Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I was going to make this comment during my final thoughts on this game, but since the topic has come up I'll add my two cents.

One of the things that stuck out to me is that it felt like a majority of the meaningful decisions in the story come down to 'get closer to/interact with Miharu' or 'not' (with 'not' ultimately resulting in a Bad End in every case). If the story had been obviously a romance story with mutual interest from the beginning this might not be so bad, but Rinka's neutronium-level density meant that it felt like the story was leading a sheep into the jaws of a wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Leraika posted:

But then again, it kind of touches on a conversation I've been having with myself lately about LGBTQ+ media and how much I expect of it - are the sort of thoughts I'm having about this story and the comparisons I'm drawing fair? Would I be making the same complaints if Rinka were male and this was a straight romance? Am I leaning too hard into my impression of the game as something that's condoning and justifying Miharu's behavior because I'm once bitten, twice shy? Am I demanding uncharacteristically good behavior out of someone who's been through everything Miharu has, or ideal behavior in addressing it in everyone surrounding her? I don't really have any easy answers to those questions.

So funnily enough, part of the reason I've been rather hostile to Miharu is I'm seeing a lot of the same patterns and behaviors that my abusive uncle used to keep my aunt from leaving him. That's probably heavily coloring my judgment (especially since she just passed last month), but I despite any sort of manipulation like this - it feels like Miharu refuses to give Rinka any volition of her own in a very significant decision, which is something you (might) do to a child, but not a partner. I think that applies for all partnerships, regardless of the orientation of the partners.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Silence

07/14 (SAT), Morning
Mmm... Morning already...?

I drag myself out of bed and stretch. I'm opening up the store for the first time in a while today. There are a lot of preparations to make, so the store's only going to be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Once ready to face the day, I make my way downstairs.

…...

BGM: Lion House Cafe

07/14 (SAT), Evening
Phew...

I sit down for a breather after the day's work is done. Shifting back into work mode is a pretty exhausting process after spending so many days with my head in the books. At least working here really is fun. Plenty of regulars stop in since it's Saturday, too. It isn't busy in the afternoon thanks to the limited food menu, but it gets pretty packed toward the evening. Easily the busiest day since I first took over the store.

The door chime rings while I'm relaxing. It's a customer I'm oh-so-familiar with.

Oh, have you closed for the day?

Hey, come on in. No need to worry about store hours when you're a friend.

S-Sorry...

I have Naomi take a seat at our usual table and then head into the kitchen to brew us up some coffee. Once it's ready, I sit down with her.

Here you go. On the house.

Th-Thank you. You seem awfully cheery today.

You think? Guess it's because finals are over and I got to open the store back up.

U-Umm... I brought cookies today, if you'd like some.

Thanks. I really like your cookies.

I can tell they're the same ones that she brought once before. The bag's tied shut with a nice red ribbon. My favorite color. We spend some time chatting while enjoying both our offerings.

Do you... mind if I asked what happened after we left last night?

I explain what took place once Miharu and I were alone. Well, everything sans what Miharu shared about her past. I skip to the part where she asked for my answer to her confession, and that I couldn't give her one just yet. Naomi acts strangely relieved over it. Probably because I mentioned that Miharu came to the decision to survive as well.

Have you finished reading that diary yet?

Nope. Been too busy with finals. Chances are I'll finish it tonight, though.

Okay. Do you mind if I stop by tomorrow after closing time? I'll bring Miharu, too.

Sounds fine. It's worth discussing, even if there's ultimately no valuable info in it. Not every day you get to read about the daily life of someone from a whole century ago. We've still got one more chance if nothing gets resolved during tomorrow's election, too. Approaching things with a level head seems like the best approach.

Agreed. Also, um... do you think I could borrow the diary from you tomorrow?

She's obviously shy about asking again. I tell her it depends and she responds with a smile.

07/14 (SAT), Night
If the past few weeks have told me anything, it's that I can focus better when reading at night. I set a cup of coffee down next to the diary and crack it open.

Meow.

Lethe curls up at my feet. It gets pretty humid in July, so I guess the floor here is the coolest place for it to rest. I'll have no luck getting it to move either, so I bring it some milk before getting started. My great-great-grandmother is the one who wrote this diary. Her sister owned a cat named Leo, too. I wonder if she wrote in the diary in a similar environment. Coffee by her side, cat at her feet. Makes me think about how while the times may change, our actions never really do. It's kind of funny- the bookmark I'm using is shaped like a cat.

I finish both my second cup of coffee and the diary around the same time.

BGM: A Dot on a Piece of Paper
What the...?!

The shock of what I've just read even knocks out my taste buds. I'm immediately overcome with disbelief. Yeah. Glad I arranged to meet with Miharu and Naomi tomorrow. I might've forgotten to do so after reading this knock-out. I'm not overexaggerating its shock value. It's fortunate that I can talk to them about it before tomorrow's election. At the very least, it'll reduce the risk of me going wild all on my own.

Unbelievable as this is, it's just what we need.

As Miharu said, this could very well be our trump card. We might just be able to pick Divine Selection apart thanks to this. I can feel my heart racing.

After closing the diary, I remove the photos tucked between its final pages. Three in total. One of Linda, one of her with her family, and a third of her with another girl. Linda Harrison, my great-great-grandmother. That's who this diary belongs to. Seeing her picture isn't what grabbed my attention. It's the one with the other girl in it, specifically. That girl is noted as Linda's sister. The photo isn't high definition or anything, and its turned sepia with age, but I know for a fact that it's Dianna.

She's the spitting image of Parca.

Her clothes are more appropriate for the time of the picture and her hair isn't as long as it is now in the dream world. Regardless, this isn't a case of passing resemblance. They're the exact same person. Every nerve in my body is telling me so. It's theoretically impossible for this to be true. But what's written at the end of the diary makes the impossible a reality.

That's not all, though.

I somehow materialized a new card.

XIII – Name – Dianna Harrison

A thirteenth numeral that shouldn't exist.

Which means...

It's the goddess's card...

I can't help but mutter it aloud. Maybe it's my way of forcing myself to accept the truth I've just uncovered.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka
I – Cause of Death – Death by Asphyxiation
I – Regret – Daily Routine
II – Name – Hebinata Miharu
II – Cause of Death – Suicide
II – Regret – Shishimai Rinka
III – Name – Federico Carminati
III – Cause of Death – Death from Structural Collapse
IV – Name – Yu
IV – Cause of Death – Fire
IV – Regret – Daily Routine
V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetsugu
V – Cause of Death – Death from Starvation
V – Regret – Back when I was Close with Family
VI – Name – Chan Chan
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VIII – Name – Kamebuchi Keiko
VIII – Cause of Death – Brain Hemorrhage
VIII – Regret – Child's Name
IX – Name – Scale Jones
IX – Cause of Death – Death from an Accident
IX – Regret – Gold Medal
X – Name – Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna
X – Regret – Seeing the World
XI – Name – Odette Malencon
XII – Name – Alan Scorpion
XII – Cause of Death – Death from Poison
XII – Regret – Little Sister's Future

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Oh hey, I was kind of expecting this to be the way that they win but didn't think the book would take it into account and produce the card. Let's get Parca elected.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

dervival posted:

So funnily enough, part of the reason I've been rather hostile to Miharu is I'm seeing a lot of the same patterns and behaviors that my abusive uncle used to keep my aunt from leaving him. That's probably heavily coloring my judgment (especially since she just passed last month), but I despite any sort of manipulation like this - it feels like Miharu refuses to give Rinka any volition of her own in a very significant decision, which is something you (might) do to a child, but not a partner. I think that applies for all partnerships, regardless of the orientation of the partners.

Absolutely yes. To be clear, I'm not talking about real partnerships or anything, just how I personally react to media.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

07/15 (SUN), Evening
Thank you for coming.

