Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like Odette and her shark teeth.

Interesting mechanics of how the game works though. So no matter how much havoc one of the selected do it's all undone if they get elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

They're good shark teeth.

Though I'm starting to miss the less dysfunctional cast.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Odette really feels like she got isekai'd into this story from another from her artwork - it reminds me of Raging Loop the most, I think.

Edit - just wanting to let you know I've been loving your LPs, Mix. I only caught the last half of Birth ME Code, but binging through the prequel and the first half of the second game has made the last few days rather wonderful.

dervival fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 12, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

dervival posted:

Odette really feels like she got isekai'd into this story from another from her artwork

That's the feeling I was trying to describe! She feels really out of place.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Rinka's Room

05/13 (SUN), Night
Phew...

There's been no progress at all these past few weeks in regards to Divine Selection.

Once again, it should be pretty obvious which is the 'bad' choice here- Miharu is another participant in Divine Selection, and last we saw her things were pretty intense, so having her be the one we think about first is “more important”.

-As for things with Naomi...
-As for things with Miharu...

Nothing's really changed between me and Miharu ever since this whole thing started.

...That's not true.

There's actually been a significant change. I'm referring to the fact that we're both just acting as though nothing's changed. As for Naomi, I've been seeing her more and more recently. That's mainly due to my teaching her how to brew coffee for the culture festival. She's spilled boiling water and folded the filter wrong a good number of times, but fortunately, none of our cups have been broken... yet. That's likely due to the fact that she's aware how much my gran treasures them, so she takes extra care despite her inherent clumsiness.

Might as well go to bed.

I say this out loud for no reason. From what I can remember, I was taken to the dream world at midnight last time. Might as well go to sleep now if that'll happen again. I glance over to the clock, which says it's 11 p.m., and then I shut my eyes.

…...

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

05/13 (SUN), Midnight
I guess it doesn't matter whether I'm awake or asleep.

I find myself in the Court of Fate once again... It's as impressive as ever. And as I figured, it doesn't matter whether or not I'm asleep when the time comes.

To my left is Miharu, and to my right is that middle-eastern man. I take brief glances at both their faces, opting to not engage with either of them. Part of me is afraid of that man. He doesn't seem fazed by the fact that he eliminated someone last time. I can't imagine I'd remain that stoic, knowing I'd just stolen someone's future from them.

None of the other participants speak to each other. Instead, we allow an oppressive silence to rule the court.

Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate.

The one to break that silence is none other than the girl we've all grown familiar with. She stands in the middle of the court, her posture as elegant as ever. I'm fairly sure she wasn't here when I arrived, and yet she's here now. I assume this is what it'd feel like if you saw someone teleport in front of you. She actually might be teleporting, though, assuming that whole thing about being a goddess is true.

I see your spirits are still rather high, much to my disappointment. Has the reality of your deaths yet to hit you?

Just hearing her speak helps convince me that she's not lying about being a goddess. You can tell she's looking down on us based on her ruthlessness, which somehow seems fitting for a goddess. I've definitely re-evaluated my thoughts on her over this past week.

Very well, then allow us to begin tonight's election.

She softly announces the beginning of the end.

Revolve, O' Clock of Fate!

BGM: Do You Understand?

In response to her command, the hands on the clock begin to move. The long minute hand points at me. I didn't notice during the first round thanks to my circumstances, but this is basically the method of confirming whether or not a participant wants to elect someone.

I'll pass...

Miharu opts not to elect anyone as well.

The man appointed as Numeral III does the same. He's tall and wears a suit. I assume he's European, based on his facial features.

That reminds me, how is it determined what we'll be wearing while here? I sincerely doubt he'd be sleeping in a suit, so did he get brought here while awake? Not like what you're wearing at the time reflects what you'll be wearing here, either. The fact that I'm wearing my school uniform despite going to bed in my pajamas proves that. As for Miharu... she's also in her uniform. This outfit doesn't stand out too much, so I doubt anyone could identify it without taking a picture first, but that doesn't change the fact that info on me is out in the open. I can't do anything about it so long as I don't understand how to influence my appearance, though.

Putting that aside, I take a look at all the other participants again.

Out of everyone, Numeral VII is the only one who's visibly distressed. Maybe Parca was just acting cynical before. There's no doubt that he'll be elected tonight. I'm sure that's what everyone else is thinking, too. There's likely nothing in common between us all other than that juncture of causality thing Parca mentioned before. Our ages, gender, and nationality are all over the place.

Numerals IV and X are younger than me, even. Both are girls, and foreigners from what I can tell. Why did kids as young as them have to die? The fact that I can only come to know the reason through eliminating them is nauseating.

Before I know it, the clock hands make their way around to Numeral XI. It's a tall woman built almost like a sports athelete. Not only are her legs nice and long, but her chest is sizeable, as well. You can tell there's no way in the world that she's Japanese based on her looks. I'm normally jealous of tall people because of my height, but even I know it's impossible for me to ever look like that.

A clock hand stops in front of her.

Ahhh...

I feel like our eyes meet all of a sudden- probably because I've been staring at her for so long.

Eek.

I avert my eyes immediately. I don't know why, but my instincts are telling me to fear her. She's not normal. Not just because of her build. There's something... fundamentally different between her and regular people like me. It's a different kind of fear than the one I feel in relation to Numeral XII, too.

Part of me gets worried that I am about to be elected, but as I expect, she goes straight for Numeral VII. The small hour hand spins to point toward him. The platforms both of them are standing on begin to emit an odd light. After that, the minute hand shifts to Numeral XII, who simply shakes his head. Looks like he's not electing anyone tonight.

BGM: Silence

Numeral XI elects Numeral VII. Very well.

Parca smiles once the longer hand finishes making its way around. That's not the face one should normally make when they know someone is about to be eliminated. Both of their platforms start to move and gradually rise above us. The same thing happened last time, too.

Only one of them will return...

I take my eyes off the rising platforms after muttering that. It doesn't take long for them to finish.

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

Also as I expect, it's the woman who returns. She reports the results to Parca, her expression one of obvious displeasure.

I got Numeral V's name. Tch... That drat geezer was a wuss right until the end.

Numeral V looks like the oldest of us all. He's most likely Japanese. He doesn't react when she mentions that she's learned his name, although he might just be feigning indifference. In fact, the woman seems to be more transparent with her emotions than him. She's the complete opposite of Numeral XII when he elected and eliminated someone. While he displayed no emotion at all, she's openly annoyed, but deep down she seems to be enjoying this. She reminds me of a kid who gets angry when they lose a game, but secretly enjoyed the experience.

Tonight's session resulted in one elimination. I bid you all farewell for now.

I want some more time to observe things here, but Parca brings an end to tonight's round without a moment's hesitation. Unlike the first round, I've come away from this one having learned a lot more. Unfortunately, that only serves to give me an even worse feeling about the days to come.

[END OF WEEK TWO: WISHES UNGRANTED]

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Chilling With Sidekicks

05/14 (MON), Noon
By the time Odette eliminates Ro, morning has come. I can't even remember whether I was awake or asleep when we got taken into the dream world. It's partially due to the fact that I didn't take the time difference between here and Japan into account, but from now on, I should make sure to remain more alert on Sundays. Once we've gotten ready to leave, we call on room service to bring us up some breakfast.

So in the end, what was Ro's regret?

Huh. Figured you'd have known by now. You even mentioned it yourself.

I did?

I think back to my previous suggestions, albeit without much confidence.

So it had something to do with his lover?

Oh, boy. You really don't have a clue.

She gulps down the rest of her Americano before continuing. Gotta say, she really likes espresso-based drinks, doesn't she?

Dog-related.

...Dog? You don't mean...?

Yes and no. A dog, but not his lover's. He wanted to raise one. To be there for it as a pup, to become best friends with it as it grows older, and to be by its side during its last moments. Sounds mundane, but few people are able to experience something like that.

Part of me finds it hard to believe that someone can have that much regret over a dog.

C'mon, everyone has their own priorities. Ain't it normal to have a pet or two where you're from?

Where I'm from, huh...?

I'm not fond of having to talk about myself, so I try to shift topics.

Mind if I ask how you figured that out?

I thought it might be the case when you mentioned that his lover had a dog of her own. Did a bit of digging after that, and bingo. Turns out his wife has dog allergies, so... no surprise he couldn't own one.

She spills every last bean on his personal life after that. His parents, who lived in the countryside, had a dog back when he lived with them during his youth. That dog was killed in a traffic accident, though. His family refused to get another pet after that, since the sudden shock that came from losing it was too much for them. And that led to the birth of Ro's great regret.

He wished he could've been there for his family dog's final moments.

I can get where he's coming from, but I just can't imagine it turning into your life's biggest regret.

She scoffs in response. Believe it or not, but this brute actually has a soft spot for animals. Hell, her ultimate regret might be dog-related as well. Not like you can keep a pet when you're always out to sea. Either way, the discussion moves away from Ro shortly after that.

Over the course of his life, he kept too busy and was too financially unstable to own a pet, and once he got married and settled down, he discovered that his wife had allergies. Guess we'll never know whether or not he convinced his lover to get a dog because of that, or if he went with her because she already owned one. Hell, she could've just been some lady he hired to look after his secret pet dog. Odette's the only one with those answers now.

Oh, well. Probably shouldn't concern myself with someone who's been eliminated.

Oh! What'd the news have to say about him?

The goddess said that anyone eliminated during Divine Selection would have the reversal of their deaths undone. Not only that, but any events linked to that time period would also be undone.

See for yourself.

She flings her smartphone across the table to me in response. I don't even need to browse the web based on her reaction, so I give a casual glance towards the screen before handing it back.

“Two weeks ago, an executive for a well-known Chinese corporation suffered a stroke during a meeting and died.” Yeah, sounds about right. Speaking of which, you were taken up above the Court of Fate when you elected Ro, right? What's it like up there?

I'm starting to find myself curious about how the election process works.

Hmm... Well, it's a bit of a pain to explain, but I guess it'll be worth it for you to know down the road.

She doesn't seem too sure at first, but she decides to take the time to give me a primer. ...And a pretty long primer at that, even for someone who talks as much as she does.

…...

BGM: Do You Understand?

The circular platforms both Odette and Ro were standing on began to rotate as they were raised above the Court of Fate. Upon reaching a certain height, they stopped ascending. The layout of the upper area was similar to the lower stratum, but parts of it felt... different, somehow. The goddess, displaying her usual wry smile, had made her own ascent before either participant could blink.

Do proceed.

After ascending, all the cards in Odette's possession sprung out from her book at once. A strange light surrounded them, masking both their number and contents from everyone's view except Odette's.

So... uh, do I just say what info I have on him out loud?

You wretched wench...!

Do as you please with the cards in your possession.

Odette's eyes scanned across the cards in front of her. She currently had nine cards, including her own. Among them were three specific cards she needed to read aloud. She brushes her fingers against them before speaking.

BGM: Fated Selection

Ro Chanho.

Please, don't... I'm begging you!

Cause of death- a stroke.

You realize that I have a family, don't you? How do you plan to account for them after killing me? Cease this nonsense now, and I can recompense you handsomely. Money, stocks, or even land! You name it and I can provide it!

Christ, you're pathetic.

...Please, I'll give you as much as you want. I'll even give you access to my credit details. You'll never have to work another day in your life.

His regret... was his dog.

It's over... It's all over...

Sorry, but you can't put a price on my life. And more importantly, when it comes to competitions, I'm always in it to win it.

Once Odette finished, three of her cards floated away from her. After reaching the middle of the Court of Fate, they came together and formed a triangular shape.

Nice knowin' ya, geezer.

Who knows whether or not he could hear her last words to him. He simply hung his head in despair, realizing that his fate had been sealed. One by one, Odette's cards began to emit a white light.

May fortune shine on the departed.

Said light got brighter and brighter, until it eventually blanketed the entire area. And then it happened. In the brief moment that Odette's vision was blinded by the light enveloping the area, her consciousness was overtaken by an unfamiliar scene. Her senses were linked to the scene, as well.

…...

BGM: Fall Into...

