Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Keiko :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: The Sacred Large Hall

05/20 (SUN), Midnight
There stands Alan, as emotionless as ever. It should go without saying, but this is in the Court of Fate.

Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate.

A voice rings throughout the court, clear as a bell. Parca arrives to greet the participants, her innocent smile an ongoing deception.

Tonight brings with it the third round of Divine Selection. Things have been proceeding rather smoothly thus far, but will that remain the case for much longer?

Beating around the bush seems to be your forte. You sure you're not just trying to sound mysterious by spouting random nonsense?

Oh? You certainly are brash. Whether or not that is the case is none of your business, I fear.

Alan stares at Numeral II as she talks with Parca. His gaze shifts between her and the girl beside her, Numeral I. He deduces that they are acquaintances, having noticed them conversing during the first night. Numeral II has proven to be far more wary than he imagined, with little to show from his information hunt on her. Meanwhile, Numeral I is willing to risk herself for the sake of another participant. Eliminating her should prove to be an easy task. He has no doubts about that. And yet, he finds himself curious about her. She chose to stand in his way when he had Keiko cornered. For reasons unknown even to him, the fire in her eyes back then was so-

Very well, then. Allow us to begin tonight's election.

Alan's train of thought is interrupted by the goddess's announcement. Realizing that such thoughts are but a hindrance, he focuses instead on the matter at hand.

Revolve, O' Clock of Fate!

BGM: Do You Understand?

The clock's movement signals the beginning of this night's election process, and it starts with Numeral I. The goddess claims that one's position on the dial provides neither advantage nor disadvantage, but Alan disagrees. Should two participants elect the same person, one can earn priority by revealing a card about oneself. However, the higher your numeral, the easier it is to prevent that situation from occurring. The only reason to take such a risk is when one knows that the person they plan to elect is in possession of a card one needs. To that effect, as Numeral XII, Alan feels that he has a significant advantage.

Hmph...

Alan considers the idea that Numeral I will opt to elect Keiko. Should she be in possession of all three of Keiko's cards, she could create a situation where both she and Alan elect Keiko. It would be a win-win situation for her, as it would result in either Keiko's survival or one of his personal cards being revealed. That's why he has no intention of electing Keiko should Numeral I do so. The risk of being caught up in a simultaneous election far outweighs the benefit of gaining one of the cards Keiko possesses.

He's well aware of his position within society, so he fully expects that Keiko has already discovered his name. It is likely that she's revealed this information to Numeral I, as well. However, his name is the only thing she should have been able to find out about him. As such, should Numeral I have to eliminate Keiko, she will gain no new information about him.

I have... no one to elect.

Numeral I passes on electing her. This comes as no surprise to Alan. In fact, the odds of this happening were far higher than the scenario he anticipated earlier. As the clock hand spins round, Numeral XI, who had elected someone last night, passes as well.

That woman happens to be the one he is most wary of. It is plain to see that she's a far cry from ordinary, not only due to that body of hers, but also because of her attitude. For instance, she blows him a kiss as the clock slows to a halt in front of him. This speaks volumes about her character.

...I won't allow myself to be provoked.

He mutters under his own breath, preventing anyone from hearing him.

And you, good sir?

I elect... Numeral VIII.

He states his intention with apathy. In the next moment, the platform he stands on rumbles and begins to ascend.

…...

Both his and Keiko's platforms rise to the upper stratum. The goddess appears before them there, her face contorted into a wry smile. Keiko's composure serves as a bit of a surprise to Alan. It is hard to believe that she could be so composed after the despair she put on display when he obtained her name card. Much like Ro before her, he expected to hear some emotional wailing.

Do proceed.

This marks Alan's second time electing someone, so he is acquainted with the process. Once his cards have gathered in front of him, he has only to read out the relevant ones. But, of all his current cards, those related to Ro have lost their glow.

BGM: Fated Selection

Her name is Keiko Kamebuchi. She died of a brain hemorrhage.

Her cards react as he reads them aloud.

Her regret is-

Hey. You know what it's like to have a family, don't you?

Her question interrupts his process.

Don't speak to me.

My son will live, so I'm not afraid of being eliminated. I didn't get to spend much time with him, but I was still able to become a mother. Maybe I won't be able to name him, but I'm sure he'll grow up to be strong even without that. After all, a name only represents one's hopes. It can't change their nature.

I'm sure your parents named you, too. At the very least, quit involving anyone and everyone in your path of selfish destruction. Do it for your parents' sake.

You mean to imply that one can do something for the sake of those who have passed? Death is the end of one's existence. Nothing follows it. That's why those who live should do everything they can for their sake, and their sake alone.

Alan finds himself infuriated by Keiko's words. His face may remain emotionless, but his eyes scream another story.

I have no issue resorting to any means necessary. For my own sake, and to protect what's important to me.

I care not for the consequences of my actions, nor for the people caught up in them. It's just that simple.

His tone is bitter. While her words have riled him up, he never allows his emotions to slip off his tongue. He feels that he's handled the situation in a controlled manner. However, Keiko offers him a smile before continuing.

You're pushing yourself, aren't you?

...Your regret is your child's name.

He says this to cut her off. Next, the three cards whose contents he's spoke aloud float away from him. Once they reach the middle of the Court of Fate, they come together and form a triangular shape. Once in formation, they begin to emit a white light, one by one. Alan knows what comes next, so he closes his eyes and allows it to happen.

…...

BGM: Fall Into...

The event took place in an intensive care unit. A nurse carried a sleeping newborn over to its mother. Its voice, that of an angel. Its existence, the very concept of hope made flesh.

Haru...ki...

One couldn't say for certain whether or not her final words were heard at all.

…...

Names do nothing but chain down those to whom they're attached. There is no hope to be garnered from them.

That is the reason why Alan prefers to take name cards from those he eliminates. He is fully aware that regret cards are the most difficult to obtain. Regardless, he believes with full sincerity that names chain their bearers down. That one can come to understand another by knowing their name.

I – Name
III – Regret
X – Cause of Death
XII – Name

So my name was known. However...

Sticking to his beliefs, he has already decided which card to take.

…...

Keiko...

Numeral XII returns to the court, having finished his election. He chose to take my name card. Of all the options he had, Alan Scorpion purposefully took my name card. Keiko likely had cause of death and regret cards as well, so he must have gone with me because he's already met me in person. I had the option of electing Keiko, too. Had he still tried, I could have created a situation where either Keiko would survive, or he would have to reveal one of his personal cards. But I notice an inherent flaw in the numeral system because of that. I can say for sure that he would never have elected her if I had done so.

Why did he go for your name?!

It'll be fine.

Miharu glares at him. I'd likely do the same if he'd gone for her name. But I'm not glaring. I pierce him with my eyes instead. Not only do I already know his name, but we've already met, and he also knows the area I live in. It was only a matter of time before he found out my name. To my own surprise, I'm not shaking. His presence is imposing as ever, but I can now stare him dead in the eyes without issue.