Closing time arrives once I've rung out the last customer. It's a little early, only a bit past 4 p.m., but I've been open since 8 a.m. That's the norm when the store's open all through the weekend, really.

You're such a hard worker.

She sure is!

Miharu and Naomi had arrived a little bit earlier. They've been waiting for me to finish up for the day. Once done with my cleanup duties, I make my way over to our usual table. I hand them both a cup of coffee as thanks for coming.

I'm glad I got to see the two of you before tonight's election.

That's the only way I can think to lead into the topic. Following that, I place the diary on the table and open it up. The photo is what I want to show them first.

Is this some kind of joke...?

That's Miharu's immediate reaction upon seeing it. Naomi seems puzzled, so I explain its significance to her. About how the girl in the photo is Dianna Harrison, and her uncanny resemblance to Parca.

S-So she and Parca are the same person...?

I say nothing, but offer a reaffirming nod. Now that they've seen that, it's time to show them the name card of Numeral XIII.

The goddess has cards, too...

I wanted to use these to preface our discussion, but maybe I've served the entree before the appetizer, as it were. You could cut the tension with a butter knife.

First things first. This diary was written by my great-great-grandmother, Linda Harrison.

Now feels like the right time to talk about the contents of the diary.

BGM: Sinking in Flames

Based on what I know, Dianna died in a fire when she was twelve. Linda wrote about her regret over this tragedy at the end of the diary. She regretted not being able to save Dianna despite her pleas for help.

The main issue is the eleven weeks leading up to her death, though.

Eleven weeks before Dianna's death, a boy seeking to become her father's pupil fell down the stairs and died from trauma to the head. One of the assistants who had been to their home the week after soon died of food poisoning. The week after that, the mother of the boy who died two weeks prior died from a fever.

Every week following that, someone with some sort of connection to Dianna died. There wasn't any pattern behind who died. Some were close to her while others weren't. These events terrorized her family. It led them to a natural conclusion. That any one of them could be next.

Their fears came true with the twelfth victim. Yep. It's just as I mentioned before. The fire took not only their home but also Dianna's life.

The destruction caused a bookcase to fall on her, crushing the lower half of her body. Linda was in the same room at the time and did all she could to save her. She just wasn't strong enough to move the bookcase. This was a hundred years ago, so they lacked the same means to extinguish fires as we do today. Upon finding the two, their mother had to make an impossible decision. But to her, the answer was clear. Even with her aid, they couldn't get the bookshelf to budge. Their father had passed out from smoke inhalation. The fire would likely consume Dianna were they to stay and call for help, too. So their mother made the only decision she could.

She had to save who she could.

She chose to save Linda at the expense of Dianna.

Linda viewed it as the wrong choice. She felt a responsibility to write about these events in the same diary she received from her beloved sister. Her feelings toward Dianna are penned in detail. It's through them that the entire tale feels all the more tragic.

…...

BGM: He Reveals me the Answer

That's the most important thing I came across while reading.

Things remain tense after I finish my explanation. Understandably so. It's hard to remain composed when you realize the cute girl in the photo died not long after it was taken.

Anyway, this is a sure bet to be our trump card.

Yeah. Parca was originally human. And the sister of my great-great-grandmother, no less.

I came to the same conclusion after listening to you, but it's still hard not to be surprised.

We're all on the same page.

Twelve participants competing over a span of twelve weeks... So the events leading up to her death may have been the basis for Divine Selection.

Yeah... A tragedy through and through.

There's a lingering sadness in Miharu's voice. I doubt she could feel anything else in the face of this revelation.

So a human became a goddess? Part of me finds that hard to swallow...

Both the Court of Fate and Divine Selection exist, though. The re-writing of events and memories, too. We have to accept that the possibility exists based on what we know.

This is just a theory on my part, but it doesn't seem like Parca has any memory of her time as a human.

R-Really?

That'd make sense. She sees us as nothing more than inferior beings.

It doesn't feel like she's spiting us because she was once human, either. Her role as a goddess is unquestionable to her. That's how I saw it before now, so I agree with Miharu's theory. All three of us start to ponder on our own. Naomi eventually speaks up, suggesting that we've probably noticed what she's about to say.

You should be able to elect Parca if you've materialized a card of hers, shouldn't you?

Both myself and Miharu stare at Naomi in response. Our cards contain information that represents our past, present, and future. Most importantly, they allow us to elect and eliminate others. The fact that Parca has her own cards must mean she can be elected as well.

There are too many unknown factors, though. I've got my card book with me, but a card hasn't materialized. Odd, considering I now know both her name and what she looks like.

Does that mean Rinka's somehow special, then...?

I'm not too sure about that, but there must be a reason why.

I'd been wondering why Miharu's card book never reacted to the information I shared. I've been wondering something else, too. Something Naomi picks up on, as well.

The circumstances surrounding Dianna's cause of d-death have been made clear, but Rinka hasn't obtained a card for it...

Based on the contents of the diary, her cause of death would either be from the fire itself or smoke inhalation.

Linda didn't witness the moment Dianna died, though. I think something might've happened after she was dragged away.

Hmm, there are plenty of possibilities, then. Blood loss, the ceiling collapsing in and crushing her, and so on.

It's shocking how calm we are while imagining events from a hundred years ago. It's the only method we have to learn more about Parca, though. This is a possibility that's been right next to us since the beginning, and yet it's one we've only discovered at the last moment.

Putting aside whether it's possible to elect her or not, we'd still need her regret.

That's going to be the hardest part. There's no way we'll get our answer by asking her directly. Not like she'd even be able to if our theory about her not remembering her past is true. It's nothing but a theory, and yet it's one we have to base everything on. I want to believe that we're not following the wrong trail.

This gives me hope, though. Electing her has to be the way we both survive.

I share your hope, but we can't be sure this is the only way yet. We'll need to test it out during the next election.

You want to see what happens when you can't elect one another, right? Is that what you're going to try?

We can't now. It's entirely possible it could result in a situation where we need to settle things by a means other than electing, which might result in us losing the ability to elect her.

Isn't it dangerous to ask her about it, though? She could always prepare countermeasures if she knows what you're planning...

That's true. Perhaps it might be best to do nothing this time around rather than rush things. If we can't figure anything out by the twelfth election, then we can try it.

Yeah. We can't let her know we have her card, either.

You're so close, though!

Naomi's words hit close to home. I'm getting my hopes up. All that's left is to turn my hopes into a winning strategy. It's kind of ironic, though. They talk about fortune smiling on those with hope, but we're dealing with the Goddess of Fate here.

S-So, umm... can I borrow the diary, then?

I can tell she feels guilty asking, but she just can't suppress her curiosity.

Sure. Just remember that it's my gran's. I need it back as is.

Thank you! I'll treat it with the utmost care!

Part of me's worried you'll embrace it so hard it'll crumble.

Important and valuable to my gran as it is, I'm sure it'll be fine in Naomi's hands. Its a source of information, too. Naomi might just be able to pick up on something I missed. Once we've finished that topic, we spend the rest of the day hanging out as normal. Both of them head home after dark. Seeing them talk to each other like friends when I see them off is a relief.

…...

BGM: Rinka's Room

I can't hide my happiness, not even after getting back to my room. I never would've imagined this scenario at the beginning of Divine Selection. Not only is Miharu looking to survive now, but we've also found a possible way for us both to make it through.

Parca, huh...

It's basically confirmed that she used to be human. What happened during her dying moments, then? Something must've caused her transformation. We're left with more questions than before, but it's also proof that we're making progress. I'll do this, no matter what.

Having steeled my will once more, I dive into bed in preparation for tonight's election.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

07/15 (SUN), Midnight
Of the twelve platforms present in the Court of Fate, only two remain that participants are actually standing on. Miharu's and my own. A strange sense of sadness pervades the endless dreamscape. As usual, Parca's voice cuts straight through those sensations.

Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate. ...Perhaps that's a little overdramatic when only two of you remain.

Neither of us react to her comment, causing her to press on.

Tonight serves as the penultimate round of Divine Selection. Which of you will shoulder the burden of those who fell before you and become my vessel, I wonder. Well, neither of you seem intent on rushing things along. That is rather sad, I must admit.

We get the same starting conversation still, with Parca revealing how many iterations of Divine Selection there have been; however, when she begins the election process to cut off any followup questions, things change...

BGM: Do You Understand?

Allow me to begin tonight's election.

Parca makes her announcement before I can ask about it, however. The clock at the center of the Court of Fate begins to move shortly after.

Will we have an election from you tonight, Numeral I?

You won't.

...Very well.

Parca shifts her gaze to Miharu.

And yourself, Numeral II? ...My lovely former vessel.

Sorry, but you're wasting your breath. No election on my part.

Very well, then. Quite the boring session tonight, I do declare!

She puffs her cheeks out in discontent before making her way back to the center of the Court of Fate. Those mannerisms of hers are reminiscent of what I've learned about Dianna from the diary. Innocent, yet always one to act on her whims. A girl loved by cats, perhaps because she was like one herself.

With no elections to speak of, that means we can conclude tonight's gathering of participants. Next week marks the final round of this particular Divine Selection. I look forward to seeing which of you will become my vessel.

Ahaha. Whoever it is will no doubt have a wonderful life ahead of them.

Parca smiles, pinches her skirt, and curtsies. She does this in the exact same way as when I first met her here.

So... there's a question I'd like answered, if you don't mind. What happens if neither of us can elect the other during the next round?

Hmm... That is a possibility worth considering at this point, indeed. Allow me to answer by asking you to consider the significance behind the numerals you have been allocated.

So basically... if neither of us elects the other, the lowest number is given priority and allowed to live on?

No way...

Hard as that is to accept, it's likely what Parca is implying. It's a simple enough conclusion to reach at this point. At first I thought the numerals only represented the order in which we carry out the election process. But now they seem much more interwoven with our fates than before.

There's no need to beat around the bush anymore, is there? Tell us the true meaning behind our numerals.

You said we were allocated them, right? In other words, you didn't assign them yourself. I did find it strange that I wasn't Numeral I despite my death being the one to signal the beginning of Divine Selection.

Originally I thought it was due to a slight miscalculation on the juncture of fate's part, but my spot as Numeral II disproves that.

Very well. I've been looking forward to someone asking me about this, for true. Your numerals were indeed not selected by me.

They represent each participant's proximity to the world's primary course. To this effect, Numeral I is closest, while Numeral XII was the furthest.

Neither of us really understand what she's just said. Can't say I've ever heard of this primary course or whatever before now.

Think of the universe as a lake that filters into an endless number of streams. Each stream represents an alternate world that is birthed through choices made by its people. Of course, people themselves are not aware of this.

The Court of Fate serves as a place to overlook those streams.

I recall you mentioning that last part during the first round.

Indeed.

Hold on a sec. I'm not following.

Let's say you think about eating bread for breakfast. In this situation, a world where you do and a world where you do not are both spawned.

Huh...?

She tries to give me a basic example, but it flies right over my head. Her cheeks puff up, likely due to my interrupting her, before continuing.

What is it that leads to the creation of these two different worlds? The very moment you choose to have bread, you imagine a scenario where you do and one where you don't. The universe is not as stable as people believe. Personal perception plays an integral part in its existence.

You may have gone ahead and eaten your bread, but the outcome of not doing so now exists in your imagination. As such, that outcome becomes a reality in another world by nature of you recognizing it. This is what I refer to when speaking of the world's primary course and its branches.

Going back to the previous example, having bread would become part of the primary course- the lake. The world where you didn't would become a stream that gradually strays further and further from the primary course.

Are you getting this?

I direct my question not toward Parca, but Miharu. She nods and then goes on to explain.

Hmm... We could call ourselves observers of a sort. The primary course follows the most likely scenario.

I expected nothing less of you. Did you perhaps remember that we've had this conversation once before?

Miharu shakes her head in response. Her quick explanation helps me to understand things, though... If we're talking about the more likely scenario, then me having bread falls under that because it's a scenario born from my initial desire to do so.

We've strayed from the main topic somewhat.

Parca forces a cough before proceeding.

You all lost your lives during the juncture of causality, but worlds exist where that never happened. Using my power over fate, I linked each world where one of you survived to the primary course.

So the primary course currently comprises worlds where we both died and survived?

Not quite. That contradiction can only support itself here in the dream world, which is created from humanity's dormant consciousness. The Court of Fate is an anomaly to the world under normal circumstances. That being said, it's fine if you simply understand that one's perception of things here can affect the primary course.

The more she talks, the more lost I become. Miharu seems pretty interested in what she has to say, but it's doing nothing but confusing me. I take a chance to interrupt Parca when she stops for a breath by pointing at the floor.

None of that answers my question about the numerals, though.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, are we? The world you currently live in is one that I altered from a branch. In simple terms, your numerals represent the ease with which fate can be altered, from lowest to highest.

I think Parca gave up on explaining toward the end there. I get the gist of what she's saying now, though.

So basically, you'd cut out whoever has the highest numeral to make the final alteration of fate easier. Right?

Oh, correct you are, my dear. I forgot that you tend to comprehend things that others don't.

I notice Miharu nodding from the corner of my eye. I can't deny her claim if Miharu is agreeing.

Furthermore, the twelve-week period represents the limit of your ability to maintain this paradoxical world. Is that right?

Who knows. I've never bothered to go past that. What's important is that doing so would tire me much more than I would like.

She pouts following that statement. I can't help but think she's exaggerating a bit. Mainly because she doesn't want to admit that she has a limit. Can't beat her divine pride. Anyway, the gist is that she's only capable of joining the branches together with the primary course for twelve weeks.

What happens to the worlds where each participant's death has been undone when they're eliminated?

Fantastic question, my dear. While I may be able to alter the world myself, the world also has something of a counter force. This exists to return both the primary course and each branch to normal.

Once a participant has been eliminated, the world in which they're still alive becomes a branch once again and distances itself from the primary course more and more.

So there are still worlds out there where they're still alive? In that case...!

There are indeed, though I must stress that even I can't observe them once they've drifted far enough away. The juncture of causality that ties twelve of these worlds together is what allows me to link them to the primary course in the first place.

Regardless, it's about time we end tonight's session. I've carried on for far too long already.

Wait...

Tonight's session resulted in no eliminations. I bid you farewell for now.

She wastes no time in making her announcement after cutting the conversation short. I turn my gaze to Miharu, who calmly nods back to me. That's right. There's no need for us to panic right now. We need to throw our original plan out the window based on what we've learned tonight. Should two participants remain, whoever has the higher numeral will be eliminated by default. This likely applies to a situation where we can't elect one another, too.

Our only hope now is the one card sleeping within my card book.

[END OF WEEK ELEVEN (PART B): THE TRUTH, REVEALED]

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

07/16 (MON), Early Morning
Good evening. Or is it good morning? Hmm, 'greetings' doesn't feel right, either. I wouldn't mind having a catchphrase like a certain goddess, but inventing one is rather difficult.

Once again, I'm face to face with this man. He speaks casually and then grins. Is he trying to provoke me?

Apologies. I'll set the jokes aside for now.

You've finally obtained the most fundamental piece to this puzzle. All that remains is to place it in the relevant spot. This puzzle is one that was never meant to be completed. Allow me to guide you through the fog that clouds your memory.

…...

BGM: Sinking in Flames

Flames envelop me. Flames powerful enough to flake the skin from my bones. Flames that produce enough smoke to smolder my lungs. My life turns to ash. My inability to move even my fingers tells me as much.

Linda: Dianna... Dianna...! Don't leave her behind! Please...! Dianna...!