She witnessed a number of old, chubby men- all are wearing expensive suits and sitting in an oddly bright room. Their faces were all twisted into expressions of boredom. The artificial lighting in the room was almost blinding when it reflected off the documents they had brought along. It was apparent that they were holding some sort of meeting. She could tell it was one of great importance, judging by the tone of their voices. However, she was unable to hear the details of their conversation. Some manner of interference prevented her from doing so.

And then the unexpected struck. All of a sudden, her vision went blurry. Next, her face slammed down on the table with a thud. She was unable to muster the strength to move her body whatsoever. She collapsed down onto the floor. The unclear voices were now clearly being directed toward her.

Eventually, her consciousness faded as she lost all bodily sensation. A stream of memories followed... All manner of people were talking to her, but it was impossible to make out a single word they were saying. Regardless, the sense of disconnect she felt at that moment made it clear what was going on.

U...gh...

These were Ro's memories. Memories of the moment he died, engraved upon his very soul. As he drew his last breath, Ro's thoughts were of his dog that died when he was young.

By the time the flashback ended, Ro had disappeared from Odette's sight. The cards she used to elect him did the same, and the room returned to its usual gloomy atmosphere. One thing she noticed was that the beam of light that shone from above had grown thicker, although she wasn't sure whether or not it was just her imagination.

So the electors are forced to experience the death of the elected, huh? You sure are messed up in the head, aren't you?

Heh.

Parca opted to respond with nothing beyond her wry smile. In her hand were three cards. Odette realized that these were the cards that were in Ro's possession.

Numeral V's name, Numeral XI's name, or Numeral XI's cause of death. Which would you like?

The platform on which Odette stood began to move soon after Parca asked her question.

Do take your time to think about it while we descend.

Ain't much of a choice, is it?

While she had imagined this outcome, the fact that she was so on the money left her visibly annoyed. Following that, both her and Parca returned to the lower floor of the Court of Fate.

…...

Well, well...

I try to imagine everything she's just explained to me. Basically, you're forced to experience the same death as those you eliminate.

Man, that's freaky. That Parca girl sure is cruel, despite appearances.

You think? I found the whole thing pretty exciting.

In response, I make sure to sigh loudly enough for her to hear it. She keeps babbling on without a care in the world, though.

More importantly, we're heading to Japan next.

Might as well, considering we'll need to get there at some point. It's an especially good time to go now, what with that new card you got belonging to a Japanese guy and all. A super old guy, at that.

Yup. Let's head out after we finish this grub.

It finally feels like the second round's over, now that we've decided our next move. Washing down the last flaky bits of my croissant with some milk, I stand up and get ready to leave.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

III – Name – Federico Carminati
VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Cause of Death – Stroke
VII – Regret – Dog
XI – Name – Odette Malenchon

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Double update because normally I'd have these together in one if it weren't for the week breakup :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Powerless

05/14 (MON), Morning
Huff, huff...

This morning brings memories of another nightmare with it. The second round of Divine Selection has taken place. By this point, I've already accepted that I am a participant. The fact that I'm alive right now makes it hard to comprehend the reality of my own death, but it's no longer about whether or not I believe it. Rather, the events that've taken place so far are starting to get to me because they feel so detached from my own personal life.

Divine Selection's grinding along, and two people have been eliminated without any influence from me whatsoever. I keep telling myself that they had died over two weeks ago. But I can't forget the faces I saw in the Court of Fate. That alone is enough to make my heart ache. I... don't want to die. Not having access to my own cards is frustrating, too. There's one major reason behind my reluctance regarding all this, and it's the fact that I don't know what my own regret is.

I still haven't sorted things out with Miharu, but it's entirely possible that we could both be eliminated while preoccupied with that. As afraid as I am of both the woman from last night and the guy from the first round, not to mention everyone else, I'm not about to go down without a fight.

My first and foremost priority...

I have three cards at the moment. If I'm going to do any digging, it needs to start with the people these belong to. I look up that Federico Carminati person after I finish collecting my thoughts. As expected, no useful information. All I learn is that it's a common name in Italy. The other two cards provide me with a cause of death for Numeral IV and a regret for Numeral IX. All I know about them is that they seem to be foreigners.

Where am I even meant to start?

After a big sigh, I set about my morning routine. There's always the possibility that the other participants don't know anything about me. Doesn't mean I can waste my time, though. My own name card was among those distributed at the beginning, which means it's only a matter of time until someone puts two and two together.

One thing that has me curious is Numeral IV's cause of death. Much like me, their card says they died in a fire. From what I recall, Numeral IV is a boy from abroad. Of course, there's no guarantee that he got caught up in the very same situation as me. Much like how there's no guarantee that I simply died from the fire itself. In fact, I still don't recall how one broke out on the train in the first place. There are plenty of possibilities, from a simple accident to an intentional terrorist attack, but there's no way for me to find out when the act has been undone. In other words, all I've got going for me is my memory.

Ahh, screw this.

No point in forcing myself to try and remember. Especially when there's a near-zero chance of a hint magically appearing to help me out. I make my way downstairs, have some bread, and then head to school.

…...

BGM: At Amecha Girls' University High School

05/14 (MON), Noon
Phew! Lunch time, at last. Did you bring your own?

Mao and Miharu stroll over to my seat when the bell chimes for lunch. I had planned on going to the cafeteria on my own, but Mao catches me just in time. We probably would've eaten separately if she hadn't, considering my mind is a little preoccupied. So much for trying to go about life as usual.

Yeah. I was just about to head over to the cafeteria.

Actually, I overslept a bit this morning, so I didn't have time to make my own lunch.

Overslept, huh...?

Obviously, I won't ask if that was thanks to being in the dream world.

Sure is rare for you to oversleep. Either way, full speed ahead to the cafeteria!

…..

The university on campus has its own cafeteria, which is open for our use as well. Middle schoolers aren't allowed to use it, but once you hit high school, it's fair game. Since it's a little awkward hanging around all the university students, most of us tend to buy our food and then go eat it somewhere else. That goes double for us, considering how much we stand out.

That being the case, we make our way to the rooftop after getting our food.

Ooh, we've got it all to ourselves today.

The rooftop is usually crowsed with students on days like this, but fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case today.

What'd you two get?

A ham sandwich. It's simple, but it does the job. Not to mention nice and cheap.

Uh, you sure that's gonna be enough?

I could ask you the same. Yakisoba bread and anpan isn't much more filling than what I have.

Hey, now. I got some coffee milk as well, so in terms of calories, I'm miles ahead of you.

She jams a straw into the carton with a triumphant grin. It's a 16-ounce carton, too. I'd probably struggle to finish it before lunchtime ends.

Why is calorie counting a competition now?

Uh... to see who gains weight the fastest?

Please find something better to compete in...

It wouldn't hurt you to put on a little more weight.

...I'd appreciate you not saying such things while ogling my chest.

Yowza.

Much as I am aware of my... depressing reality, I'd rather not have her remind me of it. Especially with Miharu sitting right beside me.

What did you get, Rinka?

...A tonkatsu sandwich.

Welp, guess we've got our winner. You're on the prowl for calories too, huh?

I'm certainly not competing over it.

Mao asks for a bite as I unwrap the packaging. Trust her to do so before I can get a bite in myself. I float the sandwich close to her mouth, which prompts her to chomp down on it.

Aww, I didn't get any of the tonkatsu from that bite...

You really do take small bites, don't yo- What's wrong, Miharu?

She's staring at Mao with a blank expression.

Well, uh... maybe she wants a bite, as well?

Wanna trade for your ham sandwich? I'll give you the part Mao didn't take a bite out of.

No, it's fine. I don't particularly like fried food in the first place.

Please accept my humble apologies.

Mao presents her yakisoba bread as an offering to Miharu after apologizing. Unsurprisingly, Miharu turns her down, which elicits a laugh from her. Honestly, what a silly conversation. At the same time, it serves to remind me that moments like this are a regular part of my daily life.

...Rinka?

What's up?

Oh, sorry. Guess I spaced out for a second there.

That said, I go back to eating my lunch. We keep chatting away like usual on the rooftop until just before lunchtime ends.

…...

05/14 (MON), Evening
After the final period of the day, I hear someone call out to me as I'm tidying up my desk.

Rinka?

Oh hey, Naomi.

Turns out to be Naomi. The culture festival isn't far off at this point, so it's about time she starts teaching her classmates how to brew coffee themselves. That's why we've made a deal to have her come over to Lion House as much as possible this week. She normally waits for me at the gate, so it's kind of suprising to see her come straight to my classroom.

Now that I think about it, will everything I'm teaching Naomi right now be undone if I get eliminated? Based on what Parca said, it's all but guaranteed. If that's true, then why am I even bothering...?

Is something wrong?

Sorry, it's nothing.

I can't keep acting like this. Mao caught me spacing out earlier today, too.

Sorry for the wait. Let's go.

Rinka...

Miharu stops me as I'm standing up.

Hmm? What's up?

Are you going home with her?

Yup. She'll be practicing her brewing skills again today.

Once again, it's kind of obvious which is the “good” option- and we should always be accomodating, so let's invite her to join us! :v:

-Do you want to join?
-I take it you're going to work?

Want to join us? Assuming you're free, of course.

Not like there'll be many customers in the first place, and I'm all for us hanging out together. At first she looks happy about the offer, but it quickly shifts to disappointment.

As much as I'd love to, I have work today. ...But I might be able to get someone to fill in for me if I ask right now.

She whips her phone out to check mid-sentence.

N-No need to cancel work for this. All we'd do is chat anyway, so let's do it another time.

Yeah, that sounds good. No takebacks, okay?

Her tone is a bit poignant. Not that I blame her. It's entirely possible one of us could be eliminated during the next round. I leave the classroom after saying goodbye to Miharu.

I'm sure Mao would've tagged along, but it seems like she's busy with something else today, as well. While on our way to Lion House, Naomi blurts out something I don't expect.

I should probably apologize to her later.

To Miharu? Why?

Well... It seemed like she wanted to talk to you about something in private...

Well, I wish she could've come, but there's not much you can do about her having to go to work. Don't blame yourself.

Th-That's not quite what I meant, though...

Oh, so what made you come meet me in my classroom today?

I figured it would be best to meet with you as soon as possible, but I'll make sure to wait for you at the gate from tomorrow on.

Huh? Why?

Naomi struggles to find the words that answer my question. After a number of false starts, she simply tells me, “Never mind!” It's worth noting that she actually seems a bit aggravated- a rarity for her.

…...

BGM: W i H g L n (Dark Side of Hers)

Unbeknownst to both Rinka and Naomi, there is a girl secretly watching them from the school gate. It was Mishima Miharu, known at Amecha High for her looks and admission via scholarship.

To many, she is the embodiment of perfection. However, this perception has made her somewhat difficult to approach for them. Especially now, as tears stream down her cheeks for all to see. A scenario likely to become the locus of many rumors, if it involved anyone other than Miharu. In fact, it is such an unusual sight that no one will dare mention it at all.

Yo, Miharun. Didn't think you'd still be here.

Amongst the crowd of students pretending they haven't seen anything, Oguma Mao is the only one to address her. Her attitude remains consistent, even in the presence of her friend crying without uttering a word. Miharu's focus never shifts, despite Mao's presence. As such, Mao follows her line of sight, only to give a sage nod after seeing the two figures it lead to.

So that's what it is.

Hey, Mao?

Hmm?

If I were to die, I'd want it to be from having earned Rinka's love.

Her voice quivers as she says this to Mao. Her words lack even the slightest hint of exaggeration. Mao is well aware that she has simply let her true feelings slip out. Miharu's words fail to faze her. She responds as she always does.

Welp, guess you can't die just yet.

She opts not to wait for Miharu's reply and walks off. And not because she doesn't care. She understands that Miharu sees no merit in sitting down to hash things out, or go and sing karaoke to shout those inner feelings out loud. Instead, she leaves Miharu to digest those simple words. Miharu doesn't think of Mao as being cold for doing so, either. In fact, she feels absolutely nothing at all about her.

The only thing in her heart is Rinka, who gradually sinks into the horizon.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Updates to this story is a high point to my week. I love this game.