It's my way of telling him... bring it on.

The resemblance- truly striking...

I don't bother to ask what he means by that. I can't say for sure whether or not he's shouldering a story of his own, but right now, I have zero desire to exchange words with him.

Tonight's session resulted in one elimination. I bid you all farewell for now.

Shortly after, Parca brings an end to tonight's round.

[END OF WEEK THREE: THE HOPE THAT CONNECTS PARENT AND CHILD]

-----

Cardbook has updated.

I – Name – Shishimai Rinka
VIII – Name – Kamebuchi Keiko
VIII – Cause of Death – Brain Hemorrhage
VIII – Regret – Child's Name
XII – Name – Alan Scorpion

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Gotta say while that choice is dramatic, taking the name card for Rinka seems kinda dumb for Alan to do. He's met her outside of the Court of Fate and has to have seen her hair stripe, so he knows she's *distinctive* in real life as well - he could've just asked around the area saying that he found something of hers but needs her name to return it or some other trick and gotten that card fairly easily on his own.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think more saliently...Rinka still doesn't know her cause of death or regret, and narratively it's much less satisfying if we learn that because a competitor took that info from someone else, rather than as a dramatic discovery by Rinka.

It is a bit contrived that he prefers taking the name cards, but, ah well.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Powerless

05/21 (MON), Morning
I wake up feeling refreshed. I must've gotten a good night's sleep for the first time in a while. Keiko has been eliminated, but I don't feel sad about it. Just... empty. My eyes wander over to my table. The letter I received from Keiko and the one I had written are both there. However, when I get up and take a closer look at Keiko's letter, its contents have vanished. Her actions during Divine Selection, as well as their effects, have been erased...

I next check my transcription of her letter and confirm that it remains intact. This proves that those eliminated will be remembered by other participants, but their actions at large will be undone. However...

Not all traces of her actions have been erased.

The letter she gave me still being here proves that much. Had I been eliminated, chances are that my letter wouldn't have disappeared, either. Just what I had written on it. In other words, that goddess can't rewrite the world's events completely. That might explain why Naomi has a faint recollection of an event that is supposed to have been undone. Speaking of Naomi, I'm curious to learn how much she remembers about Keiko. I can't bring myself to ask her, though. I'd rather she remains as uninvolved as possible.

Miharu! Naomi...!

I end up shouting their names without thinking. I can't help myself, considering the circumstances. I grit my teeth and rush to get ready for school.

…...

BGM: At Amecha Girls' University High School

Oh...

I come across Naomi right as I arrive at the school gate. It's a bit awkward seeing her now, after what happened last week. Regardless, I try to act as I usually would, and say good morning to her.

Good morning. I'm going to start preparing for the culture festival today, so I have to come up with ideas for our signboard and decorations. Of course, I also plan on teaching everyone how to brew coffee. I can't say I'm too confident, but I'll do my best to teach them as well as you taught me. Promise me that you'll visit our room during the festival.

Of course I will.

I notice a remarkable difference she's made between Saturday and now. She seems to have changed her hairstyle, as well.

Did you switch to contact lenses?

I did. I actually wanted to make the switch for a while now, so my glasses breaking gave me a great excuse to do so.

After that exchange, we both make our way into the building separately. I can tell she's tiptoeing around what happened last week...

…...

BGM: Intel Investigation Underway

05/21 (MON), Evening
Something else is on my mind all throughout the day at school. Has Keiko's son been born following her elimination? That's why I make my way to the hospital, figuring they will at least tell me that much. As it turns out, he has indeed been born. But at the same time, they inform me that Keiko passed away three weeks ago. With that knowledge gained, I take a seat in the lounge to collect myself. It's not easy to deal with learning that someone's died.

Huh...

When I sit down, a man wearing a suit and carrying a baby passes by. He must have just gotten it examined.

E-Excuse me...

Turns out, it's Keiko's husband. I've never spoken to him before, but I summon the courage to do so now.

…...

BGM: Town

I don't want to keep him for too long, so the conversation only lasts around five minutes. His mother lives close by, he claims, so she's currently taking care of the baby. He left work early today since it needed an examination, though. He said he wants to do as much for the baby as he can. I was worried, considering what Keiko had said about her mother-in-law wanting to give the baby a more trendy name, but she actually sounds like a nice lady. The baby's name, however, really takes me by surprise.

Kamebuchi Haruki.

Through some miracle, he's ended up being given the name that Keiko wanted him to have. Keiko must have told her husband about the reason behind her naming choice while she was still alive. The “Kei” in Keiko represents a type of olive plant in China, as well as Japan's katsura trees. Her name is in reference to how pleasant smells are associated with sincerity. Not only that, but also because her parents wanted her to be as healthy and sturdy as a katsura tree.

Having remembered that after Keiko's death, her husband told his mother that he wanted to decide on the baby's name himself. He wanted to give the child a name linked to trees- like his mother- but couldn't think of anything appropriate. Because he wanted his son to be straightforward and earnest, he decided to use a kanji for “tree” and then added “haru” at the beginning, since the child was born in spring. Thus, Haruki.

I think back to what Keiko had written in her letter.

I never was as healthy and sturdy as they'd hoped, but the desire to be so remained in my heart until the very end. Names represent a parent's hopes and dreams for their child. So please, treasure the name you've been given.

I make my way back to Lion House once our conversation ends. I can't sit and twiddle my thumbs anymore. From here on out, I need to act with dignity.

…...

…...

BGM: Lion House Cafe

05/24 (THU), Evening
Three days have now passed since Keiko's elimination. In terms of information, I'm at a bit of a standstill. I planned on doing more research on Alan, but finding the time has proven difficult, considering I can't just close the store. Time isn't the only issue, either. There's also the fact that I just plain suck at doing proper research. I'm aware that I can't let things go on like this.

...Right.

I decide to close the store and head to the library for a bit today. I can look for business reports and interviews that involve him, maybe. I have to force myself not to consider how much easier it would be if Naomi were with me.

BGM: A Dot on a Piece of Paper

After closing up the store and before going to the library, I come across an unexpected scenario. A lone girl is lying on the pavement. Looks like she's passed out.

Girl: …...

:v: We can't leave this suspiciously familiar girl just lying on the sidewalk, we're a responsible teenager!

-Talk to her.
-Leave her be.

E-Excuse me...

I tap on her shoulder and call out to her with concern in my voice.

Girl: Uuuugh...

...Huh?

She reacted to my voice, so I know she's conscious, at least. At first I thought I'd have to call an ambulance, but it looks like there's no need.

After a while, she turns to look at me. I feel myself turn pale as her face is revealed by the sunlight.

You're...!