I hear someone shouting. I finally know to whom these cries of anguish belong. Fate truly works in strange ways. I thought these were memories shared only by myself and Naomi, but I learned that I share them with my parents. And now it turns out even Linda and Dianna went through the same thing.

...nda... ...ve... yourself...

The flames spread further, drowning out the cries. My consciousness vanishes by the time they become inaudible.

…...

BGM: Powerless

07/16 (MON), Morning
And then I wake up in a cold sweat.

Meow.

Lethe must've crawled into my bed at some point, but it's not responsible for this. I recall those flames. The memories sleeping within me aren't just my own. I'm not sure if it's because we're related or because I read that diary, but it's definitely due to one of those reasons why I saw what I did. What's more, I notice that a new card has materialized in my card book.

Dianna's, and thus Parca's, cause of death.

Poison is written on the card. That's the most common cause of death when it comes to deaths like these. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills much faster than the flames. No death can be described as pleasant, but Dianna's case seems especially painful.

Meow.

Lethe jumps from my bed, probably because I've gotten up and moved to my desk. It usually runs off after I get up. But I'm not gonna let that happen today.

Meow!

Rather than pick it up like normal, I grab it by the tail- mainly out of fear that it'll outrun me. It was definitely about to hightail it.

Meow!

It turns to face me and starts hissing. I guess being grabbed by the tail doesn't feel too good. I refuse to let go and tug it even harder. It tries to run, but I scoop it up and then check its front paw.

I knew it.

It has a scar there. The same scar that Leo, Linda's cat had. Her diary mentioned that it cut itself by stepping on a piece of glass. Naturally, you don't inherit a scar. The possibility of Lethe somehow injuring itself in the same spot exists, but I'm willing to bet that isn't the case.

You're the guy that keeps appearing in my dreams, aren't you? Can't say I understand how that works, but after everything else I've seen, it's hardly surprising.

Meow?

My question may make me sound crazy, but I pose it nonetheless. Lethe is always nearby whenever that guy appears. I first noticed it after seeing the photo with Dianna and Leo. I can't just chalk it up to them looking alike now, even if the idea of it living for so long seems impossible. Throwing away logic is a must if I want to find the truth behind Divine Selection. Its paw serves as my definitive piece of evidence. It only makes sense that even a cat can become a vessel for something if humans can.

Maybe you can only speak in the dream world or something...

A sudden realization causes me to plot Lethe on my seat. If it really is that guy from my dreams, then that means I've been sharing my bed with him...

Anyway! If you can understand me, you better show yourself tonight. We can talk more then.

Meow.

It is a simple meow, but it sounds like a proper response to my ears.

…...

07/16 (MON), Noon
We have Monday through Thursday off from school due to midterms being over. Although it's one of the busiest times for teachers, since they have to go over everyone's exams, grade them, and then prepare all the different results sheets. They can probably do with as much help as they can get right now. Funny how I'm the one getting help from some weird guy in my dreams at a time like this.

That being said, I plan on keeping the store open all day during our time off. It might seem weird to prioritize weekdays over the weekend, but I'm sure the regulars will appreciate it.

…...

07/16 (MON), Night
The day flies by faster than anticipated, thus I return to my room. Lethe's already curled up and ready to sleep, so I grab a blanket and wrap it up. It really does understand what I'm saying, huh?

Good night...

I've got an early start tomorrow, so I dive right into bed once I'm ready. Well, mostly because something tells me I'm not going to feel rested at all when I wake up.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka
I – Cause of Death – Death by Asphyxiation
I – Regret – Daily Routine
II – Name – Hebinata Miharu
II – Cause of Death – Suicide
II – Regret – Shishimai Rinka
III – Name – Federico Carminati
III – Cause of Death – Death from Structural Collapse
IV – Name – Yu
IV – Cause of Death – Fire
IV – Regret – Daily Routine
V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetsugu
V – Cause of Death – Death from Starvation
V – Regret – Back when I was Close with Family
VI – Name – Chan Chan
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VIII – Name – Kamebuchi Keiko
VIII – Cause of Death – Brain Hemorrhage
VIII – Regret – Child's Name
IX – Name – Scale Jones
IX – Cause of Death – Death from an Accident
IX – Regret – Gold Medal
X – Name – Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna
X – Regret – Seeing the World
XI – Name – Odette Malencon
XII – Name – Alan Scorpion
XII – Cause of Death – Death from Poison
XII – Regret – Little Sister's Future
XIII – Cause of Death – Death from Poison

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012
Ok I must be missing something because I am not seeing where it’s mentioned or alluded to that she’s been poisoned and that it wasn’t the fire.

Also…. Rinka’s ancestor dies in a fire but not by a fire as well? Interesting?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

xxarmageddonxx posted:

Ok I must be missing something because I am not seeing where it’s mentioned or alluded to that she’s been poisoned and that it wasn’t the fire.

Also…. Rinka’s ancestor dies in a fire but not by a fire as well? Interesting?

Mix posted:

Poison is written on the card. That's the most common cause of death when it comes to deaths like these. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills much faster than the flames. No death can be described as pleasant, but Dianna's case seems especially painful

As said, it isn't the flames that usually kill you in that scenario. No wonder the same happened to Rinka.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

at this point, it's a family tradition :v:

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

As said, it isn't the flames that usually kill you in that scenario. No wonder the same happened to Rinka.

My bad. Should have remembered that.

Anyways love the LP Mix!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I wonder how they split "Death by Poison" and "Death by Asphyxiation" in this? I'm a bit surprised that the writers classified Dianna's death with the former rather than the latter.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

dervival posted:

I wonder how they split "Death by Poison" and "Death by Asphyxiation" in this? I'm a bit surprised that the writers classified Dianna's death with the former rather than the latter.

Didn't Yu crush Rinkas throat after the explosion, but before he himself died in the fire?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i mean in Rinka's case its because she was literally strangled to death by Yu. :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Look you can't expect us to remember everything that happened, that's what the LP is for!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I still can't believe how Yu pushed Rinka's racecar off of Dead Man's Curve

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 26, 2022

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Feliday Melody posted:

Didn't Yu crush Rinkas throat after the explosion, but before he himself died in the fire?

So I wasn't even thinking of Rinka's cause of death when writing that, but was just surprised at the level of detail on Dianna's cause of death card. Looking back though, basically every card has been that specific barring Federico's and Scale's causes of death, so I'm not sure why it surprised me in the first place! :doh:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

07/16 (MON), Midnight
Yep. Looks like I was right. The fact that I find myself in the dream world, albeit one different from the Court of Fate, proves it.

Good evening. I guess there's no need for secrets now that you've uncovered my catdentity. Purrhaps you might be wondering why you can't speak here, but it's rather simple. Unlike Parca, my previous owner, I lack the ability to meownifest the Court of Fate.

Maintaining your existence on a conceptual level is simply impawsible for me. Furrtunately, I can intervene in your own dream world.

I get that he's trying to say something important, but all those cringey cat puns make it hard to care. I'll probably force myself to wake up if he doesn't stop soon.

Aw, how harsh of you, haha. This helps prove the point I wanted to make, though. You may not be able to speak here, but your thoughts still make it to me.

So what are you, exactly?

I am Lethe, the river of forgetfulness that flows through the underworld. Rather, an existence given power resembling it. The details vary from tale to tale, but we can keep it simple for your sake. Lethe is a rever that flows through the underworld and those who drink from it experience complete forgetfulness.

Nope, that doesn't explain anything.

I'm the one responsible for erasing the memories of any paradoxes created by Divine Selection. Think of me as a being that's been granted the role of interfering with people's memories, if you will.

Either way, I was right about you being Lethe. Actually, I guess you'd be Leo, considering the scar on your paw. Can you explain how and why you can take on a human form and appear in my dreams, much like Parca?