I am still amazed at how much effort was put into Rinkas design. And I'm also not convinced that Odette is human.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Lion House Cafe

05/14 (MON), Evening
Hello...

You realize no one else works here, right?

Naomi drops her things off at the counter before donning the apron she's brought from home. I fill in the regulars about the culture festival and tell them not to worry about Naomi's presence. In exchange for my teaching her, she's offered to help out with dish-washing and other simple tasks for around an hour or so. I've told her not to bother, but she insists on it. It's gotten to the point where it'd feel rude to keep turning her down, so we've decided on a time for her to help me out.

Here's how things typically go when Naomi's around: We open at 4 p.m. on weekdays, and the hour or so after that, it's either completely dead or we have very few customers inside. That's when we either brew some coffee together, or she reads up on different types of coffee beans. The latter is more out of personal interest than anything else, since it won't come in handy for the culture festival.

Around 6 p.m., the regulars who are just finishing up work start dropping by, so that's when I have her help out for an hour. Afterwards, she kills some time either studying or reading books. Sometimes we chat when I've got the time, too. That's how things went last week, anyway.

Right, let's get started.

Oh, can I show you something first?

She takes something out of her bag after I nod. It's a transparent plastic bag. Inside are a number of cookies, made in the shapes of stars and hearts.

Oh, these are cute.

They're, um... my way of saying thanks. I made them at home yesterday.

I untie the red ribbon after she hands me the bag. A sweet smell wafts through the room as soon as I do.

Would you like to have some together after we brew coffee? A-Assuming you're fine with sweet things, of course.

...I'd love to, thanks.

I tie the bag back up to prevent the cookies from getting splashed with water while we're brewing.

Ehehe! I even made sure to use your favorite color for the ribbon.

Huh? How'd you know that?

Wow. You actually thought I wouldn't have known?

Leaving the cookies somewhere visible, I start the brewing process.

Yup. You've got this down pretty well now. You should be able to teach the others, no problem.

No way... I'd much rather practice some more. This may be a method for beginners, but... we know how clumsy I can be.

She can act as humble as she wants, but it's a fact that she's improving. I'm rather impressed by how well she manages it when she's properly focused. I wouldn't be surprised if she shot right ahead of me, if it were my gran teaching her.

This feels like a good time for a break. I've been looking forward to those cookies of yours.

We have no customers right now, so it's the perfect moment to take a break. Can't say for sure if that's a good or bad thing, though.

It's hard to see with the text box in the way, but...

...Naomi's cookies are on the saucer for the rest of this scene now. :3:

I place the cookies onto a plate and carry them over to our usual seats, along with some coffee. After appreciating how great they look, I finally take a bite.

Ulp!

Someone hits Naomi's panic button as she awaits my reaction.

These... are great.

I'm not good at making dramatic reactions, so this is the best I can do. Naomi's eyes shimmer with an excitement that matches her beaming smile.

What a relief...

I have a sip of my coffee before taking another bite.

Oh, actually...

I-Is something the matter?

These pair with coffee quite well, don't they? I'm struggling to find a reason why, though...

Yes! I made them with extra butter so they would complement the bitter coffee you make.

She lets out another sigh of relief, brushing her hand down her chest.

I'm so glad you like them...

There's no way I wouldn't when you went and made them for me.

There are a few too many for me to eat alone, so we end up eating them together. Baking sweets is apparently one of her favorite pastimes. She can bake a whole bunch of things, but cookies seem to be her specialty. It reminds me that my gran used to bake cookies as well. Granted, the taste was completely different from these. These are simple and mellow, much like Naomi. But at the same time,t hey don't feel as if they were made by someone not used to baking.

An idea hits me once we're about halfway through the plate.

Would you mind teaching me how to bake these?

Our customers would probably be thrilled to see more sweets on the menu. Learning directly from Naomi rather than trying to do so on my own is a much more realistic approach, too. And most importantly, I want our regulars to taste just how good these are. However... I can't help but remember Divine Selection when Naomi stares at me in utter amazement. Even if she does teach me, it'll all be for nothing if I get eliminated.

Sorry, forget I asked.

There's no way I can tell her about the possibility of me dying, but I am awfully close to doing so. There's definitely a part of me that figures I could lift some of the weight off my shoulders if I told someone about all this.

BGM: A Dot on a Piece of Paper

Why?

Her overjoyed expression quickly clouds over as she draws her face close to mine. I must look like I am mulling something over, so I rush to find a way to respond.

...I can't keep taking up your time like this. Things can't continue this way forev-

That's not what you're really thinking, is it?

Huh...?

Besides, I'm the one who asked you to teach me first. That, and well.. Um...

She struggles a bit before continuing.

Sorry, I'm just... not quite sure how to put this.

Don't worry about it.

...I want us to keep spending time together.

Her eyes immediately shoot to the floor, almost as if she's let the words fall out by accident.

Sorry. Something about me has been... strange lately.

You might just be tired after I made you do stuff you're not used to. Want to head home for today?

That's... That's not it.

She takes a small breath, raises her head back up, and looks me dead in the eyes. Her expression is almost oppressive.

Forgive me for asking out of the blue, but... could you hear me out for a moment?

...Sure.

BGM: WARNING

I've been having an awful nightmare a lot lately.

A nightmare...?

Yes. It always starts out normal, with the two of us getting on the train and chatting away... But then... a fire breaks out all of a sudden... The flames spread throughout the entire train, and the heat alone makes it painful to breathe... But then, you dive in front of me... and shield me from the flames, only to be engulfed by them in my place...

She pauses a number of times while she talks. Her voice gradually gets more and more agitated.

After that, I... I can only watch as they kill you...!

...Do you remember when you started having this dream?

She shakes her head, which has turned to face the floor again, and then answers.

I don't remember exactly, but... it might've been ever since I first came here with you.

Why didn't you tell me sooner? Sorry, I don't mean to sound angry, but... if coming here is causing you undue stress, then...

That's not it at all! I love spending time with you and brewing coffee together! Doing so helps me to understand that it's just a dream, nothing more. It's just that... I hate seeing you die in front of my eyes, even in a dream! I'd never, ever want to see that... Never...

Her voice falters on her final word. I can see the tears welling up in her eyes.

I keep having this same dream... over and over...

That's-

That's not a dream. There's no doubt that what she's seeing is the cause of my death. A number of questions pop up in my head, but most of all, I'm flat-out shocked. I never would have guessed that she's been having a dream like that, based on her attitude. Especially when my own memory of the event is fuzzy, at best.

Don't worry, Naomi. It's okay. I'm right here.

There's still so much more I want to do together, with you, Rinka... I want to bake cookies... I want to go to the theme park again... So you... you won't die all of a sudden, will you?

I can't force myself to nod in response. After all, I'd already be dead if it weren't for Divine Selection. What she's dreaming about actually took place. It's just been “undone” for the time being. It makes me wonder... When Parca said our deaths had been undone, did she mean that the world's memories of the events themselves had been undone? I can't wrap my mind around how such a thing could even be possible.

However, the fact of the matter is that Naomi's memory of my death is so deeply ingrained in her being that she's reliving it over and over in her dreams.

Please, answer me...

Sorry...

Oh, no... I didn't want you to apologize... but, well... I do want an answer to my question. So long as you do that, I'm sure I'll be fine, even if I have the same dream again.

Sorry, but I...

I desperately hold myself back from saying something I'll regret. I'm far worse at lying than I thought, judging by how I keep apologizing and evade the question. Her head is cast downward, but her eyes are glancing up at me. The tears in her eyes are a lot more obvious than before.

And it's my fault that she's crying.

If there's anything on your mind, then please talk to me about it... The last thing I want is for you to just... disappear someday...

She says this with a resolute voice, despite her eyes being filled with tears. It just makes my heart ache all the more, though. She's likely to be haunted by that dream for a long time, assuming I keep the truth from her. And yet, telling her won't change the fact that I'm a participant. What's worse, I may even get her caught up in something dangerous if she decides she wants to try and help me out.

I can't say for sure how dangerous this whole situation is, but at the very least, I want to make sure she never comes in contact with those people from the dream world. Most of all, I'd have to reveal the fact that Miharu's also a participant, and that only one of us will make it through the whole thing alive. Keeping her in the dark would mean I don't burden her with my situation.

Actually, there's something I need to tell you, too.

Huh...?

This might worry you even more... In fact, you might not even believe me. That said, will you listen to what I have to say?

Of course.

She answers without hesitation. Just as I'm about to start my explanation, the chime on the door rings.

Sorry. Can we stop here until tomorrow?

Do you mind if I wait until you close for the night?

I'd hate to keep you here that long. Besides, I think it's better if we take a breather. Don't worry, I promise I'll tell you after school tomorrow.

Okay.

She nods enthusiastically, and then helps put the tableware away. She leaves as I get back to work. Meanwhile, I try to focus on my work as much as possible to distract myself from my own uneasiness.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It sure would suck a bunch if you were like...Numinously Nominated or something, Rinka ol' buddy ol' pal

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Oh, yes, this is one of her cards just being spoken out loud over and over again. She needs to pay attention.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Miharu

05/15 (TUE), Morning
Good morning.

G-Good morning.

Miharu's already here when I get to school. She gives me her usual smile before she continues.

…...

05/15 (TUE), Evening
Rinka...!

Naomi comes running over to me from the gate.

Oops..!

Uh oh...

She almost trips in her haste, but she manages to catch herself. Seems like she's just as clumsy as ever when she lets her guard down. She's been waiting for me at the school gate, just like she said she would yesterday. There's little point in her coming all the way to my classroom anyway, considering it's a big detour for her.

Sorry for the wait. Mind if we go somewhere else to talk? There's a nice place near Lion House.

We're not going to Lion House, then?

Nah. The weather's nice today, so might as well be outside.

Okay!

Following that, we both made our way to the station.

…...

BGM: Town

One transfer from Shinjuku to the metro and two stops later, you'll find this park. There's an entrance fee, but it's fairly inexpensive. It's one of the biggest parks in Tokyo, and was apparently an old samurai's garden back in the day. I'm not sure why, but it was restructured to resemble a mix between Japanese, English, and French parks. There are normally tourists all over the place, but it's a lot less busy on weekdays. That makes it ideal for a change of pace.

I came here a lot when I was a kid. There's one place in particular that I really enjoyed visiting.

Is... this where you wanted to come?

It's nice, isn't it?

There's a sole small bench in the middle of the garden. We sit down there, taking in the surroundings and the clock tower-esque building in the distance. Few buildings in Shinjuku stand out as much as that one. Part of me wants to say it's the building for a telephone company. The sound of the greenery whispering in the wind is nice and relaxing.

Huh...

An odd sensation washes over me out of nowhere. It makes me wonder whether or not I've actually been here before. But I'm sure of it. I know I've been here plenty of times as a kid.

Rinka...?

Oh, sorry. I'm fine.

I take a deep breath and get ready to tell her all about Divine Selection.

So... where do I even begin? I guess it doesn't matter when it'll sound like I'm making it all up anyway.

…...

Rinka...

She utters my name in a painful manner once I finish telling her everything. She started to get teary-eyed midway, but I kept going. I doubt she would want me to stop without painting her the whole picture. She nodded attentively from beginning to end, as if to reassure me that the decision to tell her was the right one.

I knew something was weird all along... You were speaking fluent English despite not knowing the language at all when we first talked about that book. Everything started ever since then...

But you are alive, Rinka. I can tell you that much as a fact.

Saying that, she takes my hand in hers. The surface of her hand is cold, but I can feel her warmth underneath. There's no doubt the same goes for me. That warmth serves as proof that I'm alive.

Yeah, I know, but... Well, it seems like that shouldn't be the case.

I'm sorry for saying what I did without understanding the situation you're in.

Not like I would expect you to, considering I never mentioned it.

She doesn't doubt what I have to say for a second. Chances are that my cause of death lines up with her dream so much that she has no choice but to believe it. It gives her an answer as to why she's having that dream too, although it does nothing to resolve the situation at hand...

Not only are you in this situation, but Miharu as well...

I wasn't sure whether or not I should tell her about Miharu, but I decided to do so in the end. On the one hand, there's no point in trying to keep certain things to myself; on the other, I simply gave into my desire to lighten my own burden.