I've seen her three times. Not just anywhere, but in the dream world. At the Court of Fate. This is Numeral X.

Why are you here...? Don't tell me you know my name, as well...!

If that's the case, this is bad. It would mean I've spent too much time on things other than Divine Selection. I was so caught up in investigating Alan that I forgot about all the other participants.

My name is Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna. Way too long, so call me Sonya.
Her VA is listed as simply 'Rinne'; as a result, I couldn't find anything out about her VA.

She doesn't even stand up to introduce herself.

Are you all right? Like, in the head?

I insult her almost out of instinct. But can you blame me? No participant should just introduce themselves like that!

I have a request.

I say nothing, so she keeps on going.

I must ask that you please give me food, for I cannot move in my current state.

She asks for a meal in a very stilted manner of speaking. Based on the blonde hair and blue eyes, I presume she's from Russia or somewhere else in northern Europe. She shouldn't be able to understand or speak Japanese without the aid of her card book, either. However, unlike Alan, there are noticeable flaws in her language fluency. I don't even have my book on me right now, which must mean...

Do you... understand Japanese?

Yes. I love Japan lots. I'm sorry, but my hunger is almost at its limit. I will lose my ability to speak in approximately five seconds.

Whoa, hold on!

She shuts her mouth after dropping that bombshell, as if her battery has run out of juice.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 26, 2021

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
"My name is Sofiya Alexeievna. Please call me Sonya."

"Oh, she must be from northern Europe!"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Regular Ordinary Girlish Chat

05/24 (THU), Night
I do feel sorry for her, so I end up taking her to a nearby family restaurant. There's plenty to eat at Lion House, but letting another participant in probably isn't the smartest course of action. Thus, I brought her here instead. I'm shocked to learn that she seems to have told the truth about her name. I checked my book before leaving, and lo and behold, I had obtained a new card.

She hasn't uttered a single word after her food-related shutdown, so I order her some spaghetti bolognese and Salisbury steak. Those seem like safe bets for someone her age. When the food does arrive, Sonya's body shoots up, straight as an arrow.

Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!

I thought you were unable to speak!

She ignores my reaction and proceeds to dig in. I figure she'll go hog wild, but nope. She takes the time to wrap the pasta around her fork- she even uses the knife and fork to cut the Salisbury steak. She even finishes off all the corn that comes on the side without issue. What's more, she eats all the pasta without splashing any sauce! Hard to believe that someone who just collapsed from hunger could be such a dainty eater.

Deee-licious! Japanese food is truly exquisite! Thank you for saving me from death by starvation.

I'm pretty sure we were told that we can't die outside of being eliminated...

I wonder what would've happened if I ignored her. No point in thinking about it, I guess. Chances are someone else would've done the same thing I did. The big city might be somewhat heartless, but I doubt people would be willing to ignore a child who had collapsed on the street.

Now that you're revitalized, it's time to tell me all about you.

Call me Sonya! Also, I apologize for the blunt request, but...

Oh, looks like she can use some more difficult words after all. I brought my book along, and her bag looks like it can fit hers, so right now we should both have them with us... Despite that, her stilted speech remains. She really must be speaking Japanese all on her own. If she were speaking Russian, then the book would translate it into fluent Japanese for me.

It seems that I happen to still be hungry. Could I mayhap order something else...?

I am about to say no and that she's had enough, but then she unleashes the sad puppy dog eyes on me.

Argh, fine. But only something small, okay?

I heave a sigh after checking my purse. I wish I knew why I'm being this kind to another participant.

Wow, there's so much here!

She struggles to contain her excitement at the menu options.

This is my first time coming to a family restaurant! There's so much that I don't know what to choose! From Western, to Japanese, to Chinese... They even have borscht! Now I think I am curious about Japan's take on my homeland's food...

Your wording sure gets weird sometimes... So I take it you're Russian?

I am! Technically, borscht is from Ukraine, but it is also a Russian cuisine staple.

How can you be this excited over a family restaurant, then? I'm fairly sure they exist in Russia, as well...

I rarely get to leave the house, you see... Also, I've decided! I will have the negitorodon, oyakodon, and katsudon!

Not going for the borscht, huh...? Hang on, are you sure about this? You're gonna get a ton of rice. Wait, no. I don't remember saying you could get three more entrees.

Am... Am I not allowed?

She tilts her head and rubs her stomach.

Just... make sure you eat all of it...

Sonya watches with starry eyes as I press the buzzer that summons one of the wait staff. Guess she's never seen that, either.

Ahh...

I can't help but sigh in disbelief at how big of a pushover I am, while she happily eats her bowls of food. I really am an easy target, aren't I? It could all be part of her plan, too... She uses the fact that she's a kid to lure me into a false sense of security, and then takes advantage of it to get all sorts of info out of me. Granted, I don't get that impression from her whatsoever. Especially when she's the one who revealed her own information to me.

I sigh again, this time in regards to how confusing this whole situation is. Ugh, my head hurts...

Phew... Now I'm stuffed. Thank you for the food.

She's cleaned out all three bowls without skipping a beat.

You... can use chopsticks, too?

Yes! I love Japan, so I studied lots about its culture and language. I am aware that Japan is the land of samurai and magical girls! It would be my pleasure to meet them someday. Incidentally, my young miss...

Okay, stop. You're definitely not calling me that. I can't tell you my name either, so... how about 'sis'?

Very well, sister! I have another request to make of you.

I decide to not bother pointing out that I told her to just use 'sis'.

I'm guessing your request is for some dessert? Fine, but promise me we'll talk once you're done.

Yes, I promise! Oh, oh! Let me press the button, though!

She ends up getting both a parfait and a cake for dessert. How can she fit all that into her tiny body? Watching her eat makes me want to get something for myself, so I order a small parfait.

…...

Delish!

She gives me a thorough review of her dessert after obliterating it. I'm amazed she finishes both of hers before I do mine, even if I am taking it slow.

That should be enough... right?

I make it obvious that it's time for her to talk. She may be a kid, but this is still a negotiation. I give her food in exchange for her telling me what's going on. Why she was collapsed outside Lion House, and why she revealed her name so readily.

Very well. My name is Sofiya Pressnitz Alexeievna. Way too long, so call me Sonya.

Yeah, we did that part already!

...Your reactions are fun, sister!

Are you messing with me?

But your voice is also scary...

Whaddya mean 'also'?! What else about me is scary?

Your face. I thought you looked scary from the moment I first saw you.

So she says with a bright and beaming smile. In all honesty, I'm aware that I can look prety scary at times, but being told that to my face kind of hurts.

Right, that's enough of changing the subject.

I'm sorry. I just wanted to talk more because you're a kind person, but that was perhaps rude of me.

Not to worry, though. The next participant to be eliminated will be me.

She keeps her smile, but something about her looks sad when she says that. It takes me a moment to process her words, despite the obvious meaning behind them.

