is isn't a big deal because it's always a little different.

Granted, I'm only HR 7 and I guess not done with the story yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

How is Golf Story?

it's good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Takoluka posted:

The problem I've encountered is that all the good people and veterans raced to the finish, considered the game meh due to the lack of monsters, and are now waiting for that expansion.

To be fair, I didn't expect to be done the game at 80 hours. The previous two Monster Hunter games, I'd gotten 200 hours in and still not accomplished everything I wanted to do, and eventually considered my time with them done at about 500 hours each. And that was before I was expected to pay for an expansion.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that Capcom pulled this one outta the oven too early.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bleck posted:

To be fair, I didn't expect to be done the game at 80 hours. The previous two Monster Hunter games, I'd gotten 200 hours in and still not accomplished everything I wanted to do, and eventually considered my time with them done at about 500 hours each. And that was before I was expected to pay for an expansion.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that Capcom pulled this one outta the oven too early.

I'll bite: what are you referring to by bolding the word "pay"?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That they got 500 hours out of the game in free expansion stuff before the real one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the question really is how much of that 200 hours you spent on the annoying time wasting kruff that was in all mon hun games before rise

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Google Butt posted:

How is Golf Story?

extremely average game that got hyped because there wasn't much good on the switch when it was first released

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Before MHW the way it worked is they would just release the expansion content as a new game. If you played GU and thought it had a ton of content thats because its MH Generations + stuff added for the Ultimate release. You have always had to pay for the expansion content

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

extremely average game that got hyped because there wasn't much good on the switch when it was first released

Nah it’s charming and very cool and good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is nothing “cool” about Golf, lmao

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bust Rodd posted:

jesus christ

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'll bite: what are you referring to by bolding the word "pay"?

Monster Hunter Rise has a paid expansion releasing in 2022. World had a paid expansion, but I'd already played World for 500 hours before the expansion released, so I was fine with buying more content. 3U, 4U and GU were expanded editions, but 3U was an updated game on a new, higher fidelity console, and 4U and GU (for the Switch) were the only editions I could actually buy in North America, so I don't consider those to be a problem.

In Rise's case, the story is unfinished, there's a relatively scarcity of content for the series, and they've suddenly stopped having cool new event quests that add new fun things for you to unlock, and instead have "here's an event quest that unlocks a sticker that you'll never look at. By the way, did you know there's paid DLC you can purchase right now?"

As a longtime fan, definitely feels like they pushed it out with significantly less than the fans are used to in hopes that the fans will pay extra money for more later. Which, like, I will, because it's Monster Hunter, but it still leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Rise (without expansion) is currently a better game than World (without expansion) ever was.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Random question: looking to throw a couple Nintendo gift cards at a friend's kids, but I am realizing I have no clue what's an actual useful amount. Is $20 actually useful, or is that just going to be committing the kids to paying for the other half of whatever they want to get? If $20 is just annoying, is $35 actually less so?

Also, just to clarify, these "Nintendo eShop Gift Card [Digital Code]" from Amazon are the right thing for this, yeah?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Bust Rodd

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

For those keeping score at home, this means that golf is the coolest thing ever. If you do like golf games Golf Story is a lot of fun, but its time as the go to indie game on Switch ended years ago.

I finished my first play through of Metroid Dread over the weekend, if not for the EMMI’s I think it would be my favorite Metroid game ever. The EMMI stuff was fun and intense at first, but eventually dealing with them felt almost like a chore. Still easily my favorite game of the year though, I think I’m about to dive into a Hard mode run.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Frankston posted:

guys what is the chillest game of all time. I'm talking, so chill that my switch will freeze over and I'll be forced to go outside.
Dr. Mario with Chill BGM.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I guess it's personal preference but I spent about 200 hours in GenU and never really beat it. I also didn't have a ton of fun with it, ultimately, because there was so much filler and annoying design choices.

Rise, on the other hand, is so streamlined and fun that I've *only* put in about 70 hours but loved all of it.

The value of a game is not in the total hours spent.
If that's your metric then I have a mountain of early JRPGs I'd like to sell you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Random question: looking to throw a couple Nintendo gift cards at a friend's kids, but I am realizing I have no clue what's an actual useful amount. Is $20 actually useful, or is that just going to be committing the kids to paying for the other half of whatever they want to get? If $20 is just annoying, is $35 actually less so?

Also, just to clarify, these "Nintendo eShop Gift Card [Digital Code]" from Amazon are the right thing for this, yeah?

$35 is more than enough to buy a good eShop game if they wait for a sale, and there is a new sale every day. Its not enough money for a Nintendo™ game (they never go on sale) but there are plenty of other games in the price range.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bad Munki posted:

$20 is enough for a big DLC.

New Nintendo games are $60.

$35 is enough for a good game that is also on sale.

Consider simply coordinating with his parents to find out what games the kid likes and maybe just buy that game on sale, instead of trying to thread the needle with an arbitrary amount of money on a gift card.

