Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I haven’t played game besides emulated 2D console and phone stuff for about a decade. I picked up a powkiddy rgb30 to play nes and gameboy games recently though, and when I was talking to a coworker about how I was playing the original legend of Zelda he insisted I should try Breath of the Wild.

After beating nes Zelda, more or less on a whim I picked up an oled switch and botw. The last 3D “open world” games I played were Morrowind, Vice City, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, all back when they were relatively recent releases, so I’m sure that my not keeping up with AAA games and the console wars has kept me naive of how immersive and huge games these days can be, but holy poo poo this one is gorgeous and just has so much to do. The loop of forage/cook/gear up/explore/fight/solve puzzle/repeat is so satisfying. And it’s all so well-modeled and consistent, even if the world has kind of a dream logic to it, it’s comprehensible and interactive.

I set my alarm for 4AM the other morning so I could get a couple of hours in before the rest of my family woke up.

So I guess, uh, I’m just saying that breath of the wild by default is my game of the decade? I’m not even sure I even want to ask for other Switch game recommendations. Probably will just try to eventually wrap up Zelda and keep the hardware until my kid is old enough to play Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

Over the decades I made it 80% of the way through LoZ: Link's Awakening on several occasions, whether it be actual hardware, GBA, or emulators.
And now finally I'm playing the Switch remake and I might actually complete this game. The tweaks to the art direction are very charming. It's hard to be ponderously grimdark (Twilight Princess) when everyone looks like they're made of matte plastic.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - the 2D sections in the dungeons have the bones of a good follow up to Zelda 2. Like if they made an entire dungeon out of those 2D sections and had you that would be perfect.
I haven't played any of the Oracle games and there's probably some Shantae game that gives me everything I asked for but, I like the Link to the Past world.

I beat this on the gameboy back in the day and I bought this remake too but no thanks. Too much slowdown. Looks nice but the original DX version just feels like its gameplay syncs up with the graphics better.

I blew even more money recently on totk. Would’ve just played more botw after finishing the main quest but my Hero’s Journey route map is right at 200 hours and I want to keep it as a full record of my experience, including the multiple deaths over and over in the first few hours.

But as for totk, I got out of the tutorial area and progressed the main quest from lookout landing and did the first quest from there in the depths. Now its looking like I should go northwest to the rito/ hebra area, but I’ve still got one empty space on my rune wheel (have Hand, Fuse, Rewind, Ascend, camera and amiibo but there’s still one more)

I got turned around chasing a star fragment immediately after diving off the first sky area. No guide. Did I miss something? Would I be poorly served by loving off to the southeast instead of going straight to rito village? I want to see what’s up hateno and lurelin.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The final rune is located in the Depths roughly under the Temple of Time on the Great Plateau. It’s entirely optional but will make exploring easier, especially in the Depths

Also you should definitely at least head towards Hebra until you find Hestu for obvious reasons, and there’s another main quest to unlock along that path although it’s very close to Lookout Landing

Awesome, thanks.