…...

BGM: Silence
I'm not sure how this situation has come about. We're in the middle of the big city, so naturally the place is crowded. There are plenty of customers waiting to be seated. In other words, the staff kindly ask us to leave after a while. Even though we are in the middle of a conversation. I still haven't fully digested what she means, either. That's why...

Wow! This is a very nice store!

I end up taking Sonya with me back to Lion House. It's the only place I can think of where we're able to sit down and talk. Sonya looks like a middle-school student at best, so I doubt much harm can come from this. There's also the fact that the police might've stopped us somewhere. Hard to avoid suspicion when a girl in her school uniform is walking around with a foreign child at night.

Meow.

I-It's a kitty cat!

You really do know some random words... Didn't realize you were here, Lethe.

Feels like I haven't seen Lethe in a while, actually. I know it's been fine, since it still made sure to eat the food I'd leave out for it.

Meow, meow! Japan's cats are just as cute as I read about! Look, Passazhir, it's a cat!

Meow.

Passazhir is in reference to Sonya's stuffed animal. It's one of those small plushies you find in toy stores. They fit nicely into your hand. This one's a bear, so it might be appropriate to call it a teddy bear. Sonya is poking and prodding Lethe with it. It'd scratch me up if I tried to do the same considering its personality, but right now it's sitting back and taking it despite its obvious displeasure. I wonder if it realizes it's dealing with a child?

Oh, well. Let me get some milk for you.

And some for me, too!

Yeah, yeah. Hold your horses.

At least I can go about things at my leisure since we're in my house. I place Sonya's share on the table, and Lethe's bowl underneath. Once she sits down, I take the seat across from her. Lethe wastes no time in diving into the milk once finally free of Sonya's grasp. I guess it really didn't enjoy that experience...

-----

Cardbook has updated.

III – Name – Federico Carminati
IV – Cause of Death – Fire
IX – Regret – Gold Medal
X – Name – Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

That sure is some mood whiplash.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Rinka's Room

Let us continue where we left off.

She places both of her hands on the glass and takes a sip. You can tell she was raised to be a proper lady based on how she handles things like that. I thought the same back at the family restaurant. I nod as a means to urge her to continue. She almost seems like a different person compared to how she was messing around with Lethe.

I meant what I said. You believed me, yes? That's why you brought me here. I will tell you all about me. But first, I would like to know, please. Why did you believe me?

Let's see... There's not much for you to gain by saying that after revealing your name to me. That, plus it didn't seem like you were fishing for info on me.

It's not like I trusted her out of instinct. And certainly not because she's a kid. That's why I took a detour on our way back here. There could've been someone following us on the off chance that she's cooperating with other participants, so I wanted to make sure of that first.

Sorry to say this, but I don't flat-out trust you. Logic only dictates that you weren't lying.

I only trust in myself.

Despite your appearance, you are a kind person.

...You could have left that first part out.

Meow.

Just as we are about to get into the thick of it, Lethe meows and lies down underneath the table. I assume it feels satisfied after having its milk.

Sonya watches it curl up with a smile on her face.

We had a cat at my house, too. I was always too ill to leave, so it was one of my few friends. The others were books, the Internet... and Passazhir. Yes, you see, my cause of death was illness. I can go into further detail if you wish.

That's all right. I'd rather hear more about you. Keep going.

While not enough to create a new card, I still opt to listen to her life's story instead. The fact that she's telling me this means she's fine with revealing her cause of death. She really is convinced that she'll be the next person eliminated. But why?

Much like you, Divine Selection has given me another brief chance to live my life. I told Papa and Mama about it, and they became convinced when they realized that I was feeling much better than usual. However, my condition will likely be the way it was before, even if I do survive these twelve weeks. I won't make it much longer either way.

So you don't think surviving would also cure you of your condition?

Yes, that is what I believe. That's why I don't mind losing. So long as I can experience as much of the outside world during this time that I can, I'm happy. From what I learned about the world at home, Japan caught my interest the most. That's why I wanted to experience its culture... Not the ninja and samurai, but Japan as it is now.

I was rather excited when I obtained my card book. Japan's anime holds a special place in my heart, and in one magical girl anime, the girl transformed and fought using a book and cards similar to these. Not being able to experience the outside world is my regret. That's why I want to do so now.

Her words trigger my own book lighting up, creating a new card. Sonya smiles when she sees that happen. But unlike her smile in the family restaurant, there is an echo of sadness within it. Her child-like innocence clashes heavily with her mature realization that she's just come a step closer to being eliminated.

After observing the situation for a while, we finally decided to take a family trip to Japan together. Papa and Mama may forget about our trip once I'm eliminated, but at the very least, I wanted to make the most of my remaining time.

You're alone right now, so I assume something happened with them?

Yes, that's right. While we were observing the situation, those with my name card were also watching us.

They had set a trap for us the moment we landed by means of our taxi.

A trap...?

Yes. They posed as taxi drivers and threatened to kill Papa and Mama if I didn't tell them all my information.

The worst possible situation springs to mind when I hear that. It sounds like something Alan Scorpion would do.

Was Numeral XII involved, by chance?

No...

Her denial only serves to worry me more. All it means is that there are others willing to resort to the same methods as him.

BGM: Villain

It was Numeral II and Numeral XI. Those two are working together.

Oh, those two!

Have you met them before?

I shake my head in response. Numeral III – Federico Carminati. I ended up with his name card during the initial distribution. Having seen him in the dream world multiple times, I know he's tall and slender. As for Numeral XI, she's the one responsible for eliminating Numeral VII. Much like Alan, her eyes are as frigid as they come. Those two working together definitely comes as a surprise. I figured I would have the advantage against Numeral III because I have his name card, but if he's with her, that's no longer the case. Realizing that I've interrupted her, I apologize and wait for her to pick up where she left off.

I told them everything to save Papa and Mama, but the man said it wasn't enough. He wanted to know about the other cards I held, too. I happened to have one of Numeral XI's cards. Her regret card.

So I looked her in the eye and said that I could tell him, but it would lead to bad results for them. I expected her to get angry, but she just laughed.

“drat! She's got more guts than that old geezer, despite her age. That's what I'm talking about. I can't believe Sonya threatened me, y'know? Geez, if she wants to see the world, maybe I'll let her after showing that kind of bravado. Say what you will, but I like this kid.”

Numeral XI was apparently full of cheer as she praised Sonya for her rebellious act. She had a condition, though. Sonya wasn't allowed to be with her parents until her last day, as a means to prevent them from trying anything. So long as she did that, they were willing to both spare her parents and let her do as she pleased.

Oh, come on! She just wanted to prevent you from using her face and regret as a means to get more information on her!

...Oops. Sorry for shouting out of nowhere.