It's because I'm essentially nothing to this world. A regular cat became me, while a poor girl became a goddess. That's how the story begins.

I knew it. Parca really was Dianna all along. There's no denying it now that he's said as much.

Indeed. I knew there was every possibility you would discover this through reading Linda's diary. Of course, I would have been a tad upset if you never caught on to my own identity after all the hints I dropped.

Hints?

Our position in the real world has no relation to our ability to appear within your dreams. Yet I made sure to always be near you when I did, no? Regardless, our power being transient means time is of the essence. Allow me to give a quick explanation as to how I came to be.

Time seems to be a concern for him too, just like Parca. Curious as I am, I make sure not to interrupt him.

BGM: Do You Understand?

This power of mine is one I was never meant to receive. The circumstances differ greatly from Dianna's. She lost her life soon after eleven other people. This served as the most suitable manner in which to become Parca. Whether that was by coincidence or not, I can't say for sure.

Either way, her desire to live was powerful. So much so that it reached something that may or may not exist in this world.

He adds that that thing could be what we humans refer to as gods or spirits. Along with the fact that it's something we can't perceive.

Nothing would come from that desire under regular circumstances. However, eleven lives were lost previous to this. The prospects surrounding the lives and deaths of those eleven people formed a spiral with Dianna at its center, becoming a force capable of distorting fate itself.

Their feelings and what they had experienced became fragments, which accumulated within that distortion. On a conceptual level, these fragments serve as a form of energy. Dianna's link to that something I mentioned allowed her to use that energy and cause a miracle, resulting in her becoming Parca.

The thirteenth person involved, Linda, would become her vessel. Of course, her existence wasn't perfect. Unlike that certain something, she required a vessel and ritual to exist.

This is where Leo, our cute and lovable cat, comes in. I myself was on the brink of death due to that fire. Dianna, through her desire for Leo to survive, split her power with me. She did so despite it being imperfect.

To be more accurate, I was connected with the very same something by her doing so. Having been removed from the circle of fate, death became a foreign concept to me. I was given a will and human-like features, yet I cannot be classified as one. I was no longer a mere cat, but also nothing close to a god. That's what stands before you now.

Dianna may have wished for Leo's survival, but unfortunately that never came to be. In the end, Lethe's existence remains undefined.

I only get about half of what he's saying, in all honesty. It's like how you can understand words, but not their meaning. I'm sure what he's trying to say is simple, though. Dianna's desire to live led to her becoming Parca, and her desire for Leo to survive turned it into Lethe. Now I'm even more curious. That way of thinking is the exact same as us.

He still has more to say.

Dianna is a kind girl at heart. That's why I used my power on her first and foremost- to erase almost all of her memories from her time as a human. I left just enough for Parca to retain a human-like will. Do you know why?

She must bear the burden of carrying out Divine Selection to maintain her own existence. Doing so involves giving hope to others, only to rip it away. A girl as kind as her could never live with that. Thus, I chose to do what I did.

She never once tried to interfere with our fates. Our situation seemed entertaining to her on the surface, but she never looked as though she was truly enjoying it.

Indeed. The emotions you all experience are foreign to Parca. That's why she's been able to proceed with Divine Selection thus far.

So Divine Selection is a system put in place to ensure Dianna's continued existence? It sure seems that way, at least.

With that out of the way, I have a request.

A request?

Indeed. Not as Lethe, but as a simple cat that treasured its owner.

Please save her.

Save her...?

That's right. She's finally awakened to a certain ambition in her current form. That is to say, she wishes to abandon her conceptual form. Not using a simple vessel, but with a full-fledged body of her own.

So Dianna's trying to revive herself, then?

Not quite. Dianna doesn't wish for this. Divine Selection has allowed her to create the personality known as Parca. This personality was born based on the few memories she retained as Dianna.

Desires and ambitions are inherently attached to one's personality. That's why Parca eventually developed this ambition of her own. All the pieces fell into place for her. This happened through her meeting someone who shares both her essence and past material form.

A direct descendant of her older sister- someone born within the confines of a twisted fate.

Dianna's older sister, Linda. Someone born during Divine Selection, whose existence wasn't undone...

...It's me.

Granted, that's not too difficult to figure out when only me and Miharu are left at this point.

Correct you are. Parca, having met you through your fate, influenced fate so that you would become a participant.

Huh?

She opposed fate itself in doing so. Her powers remain transient all the same, thus she can never win against it. Fate, and the world itself, will do everything it can to return to its natural state.

Even should she succeed and overtake your body, all that awaits her is a cruel death.

What do you want me to do, then?

You're already just one step away from succeeding, aren't you?

So we have to elect her?

Elections are a means of reverting one's fate by making everything about them clear. You can restore Dianna back to her original fate by doing so. They may be different personalities, but both Dianna and Parca share the same existence. Both will disappear should you succeed. They'll finally be able to rest.

Dianna's done enough by this point. She has no reason to defy fate anymore.

What about us, then? We're trying to do what she did...

Your cases are inherently different. Surviving Divine Selection is a simple case of trying to influence the possibility of you still being alive into the primary flow. Dianna, on the other hand, no longer has that possibility. Over one-hundred years have passed since her birth, after all.

Her ambition is what it means to truly defy fate. Pain and suffering come hand in hand with this, however. They only continue to build up while she's unaware.

And you're fine with this?

Dianna herself is upset by all this. It's her will as much as it is mine.

Can you explain that?

Sorry, but I won't be able to maintain my connection to your dream world for much longer.

Wait! We still don't know Parca's regret. There's more I want to ask, too...

Worry not. It won't be long before you come to learn the rest.

You can't rely on me any further. From here on out, you'll have to use everything you know to make it through. Find an outcome where both of you can be happy.

And allow me to make one last apology. I am the one responsible for your foggy memory at the outset of Divine Selection. I had to remove parts of your own memory to make you forget your own compatibility with Parca. I did it so she couldn't force you to win.

Hmm, perhaps I should phrase it another way. Your happiness relies on surviving with your friend, correct? I know her well through you, my current owner. As such, this is the most I can do to help you. Be warned, though. The gradual return of your memories also affects Parca's. She has her sights set on you now.

A way for both of us to survive... That's...

Things would never have played out like this had you known everything from the start. Though I should stress, it was by your own power that they did. I merely provided an opportunity.

I guess I should thank you, then.

I'm the one that should be thanking you. We spent far more time together while I was a cat, but you've been a fantastic owner. Helping you out any further would be breaking my own rules, so we won't meet again until everything is over.

Rules exist to maintain order and balance. It wouldn't be right of me to topple that balance by continuing to break them. Ah, let's not forget that you'll still have the pleasure of seeing me in my lovely cat form.

Good luck. I'm praying for your success.

My mind begins to lull once more as he stops talking. Dreams are supposed to be a way for the brain to process thoughts, but I'm leaving more confused than I came.

…...

07/17 (TUE), Morning
Upon waking up, I notice a gorgeous black cat sleeping on my bed.

Thanks, Lethe.

Meow.

I drag myself out of bed after hearing its answer. Lethe told me that we need to make it through on our own. Through the twelfth election- the conclusion of Divine Selection. In other words, next Monday. We need to overcome all odds and reach that day.

Okay, time t-

My phone goes off just as I'm about to get ready. Looks like Mao's calling me. It's not a text- an actual call. I take a deep breath and answer it.

Rinny, come quick! Naorin's... Naorin's...!

Mao's panicked voice is the first thing I hear after picking up.

The shock of what I just heard causes me to drop my phone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mix. posted:

Good evening. I guess there's no need for secrets now that you've uncovered my catdentity. Purrhaps you might be wondering why you can't speak here, but it's rather simple. Unlike Parca, my previous owner, I lack the ability to meownifest the Court of Fate.