What's more, she said she's prepared...

She's referring to Miharu's statement regarding her own participation. That she's willing to give her life for mine.

I... wouldn't be able to say the same if I were in her shoes.

Same here. I don't want Miharu to die, but I don't have it in me to willingly let her make it through, either... Two weeks have passed now, and I'm still not sure what I should do.

I don't think you can be blamed for that...

Another breeze blows through, catching our hair. It's a surprisingly cold breeze for this time of year. I can see the sunset off in the distance. The mixture of blue and orange on the horizon somehow resembles a wavering heart to me.

Miharu is... very stronghearted, isn't she?

Yeah, she is...

She's the complete opposite of me. She knows exactly what she wants to do, whereas I'm sitting here unable to make any sort of decision. She might have already gotten started on gathering info based on the cards she's received. In fact, I'm certain she has. The determination in her eyes makes it apparent. Her attitude at school isn't any different from usual, but that's just further proof of her resolve.

There's no doubt she's doing as much research as she can elsewhere. And she's doing it all for my sake. I'd say that all the time she's been spending at work lately was just a front for said research, but that'd be overthinking things. That's something she's been doing for a while now.

Thanks for hearing me out, Naomi. I feel a bit better having talked to someone about this. I still don't know how I should approach this whole situation, but for now, I'll just focus on going about life as usual for a bit longer.

Saying that, I get up off the bench. Or... I try to, but Naomi stops me by grabbing my sleeve.

Can you wait for five more minutes? I've come to a personal conclusion, myself.

A personal conclusion...?

She nods firmly in response.

BGM: Bonds

I want to help you, Rinka. Things can't continue like this. It may be somewhat selfish of me to say when I'm not in your shoes, but... You need to face reality. You can't keep running from it.

Running from it...?

It's not that I'm struggling to make a choice. I'm simply avoiding it altogether. Naomi makes sure to be as frank as possible with her words. And they turn my entire world upside-down. The reality that I've been running from, my responsibility to choose whether I'll live or die, finally sinks in. Before I know it, the sky has been dyed entirely in orange.

At the very least, I can help you gather information. I'll even be able to meet those other participants face-to-face, since they don't know who I am. Most importantly, though... I can help share the burden you've been pressured with.

Naomi...

Her words are filled to bursting with resolve.

There's nothing we can do to change the fact that it could come down to either you or Miharu making it through, but if you continue like this, things may end even before that...

Hey, Naomi. There's something I've just realized, myself.

She turns to face me, waiting for my follow-up comment. Having the truth put in front of me like that makes me realize what I'm most afraid of.

I'm terrified of what I have to do to make it through this. Not only Miharu, but I also have to eliminate others to ensure my own survival. Is my life even worth casting aside the lives of others for? I'm not too sure about that. I mean, I don't even know my own regret...

I've seen the expressions of those who were mere moments away from being elected. I wouldn't describe them as sad, angry, or even accepting. They simply looked powerless in the face of what was about to happen. Those were the faces of people who died without being able to fulfill what they wanted out of life. Meanwhile, I'm not sure if I have that much invested into anything to begin with. That's why part of me feels like my life isn't worth being saved in exchange for theirs.

Is it not enough that people like myself and Miharu want you to live? I can't say for sure whether or not eliminating others for your own sake is the right thing to do. What I can say, though, is that I don't want you to die- no matter what! If the idea of committing that sin scares you, then... at the very least... Share half of that responsibility with me.

Naomi... why would you go this far?

Why would she go this far for my sake?

Before everything was undone, you chose to prioritize my life over your own. That's the kind of person you are. But... that's irrelevant now. I'm willing to go this far because it's for you, Rinka. That's all there is to it.

Huh...? That's weird... Why do I... want to cry now...?

She turns her gaze towards the sky, desperately trying to fight back the tears that are ready to fall at any moment. It's a weird time to have a thought like this, but I can't help but consider just how vast the sky truly is. Naomi has nothing but praise for the coffee I make. She's made me realize that I am avoiding reality. That, and a number of other important things.

Promise me you won't do anything dangerous.

Huh...?

The tears have started to stream down her face by the time I say that.

I can't die from anything other than elimination during Divine Selection, but the same doesn't apply to you. Promise me that you won't do anything that'll put you at risk.

Unable to get the words out, she bites her lower lip and nods her head.

That being said, allow me to formally ask you. Naomi, will you please help me get through Divine Selection?

Th-There's no need for you to be so formal...

I extend my right hand to her, which she takes. Her nervousness melts away with the beaming smile she gives me afterwards. Her tear-stained cheeks serve as a nice contrast to that.

You really are a crybaby, aren't you?

Ahaha... And you could do with learning when it's okay to cry.

No need to tease me.

Her tears don't stop flowing, even though she's all smiles. Just then, the announcement comes that it is almost time for the park to close for the day. I take the opportunity to tell Naomi that I'll see her tomorrow, and then I make my way home.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/15 (TUE), Night
When I get back, I open up Lion House for a bit. After messaging Naomi during break time, I decide to keep the store closed tomorrow so we can focus on gathering intel and organizing our thoughts. I figure hitting up the library will be a good idea, since we'll have access to newspapers and the like, but considering I still don't know where to start, I decide it's best for us to meet up there first. We don't need to worry about keeping quiet there, at least.

I also make sure to ask Naomi not to tell anyone else about this. Part of me considers telling Mao at first since we're close friends, but considering she's known Miharu for far longer than Naomi, I decide it's best not to. It'd be far too much of a burden for her to bear, and the last thing I want is to ruin the relationship the three of us have right now.

Phew...

Thinking back on everything that's happened so far, I get ready to close shop for the day. Barely any customers have come around, so I only have to clean up a few things. I clean up those things, carry in the signboard and some plants from outside, and put out the trash. The door looks a bit dirty, too, so I make sure to wipe it down. While I'm wiping it, I hear footsteps heading my way. I don't pay them much mind, considering it's not rare for people to pass by at this time of night, but they stop right in front of the store.

Sorry, but we're closed for the-

Thinking it is a customer, I turn around to inform them that we're closed. But I stop mid-sentence when I see the woman to whom the footsteps belong. The moment I stand up straight, she grabs me by the shoulders, pushes me against the door, and then into the store.

So you're Shishimai Rinka!
Her VA is Morinaka Aoi; ironically, she's actually voiced a character in Future Diary (Naoko Kurusu), which is her most notable role besides a background character in Minami-ke Okaeri.

Her words come out loud and rapid. Her voice sounds like her throat is ready to explode. Her first impression makes her seem desperate, but I'd say she's more anxious than anything else. That's why her shouting actually helps me to approach the situation with heightened composure.

You're... Numeral VIII, I take it?

Rather than answering her question, I opt to shoot one right back at her. I don't know her name, but I recognize the face. She's one of the people I've seen in the dream world. Composed as I may seem, it's not enough to keep my nerves calm. I can feel myself working up a cold sweat. Even the most minor thing here could act as a hint for her, so I need to watch what I say.

Answer me!

She slams her hand against the door, closing the distance between us even more. And yet, I'm not afraid. Mainly because I keep in mind why she's so anxious in the first place. The only reason she's asking me is because she's not entirely sure that I am who she thinks I am. Meanwhile, Numeral XII gained her name card from the woman he eliminated during the first round, if memory serves.

Answer me! I've got your card, so I know you're Shishimai Rinka!

I don't doubt that I'd be panicking if this was Numeral XI or XII asking. But it's the same dread I feel from competing with people like them that allows me to remain calm here and now. Compared to them, she looks like your average woman. Slender and pretty, although you can tell she looks overtired. There's no doubt she's been getting little sleep. She's wearing what I believe is a shawl atop a hospital gown.

Tell me! What's your cause of death? What's your regret?

My silence makes her all the more agitated.

Was it suicide? An illness? School? Love? Answer me!

You need to calm down!

My patience starts to wear thin, which causes me to place my hands on her shoulders and shove her away from me. I must've pushed her a bit too hard, since she stumbles backward. She falls and lands on the hard concrete.

Oh... S-Sorry...

Hurk!

I apologize without thinking. Showing sympathy to other participants- my enemies, in other words- probably isn't the best idea.

Are you... okay?

I ask, but receive no answer. All she does is stare down at the ground and mutter something to herself.

I...

Following that, she collapses under her own weight.

Wh-whoa! Hey, are you all right? I... I need to call an ambulance!

No... I'm fine, so... don't call an ambulance... I can get back myself...

Fine is the last thing that comes to mind when I look at you...

Just... don't...

Her sentence trails off there. Judging by her steady breathing, she seems to have fallen asleep as opposed to having passed out. I spot the name of the hospital she was admitted to written on the hem of her gown. It's only a ten minute walk from here.

Ugh, fine...

She doesn't want to get in an ambulance for whatever reason, but I can't just leave her here. Fortunately, she's rather light, so I opt to give her a piggy-back ride.

...This is tougher than I thought it'd be.

After I lock the store up, I proceed to the hospital.

…...

When I arrive, the nurse I speak to showers me with praise. It's hardly surprising. I think most people would praise a highschooler who has obviously exhausted herself by carrying a patient all the way to a hospital in the middle of the night. The nurse wastes no time in taking her away, so I guess she really is a patient here.

Thanks to this, I manage to learn her name as well. Kamebuchi Keiko. While she's always had a frail disposition, things have gotten worse for her once she gave birth. I don't pry any deeper, but I doubt they would've told me much more. The only reason they told me as much as they did was to make sure I knew who it was that I helped out in the first place.

Actually, shouldn't that give me a new card...?

Parca mentioned that we'd obtain new cards whenever we discovered vital pieces of information in the real world.

Ah, right. I need the book.

Chances are I didn't get one because I don't have it with me. I'm aware of its importance, but I tend to leave it behind since it's heavy. Either way, I should leave, considering visiting hours have long passed. Curious as I am about Keiko, I make my way back home.

…...

Once I return to my room and get ready for bed, I take a seat at the table on which my book rests.

Well, this is new...

Little bits of light are pouring out from between the book's pages. Needless to say, this is the first time I've seen this happen. In the real world, no less. I take a moment to prepare myself, and then I open it up.

Whoa-

The moment I do, the light begins to rise above the book itself.

Wh-What's going on...?

All I can do is watch as it eventually congregates to one spot almost two feet above my table. It eventually molds itself into a rectangular shape. Well, to be more specific, the shape of a card. Once the transformation is complete, the light dissipates.

The card floats in mid-air for a brief moment before it quietly lays itself to rest atop the book.

So this is how new cards are made...

I can't hide my surprise over witnessing something like that happening in the real world. Something similar happened in the dream world, but it's a whole different experience when it happens in your own room. I pick up the newly formed card. It's exactly the same as the others I have, in terms of shape and make. The only difference is the content written on it.

VIII – Name – Kamebuchi Keiko

As expected, it's Keiko's name card. That's all, though,. I still don't know her cause of death and regret.

She was hospitalized after giving birth, right? In that case...

It has to be related to that. The first ailment that comes to mind from childbirth is-

Ouch.

My head starts to hurt all of a sudden. It doesn't take long for me to realize why, either. It's because I just remembered how desperate Keiko looked. The way she was acting earlier proved that her regret ran deeper than I could comprehend. What I'm doing right now is akin to walking all over that. The more I try to imagine the circumstances of her death, the worse the pounding in my head becomes.

That's when I remember Naomi's proposition to shoulder the burden along with me. I'm not prepared to handle this alone quite yet. Today's done a good job of showing me just how weak I am. Rather than thinking about this anymore, I turn my light off and choose to sleep instead.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka
IV – Cause of Death – Fire
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Now that we know her name, this card appears under Numeral XII's list, since we already know he obtained this card during the first Divine Selection when he eliminated Numeral VI :eng101:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I have so many feelings on this story. I don't know what I would do in Rinkas position.

My first impulse is just to hand my book to Miharu and hope the advantage is enough for her to win.

But on the other hand, she might not be able to do it alone without support. But this Russian roulette life just seems unbearable.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

I have so many feelings on this story. I don't know what I would do in Rinkas position.