While your voice may sound scary, I know that your words are kind. Not many would get angry for the sake of someone they need to eliminate. Well, as long as Papa and Mama are safe, I'm okay. Besides, like I said, I wouldn't live for long regardless.

Have you acknowledged your own death, then?

What do you mean, acknowledged...?

Well... Do you feel that it's going to happen, no matter what?

Yes. I have, even before Divine Selection began. I knew I would die as soon as I found out about my condition.

That might explain the sadness in her smile earlier. I'm not sure whether the doctors or her parents told her, but she's likely been informed of how long she has to live multiple times. But just by looking at her, I can tell that she's been raised with love. However, her inevitable death has probably been looming over her head ever since she found out. Just because she knows and has accepted her death doesn't mean she isn't scared to face it, of course.

...It must've been tough for you.

I pat her head. I should have learned with Keiko that getting attached to other participants is dangerous, and yet I can't stop myself. Sonya likely gave up on her life and chose to act like she's fine for the sake of her parents and those around her. I refuse to believe that she's truly accepted it, though. Her expression right now proves it to me.

I knew what was in store for me for a long time, so I told myself that things weren't tough... But now... I'm not so sure...

I don't have the means to provide her with true salvation. I do feel for her, though. No one should have to go through what she has at such a young age, but I can't give my own life in exchange. I can't forget that I just met her today, too. We're not even friends. And yet, for some reason, I'm wracking my brain for her sake. This entire time, she's been wearing a peculiar expression on her face. She likely doesn't truly understand her feelings yet. Not that I can blame her; I'm in the same boat.

Lethe has disappeared at some point during our chat. The light reflects off its empty milk bowl, casting a strong shadow. I spend the rest of the time just patting Sonya's head.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

IX – Regret – Gold Medal
X – Regret – Seeing the World

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Good Morning (20XX XX XX)

05/25 (FRI), Morning
Good morning!

Waugh!

It is time to wakey-wakey!

I struggle to muffle my own voice as I hear someone else's shouting into my ear. The voice belongs to none other than Sonya. She revealed last night that she had no lodging plans, so I agreed to let her stay here to avoid her having to roam the streets.

I was surprised you let me stay, though. I was of the impression that I could stay at one of those so-called manga cafes with ease.

Sounds to me like you've been browsing the internet too much, young lady. Besides, those aren't exactly hotels in the first place...

She tilts her head inquisitively in response to my surprise. I know a lot of people do stay overnight at them, but I can't see anyone getting a good night's sleep on a chair. That, and I doubt they'd let a kid in there so late at night.

Are you okay with your decision, though?

She tilts her head in the opposite direction, this time with wide and hopeful eyes. She's referring to a promise I made with her last night. I promised to give her a tour of Japan, even if it's a brief one. She may be able to speak Japanese, but this is still a whole new culture for her. That, and...

It'll be a lot more fun with two people, won't it?

Sister... I'm glad I came across someone as kind as you. That alone makes coming to Japan worth it.

Save that for after you've made some good memories. Don't forget that we're staying within Tokyo.

There's good meaning behind doing this during Divine Selection. So long as I survive, her memories and experiences here in Japan won't disappear.

Oh, and don't forget that I've got to go to school, so we need to meet at Shinjuku station in the evening.

Understood!

She smiles and raises an arm into the air as part of her enthusiastic reply. If only I had realized then what it was she kept hidden behind that smile.

…...

Good morning, Rinka.

Mo-rinny!

Good morning.

Yo, did you notice that I turned 'Morning, Rinny' into one word?

Coming to school has helped me to settle down lately. Being reminded that I've still got a regular life despite everything does wonders for one's mental state.

Aw, you're gonna ignore it?

What kinda reaction were you expecting from me...?

Welp, g'night, my friends.

Hehe. It's always a touch relieving to see Mao act as she always does.

Mao lets the comment fly over her head and sprawls out over her desk instead. I bet she's pulled another all-nighter. If that's the case, good luck waking her up before lunchtime. It's impossible for me to not smile at that freedom of hers. No matter what happens, I'll always have this place. Yeah.

…...

05/25 (FRI), Noon
Screw lunch! I'm still tired, so... back to sleep I go!

Well then, we may as well go up to the rooftop.

Yeah. What've you been up to that makes you this tired, though?

Stayed up watching a drama 'cuz they were airing the whole thing at once online. By the time it was over, there was the sun.

Wait, so you didn't get any sleep at all?

That's why I'm sleeping now...

Yeah, she's out of the game. Miharu seems to be thinking the same thing.

…...

BGM: Miharu

When was the last time the two of us managed to get time alone like this?

We make our way up to the rooftop after buying lunch. Miharu is eating light, as usual. Today really is one of those perfect days for sitting up here. And yet, the fact that we're the only ones doing it proves that we really are avoided by others. To be honest, I feel like that's more of a blessing than a curse these days.

I have to admit, I'm happy that we can still spend time together like this, even while Divine Selection is happening.

She accompanies her comment with that usual charming smile of hers. As for me...

:v: Well jeez Rinka, don't kill the mood here!

-I'm happy, too.
-It's a bit awkward.

I'm happy about it, too.

Rinka...

You're probably going through some tough times thanks to this whole situation as well, so... just being able to sit here and forget about it for a while really is nice.

I really meant what I said... I know that I'll do everything I can for the sake of your smi-

Let's... not get into that for the time being.

Miharu's expression as she declared her intention to give her life for mine flashes across my mind all of a sudden. I've gotten over a lot of things lately, but that's not one of them.

Oh, sorry... Well, do you mind if I ask you something?

She changes the topic before preparing to bite into her sandwich.

You haven't been meeting with Naomi recently, have you?

It is a pretty standard question, but her face looks deadly serious.

She's gotten really good at brewing coffee now, so there's no need for me to keep coaching her. Besides, she's busy with culture festival preparations.

...Something happened between you two, right?

I haven't told Miharu that Naomi was helping me out. That would put unnecessary pressure on them both. And it's why I have no idea how to answer her question. Miharu persists despite my hesitation, though.

There's a stark difference between asking another participant like me for help as opposed to someone uninvolved like her. You realized how dangerous things could get, and then you decided to put some distance between you, correct? It was the right call.

Don't ask how I know about this, though. I just need you to understand that I'm not as dense as you when it comes to how people interact with one another.

:allears:

Naomi's attitude has been very different than usual, starting with last week. You could say she looked like she had a true purpose motivating her.

...I guess I shouldn't have tried to hide it from you.

Don't worry about that. I'm aware that you did it with me and Mao in mind.

Thanks, Miharu. But you're right. I made sure that she won't help me out anymore. I'll handle the rest on my own.

If only you'd ask me for help... but no...

Huh?

Wait.

Miharu casts her eyes over to the entrance, and then speaks to me in a whisper.

We're being watched. I heard a noise coming from over there just now.

You sure it's not another student?

That wouldn't be an issue. But what if it's not?