Maintaining your existence on a conceptual level is simply impawsible for me. Furrtunately, I can intervene in your own dream world.

slay him

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

slay him

I checked the japanese version, and it's full of cat puns as well
"Konban nya" :allears:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If Dianna/Parca dies, I think he does too :v:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
There's nothing more terrifying than an immortal cat.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C'mon, he missed the opportunity to say 'nyanifest'. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Impatience

07/17 (TUE), Noon
Mao called Miharu as well, so the three of us meet in the hospital lounge to talk. Based on what we know, Naomi was rushed there earlier.

Seems like she collapsed this morning... She was reading at home as usual, but something seemed off. Then she said that her head started hurting all of a sudden... She had an awful fever, which is what caused her mom to call an ambulance.

They don't seem to know what the cause is, either.

I'd heard the details from Naomi's mom as well. They have no idea what's happened. What's worse is she's also unconscious. It's so sudden that they can't think of any cause. I can't blame them, either. She seemed perfectly fine to me when last we met. Doesn't seem like she's collapsed from overexertion, so all the doctors can do is put her on an IV and let her sleep for now.

How come you were the first to hear about this?

I called her up to ask if she wanted to hang at your place, but her mom picked up instead...

This would be completely unexpected to most people. But me? I've seen her go through this before.

Do you know what she was reading?

Nope. Only that it was some really old book. They suggested that she could've been allergic to a mold or something since it's so old, but apparently that's not it...

I try not to make a big deal out of this information.

Well, there's not much we can do right now. Might as well go home and wait for the results of her scan.

I head out after that, but not before making eye contact with Miharu.

…...

07/17 (TUE), Noon
Back at Lion House, Miharu turns up before long. Guess she understood what I meant. Mao took this development the worst out of us, so I urged her to just go home. That, plus the fact that I can't really discuss what I'm about to when she's around.

Do you remember what I told you about Naomi collapsing before the tenth election?

I do. The time Alan helped her, right?

I nod.

She mentioned having a headache not long before collapsing then, too. Her condition's a lot worse now than it was back then, but the symptoms are similar. She even had a fever at the time.

It was due to her memories being in disarray, if I recall. Mainly because they get rewritten after every elimination, unlike ours. That burden must have led to her headache, and eventually, her collapse.

I suffered similar headaches during the start of Divine Selection due to my own foggy memory. In Naomi's case, new memories are overwriting those she had prior to the alteration. That means she's suffering twice as much as I did.

It's my fault for not noticing...

No, it's not. I take responsibility for not anticipating it...

Naomi's been with me this entire time. I may have chosen to distance myself from her for a time, but I've been keeping her up to date with everything since the incident with Yu. So basically, I've been replacing her new memories with those from before the alteration. Things never would've escalated this far if I had been more careful.

...There's no point in feeling sorry for ourselves right now. All we can do is believe that she'll be fine. What's more, we also have a duty to think about Divine Selection.

...Yeah. Thanks.

I'm so grateful for Miharu's level-headedness. Then again, I doubt it's all natural. She's forcing herself to be like this due to my own state of panic. I take a deep breath and suggest that we sit down. I can't just switch gears considering the circumstances, but the truth remains that either Miharu or I will die if we don't sort things out. We need to make progress, no matter what.

Take a look at this.

I show her a certain card. Dianna's cause of death. Not only that, but I make sure to fill her in on what Lethe told me.

Needless to say, doing so takes some time. I make some coffee to help calm the both of us down, but we drink it all long before I am done.

That answers plenty of questions. Now I can guess why you're the only one that can materialize Dianna's cards, too.

I tilt my head in curiosity, not entirely understanding her.

You're clearly special to Parca, hence her desire for you. On the flipside, that makes her- Dianna, rather- special to you as well.

We both share something, which is why only I can materialize her cards... right?

Miharu nods and says that's likely the case.

Anyway, trusting not-cat-Lethe seems like our best bet. What he said aligns with what we know, too.

Yeah. If anything, I trust in the fact that he's fond of both us and Dianna.

It might be similar to how a parent feels for their children, considering how long it's been around.

Lethe just happens to pass by while we're talking about it. It flinches when I call out to it, but then it turns to face us.

Is there anything you can do to help Naomi? She has to be suffering thanks to what's going on with her memories...

Lethe should be able to do something. He might even know the cause. What's more, he could use his powers to make her forget one side and stabilize things.

Oh, I forgot you can't speak in that form. Could we talk if I take a nap?

Lethe shakes its head. Not every day you see a cat do that. I realize right away that it isn't doing so just in response to my question, though. The Lethe in my dreams already told me that it won't help us anymore.

Consider it a request from me, as well. You know how to help her, don't you?

Even Miharu pleads with it. Lethe doesn't respond this time, instead turning its head and wandering off. Neither of us can do anything to stop it. That reminds me of what I was told before. “You can't rely on me any further. From here on out, you'll have to use everything you know to make it through.”

Did Lethe know this would happen...?

It's possible he said that while taking this situation into consideration. In that case, this is something we need to overcome on our own.

Either way, we should visit Naomi tomorrow.

Agreed.

We split up for the day following that. All that's left to do is wait. So I say, but it's pretty frustrating when we don't even have time to discuss Parca's regret.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'd really like it if Rinka showed at least some initiative in figuring out people's cards. It made sense in the beginning, when she hadn't decided to fight yet, but lately it feels like all cards she has are handed to her. At least now with only Parca left to elect, she should make some effort to guess it instead of just waiting for Lethe to show her.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'd really like it if Rinka showed at least some initiative in figuring out people's cards. It made sense in the beginning, when she hadn't decided to fight yet, but lately it feels like all cards she has are handed to her. At least now with only Parca left to elect, she should make some effort to guess it instead of just waiting for Lethe to show her.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

07/18 (WED), Morning
Lethe didn't appear in my dreams last night, though that much was expected. I can't tell if this tendency to rely on others is a trait of mine or of people in general. Either way, we've made arrangements to go to the hospital with Mao today. Miharu has to work the morning shift, so it'll happen this evening. We're gonna talk things out back here regarding Parca's regret once we're done, too.

I waste no time in getting ready to leave.

…..

BGM: WARNING

07/18 (WED), Evening
They said they don't know when they'll be able to discharge her...

Mao makes no effort to conceal her shock over the current situation. Both of us sigh, prompting Mao to relay the rest of what she heard from Naomi's mom.

They have no idea what's going on, even after all the scans. It's all just so sudden... They even said it's possible that she might not wake up again... What in the world happened to her...?

Not knowing what's going on must have her far more distressed than me. That almost makes me want to reveal everything about Divine Selection to her. Miharu pulls on my sleeve upon noticing my expression, though. We haven't told her about any of this for a reason. She doesn't deserve to be burdened with that knowledge, plus we want her to remain as our beacon for a regular life. I clench my first and do all I can to hold back the temptation. Telling her won't help Naomi recover.

We just have to believe in her.

It hurts, but that's really all we can do for now.

…...

07/18 (WED), Night
...That's enough for today, I'd say.

Miharu and I return to Lion House to talk things out. Not much comes from our meeting, though. Miharu seems particularly disappointed based on her expression when she leaves. Our discussion involved Parca's regret. We came up with a number of ideas based on what I'd learned from Lethe, but none of them resulted in a card.

It's Wednesday, so I'm starting to panic. I'm starting to feel like I really am powerless. Was it just a coincidence that everything else went so well prior to this? I'm sure Miharu's going to offer up her own life if things continue like this. Parca said she had no involvement in the distribution of our numerals, but I can't help but suspect that she set things up for me to be the sole survivor should a situation like this arise. It allows her to carry out her ambition.

So unfair...

I clench my first in anger. It's all I can do...

…...

07/19 (THU), Night
That's enough for today, I'd say.