My first impulse is just to hand my book to Miharu and hope the advantage is enough for her to win.

But on the other hand, she might not be able to do it alone without support. But this Russian roulette life just seems unbearable.

That’s a lot to put on Naomi too. And by “that” I mean “your charred corpse.” :(

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Dav posted:

That’s a lot to put on Naomi too. And by “that” I mean “your charred corpse.” :(

Yes. Other people are really the driving motivation here. Was Naomi on the train when Rinka died? Did she get hurt too?

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Mix. posted:

I've been having an awful nightmare a lot lately.

A nightmare...?

Yes. It always starts out normal, with the two of us getting on the train and chatting away... But then... a fire breaks out all of a sudden... The flames spread throughout the entire train, and the heat alone makes it painful to breathe... But then, you dive in front of me... and shield me from the flames, only to be engulfed by them in my place...

She pauses a number of times while she talks. Her voice gradually gets more and more agitated.

After that, I... I can only watch as they kill you...!

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
I admit to being rather confused by the undoing of that event.
Was Rinka really the only one that died there somehow? That seems awfully implausible.
If not, isn’t she playing for the lives of other people too?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
As far as I can guess, the entire event leading to Rinka's death was undone, meaning that everybody else who was on that train is currently alive, but will retroactively die when she is eliminated. That might actually be the reason why Naomi remembers the event, since she might have died in that fire as well. If this was true, keeping Naomi alive would give Rinka some much needed motivation.

Although this is a bit problematic here - there were two numerals on the train, Rinka and bomb girl. If either of them gets eliminated, what happens to the other people? If bomb girl dies, the bomb that killed Rinka will have been set off, so what will happen to Naomi then?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/16 (WED), Morning
Yo, Rinny!

Morning, Mao.

I notice Miharu getting ready for classes as usual when I arrive at school. Seeing her reminds me of the realization I came to yesterday, which prompts me to say something odd to Mao.

Miharu really is stronghearted, isn't she?

Hmm, you think? I'd say it's the opposite.

Her voice and tone are lower than usual.

Huh?

Anyway! Let's get back to the daily grind!

She returns to her usual self right away, almost as if to avoid continuing on with that topic.

…...

05/16 (WED), Evening
Once school has ended, I meet up with Naomi before heading over to the library on our way back to Lion House. Fortunately, the library's only five minutes from Lion House, and on the very same path I took to get to the hospital last night. I make sure to fill her in on what happened last night as we make our way there. Her first reaction is to express her concern about me. She crinkles her nose when I mention that Keiko seems to have had a rougher go at life than I have, but then sighs in relief afterwards.

Once at the library, we gather up some books regarding pregnancy. Part of me doesn't want to at first, since we'll be painting a rather dubious image of ourselves. Then again, this isn't the time to be worried about that. Having gotten what we need, we next make our way back to Lion House and spread the books out on one of the tables.

BGM: Intel Investigation Underway

All right... Let's see whether or not these have any information regarding illnesses or complications that could be linked to her cause of death.

Right...

She announces the plan with seemingly little issue. I can tell she's forcing herself to act composed. Normal people like us shouldn't have any reason to investigate someone's death like this. It doesn't help that it feels like we're digging into someone's private life without consent. That's one of the reasons behind my headache last night. Not to mention that, in this case, it's about someone who's still alive.

I pick up one of the books closest to me. While thinner than the card book, it's packed full of text. I probably shouldn't try my hand at a book like this when I know absolutely nothing about medicine. Thinking that, I pick up another one, only to reach the same conclusion. The only stuff I read other than manga are novels, so ideally there'll be something a bit simpler among all these...

As I think this over, it leads to me repeating the same scenario over and over in my mind.

Umm... Rinka...?

What's wrong?

Are you, um, not well versed when it comes to books?

She's using the book in her hands to obscure her face from below the eyes, which are glued to me.

Not really, but I mean... aren't these a bit too difficult?

You should have said so when we were at the library. I could have picked out some of the simpler ones...

That makes it pretty clear that I left Naomi in charge of picking out which books to get. I figured that'd be best, considering she's a bit of a bookworm.

I take it you're not big on studying, then?

I nod my head after a brief hesitation. I wouldn't say I'm bad at studying, but there's no point in putting up a front- especially when my grades tell a different story.

I'll give it a shot, though. Can't let you do all the work for my sake.

I pick up another book and peruse the table of contents. Naomi hides part of her face behind her book again, but I can see how focused her eyes are on its contents.

…...

Two hours later, I feel my concentration vanish into thin air.

Let's take a break.

…...

Umm, Naomi?

Eep...! Wh-What is it?

Dang, your concentration level is off the charts... How about a quick break?

Oh, that sounds like a good idea.

She closes her book after I make my offer. I guess she's finished reading that one too, which makes for a total of three so far. Meanwhile, I'm still stumbling through my first. The difference in reading speeds between someone who reads often and someone who doesn't is rather striking.

I brew up some coffee for the both of us and bring it over to the table.

Thank you very much! I feel like this is the first time in a while that I've gotten to have some of your coffee.

Hmm, you might be right.

I've spent so much time teaching her how to make coffee that I actually haven't had much opportunity to make some for her myself. It's always nice watching Naomi drink the coffee I make, considering how much she seems to enjoy it.

So... manage to find anything worthwhile?

I have picked up on something myself, in truth. But asking for Naomi's input first seems like the best idea.

I did. First of all, it turns out that there's an extremely low mortality rate for women during childbirth.

The book I've been reading says the same thing. Based on a study from 2014, only 3 out of 100,000 mothers died while giving birth. I'd assume Keiko is in her twenties or thirties. Even if it's the latter, there's only a 0.003 percent chance of it happening to her. For comparison's sake, a person's much more likely to be involved in some sort of fatal traffic accident than that. This stuff actually caught my attention while reading, because it'll be relevant to me at some point in my future. Seems like Naomi read about the same study. You'd think we were revising test materials together or something.

Doesn't the fact there are so few cases make it easier for us to determine the cause, though?

I thought the same myself, but... how much information do we need to be able to turn it into a card to begin with?

The cards I have that detail causes of death only say stuff like 'fire', so I assume you just need the general idea.

I see... You mentioned that the process involves giving throughts a tangible form, didn't you?

Yup, but it's not like I know how it actually works.

In that case, it's likely that you need to believe in your thoughts for them to be considered for a tangible form.

Now the conversation's getting a bit complicated... I take a moment to mentally sort out all the info. The process behind making new cards involves giving information- thoughts, rather- a tangible form. Parca explained that much herself. How does one distinguish which piece of information is correct and turn that into a card, then?

Sorry. I should have explained it in simpler terms. Basically, I'm curious about the circumstances around which a card is created. For example, would one be made if you happen to correctly guess a cause of death or regret while having a casual conversation with someone? Or do you need to state the details loud and clear with certainty, like one would when presenting evidence in a legal trial?

Ah, now I get what you mean.

I cast my mind back to these past two weeks. I'm not the most chatty person, but I've definitely had a good number of conversations during that time. Chances are good that I've discussed things related to relevant information, so by that logic I should have some extra cards already.

And yet, yesterday was the first time I obtained a new card. In that case, it's probably the latter scenario that's required in order to make new cards.

I feel it's the latter, myself. If the former were the case, one could likely read through an entire dictionary and hit upon everyone's cause of death and regret.

That doesn't sound very thrilling...

I'm sure people would resort to such a method when they know their lives are on the line.

That serves to remind me about how desperate Keiko looked. I could tell she had a specific force driving her. Knowing that, chances are high that she'd read through all kinds of stuff if it meant possibly obtaining more cards.

It's the same reason behind why you can't obtain a card detailing your own cause of death, I believe. We need something more concrete than your hazy memory and my dream...

So in the end, it's all up to me remembering the exact details of what happened that day. I can't see myself doing that today, at least. The fact that it's yet to come back to me probably means I need something specific to trigger my memories. I push those thoughts away and Naomi back to the topic at hand.

Hmm... This is my personal conjecture, but it seems that blood loss is the most common cause of death during pregnancy. Meaning the same would apply to Keiko.

Knowing that's not enough though, is it? I need to understand the precise details that led to its occurrence in the first place.

The lack of any new card materializing proves that.

Books alone probably won't give us all the answers, then.

How about I pay her a visit? Then again, I'd probably get kicked out first.

I'm well aware of how much my hair causes me to stand out...

Oh.

What is it?

I said we should take a break, but this hardly counts as one, huh? I gotta hand it to you, you're really reliable when it counts.

Ehehe! Glad to hear it.

I say that, but I can tell she's pushing herself pretty hard. It's clear from the way she's speaking that she's more nervous than usual. The same goes for me, as well. There's no way we could have a happy chat about someone's possible cause of death. However, I'm not getting a headache like when I tried to do this on my own. Her being here to shoulder part of the burden really does make things easier to bear. Now the issue is how we go about digging deeper.

Oh, I forgot that I brought some sweets with me. I didn't make these myself, though.

Saying that, she produces some chocolate, which I happily partake of. The sweet sensation that spreads throughout my body is almost enough to make me shiver with joy.

You really can't beat a good dose of sugar...

They do say that it's good for your brain. My mom always brings me some when I'm studyi-

What is it?

I just realized a simple solution. If we want accurate info, then I should go and speak with her family.

Isn't that a bit... dangerous?

Risky, sure. But there's a lower chance of me being caught than you. I'll make sure to go in plain clothes, since you carried Keiko to the hospital in your school uniform.

Wouldn't she have asked them to not reveal anything about her?

I'm fairly certain an adult like her would have reservations about bringing up the dream world to others. If anything, she'd advise them to keep quiet without giving any specifics.

She has a point. I had no issue telling her everything, but there's no way I'd tell one of our teachers, for example. I'd probably be fine with telling my gran, but definitely not my parents- if they were around. That goes double if I were Keiko's age.

I promise I won't do anything too dangerous, so please leave this to me.

I'm more worried about your acting skills...

Aww... Please don't be so blunt...

She once again tucks her face behind a book, and then pops part of it back out to speak to me after a moment.

I'll do my best, though. Especially when it's for your sake.

You really are reliable, aren't you?

As for when I should go... I'd say the weekend is my best bet.

How so?

Her family is likely to visit at night during the week. In fact, they might not even be able to visit at all if it gets too late. Meanwhile, her husband at the very least should stop by during the weekend. I'm best off doing this as soon as possible, so I'll aim for this Saturday.

Got it. I'm coming with you, though. I'll hide somewhere nearby so you can scream if anything happens and I'll come get you.

She nods her head in response, understanding that I won't back down.

We try to discuss other possibilities regarding her death after that, but it basically turns into a study session about pregnancy. After walking Naomi to the train station, I make my way back to Lion House.

…...

05/16 (WED), Night
I have to admit, I am surprised by just how fruitful our efforts today have been. It goes to show how little I'd been thinking about Divine Selection before talking to Naomi about it. It's gotten me to question my own life. I still can't say for sure whether or not it's right of me to want to survive. However, I can say with certainty that I don't want to leave my friends and family upset over my death. That's enough motivation for now.

I'm sure Keiko has the same resolve pushing her forward. In fact, hers is probably stronger, considering she has a child. I was told I lost my parents in an accident almost immediately after I was born, so I'm not too sure what it's like to experience the warmth and love parents can provide. The only thing I have to go on is when my gran spoke to me about my mom. Her expression showed an entirely different kind of love from that she holds for her granddaughter.

Okay, enough thinking for one day.

The more I consider Keiko and her situation, the more empathy I feel for her. Which makes me think of her even more... What I should be doing right now is casting my emotions aside and gathering as much info on her as possible. Even Naomi is pushing herself to do what she can for my sake. The last thing I want is to let that go to waste.

My priority right now...

Should be to get some rest. Thus, I crawl into bed and close my eyes.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

So Rinka sacrificed herself to save Naomi, and now Naomi feels deeply loyal to her.

This whole plotting the destruction of a sick woman who might also just have had a kid is very grim, though. I don't think I could do that even if my life was on the line.

But Miharu and Naomis lives might also be on the line, and it would be very selfish to sacrifice them as well.

Someone help me understand some English here.

