Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

we have a chat channel going on discord to swap hints, tricks, and such for solving this year's "no nut november" puzzles, being careful to use spoiler tags for anything that is too much of a giveaway. as always, let me know if you'd like access to the discord! but I think it's also a good idea to have a thread here where people can do the same. those who want to avoid spoilers can be extra sure not to have anything spoiled by not reading the thread.

still, even in this thread, please be courteous and use spoiler tags for anything that simply states the solution or gives a big hint!

e: here's a link to last year's main thread for context

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948371

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

regarding the first soarsquare puzzle, biosterous gave the following somewhat oblique hint:

summon your inner journalist, and investigate the who-what-where-when-why-how of the popup. it's always good to get a quote right from the source if you can

I followed up with a somewhat more direct hint:

maybe something happened at that date and time but not on soarsquare

cruft

Oh, so I need to not be using the mobile app.

cruft

Manifisto posted:

regarding the first soarsquare puzzle, biosterous gave the following somewhat oblique hint:

summon your inner journalist, and investigate the who-what-where-when-why-how of the popup. it's always good to get a quote right from the source if you can

This was a good hint.

FutonForensic

Hmm shouldn't I be seeing something here:

biosterous

FutonForensic posted:

Hmm shouldn't I be seeing something here:

there is a place that is incredibly similar to BYOB, and shares its name and colour with BYOB, but has a lot fewer people posting in it, and all the threads are really really good

the stuff thing you're looking for is in a thread that got goldmined

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

Here's how I found it:

OP gets a popup that they've checked in as king of BYOB on a certain date. So, what was OP doing on that date and time? You can't answer this question with the mobile app.

Escape From Noise

I want to try but I can never figure things out without being basically given the answer.

Manifisto

Escape From Noise posted:

I want to try but I can never figure things out without being basically given the answer.

have you solved the first puzzle?

ty nesamdoom!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
something about the site is tripping my firewalls phishing defense feature and I don't remember exactly how to override it, so i'll just chill on the sidelines for this one. good luck fellow nut busters!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

have you solved the first puzzle?

Not yet but I think it'll involve time zone math which sounds like I can't even

biosterous

to paraphrase the bible a bit to make a dumb oblique hint, 釘ut about that day or hour no one knows, not even the lurkers in the yob, nor the posters, but only the pecan."

the bible doesn't say anything about minutes, so those are knowable

less oblique: if you're searching in the right place, there is only one post with the same minute timestamp as the hint that led you there (which is frankly some excellent puzzle design)

gallery of sigs

he/him

knut

magic cactus posted:

something about the site is tripping my firewalls phishing defense feature and I don't remember exactly how to override it, so i'll just chill on the sidelines for this one. good luck fellow nut busters!

I was able to create an email address on Terry's server. Email knut(a)thenuthatchery.biz and I can try to help you access it.

Ass-penny

biosterous posted:

to paraphrase the bible a bit to make a dumb oblique hint, 釘ut about that day or hour no one knows, not even the lurkers in the yob, nor the posters, but only the pecan."

the bible doesn't say anything about minutes, so those are knowable

less oblique: if you're searching in the right place, there is only one post with the same minute timestamp as the hint that led you there (which is frankly some excellent puzzle design)

You can search by timestamp? I really only got this feature recently and haven't really figured it out yet. getting the feeling these puzzles are also going to be beyond me.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
i知 sorry, i知 not trying to be rude, but i have absolutely no idea what is going on in this thread and would like to know if this is an ARG or something?

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
Ass-penny

Percy Teatwillow posted:

i知 sorry, i知 not trying to be rude, but i have absolutely no idea what is going on in this thread and would like to know if this is an ARG or something?

peep Terry Harri's thread in the stickies.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Percy Teatwillow posted:

i’m sorry, i’m not trying to be rude, but i have absolutely no idea what is going on in this thread and would like to know if this is an ARG or something?