I'm forced to hear Miharu repeat the same line from yesterday. Naomi still hasn't recovered and we still haven't made any progress with Parca's regret. So basically, we're still stuck at the same spot. Today is our last day off from school, too. We'll be back there tomorrow, forced to face our exam results. Summer holidays aren't too far off either, and yet we won't have the chance to enjoy them at this rate.

...Is it all over for us?

My panic leads me to lament. Our lack of progress after feeling such hope for the future has taken a huge toll on me.

*thwap!*

I hang my head, only to hear a violent sound reverberate through the store. A wave of pain rushing through my cheek accompanies it.

Wha-

BGM: Numb

I won't apologize for that one.

The source is simple. Miharu has just slapped me right across the face. The stinging pain doesn't seem like it'll fade anytime soon.

What's left for us if you give up now? Lethe wasn't lying when he said you're standing here by your own power. It's thanks to you that I haven't given up on living. You're the one who convinced me, aren't you? The rest of us are bound to fall apart if you, of all people, give up.

Miharu's lips quiver as she looks down at me. Now I know that she looks ready to cry when she gets angry. This may be the first time she's ever been truly upset with me.

So what should I do?

You said it yourself. We need to believe in Naomi. You remaining resolute is a requirement for us to do that.

I pry my hand from my cheek and stare Miharu down. The pain hasn't faded, but if anything, it has helped me to calm down.

I'll believe in her. Not just in her, but in myself as well. I'll make sure we gather all of Parca's cards.

Good.

I've given into despair once before. Back when Yu killed Naomi. Naomi's still alive this time around, though. There's no doubt she's fighting against her own conflicting memories. I don't have any right to give up.

Miharu comes to her senses upon seeing me stand up and stretch, which leads to her worrying about having hit me. It's kind of funny to hear her telling me to ice my cheek down to prevent it from swelling, as well as worry about whether or not I bit the inside of my mouth when she smacked me.

I find myself in thought once alone in my room. Lethe's claim has to mean that we already have the necessary information available to us. Which means we need to work to find what links it all. Lethe made it a point to liken our memories to a puzzle, too.

There has to be a connection.

In terms of both Naomi's hospitalization and Parca's secret that Lethe mentioned, I mean. It's hard to believe that they're not connected when the concept of memories plays such a big part in both. There might not even be an answer to find, but right now all I can do is think. I continue to think until I fall asleep. Oh, I should add that Miharu sent me over ten texts about how worried she is about me. None of them included an apology, though. She's definitely stubborn.

…...

07/20 (FRI), Morning
Nothing new comes to mind upon waking up. Today's Friday, which means we've only got three days till the final round. It's still too soon to give up, though. We managed to materialize Scale's final card with far less time to spare. Now that I think about it, there may be another diary or something lying around in my gran's room. I'll ask her if I can snoop around once school's over.

Something'll come to mind so long as I don't give up. For now, though, I should focus on getting ready for school.

…...

Nothing could prepare me for what awaits me there. And I mean that in a good way.

BGM: Naomi
Naomi...!

Naorin!

Naomi...

All three of us happen to arrive at the same time, only to see Naomi there. Part of me wonders when she woke up and if she should even be at school so soon, but my relief over her being okay takes precedence. It's only natural, really.

It doesn't take long for another shocking revelation to rear its head, though. One that I'm not sure how to react over.

Salutations, one and all.

That single line is enough to freeze me in my tracks. The same likely applies to Miharu.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I could see a good horror premise from this. All you have to do is stand in front of the book three times and say "Parca, Parca, Parca."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
uh oh.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I get the same reaction whenever I say "salutations".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yay, Naomi's okay! :kiddo:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ooh, well, salutations to you too, Naorin.

Mao's probably the only one to adapt well to Naomi's sudden change.

My sincerest apologioes for concerning you. As you can see, I am now fit as a fiddle once again.

Yep, awesome! We were worried about you for a while there.

Ohohoho.

Naomi places one hand over her mouth and belts out an elegant laugh. It's far too different from how Naomi usually behaves. If anything, it reminds me of a certain someone.

Parca.

The realization causes me to stay alert. Wasn't it my body she was aiming for? What's more, we still have three days of Divine Selection left.

Come along, we mustn't tarry here.

We make our way into the school upon her insistence, all manner of questions on my mind.

Once inside, we split up and head to our respective classrooms. Mao doesn't seem too taken aback due to her relief that Naomi's better, but I don't have that same luxury. The same applies to Miharu. What if Mao's memories have been overwritten to make her think that this is now Naomi's always talked? A chill runs down my spine as I consider that. There's nothing I can do if Parca's taken over Naomi and altered the world to make that normal.

Naorin sure is speaking funny after being down for a few days. But hey, it's good to see her doing better.

Yeah, she looks as good as new.

I do feel like she should've taken some time off, though...

Mao makes it apparent that she's too preoccupied with being happy over Naomi's recovery to care about her speech. One concern's been eliminated, but the possibility of Parca having taken over Naomi's body remains. We agree to meet after school, so I'll take a chance and see how things play out.

…...

BGM: Regular Ordinary Girlish Chat

07/20 (FRI), Noon
It's been a while since we were last at school, but there's nothing much for us to do other than check our exam results. I'm actually pretty invested in them this time, considering the effort I put into studying.

How'd ya do, Rinny?

Mao wastes no time in asking me about my grades. And for once in my life, I can show my report card with pride.

Not a single subject below sixty. Shows how much I studied, huh?

Phew... That's... Part of me was worried you'd beat me since you studied way more than me, but I guess it was for nothing.

She is happy to shove her own report card in my face. Over seventy in every subject. She has to be in the top half of our grade with results like that.

It's all about putting in the work every day.

Hahaha...

Miharu makes her way over while I'm wincing over this harsh life lesson.

Those exams were pretty tough, in all honesty. I even let someone else take my top spot thanks to not being able to study as much as I'd have liked.

Her results are so incredible that I can barely stand to look at them. But just as she said, she dropped to second in our grade this time around. There are three scholarship positions from what I remember, so her marks shouldn't be an issue.

It's a pretty remarkable jump compared to your midterms, at least. Geez. Sucks that we gotta start worrying about entrance exams soon, though.

The format of our school means that most people have already started to study for the university's entrance exams the moment they enter high school. That reminds me, Naomi said she's gonna start going to cram school during the summer. I guess that makes me and Mao the odd ones out, considering Miharu's a beast that doesn't need to worry about such things.

Amecha's exams are pretty difficult compared to those of other schools by nature of its format. Entrance exams won't be bad so long as you keep on top of your normal studies. There's no point for people who do poorly on exams to try and make up for it with cram school. All they'll accomplish is fooling themselves into thinking they know how to study when they don't.

I realize she's trying to cheer me up- I do. But her point's so sharp that it may as well be a lethal weapon. I just pray she doesn't say anything like that around Naomi.

Excellent point, Miharu. And one that gives Queen Mao free reign to enjoy her summer holiday to its fullest!

Mao declares her plans loud and proud, but Miharu seems to have ignored them completely.

There's a fireworks display in August, right? Let's keep that day free.

Of course.

Miharu and I promised we'd go to it back when we were at the theme park. That's why I respond right away.

Aight! Let's prepare our attack plan at Rinny's place!

I give Mao an affirmative nod.

…...

BGM: Town

We only have morning classes today, so we head back to my place after grabbing some food at the school cafeteria. As for Naomi, she's still speaking like royalty.

I do declare, that ramen was spectacular. A culinary delight that only a commoner can truly appreciate.

This sure is messing with my head. Hearing Naomi talk and act snobby like Parca is an... adjustment, to say the least. Life would be a lot easier if I could just not care like Mao, but that's not an option.

Oh, yeah. Mind if I ask when you woke up, Naorin?

Last evening. Again, my sincerest apologies for causing you all undue concern. Both the doctors and my mother were beside themselves with worry, but upon some measurements of my heart rate and blood pressure, I was given a clean bill of health.