In Swedish, you use the word "chance" (chans) for something good and "risk" (risk) for something bad. It's a common speech error among kids here to use "chance" for both. Like there can't be a chance of dying in a fire. Only the risk of dying in a fire. But there can be a chance to win at the lottery etc.

But in English, people use chance for both good and bad things, which I always found jarring. Is using "chance" for both proper?

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 17, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

generally, chance is the possibility of something happening, regardless of whether that's a positive or a negative thing- it can be something like the odds of an event happening (probability, essentially) or rather a development that was accidental or coincidental (doing something 'by chance', specifically).

risk, on the other hand, explicitly brings with it the addition of danger or threat- it's the possibility of defeat or loss, rather than an undefined potential event

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Mix. posted:

generally, chance is the possibility of something happening, regardless of whether that's a positive or a negative thing- it can be something like the odds of an event happening (probability, essentially) or rather a development that was accidental or coincidental (doing something 'by chance', specifically).

risk, on the other hand, explicitly brings with it the addition of danger or threat- it's the possibility of defeat or loss, rather than an undefined potential event

Wow, that's way smarter than I can manage. I'll just have to do my best with these :v:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

If it helps, one of my old prep books made the distinction with three examples -

"There's a chance we will win, and a chance we will lose" is valid,
"There's a chance we will win, and a risk we will lose" is valid,
but "There's a risk we will win" is awkward in both cases.

Edit - this is with the assumption that winning was a good thing.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

dervival posted:

If it helps, one of my old prep books made the distinction with three examples -

Okay, that helps a lot. I'm just a little uncomfortable with saying "chance of bad thing" Because I was thoroughly taught otherwise through my entire childhood.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

dervival posted:

This is a good explanation.

(Anyone who starts talking about the “risk” of things going better than expected probably works in finance and should be considered dangerous.)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Contestant IV sure looks like the train bomber. Assuming that is true, if her cause of death is erased then wouldn't that also save Rinka?

I also wonder if Naomi survives the bombing. I know Rinka shields her from the blast but it's an explosion on a moving train. Feels like there's a lot of opportunity for her to die afterward.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Naomi could have died and just not ended up in the selection. Or just been hurt badly.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: explicit details about pregnancy complications

05/19 (SAT), Noon
After school, Naomi and I come back to Lion House together again. Keiko never has approached me again after that one night.

She probably realized that I now know her name.

Right... I assume she's aware of the potential risk in approaching you again thanks to that, too.

Let's do this.

After I ensure that my book is in my bag, I guide Naomi to the hospital.

…...

05/19 (SAT), Evening
By the time we reach the lounge, I realize that I never did ask Naomi how she plans on approaching Keiko's family. Even without me there, it doesn't change the fact that she's just a random highschooler to them. I highly doubt they'll be willing to share private information with a stranger like that. Fortunately, the lounge is on the same floor as Keiko's room, so I'll be able to hear Naomi scream should anything go wrong while I wait. She isn't quite as clumsy and shy in front of me anymore, but this is Naomi we're talking about. I can't help but worry about her. I know that she said she'd do her best for my sake, so I'll trust in her.

…...

After some time has passed, a man in his late thirties passes by me. I assume it's Keiko's husband and try to avoid eye contact. I move my gaze to look outside the window, waiting for his footsteps to fade.

Rinka?

Ack! You startled me...

Being approached from behind like that causes me to yelp, but no one seems to pay me much mind. Naomi's voice sounds somewhat gloomy.

Welcome back. How'd it go?

M-My heart's about to explode, for one. As for actual information, most of what I learned will only help us to narrow down the possible causes.

So you didn't learn anything specific?

Right. It seems like she's always had a frail disposition, but no particular diseases to speak of. However, she'd been entering preterm labor on a consistent basis, which eventually lead to a premature birth via emergency C-section. The child had to be admitted afterwards, so both of them have been in the hospital for close to three weeks now.

That overlaps with the timing of Divine Selection. The books we were reading yesterday mentioned preterm labor and premature birth. Premature birth is when the baby is born before the expected date, and preterm labor is when you enter the first stages of labor earlier than you should. The mother suffers from constant pain and bleeding during this, so she has to be kept as idle and relaxed as possible. I guess things took a turn for the worse, which led to her needing a C-section.

How'd you manage to get that much out of them in the first place?

I... told a little white lie.

Her tone is more hushed than usual. It's probably why she seemed a bit gloomy afterwards.

I told them that I noticed her whenever I'd come here to visit my friend, who'd also been hospitalized. I said I was worried about her, but felt it would be rude to ask her about her situation directly. I... also said I would bring her some flowers soon. That... eventually lead to them telling me what I just told you...

Naomi...

She looks like she's ready to cry. She pried information from Keiko's family for the express purpose of eliminating her. Knowing how kind of a person she is, there's no doubt she's beating herself up over it. All I can do is grit my teeth. She did this for my sake, so I can't give her some half-hearted consolation. Figuring it'd be too risky to discuss things further here, we make our way back to Lion House.

…...

We dive right into discussing her cause of death upon our return. I wouldn't call it a bright conversation. Hardly surprising, but both of us make sure not to comment on it. I read yesterday that premature birth and C-sections place a significant strain on the mother as well. She might not have had any notable diseases, but she still had a frail disposition. Put two and two together, and...

Blood loss seems most likely.

The book doesn't react. I can't tell if it's because I'm wrong, or if it's because I'm not going through the proper process with the correct information. I was pretty confident in that conclusion after discussing things with Naomi, but...

No reaction... Does that mean we're wrong, then?

I'm fairly certain her family would've beaten about the bush if she had a specific condition, though. The fact that they didn't means she really doesn't.

I grab some of the books we checked out of the library to make sure we haven't missed something. Naomi does the same. I end up coming across something relevant quicker than expected.

This might be it.

I point to a page detailing one of the leading causes of death during childbirth. A brain hemorrhage. It's described as being caused by an artery in the brain bursting, which leads to internal bleeding in the surrounding areas. Not only does it impact your senses and consciousness, but it can lead to death should a tumor become big enough to put significant stress on the brain stem. The reason this can kill you is that the brain stem regulates the central nervous system, making it one of the most vital parts of your body. Most causes of death during childbirth can typically be traced back to this.

That makes... a lot of sense, actually...

Oh, it started shining...

Wait, really? I can't see anything.

My book starts to shine almost immediately after I come across that information. Naomi doesn't seem to be able to see it, so I explain what it does when you successfully turn information into a card. The light congregates once again and gives birth to a new card.

Oh, there it is!

I guess she can see the card itself and what's written on it, though. Just like the others I possess. I assume it's got something to do with the fact that giving them a physical form means their existence becomes reality. I place the card on the table so she can read it. Written on it is Numeral VIII's cause of death. A brain hemorrhage.

This is it, huh...

This killed her. She gave birth to her child, only to die of a brain hemorrhage. The fact that her child's in the hospital means that its birth wasn't undone at the beginning of Divine Selection. In that case, it might be safe to assume that Keiko didn't die during the process, but sometime after. I can't say I feel pleased over having made some progress, in all honesty. I'd actually say I feel worse now, having learned the circumstances behind her death.

…...

Naomi likely feels the same way. I don't think there's any other way to explain the complex facial expression she's making right now. I have to be the one to break this awkward silence.

We should find out her regret while we're at it.

I notice that I've stopped referring to her by name. The worst thing I can do is let myself feel any attachment to her. I know for a fact that I'll regret things later down the line if I do. This is what happens when you learn the circumstances behind someone's death.

Well... there's no arguing that it's related to her child, at least. Is she worried about its future?

The book doesn't react. Playing the guessing game won't get us anywhere.

I agree... We should make our way back to the hospital.

…...

05/19 (SAT), Night
Somehow we make it all the way over there without considering the notion that there's no way they'll let strangers in to see the newborns. Neither of us are too surprised, though.

Sorry... Part of me realized this would happen, but...

We might need to go about this another way.

But you say the next round is tomorrow night, isn't it? If we miss our opportunity, then it's likely that both her and the other participants will be working even harder to find out more information...! We should do as much as we can now...

I know you're right, but...

I get where she's coming from. None of the other participants have approached me so far, so right now I'm best off focusing on her. Both in terms of efficiency and to prevent my own info from being dug up.

It's 7 p.m., so visiting hours will end in an hour. We won't be able to stick around much longer. I honestly have no idea what else we could try.

...I'll speak with her personally. She may suspect me, but I'll do what I can to pass myself off as someone else.

She tells me to wait here as she gets up, ready to run off. I try to stop her, but all I do is cause her to trip over her own feet.

Oompf!

S-Sorry...

Fortunately, the fall brings her back to her senses. I tend to act impulsively, and it looks like Naomi's the same way. In fact, she might be even worse than me. Especially when you consider how quickly she made her decisions both in regards to helping me out and learning how to brew coffee.

You two do realize you're in a hospital, don't you?

I feel a chill run down my spine the moment I hear that voice. I am kneeling down to give Naomi a hand, so I stare upward and into her face.

You're...

Kamebuchi Keiko. The very person who we've spent the past few days investigating as much as possible. Why's she even here in the first place? We made sure to discuss things on a different floor from the one her room's on.

This works for me, though. I was in the middle of looking for you, Shishimai Rinka.

The tone of her voice is chilling, but her saying my full name out loud makes it ice cold. I step forward in an attempt to keep Naomi from her line of sight, but there's no way she hasn't noticed her.

Your little friend seems to have had a lovely discussion with my husband. It must be nice, having someone to cooperate with you...

I can't find an appropriate response. Much like our first meeting, I risk putting myself in danger if I say anything without thinking first.

There's no need to panic, Rinka. I just want to discuss things with you.

Discuss things...?

There's no doubt the discussion will be regarding Divine Selection. A few moments later, I nod my head.

You can't!

You may leave. I'm only interested in Rinka.

Don't worry. If she just wants to talk, then that's fine.

I nod reassuringly at Naomi, who looks worried sick over the situation.

Even so... be careful...

I already said there's no need to panic. I'm not here to hurt her. I just want to talk. How about we go to the lounge upstairs? It should be rather empty at this time, and I'd much rather not discuss things in my room where other patients are around.

As for your little friend, she can wait right here. I'd hate for her to try and eavesdrop.

I follow her after that, leaving Naomi, who looks as worried as ever, behind.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

VIII – Cause of Death – Brain Hemorrhage
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:ohdear:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Once we reach the lounge, she directs me to take a seat and walks off. She returns shortly thereafter, a can of coffee and a bottle of water in her hands.

Here, take it.

I accept the coffee, unable to hide my surprise. There must've been a vending machine close by, but should I really take this when she's technically my enemy?

Don't worry... It isn't poisoned. We might be in a pretty unbelievable situation right now, but that doesn't change the fact that those kinds of substances are rather difficult to come by.

That's... not what I...

Relax. I understand. I was rather... frantic during our first meeting. I must have frightened you.

Hearing that admission from her, I take a sip of the coffee.

Hehe... quite the gutsy one, aren't you? I figured you were just working part-time at that cafe, but you actually live there, don't you? On the second floor, I believe.

I don't answer. Nor do I question how she knows. It's an easy conclusion to come to when you know both my name and Lion House.

Was coffee the right choice, by the way? I figured you like it, all things considered.

...I do.

Still, I can't bring myself to thank her for it. She seems to have expected as much, since she gives me a slight grin before taking a drink of her water.

First of all, allow me to apologize. I was in a panic back then because I only knew your name, not to mention the fact that that man in the dream world got a hold of my name while I could do nothing but sit in this hospital.

Are you not doing well...?

Is that your sly attempt to learn my cause of death?

She stares me right in the eye. It's clear to me that there are several more layers to her when she's calm. This is what an adult looks like.

Well, it's likely that you've already learned it by now. Otherwise you wouldn't be so focused on my regret, considering that's the hardest piece of info for any of us to get our hands on.

Were you listening... the whole time...?

Oh, and here I was thinking you noticed me doing so at some point.

We really should've gone back to Lion House first. Just because there were plenty of people here during visiting hours didn't guarantee that we wouldn't be caught.

Either way, I'm not here to try and scare you, so let's drop that subject. My main intention is to propose that we both stop digging up info on one another.