The implication is clear. We can't discount the possibility of another participant having made their way into the school to keep an eye on us.

I'll open the door.

No, let's open it together. We're best off in the worst-case scenario that way.

She nods and we make our way to the door under the pretense that we're heading back to class. We don't hear any footsteps, so it's likely that they are still there. As it turns out, our guess is right on the money.

BGM: Regular Ordinary Girlish Chat

Uhhh...

You're...!

Sister... my stomach has reached its limit yet again...

Mind explaining this?

Miharu directs her question at me.

Uh, well... This'll take a while to explain...

This is one of those rare times where I can't help but clasp my hands on top of my head in a panic.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

BGM: Welcome Back, my Master E

05/25 (FRI), Evening
Sorry, Rinka... but even I have to point out how dumb this situation is.

Yeah. I'm well aware.

Wowee! So this is a maid cafe! I've heard much about them!

Sonya wanders around the store, taking in every aspect of it. I suppose this isn't the kind of place you'd find in Russia. In an ideal world, I wouldn't have come here. Not to say that maid cafes are bad in general, but I don't really like standing out among the predominantly male customer base.

Plenty of anime and manga are set in schools, so that seems to have led Sonya to take an interest in what they're really like. Seems she had to enroll in a correspondance school due to her condition, which meant that she'd never actually had the chance to go to a physical school. As such, going to one was part of being able to see the world at large in her eyes. That's why she snuck into Amecha High to watch what I was doing. I figured she would've been caught doing so, but she gave me this excuse...

I trained myself in the art of the ninja, so I had no issues!

She made some wacky hand gestures at the same time. Apparently, they're from an anime that had aired while I was in elementary school.

Your kindness is something I should be proud of as your friend, but...

You're going to do more damage than you think if you finish that sentence.

Miharu is obviously baffled, so I could only give her a timid response. Lunch break ended not long after we discovered Sonya, so we had to get her to lay low somewhere until school was over. On our way back, I explained that I let her stay at my place. Once Miharu mentioned that she had to go to work, the topic shifted to what Miharu's job entailed. Sonya's odd impressions about certain parts of Japan have led her to believe that maid cafes represent the country just as much as places like Kiyomizu Temple, so she's pretty much forced us to take her.

You don't regret your decision, do you?

...I don't.

In that case, I can still say I'm proud of you.

Sonya makes her way back to our table just as we wrap up our conversation. There are a number of ornaments and notes littering the store, so it's not uncommon for customers to leave their seats. However, it certainly is odd for a girl her age to be wandering around a store like this. That's why all eyes are on us when she returns.

Maids are normally in charge of household chores, correct? Why did you become one when you're only in high school?

I'm only working here part-time. Also, you won't find the kind of maids you're imagining here in Japan.

C'mon, no need to crush her dreams...

Oh-ho, I see. And here I was thinking you were secretly Magical Girl Miharu.

More importantly, how do you know my na- Oh, you must've overheard Rinka using it.

What is this so-called 'special' pancake?

Yuck, they've got those here? Uh, basically, the maid draws something on it and recites a spell to make it taste delicious...

A spell! How interesting! I'll have one, then!

The entire store gasps in horror upon hearing her request.

Hold on.

Rinka, I... Erm, that menu option doesn't quite fit with my character here, so ideally I'd be able to refuse her request...

Not that I'd blame you.

Right? Let's just say that those pancakes aren't particularly good in the first place. Certainly not worth the 5000 yen price tag. I assume you know why they're so expensive. Moreover, this particular menu item exists soley to squeeze more money out of single customers. I'd rather not have you enable the manager's wicked business tactics.

So I don't get any?

Unfortunately not, unless you're willing to ask someone other than me.

Just then, the manager calls Miharu over. I guess he's noticed our little conversation.

BGM: WARNING

Her expression upon returning is an awkward mix of anger and despair. She places a tray with a pancake on our table and then doodles something on it using a chocolate pen. A stuffed animal, shaped to look similar to the one Sonya carries.

Amazing! Look, Passazhir! It's you! Are you going to cast a spell on it for me next?

I need to do this... in front of Rinka? Sorry... but I'm going to curse you for the rest of my life now.

Miharu shoots Sonya the most evil glare I've seen from her. It's not the kind of expression you'd normally show to a child. She then turns to me, looking more serious than I've ever seen her.

You listening, Rinka? What I'm about to do is only a part of this job, okay? That's why I need you to forget all about it once you leave.

She looks ever so tense. Hearing that causes all sorts of scenarios to run through my head, which leads me to feel embarrassed on her behalf before she even does it. She inhales sharply and lifts her index finger into the air.

Nummy nummy pancake for your tummy! ♡

She spins her index fingers in the air a few times before creating the shape of a heart by cupping both hands together, which she then thrusts out toward the pancake.

BGM: Welcome Back, my Master E
I have finally borne witness to one of Japan's magical girls at work!

Sonya is likely oblivious to the emotions Miharu is keeping tucked away behind that smile. Instead, she is tickled pink that she's gotten to witness something so rare. Meanwhile, Miharu hasn't moved an inch after striking her pose. She does all in her power to not make eye contact with me.

Th-That was really cute...

Ugh... I'll never live this one down...

I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes when I muttered that either, so Miharu covers her face in shame and runs off to the back room.

Why is your face all red?

I feel... guilty. I should've tried harder to stop her...

Once Sonya has finished her meal, I make sure to get our bill right away. Speaking of the bill, Sonya pays using the credit card she has on her. It's the only reason I let her order in the first place. As we are about to leave, Miharu returns from the back room. She's back in her school uniform. It would seem she's managed to get off early for the day, although I make sure not to ask how or why.

I want to look around Akihabara!

Oh yeah, you mentioned that. I'm not too familiar with Akihabara, though...

Then I'll join you. You're fine with that, aren't you, Rinka?

Miharu comes here often, so we'd be better off having her guide us.

Besides, it's not like I trust you yet. I'd rather not leave the two of you alone.

I can't call Miharu out, not even for her harsh tone. While I trust Sonya, I'm still aware of the risks involved in being with her like this.

Are you taking us, then? There's lots and lots I want to see!

Sonya shows little care for our concerns in that regard.

She really is brimming with innocence, isn't she?

Having decided on what to do next, we finally leave the maid cafe.

…...

05/25 (FRI), Night
Shinjuku station is packed due to everyone making their way home from work. The three of us take the Sobu line from Akihabara back to Shinjuku, and then get off so we can make our respective transfers.

I didn't think we'd spend that much time there.

It was great!

Hahaha...

By the time we finish touring Akihabara, I am beat. I usually only ever get off there to make a quick transfer, so I honestly had no idea what it'd be like. I noticed tons of anime and electronics stores while we walked around. Sonya kept stopping in front of and going into stores that caught her interest, so it's safe to say that she pretty much dragged us wherever she wanted.