Well, 'twas met with opposition when I voiced my desire to attend school and enjoy my final day of this semester, but forsooth, they eventually relented. I am perfectly sound, as you can see. Further concern is unwarranted.

...Well, if you say so.

Miharu makes no effort to hide her incredulity. The conversation continues as we make our way to Lion House.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Alas, poor Naomi. Doomed to spend the rest of her life as an ohohohojousama. :v:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Naomi is just into role-playing.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Naomi isn't Parca. She's probably that girl that became Parca. And through her, they will probably get Parcas regret.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

07/20 (FRI), Evening
Aight, I'm gonna jet. Got stuff to do.

Mao takes her leave before too long. The plan was to figure out what we'd do during the summer holiday, but all we did was chat and eat snacks. Not much in the way of planning. Granted, this is Mao we're talking about. She'll probably come up with a new suggestion sooner or later. Can't say I'm against letting her decide what we should do, either.

The real issue is with this girl sitting in front of me right now.

...Care to explain yourself now?

My question isn't posed to Naomi, but the person pretending to be her.

Why, my name is Hitsuji Naomi. A lovely, blossoming high school freshman. My primary hobby is reading, and although I can be a bit shy, I am kind and earnest. ...Although I doubt you two can bring yourselves to believe such a claim.

The mimic giggles at its own comment. Miharu and I grow even more wary, but the stranger has more to say.

I tease! Please accept my apologies. Trust me, though. I am no enemy of yours.

My true name is Dianna Harrison. I have taken the liberty of borrowing Hitsuji Naomi's body for the time being.

Wait... you're not Parca?

Miharu asks the question that is on the tip of my tongue. Wasn't Dianna said to have turned into Parca after her death? Lethe's explanation suddenly comes to mind.

Lethe said he took away Dianna's memories. Does that mean you're-

Rather astute conjecture, my dear. I represent the memories Lethe removed from Parca after their transformation. Naomi's body currently serves as an intermediary for the personality in which these memories are found. Albeit temporarily.

So the Parca we know from the dream world and you two are separate entities. Correct?

Indeed. I'm neither spirit nor ghost, so please refrain from making the assumption that I have possessed your friend. My memories have simply filtered into her personality, allowing her to become Dianna.

I'd be lying if I said I understand. Just tell me this... Is Naomi okay?

I stare right into Naomi's- or rather, Dianna's- eyes. I don't care about her identity right now. Naomi's safety is my top priority.

Allow me to be honest. She was in a perilous state before my awakening.

Why, you...!

However! I can also say that she is very much safe in this current situation.

Did Lethe have something to do with this?

Dianna answers with a nod. However, a hint of sadness colors her expression as she continues.

I would rather not tarnish his image, so allow me to explain things in order. I, as Naomi, was reading the diary that Rinka allowed me to borrow. Doing so, in essence, dug up certain memories that had been overwritten by Divine Selection. The burden forced upon her by those memories caused her to lose consciousness.

While I don't understand it, she seems to think that this is an apt comparison... Imagine, if you will, a computer that has crashed by storing more data on it than it can contain. That is what happened to her.

So her brain... crashed?

She replies with another nod and then continues.

Leo- pardon, Lethe- had two options in order to save her. The first was to completely erase her memories of Divine Selection. The second was to lend a portion of his power to her until you succeed in eliminating Parca. Fate will be locked into place the moment you do so.

Following that, all that's required is to rid Naomi of her memories of the altered world. 'Twould allow her to retain those memories of the time spent with you while not placing any burden on her.

Why's Lethe so keen on helping her?

Ah, allow me to keep that a secret. Leo's quite the shy pussy, you see.

I already know the answer to Miharu's question. He just wants us to be happy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Naomi was posed with the question of whether or not she would be willing to lose her memories of Divine Selection. She showed no hesitation in her desire to retain them. However, Leo cannot lend his powers unconditionally. Temporary as it may be, lending his powers to a mortal no doubt conflicts with his own rules.

Hence, a restriction and a risk accompanied his choice. His power would be hers, but only if she accepted Dianna's memories along with it. The burden that comes with doing so serves as the risk, while the restriction would be placed on her personality. Any traits of her own personality will be filtered through me so long as this power is available to her.

So you're telling me that she was given even more memories to deal with? Wouldn't that just make things worse?

Quite so. Losing her life wasn't out of the question. A fact that Leo made sure to explain in detail, of course. Even so, Naomi's determination remained steadfast. Abandoning her memories of the time spent with you during Divine Selection was not an option.

Leo himself had no idea if she could bear the burden, I feel. Yet he placed his faith in her, much like she had in you.

Looks like she succeeded, judging by the results.

She did indeed.

That much is obvious, considering she regained consciousness. The issue is whether or not she'll regain her original personality, though. I press her to answer me.

Worry not. Myself and Parca are one in the same, so her elimination entails my own. All shall return to normal for Naomi after that. As mentioned earlier, her memories of the altered world will be erased alongside my own. This will provide her relief from the burden that previously plagued her.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that Parca succeeds and takes Rinka's body. What'll happen then?

Oh? I was given the impression that neither of you spared nary a thought for such an outcome.

Ahaha. Fair enough. She's right, isn't she, Rinka?

Yeah. Losing isn't an option for us.

Splendid. As you know, personal perception plays a key part in the world's structure. Thus, conviction in a certain outcome makes it more likely to come to pass. Now, then. I assume you've both come to realize Leo's true intentions behind granting Naomi my memories.

Both of us nod in sync. There's no way we wouldn't know at this point. We're missing one last piece of the puzzle in order to elect Parca. Her regret. Getting to the bottom of that won't be an issue with h-

I do look ever so forward to seeing what modern Japan has to offer.

...Huh?

Satisfy my curiosity and my regret shall be your reward.

Not to be rude, but that sounds awfully similar to what Parca's trying to accomplish.

Come, come. I was once human, after all. Rinka should know plenty about me after perusing my oh-so-personal diary.

Naomi stands, pinches her skirt, and curtsies. Exactly like how Parca does it.

…...

07/20 (FRI), Night
I breath a sigh of relief once I'm alone in my room. Things sure did escalate, but the important part is that Naomi's okay. What's more, we now have a surefire way to learn Parca's regret. Dianna said that Naomi accepted the most dangerous option of her own will. Can't say I find that hard to believe. She always was against the idea of losing her memories of the time she spent with us.

It'll work out... I hope.

There's no doubt that Lethe altered her memories at the time. The only reason he didn't do so completely was out of respect for Naomi's will. He shouldered the responsibility that comes with it despite owing us nothing, too. I'm the one that owes him, if anything.

Just then, I hear something thud against my door. I'm guessing it's Lethe. The door's half-open, so it should saunter in soon. Or so I think, but there's no sign of it.

Lethe...?

I open the door, figuring something's up.

And I am right on the mark. Lethe has collapsed right by my door.

BGM: WARNING
Lethe!

I scoop it up in a panic and gently set it down on my pillow. I grab a bowl of water as well and place it by its side.

Meow...

Its voice sounds so weak compared to usual. I can tell it isn't doing well just from a glance.

Should I take you to the hospital?

It shakes its head in response. I can assume that means no, considering it should be able to understand me. Normally I'd guess it's sick, but that can't be the case here. Instead, I think back to what Dianna discussed. Lethe split part of his power with Naomi. The same power he's been using to stay alive for so long. I can only assume that he, both in cat and human form, grows weaker the less of it he has available.

Thanks, Lethe. I can tell this isn't easy for you.

That said, I collapse onto my bed. This really serves to remind me how much I've been entrusted with.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Okay, seriously, this is getting ridiculous. There is just no tension left in the story. Naomi's weird possession is actually cool and good and will give Rinka everything she wants for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This story should have wrapped up somewhere around the original good/bad endings. This is so silly.