What's that supposed to mean?

Exactly how it sounds. You give up on your little information hunt, and I give up on mine. In other words, a ceasefire of sorts.

Like you said, I know both your name and your cause of death.

Yes, and I happen to know the exact same details regarding you, so we're currently on an even playing field. That makes my proposal all the more appealing, no?

Wait, you know my... cause of death...?

My surprise spills out when she reveals her hand. When exactly did she find that out? I never got the impression that she was doing any digging into my life. I even tried looking up why that fire broke out in the train, but the event itself had been undone. In that case, she either had that card from the beginning, or she heard my discussion with Naomi at the park. Still, I made sure to check that there wasn't anyone close enough to overhear us when we were there.

Wiretapping, maybe? No... That tech is about as hard for someone in her situation to get her hands on as the poison she joked about earlier. The wind's pretty strong at the park, so you'd need high spec stuff to counteract all that interference, as well. That leaves the former, then. I still find it hard to believe that she'd just conveniently end up with two of my cards out of the total thirty-six.

Don't forget that I can easily spread your info amongst the other participants, or even use it as a bargaining tool. That goes for the man who now knows my name, too.

She really is worried about Numeral XII, huh... Not that I blame her. He isn't the type of person you'd encounter normally. Meanwhile, she looks more confident than ever. But... something feels off. That's all I can think as I stare at her.

Are you... telling me the truth...?

Is there any reason for me to lie in a situation like this? If you're that concerned, then I can show you my cards if you'd like. Of course, you'd need to show me yours in exchange. Trust is of the essence here, so I need you to-

Sorry. I refuse.

Huh...?

I say it loud and clear. Not just to settle my own nerves, but to make sure I establish some leverage of my own.

You asked for my cause of death when we first met, so it's safe to assume that your starting cards didn't include that info. And I find it hard to believe that you could figure it out between then and now.

Not to mention that I'm still fuzzy on the details of my own death. Even if she did manage to listen in on my conversation with Naomi, there are too many unknown factors for her to get a card out of just that.

I got a hold of it through channels you're not aware of.

What sort of channels?

Oh, just chalk it up to an adult's resourcefulness.

I detect a slight hint of panic in her tone. It's enough to convince me. It also serves to kill any sense of sympathy I've been holding for her.

You sit there and talk about trusting each other while you're blatantly lying to my face.

I'm not, I swear! I know! I know how you died!

I stand up and look down on her. Her eyes blast wide open as she stares back up at me.

It was suicide, right...? Wait, no. An accident?

Sorry, but we're done here. I would have considered your proposal had you been telling me the truth... but you just had to go and lie!

I'm not kidding. Her attempt to gain my trust despite lying to me has drained every ounce of sympathy I had for her. I no longer care about the things I've imagined about her life after learning how she died.

Wait... Please, don't go...

Her voice is full of angst as she tries to stop me. I don't even bother to respond, opting instead to make my way directly back to Naomi.

I... I want to live... I need to make it through this!

I even tried lying to a kid, and yet... at this rate, I'll...

Our ages are irrelevant!

She finally irritates me enough to prompt me to shout at her. At the same time, I feel my eyes starting to burn for some reason.

This... is good-bye...

I stop not too far from where we were sitting. I am supposed to be done with her, and yet...I can't help but worry. It doesn't take long for me to realize why. Her exasperated claim about wanting to live was, without a doubt, the truth. That really was risky... I was pretty close to agreeing with her proposal. But our ages are irrelevant. I guess I'm just weak towards people who are pouring their heart out.

After taking a moment to gather myself, I go back to where Naomi has been waiting.

…...

Huh? Naomi...?

She isn't there when I get back. I decide to wait, figuring she'll be back soon. Little do I expect that decision to lead to the most terrifying situation I've been in yet.

I recognize you...

Ah...

My entire body freezes up the moment I see him. Tall, dark-skinned, and positively ripped. You can almost see his muscles trying to break out of his clothes. He's one of the few people you could describe as being 'built like a tank' with no exaggeration. But even more terrifying than his build are those stone-cold eyes. I've seen him twice before in the dream world, but seeing him here in the real world drills home just how irregular a man like this is.

Numeral XII. The man responsible for Divine Selection's first elimination, and the man in possession of Numeral VIII's name card.

You'll be my target later down the line, but for now, I have no business with you.

He passes right by me, heading in the direction from which I came.

Phew...

Just being in his presence made me feel like I was drowning. I must have been taking fewer breaths than usual or something. The realization that I'll need to gather information on him almost makes me want to give up right here and now.

Oh, sorry. My mom called me, so I... Huh? What's wrong?

Naomi just happens to return right as he leaves. I'm so glad we came here together. Just hearing her voice helps me to realize that I can't just roll over. I give her a quick rundown of what happened.

If he doesn't have any business with you, then that must mean...

He has her name card, so he must be aiming for her. Wait here- I'll follow him.

Naomi stops me as I try to go.

Why would you follow him...? You've got no reason to!

You're right, but... I...

I can't help but remember her pained expression. Her desperate voice.

I can't sit here and do nothing! Stay put. If anything happens, I'll get in touch. Be ready to contact the police!

Rinka...

She lets go, almost as if she's lost all the strength in her arm. I sprint away before she can say anything else to stop me.

BGM: Impatience

It takes a few minutes to get her out of her room. Rather, it takes a few minutes to try and convince the nurse, considering visiting hours are over. She eventually comes out of her own volition after hearing me shout.

You're safe...

...Why did you come back?

Her expression is completely devoid of life. I'm the one responsible for that, too.

Did you change your mind?

She asks with obvious doubt in her voice. I can't give her an immediate reply. That man's definitely aiming for her, so I find it hard to believe that I beat him here. And he's got his book on him as well, considering he was able to speak to me. I doubt he could read the signs here without it. In that case, how did I get here without even passing by him?

Wait, don't tell me...!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Mix. posted:

Wait, don't tell me...!

Numeral XII is the baby in disguise.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: threat of infant harm/death

Wait a minute, what're you doing?

I grab her by the hand and try to drag her along, which obviously takes her by surprise.

Your child's in danger!

She resists at first, but that stops the moment she hears me say that.

Numeral XII is right here inside this hospital.

He is...? Don't tell me he plans on taking my baby hostage...!

Finding out that she's given birth recently isn't a particularly difficult task. And it goes without saying that a three-week-old baby has no means to defend itself. They may not be letting strangers in to see the newborns, but he's the type of man who seems able to get around an issue like that with ease. I don't know him personally, but I do know the fear inspired by those eyes.

Please... Don't...

She keeps mumbling as I lead her to the nursery.

What I witness upon our arrival is far more disastrous than expected. The lights in the hallway leading to the nursery are off, and all the emergency lights have been shattered. A faint light coming from the room beyond tells us all we need to know about the situation.

What the hell happened here?!

Having shot ahead of me, she is the first to raise her voice. It doesn't take long for me to understand why. I see a number of nurses sprawled out on the floor.

No...!

I lay my ear close to their mouths and confirm that they're still breathing. I expected the worst, but it seems like they're all alive. However, an even worse scenario soon presents itself before me...

Naomi!

For some reason, Naomi is among the unconscious nurses.

...ka... I'm... sorry...

She is obviously struggling to speak, but she does so nonetheless. I notice her glasses lying not far from her body, the lenses cracked.

I figured he was... aiming for the baby... so I tried to stop him... That baby's done nothing to deserve this...

You idiot! Ugh...

She runs straight towards the room from which the light emanates, ignoring my calls for her to stop.

Rinka... Get away from here...

I'm sorry, Naomi... Rest here a little bit longer, okay?

I grit my teeth and give chase.

Hey! What're you doing?!

A voice roars out as I reach the nursery. The babies all start to cry, likely because her shouting has woken them up. A number of nurses lie unconscious here, as well. The fact that the babies only now woke up means he'd somehow made it this far by being swift and silent. The mere fact that he is capable of such a thing is utterly insane.

...Silence.

He directs a quiet but threatening order towards the babies. As if that'd work on them, though.

How in the...?

I'm just as shocked as she is. His command somehow manages to silence every tiny voice at once. I feel my legs get glued to the ground in the presence of such a monster. My entire body starts to shudder. Why did I come here in the first place?

Why are you here with her?

I...

She's here to sniff out info on me as well, so she probably figured she could use this situation to her advantage.

Huh...?

Figures. You heard me earlier. I have no business with you at the moment. I'm aware of how notable this country's security measures are, so I'd prefer to wrap this up quick.

His tone is low, but steady. The fact that he can maintain such poise in a situation like this is unsettling.

Why did you come here?

I know your name, so learning your location and why you're here was a minor task. Let's forget about the how. You're aware of what I mean when I say I want to do this quick, aren't you?

I'm not, but right now I need you to step away from the children.

That only proves that you know exactly what I plan on doing. But fine. Allow me to spell it out for you. Your name is Kamebuchi, if I recall. Therefore, this is the bed I'm looking for.

He locates her baby right away. The baby's name is written on the bed. I can't see its face from where I stand, but I can read its name- Haruki. I assume it's a boy, then.

Surrender your cause of death and your regret. Otherwise, I'll see to it that this baby dies tonight.

What...?

He states his intent to kill her newborn son without the slightest trace of hesitation. I feel the color fade from my face. Taking hostages isn't a pleasant situation in the first place, but how can he talk about killing a baby like that?

Urk...

She probably expected this, too. Even so, there's no way she can remain calm having heard that. No one could when someone's family is threatened.

I... I...

Y-You're wasting your time...

I interrupt her before she can say anything. This is it. I need to muster up all my courage and knowledge so I can try to negotiate with him. Anything to get through this situation...

Security should be here any minute now... Even you won't be able to escape so easily then. And once you're caught, you won't be able to do anything for the remainder of Divine Selection.

Let them come. I'll simply escape with her child. Dealing with a few people on the way is easy enough. It may complicate things afterwards, but it doesn't change the fact that I will come to possess Keiko Kamebuchi's information.

He answers right away and continues his threat.

You have thirty seconds. I'll kill the child in the bed next to yours if you haven't answered by then, followed by another child thirty seconds after that. If you still haven't answered, then yours will be the next.

They have nothing to do with this!

Keep calm... If you don't, he'll add your own info into a part of the deal.

She whispers this just quietly enough so that he can't hear.

Keiko. You have Numeral I's information, don't you? That's why she doesn't want you to be eliminated.

That's not...!

I deny his claim on instinct, but she really does know my name. Realizing this only now proves how foolish I am.

B-But... even if you do kill them, th-that'll be undone if you're eliminated. So-

That's enough! Fine. I'll tell you my cause of death and regret.

Get on with it.

He remains completely devoid of emotion.

Keiko!

It's plain to see that you both have information on one another.

Ugh...

That statement prevents me from saying another word. I can't spill any more crucial information.

Thanks for going this far for my sake...

But!

You're right that my child's death would be undone if anyone other than him makes it all the way to the end. Regardless, what kind of mother would willingly expose her child to such danger?

Get on with it already.

I have just one condition. Step away from the bed and swap positions with us.

...Very well.

He moves over to the entrance; we make our way to the bed. We can shield the babies like this, sure, but it also gives him an easier escape route.

BGM: Two Crossing Paths -S/I V/S-

I died from blood loss. A brain hemorrhage, to be specific. The chance of a woman dying during childbirth here in Japan is almost non-existent in modern times, so I must have been ridiculously unlucky.

Don't waste my time with such useless drivel.

He takes his book out and waits for her to continue.

I had a frail disposition from the get-go, so I guess it was just a case of my body not being able to take the strain.

Your regret.

He rushes her along after confirming that he's obtained a new card.

...The baby's name.

Her answer takes me by surprise. She's already named it, so how can that be her regret?

If I'm eliminated, then everything I've done during this time would be undone. I'm the one who named him Haruki. My mother-in-law didn't like the sound of the name, though. She was more concerned with that over the meaning behind it. That's why I sincerely felt that the name she proposed instead was lazy.

She cuts herself off for a brief moment. His expression doesn't change in the slightest. His gaze is clearlyt elling her to get on with it. Guess he doesn't have enough information to believe her just yet.