Your knowledge of Japan's wonderful anime is lacking, sister! What a waste!

I used to watch a fair bit when I was younger, but I didn't realize just how much there is. If it were manga, I'd know a bit more, but... not as much as you two.

You should learn from Miharu!

...I make sure to keep up to date thanks to my job. It's easier to please the customers when you can talk about these things with them.

When I think about it, I've barely watched any anime at all recently. I've kept myself busy by helping out with the store, and my time's tied up in it even more now that I'm in charge of it.

You read a fair amount of shoujo manga, don't you?

Yeah, I've borrowed a decent amount from Mao.

You may look scary, but deep down, you still like girly things!

...It's one of the best things about her.

Hey! Shouldn't you be denying that I look scary?

As we make our way back to the subway entrance, Miharu follows alongside us. ...Which is odd of her, considering she should've gone in the opposite direction at Akihabara to get home. When I decide to ask her why she's tagging along, she answers with a smile.

It's simple. I'll be staying over at your place tonight, as well. Leaving you and Sofiya alone is still a bit too dangerous, after all.

Huh? Tomorrow's a weekday, you know...

I can make my way back home early in the morning. That is, after I make sure Sofiya doesn't take you out while you're sleeping.

Hey now, no need to say it like that...

Take her out? Do we need to go somewhere else?

Maybe you're a bit too young to understand the meaning behind it. But as I said before, I still don't trust you.

Aww...

She looks sad at first, but then flips right back to her bright expression.

I did get to visit a lot of fun places thanks to that!

You're taking her somewhere else tomorrow, right? In that case, I'll join. Naturally, I'll be staying overnight again, too. But don't worry, I'll do what I can to not sour the experience for her. All right?

I'm fine with it, but what about your mom?

She hesistates before nodding her head and telling me it'll be fine. With that sorted out, we discuss where to go tomorrow as we make our way back. Miharu never appeared openly hostile towards Sonya today, but you could tell things were a bit awkward.

…...

That Salisbury steak was delicious, Miharu!

Sonya feels the need to praise Miharu for her cooking after we head up to my room after dinner. Miharu was the one to propose making it on our way home, in all honesty.

It really was. I'd heard you were a good cook, but that was somehow even better than expected.

It's hard not to improve when you cook on a daily basis. And it was a good opportunity to let you taste my cooking for the first time. Now I can look forwared to trying yours.

Sure, but... um, don't set your expectations too high.

It's funny, but I cook every day, too. Granted, most of the time I buy a number of small meals and mix them together. I usually stick to simple things, so that's probably why I never seem to get any better. As for the food on the Lion House menu? I can only make that thanks to my gran's recipes.

Next, we take our respective turns in the bath, and then spend the night watching TV and chatting away.

…...

05/25 (FRI), Midnight
Mmm...

What time is it? I can tell it's not morning yet, but for some reason, I've woken up.

Huh...?

Something isn't right. And I realize what it is immediately.

Neither Miharu nor Sonya are anywhere in sight. I figure something's up, and then I hear voices coming from downstairs. Fearing the worst, I make my way to the stairs.

I stop halfway down, though. I'm not sure what they're talking about, but Miharu sounds rather serious. She obviously doesn't want me hearing or knowing what they're talking about if she took Sonya downstairs with her. I realize that listening in on other people's conversations isn't admirable, and yet I can't bring myself to go back to my room.

...don't you?

...Yes.

I can hear them clearly once Miharu seems to change the subject.

As I thought, something isn't quite right.

How so...?

You called me by name before Rinka ever said it in front of you. That means you already knew it. I ask this already knowing the answer, but... you have my name card, don't you?

...I'm sorry.

Why are you apologizing?

Because I never told you about having it.

...You're really throwing me for a loop.

Miharu sighs and massages her brow with her fingers.

Fine, whatever. Just remember this. My name is Mishima Miharu.

Yes. I won't deny that.

...You're an interesting kid, you know that?

Miharu's name card. I know her full name, and yet somehow I don't have it. That can only mean that her real name is something other than what I know her as. Well, it's not too surprising when you consider her circumstances at home. It's also why I've never asked her about it.

I know you're up there, Rinka.

…!

Sister!

I cover my mouth by reflex when Miharu calls my name, despite knowing that it will make a slapping sound.

Did you honestly think that I of all people wouldn't notice the sound of your breathing?

...Sorry.

No shortage of apologies for me today, huh? I'm not sure how much you heard, but either way, do me a favor and forget about it. And Sofiya, sorry for waking you up in the middle of the night. You need as much sleep as you can get, so let's go back upstairs.

Yeah, okay.

I want to discuss things with Miharu now that the cat's out of the bag, but we decide it is best to go back to my room after watching Sonya let out a big yawn. Basically, I don't get to find out anything regarding Miharu's name card.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Miharu you are doing nothing to erase my suspicions of you. I don't doubt her sincerity towards protecting Rinka, but I doubt literally everything else. (Now watch me turn out to be the rear end in a top hat.)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm pretty impressed by this so far. Not going Full Game Theory like I feared.

Still trying to work out how I feel about Miharu, probably will keep trying until she gets the big reveal of her secrets.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I would buy the collector's edition of this game for Rinkas shirt.

But it doesn't have it :v:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I guess they're dropping the 'I'm not telling you my name, call me "sister"' thing then, since Miharu just repeatedly called her Rinka and Rinka didn't react at all. Not sure if we were supposed to take that as a given since she let Sonya stay overnight and there's probably a hundred things around the house with her name on them.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: allusion to self-harm

05/25 (FRI), Noon
School ends up flying by somehow. Once classes are over, the three of us met up at the gate. We couldn't have Sonya infiltrate the school again, so we got her to wander around the university campus instead. Not only is it open to everyone, but there's a library there as well. I'm sure she surprised a few students there, but oh well. However, once we meet up, I realize getting her to do that was a mistake.

The university here seems like fun.

Sonya...

Her words pierce my heart. She'll never have the opportunity to attend a university, regardless of Divine Selection's outcome. Even if she were to win somehow, it wouldn't cure her condition. Whether or not she really would die soon after is uncertain, but at the very least, she's convinced herself that it's certain.

Don't beat yourself up, Rinka. Right?

Right! I'm happy that I got to see something new!

Okay, we should get going. There's lots for us to see today.

I can't wait to see anything and everything!

Things seem fine between the two of them. I guess they've put whatever happened last night behind them. Like Miharu said, we've got plenty to see today. We make our way toward the station.

…...