But if the kid is already really into, like, Zelda or Mario Kart, then $20 would be enough to buy the DLC pass, which would be a good value.

You’re a cool uncle/friend of parents

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I guess it's personal preference but I spent about 200 hours in GenU and never really beat it. I also didn't have a ton of fun with it, ultimately, because there was so much filler and annoying design choices.

Rise, on the other hand, is so streamlined and fun that I've *only* put in about 70 hours but loved all of it.

The value of a game is not in the total hours spent.
If that's your metric then I have a mountain of early JRPGs I'd like to sell you.

I mean, sure, there are some tutorials and egg quests, but probably close to 95% of my playtime in previous MH games is spent doing things that I greatly enjoy doing.

Rise has fantastic improvements to the overall mechanical structure of the game and significantly buffs several of the weapons in really good and satisfying ways - it is by no means a bad game. I just resent several of the ways that they also walked things back, and I don't like feeling nickel and dimed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bleck posted:

I mean, sure, there are some tutorials and egg quests, but probably close to 95% of my playtime in previous MH games is spent doing things that I greatly enjoy doing.

Rise has fantastic improvements to the overall mechanical structure of the game and significantly buffs several of the weapons in really good and satisfying ways - it is by no means a bad game. I just resent several of the ways that they also walked things back, and I don't like feeling nickel and dimed.

In what way have you been nickel-and-dimed by Rise?
There's the base games, the free events and a paid expansion.
As far as I know you can't pay money for anything else.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm being metaphorically nickel and dimed!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

In what way have you been nickel-and-dimed by Rise?
There's the base games, the free events and a paid expansion.
As far as I know you can't pay money for anything else.

A significant chunk of the paid DLC is layered armor for yourself and your pets, which in previous games tended to be free content that came with fun event quests. Now the event quests are often indistinguishable from normal quests and just get you A Sticker - the core loop of "kill monster, make new hat out of monster, fight new monster" loses its charm when you take out the part with the hat. Also it seems like most of the story basically wasn't in the main game, and a few of the new large monsters are locked until close to the end (Rakna-Kadaki, the monster I was most excited for, isn't available in any quests until something like HR7 for some reason).

I don't like paid additions to a game that is widely considered to be lacking in content by fans, I don't see what's complex about that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Starting to think this series consisting of 500 hour entries full of repetitive resource grinding doesn’t respect my time…

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
golf is incredibly lame but video games and mechanics involving it usually tend to be fun regardless

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Golf is an elitist sport that harms the environment and sucks rear end. Golf video games, however, are all good-to-great and should be cherished.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I keep thinking of getting Super Rush but the actual golf looks kind of lame compared to something like Everybody's Golf. IDK what the last mario sports game i really enjoyed was.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I keep thinking of getting Super Rush but the actual golf looks kind of lame compared to something like Everybody's Golf. IDK what the last mario sports game i really enjoyed was.

3DS Mario Golf completely sucked me in. Especially the goon tournaments. Switch Mario Golf unfortunately didn't have the same effect. Granted, my tastes and gaming schedule have changed a bit since 2014. Still a good game though. My kids are enjoying the new characters and courses a lot.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Bleck posted:

A significant chunk of the paid DLC is layered armor for yourself and your pets, which in previous games tended to be free content that came with fun event quests. Now the event quests are often indistinguishable from normal quests and just get you A Sticker - the core loop of "kill monster, make new hat out of monster, fight new monster" loses its charm when you take out the part with the hat.

The microtransaction dlc is lame but that started with World, not Rise.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Snake Maze posted:

The microtransaction dlc is lame but that started with World, not Rise.

I'll be honest, I didn't even realize there was a bunch of cosmetic DLC with Rise as I don't frequent the eShop or Nintendo.com pages of games I already own, though I was aware of the upcoming expansion. It's definitely less in your face with DLC than games on Steam generally are.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I prefer how Steam does it, it makes the entire thing transparent and out in the open. You can't get this sort of breakdown of all of the DLC and micro-transactions on a game on any other platform.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Excuse me? Golf in winter is very cool. :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MH Rise is the best entry in the series and its one problem is that it doesn't have every old monster. At the same time, gently caress Plesioth.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
I love all the Monster Hunter games, Gen U remains my fave but Rise is *mwah* fantastic. World is OK.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I replayed golf story a few months ago, it's still good

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sports Story when?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that depending on where your friend lives the eShop may charge tax on purchases. That might make a "$19.99" game actually cost $21.49 or something like that. That would make a $35 card actually pretty useful since kids could purchase up to a $30 game without having to worry about tax issues.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Neo Turf Masters is great for some golf on the go. That Germany course music :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Mario golf is an insanely fun irl game but I fell off it a lot. Not enough to trade it in mind you. It's basically taken the place of Mario kart for winddown after board game night