...My husband was in favor of the name she'd come up with. I talked things over with him, though... after Haruki was born. The fact that I was riding the line between life and death while giving birth probably prompted me to do so. Well, I guess all mothers would do the same thing either way.

In the end, he was willing to listen and eventually agreed with me after hearing why I wanted to name my child Haruki. Following that, I filled out the birth certificate with the name I'd decided on. Your name almost represents your life itself, doesn't it? That's why I hold the name of my first child in as high regard as my own future.

Her delivery is more than enough to convince me that she means it. The words weigh heavily on me, too. One's regret and one's future are inevitably intertwined. This is the moment I get to learn the future that Keiko wants to see.

I wanted more than one child, but it looks like Haruki will be my first and last. No... I suppose he won't be named Haruki once I am eliminated.

BGM: Alan

So you are telling the truth.

That's it?! That's all you've got to say to her?!

My only concern is obtaining the cards I need. All I feel after hearing her story is my joy from having obtained them...

My fear is replaced with sheer rage. He's trampling all over her life for his own sake.

Saying I feel nothing may not be the whole truth, but remember this... No matter what you say or think about me, each and every one of us caught up in this little game must stamp down the lives of others for our own survival. That said, I like the determination in your eyes. They tell a story that mere words cannot express.

A certain contradiction resides within you. You're likely aware of it, too.

What are you talking about...?

The sound of footsteps rings out from the hallway the moment I ask. While not quite as prominent, I can also hear voices.

...Time's up.

Wait!

No.

As he declines, he smashes a nearby switch.

Then the lights turn off, blanketing the area in pure darkness because the hall lights are also out of commission. I rush to get the lights back on as quick as possible. He is long gone by the time I manage to do so.

Rinka... Are you okay...?

Naomi!

Naomi limps her way into the room. I don't know how he did it, but he seems to have knocked everyone unconscious without injuring them. She holds her broken glasses in one hand.

I'm so sorry, Naomi... It's my fault you got caught up in something like this...

Please don't apologize. I'm the one who chased after him.

Hey.

Keiko interrupts our conversation.

Security will be here once they've finished checking on all the nurses outside. Use this opportunity to get out of here. I'll think up a way to explain this to them.

B-But...

Besides... I'd like to spend a little more time with Haruki.

Let's go, Naomi.

She answers with a quick nod.

Security makes their way into the nursery soon after, but we make sure to leave the hospital right away.

…...

After getting out, we head back to Lion House. The only thing we speak about on our return journey is about what happened in the nursery. Otherwise, we walk along in silence. Unsurprisingly, I've obtained the same cards as Numeral XII, though I no longer have any desire to eliminate her. There's... something I want to say to Naomi.

I'll take you to the station. It's a bit dangerous for you to go it alone with broken glasses.

Right... Thank you...

I spend our journey to the station wondering if I have it in me to say what I want to her. The longer I hold it in, the harder it'll be to say. That's why I need to say it now. It may feel like I'm making up excuses, but I've reached my conclusion.

BGM: Two Crossing Paths -S/I V/S-

I told you not to do anything dangerous, didn't I?

Huh...?

Wait, that's not quite what I mean. I'm at fault for not realizing how dangerous things could get.

I never once considered that a situation like that could occur so easily. I figured things might get dangerous, but I failed to see the full picture until tonight.

You told me that you'd help me bear the burden, and for that I'm thankful. Just knowing you're willing to do that for me is enough... Everyone's putting their lives on the line here. There's no telling what sorts of things the other participants will try down the road, either. That's why...

I'll handle the rest on my own.

So... you... you mean..?

I nod to reaffirm her presumption. I really couldn't be happier over her decision to help me. It's done far more for me than she could ever imagine. But the more I rely on her, the more danger I'll be putting her in. That's why I force myself to stay silent, otherwise I might renege on my statement.

...I understand. I made those bold claims about saving you, about protecting you... but all I managed to do was get in your way...

That's not true at all. If you weren't there for me, then I don't know what I would've done! But still, I... I just don't want to put you in danger...

It's okay. I see where you're coming from. I'm the one who broke my word to keep myself from danger.

I'm sorry, and thank you. I'll be able to make it through this just knowing you're here for me. I can handle things on my own now.

I try to guide her to the station after our talk.

...Don't worry, I'll be fine. I can make it home by myself.

She makes her way to the station without me. And I can't bring myself to chase after her. I'm certain I'll start to rely on her again if I do. I really should've left our talk until we reached the station, but no, I'm too dumb to think that far ahead. If I had, then she wouldn't have to walk the streets at night all alone.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

VIII – Regret – Child's Name
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Powerless

05/20 (SUN), Morning
When I wake up the next morning, I feel miserable. I didn't have any dreams last night. Well, I don't think I did, anyway. There's no doubt they would've been nightmares, if I had any. Maybe that's why I don't remember...

Might as well get the store ready.

Fortunately, I'm able to get the store up and running like normal. Probably because work should keep my mind off everything else.

…...

05/20 (SUN), Noon
Before long, it's after noon. The number of customers drops significantly around this time thanks to the current lack of a proper food menu.

Welco- Oh.

Table for one... Well, two. Is that okay?

Kamebuchi Keiko arrives, her baby in her arms. I see no reason to turn them away, so I lead her to an empty table.

She orders coffee, so I make sure to brew it like I always do. The last thing I want is to let any of my sadness or sympathy leak into it.

This is delicious...

She doesn't order anything for her baby, which isn't surprising. Not like we have anything that a baby could enjoy in the first place.

Hey, mind if we have a little chat?

BGM: Entrusted Feelings

She's the only customer at the moment, so I accept her offer.

The truth is, I couldn't help but think how lovely your name was the moment I saw it on the card.

That came out of nowhere.

I've been meaning to tell you since we first met... I felt that your name didn't suit you once I saw that you in the dream world- just a scared little child. I was disappointed, in all honesty. Your name invokes a certain dignified image, and yet you are quite the opposite.

That's kind of annoying to hear, but I can't really argue with it. I really must've looked helpless in the dream world.

Anyway, you're completely different in person. The look in your eyes here is far more dignified than that of any other participant. Your words are filled with passion.

You said yesterday that one's name almost represents their life. It reminded me of how my grandmother would always tell me not to be ashamed of my name.

I never expected her to remind me of that.

Sounds like a lovely grandmother... Do as she says. Treasure that name of yours.

She finishes off her coffee along with that train of thought.

Well... I have a request for you.

A request...?

Yes. I'd like for you to take this letter. I ask that you transcribe it for me, even though that sounds like a pain. It's... a letter I wrote to my husband... and my child. But it'll disappear if I get eliminated tonight. I included the appropriate address and name inside, so just send it there.

If I do get eliminated tonight, then it'll have been three weeks since I died come Monday, no? The birth certificate needs to be filled within two weeks after a baby's birth, so his name will likely have already been decided. Still, I'd like for them to understand my feelings on the matter.

She avoids referring to Haruki by name for some reason. I can't claim to understand why, but I do recognize the reality that he won't have that name when he's eliminated.

Are you... giving up?

Oh, no. I can protect myself if I manage to learn all three pieces of info about Numeral XII. I've been working on that for a while now, even though the results are hardly uplifting. Maybe I've half given up, but I'll still spend the rest of today doing all I can. Even so, I'm aware that it'll probably be a waste of time...

And I don't want to hear a peep from you about helping me, either.

I wasn't planning to. He'd realize that we're cooperating if he found us, which means I'd be targeted as well. Besides, I'd fail to carry out your request if I get eliminated.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

She reveals a satisfied smile before continuing.

I'm not sure if this will make up for my actions, but I can tell you the one thing I did learn about him.

His name is Alan Scorpion. He is a young business entrepreneur from India, having turned his parents' jewelry company into a global business just a few years after inheriting it. Finding that out wasn't too hard since I know his face. There's plenty of info about him on the internet, even. By coincidence, I happened to spot a photo of him while thumbing through a magazine. Although I'm sure it was taken long before Divine Selection started.

Alan Scorpion... So that's his name...!

Yes. That's all I can tell you, though. Especially since my elimination is not set in stone. There's also the fact that, while I'm making this request of you, I'm also betting on you.

There is no need for her to explain what she means. She's entrusted me with something important. I know exactly what that is, too.

Alright, I should be going... I'm counting on you.

And just like that, she leaves. All that remains behind is her letter. I don't feel any sort of pressure from having accepted it. In fact, shouldering her feelings has given me more hope than when I spent my time worrying about having to eliminate the other participants. I can understand what she wants precisely because we haven't spoken much.

With dignity...

I take a nice, big stretch. I'm on my own from this day forward. The last thing I want to do is bring shame to my name.

…...

05/20 (SUN), Night
When I return to my room later that night, my book of cards starts to glow again.

XII – Name – Alan Scorpion

To no surprise, it turns out to be his name card. Keiko said that you could find him easily on the Internet, so I run a quick search. Little did I expect this many results from a simple name search.

This feels a bit too easy...

Or so I think, but things get complicated very quickly. There's nothing on him from before he inherited the company at age sixteen, let alone anything related to how he may have died three weeks ago. No need to mention that his regret remains a complete mystery, too. But knowing his occupation, where he's from, and especially his name is a big step forward. It may be worthwhile to head back to the library again and look through some newspapers and magazines.

As for right now, I've got something more important to do- transcribing the letter from Keiko.

…...

BGM: Entrusted Feelings
...Okay.

Written on the paper are her thoughts and feelings towards her husband and child. She actually didn't write it as herself, but as one of her friends. That means it'll be far less painful for her husband to read compared to one coming directly from her. Her writing is nice and tidy. Just reading it feels like I'm getting a glimpse at the sort of life she led. I involuntarily tear up when I come to her message of thanks to me at the very end of the letter.

The regret of a mother who couldn't fulfill her duty... The letter never makes it explicit, but those feelings are definitely imbued in her words. I wonder... is a mother's love represented by her determination to live for her child's sake? That would make love the first thing a child recieves. I'm sure their name comes after. And their name represents their life, so I'm sure Keiko wants to bestow such a meaning onto her own child.

Families work in myriad ways, but Keiko really is attached to the feelings behind one's name. That's why it ended up being her regret. I recall what she said about my name this afternoon. That's the one and only thing, other than my life, that I received from my mother, according to my gran. In which case, she must have also passed on her determination and love when I was born. I wonder if I'll ever be able to pour that same love into another person...

I shake my head to clear the thoughts away before I dive too deeply into them. There's no point in wading through them when none of the answers are there.

As for my regret...

The same applies to this question. The reason I don't know my own regret is because I don't know myself well enough yet. I might be able to take pride in my own life once I learn my regret. But even if I don't make it through... No, scratch that. I know that I want to make it through. Reading Keiko's letter has helped me to finally find the resolve I need.

I don't want to die without having fully understood myself...

Should Keiko be eliminated tonight, I'll mail this letter the very next morning. That'll be my top priority. Once I make that decision, the day begins to wind down.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

IX – Regret – Gold Medal

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

It's a cool name, sure, but it does very much have the character for "fire" in it so it's not particularly auspicious for poor Rinka. (Rin = cold/frigid/dignified/severe, ka = fire).

Feels like we're heading to a showdown! It'd be cool if Keiko pulled out a win, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Interesting that Rinka can't think of her own regret, either. That feels like it's going to be a big plot revelation at some point.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Rinka doesn't have nr 2's name?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Feliday Melody posted:

Rinka doesn't have nr 2's name?

To be specific, she does not currently have a name card for Miharu. :v:

Update 6 posted:

That's not all. Miharu turned out to be a participant as well, so she should have her own set of cards. I figured I would at least have the card with her full name since I know it, but I don't.

I wonder if there are some other conditions you need to meet...?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Mix. posted:

To be specific, she does not currently have a name card for Miharu. :v:

Odd.

Maybe that's not Miharus real name *dramatic music*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The game did go to the effort of pre-explaining what happens if two parties try an elimination at once. Is Rinka bold enough to try and bluff Numeral XII into a stalemate though? Or even just go 'I'd rather I have one of her cards instead of him' ?