:yossame: :(

Manifisto

I have included a link in the op that will hopefully clarify what we're talking about!

ty nesamdoom!

more falafel please

forums poster

Percy Teatwillow posted:

last year, beloved forums poster nut was banned, because it's no nut november. some guy Terry started talking about nuthatches on a website or whatever and we worked with a mysterious new forums poster knut to save nut from the clutches of a website, mostly by clicking "view source" on stuff. this year nut has also mysteriously disappeared and right on cue Terry's back talking about business opportunities??? I hope nut isn't involved in a pyramid scheme, my cousin is still trying to get out of one of those

yeah it's a kinda ARG fun puzzle game thing! it was a lot of fun last year and the folks who made it clearly put a lot of work in, this year's seems very promising as well

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

I do think it's really cool and neat to watch. I was able to figure out the first puzzle or two last year but quickly got completely lost. Looks like this year I'll just watch because I'm already beyond confused. Trying to calculate timezones and stuff is just doin my head in. I'm dumb

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

biosterous

rear end-penny posted:

You can search by timestamp? I really only got this feature recently and haven't really figured it out yet. getting the feeling these puzzles are also going to be beyond me.

idk about using the forum search for timestamps, but you can find a place where the right stuff might be and then ctrl-f for the correct thing and there is only one result

although come to think there's a couple methods/places to find the right stuff so uh here's what i mean without fully giving anything away

if you're searching all of someone's posts (like with the forum search feature), you might have to check a few pages before you find the right thing. if instead you're just looking in the correct thread, you'll probably have to check several pages. if you've filtered that specific thread to only show that specific person's posts, by clicking the question mark button on the bottom left of their post, then you should be able to find what you're looking for on the first page

gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

Ohhhhh! I don't have archives so nvm

biosterous

goldmined threads are always available for all to see :yayclod:

gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

Yeah but I can't search by date

Manifisto

Escape From Noise posted:

Ohhhhh! I don't have archives so nvm

it should be possible, though a bit less convenient, to solve this without plat or archives.

showing only posts by a given user in a given thread is simply a matter of editing the url, find out the poster's id number and change the "userid=0" to be that number

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

pssh, who cares about dates or hours? with the right ctrl-f search it should only take a few minutes

gallery of sigs

he/him

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I for one am a ma ster at busting no big nut. It's more like a single flax seed tbh. burns like hell when it comes out

Escape From Noise

I'm probaly looking in the wrong thread. I dunno. Also sorta confused because I'm like 15+ hours ahead

Escape From Noise

Sorry. I do think this is cool. I should stop complaining about it.

Twenty Four

Percy Teatwillow posted:

more falafel please posted:

last year, beloved forums poster nut was banned, because it's no nut november. some guy Terry started talking about nuthatches on a website or whatever and we worked with a mysterious new forums poster knut to save nut from the clutches of a website, mostly by clicking "view source" on stuff. this year nut has also mysteriously disappeared and right on cue Terry's back talking about business opportunities??? I hope nut isn't involved in a pyramid scheme, my cousin is still trying to get out of one of those

yeah it's a kinda ARG fun puzzle game thing! it was a lot of fun last year and the folks who made it clearly put a lot of work in, this year's seems very promising as well

I remember the thread but I didn't realize it was going to be something cool so I dismissed it and by the time I realized it was something cool it was too late.

It wouldn't be the first or last time I didn't know what was going on in a thread.

I can't promise much better this year :(

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

y'all better bring back nut they are a valued and respected fake coach in the fake football league tia

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Manifisto

Twenty Four posted:

I can't promise much better this year :(

fortunately there is plenty of time to catch up!

ty nesamdoom!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Ok I got 1 and 3 fine but I am apparently utterly useless at day 2

How do I walked street?

Manifisto

NumptyScrub posted:

Ok I got 1 and 3 fine but I am apparently utterly useless at day 2

How do I walked street?

part of the trick is figuring out which phrases are instructions - some of the instructions are kinda implicit

if there's any bit in particular that is giving you trouble feel free to post about it

ty nesamdoom!

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
I guess my main confusion is the "walk south until you can't any more". Hanging right at Matchbox tattoo takes me to Elm Grove Avenue, continuing south "until I can't any more" either means King St W, or carrying on until I hit the apartment complex just south of there (since you can technically walk right over the grass / parking lot). Neither of those appears to fit with the rest of the instructions though

You're right in that I think I am missing something that should be obvious, but it isn't to me :thunk:

Edit: I may just be in completely the wrong place lol

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 5, 2021

Manifisto

you are on the right track

real spoiler: "If you aren't sure where to turn just remember to be kind, unwind" is an instruction even though it doesn't look like it

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

NumptyScrub posted:

either means King St W, or carrying on until I hit the apartment complex just south of there (since you can technically walk right over the grass / parking lot).

keep off the grass

gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

not a spoiler just a tip: it seems that the passwords are not case sensitive (i just tried #3 with aLtErNaTiNg CaPiTaLs and it worked fine), so don't worry about that in case you were!

gallery of sigs

he/him