05/25 (FRI), Night
It's hard to sum up all the places we've visited. First was Tokyo Skytree. After that, Sensoji Temple. We made sure to avoid the busy area, but we still got a good look at Kaminarimon. We saw Roppongi Hills from a distance, as well. But before that, we paid a visit to Jinbocho since it served as the setting for an old anime. Walking from place to place would have been a bit much, so we used a taxi instead. Sonya's parents must be rich, since she paid for everything with her credit card just like she did at the maid cafe. That helped a lot, especially because we also went to Odaiba. After getting on the Ferris wheel and seeing the Fuji Television building, we had to turn right around to reach our final stop.

Said last stop is Zojoji Temple. It's said to be a time-honored temple with ties to the Tokugawa family from the Edo period. That, and something about Pure Land Buddhism... Based on what we're seeing here, a lot of bands and artists use the open area for concerts. The area's name and those of its surrounding stations are based on the name of the huge gate at the entrance to the temple, so it goes without saying just how impressive it all is. It's only thirty or so minutes from the station, and yet I had no idea this place even existed.

Ugh, I'm exhausted...

I figured we'd be fine since we're on our feet most of the time when we're working, but this really has been taxing.

Meanwhile, Sonya walks ahead of us as we complain about our aching feet.

BGM: Amusement Park (Bright Night)

Wow!

She blurts out an exclamation of wonder as she points at Tokyo Tower, visible off in the distance. You can see it clearly past the temple. Its huge red frame is decorated with all sorts of colored lighting. Obviously, I've seen it before. But seeing it this close and at night is a completely different experience.

It's so pretty...

Yeah...

Tokyo is such a nice place!

All three of us are entranced by the sight of Tokyo Tower glimmering in the night for a good while. It brings back memories of the parade and light show I saw together with Miharu at the theme park. Divine Selection wasn't even on my mind back then. Never would I have imagined that I'd wind up in a situation like this. I wonder if Sonya's reflecting on her life right now. There is a hint of sorrow on her face as she looks up at Tokyo Tower.

I'm happy I had the opportunity to see something this lovely. I'm so happy that it's... making me feel worried.

Her eyes water and reflect the light coming from the tower. She raises her gaze higher into the night sky, but it does little to keep the tears from running down her cheeks.

This has to be the happiest moment of my life.

My first time experiencing the world... And it's... it's also the last...

BGM: Two Crossing Paths -S/I V/S-
The floodgates damming her tears have broken. I understand that feeling all too well. She can't keep up the faηade any longer. Her bright smile has been snuffed out by this outburst.

It's... it's all over...

Sniff... Today is... my last... waah... Waaahhhh!

I feel my own eyes start to water, but I do everything in my power to hold it in. I move to hug her, but Miharu notices and shakes her head at me.

Don't let yourself get too attached.

She says this quietly enough so that only I hear her. I can't stop myself, though. If crying together with her isn't an option, then I want her to know I'm here for her, at the very least. There's no doubt she'll crumble in front of reality otherwise.

Sonya...

Waaahhh! Sister! Papa! Mama! I told myself that I accepted my situation, but it's not true... Now that I know the world is full of beautiful things like this... But my time here is running out... Sniff... Waaahhh!

Time slows to a crawl while Sonya lets all her emotions out. The light from the tower reflects off her tears, causing them to shine like precious jewels.

Rinka...

Miharu starts to say something, but stops herself. Once Sonya finally settles down, we make our way back to Lion House.

…...

It's 9 p.m. by the time we get back. Going out to buy stuff for dinner, not to mention making it, would've taken even longer, so we end up ordering some pizza. Needless to say, the three of us wolf it down immediately.

Delicious! Japan's food truly is the best!

C'mon. I know for a fact that you can get pizza delivered in Russia as well.

I always had to watch what I ate before this. That's why I'm happy I can eat whatever I want now!

Her tone may be cheery, but there's a certain weight hidden behind her each and every word. Miharu manages to keep things from becoming awkward, though.

...I'm a bit upset you didn't cook, to be honest.

We have to be mindful of the time. Besides, I don't think I've had pizza delivered since I was a kid.

Well, I can't imagine you'd have much opportunity to do so while living with your grandmother.

Yeah. She was never big on getting stuff delivered in the first place, except some soba now and then. She's not against pizza itself, considering she'd make it here every so often. In fact, she'd eat pretty much anything. To the point where she'd always go on about how not being fussy about food is the secret behind her being so healthy.

She really is healthy for her age, too. She really enjoys bragging about still having all her teeth intact.

I see you take after her in that regard.

Ahaha... Yeah, I must.

Your grandmother must be a wonderful person!

Hehe. She's the one who raised Rinka, so you're right about that.

So says Miharu, who I'm pretty sure hasn't actually met my gran.

There is plenty to talk about while we eat our dinner. The topics often revolve around Sonya's family. Her grandmother in particular sounds like a nice person, and she's apparently good at sewing. In fact, she's the one who made Passazhir for Sonya.

I never had any friends, so my grandmother gifted Passazhir to me so I wouldn't be lonely while reading books and watching anime. ...It had the chance to see the world along with me today, so I'm sure it's as happy as I am.

A heavy yawn erupts from Sonya after that, almost as if to lighten the mood.

Now that I've eaten, I'm starting to feel sleepy.

We did a lot of walking today, so... get some rest, okay?

Okay! Good night!

Saying that, she makes her way upstairs. Miharu and I are now alone together downstairs. Miharu ends up being the one to strike up a conversation while we tidy everything up.

I didn't notice anyone following us, so Numeral XI certainly seems to be confident. Whimsical, even.

I could tell Miharu was on edge the entire day- mainly because I was the same way when I first met Sonya. It's not far-fetched to assume that one person would keep an eye on her parents, and the other would watch Sonya, since two participants are working together. In this case, Numeral III – Federico Carminati- would probably watch her parents, while Numeral XI would be in charge of Sonya because she's the one holding her cards.

I understand why she'd feel confident when she's got all three of Sonya's cards, but what makes you call her whimsical?

From what I gather, she really wanted Sonya to enjoy her final few days here. If she really wanted to make sure that Sonya wouldn't work with her parents to dig up info on them, then she'd prevent them from meeting up- even on the final day. That should go without saying.

And yet, she granted Sonya the opportunity to be with her family. It makes her seem... compassionate at a glance, but there's more to it than that. In truth, she didn't place the shackles on Sonya. She tied the hands of her parents.

I'm... not sure I follow.

Well, there's no guarantee that Sofiya's parents believe her regarding Divine Selection. They might've brought her here under the false assumption that she's made a temporary recovery.

In that case, they'd never let her have fatty foods like pizza. Bear in mind that I'm talking from an objective standpoint here, and not my personal opinion regarding pizza. I don't think she would've been able to see the world like she wanted had she stayed with her parents. Do you understand where I'm going with this yet?

I think back to Sonya's comment about having the freedom to eat what she likes. Pointing that out must mean she previously didn't have that freedom.

Sonya's definition of 'seeing the world at large' differs from ours, and Numeral XI's actions enabled her to fulfill that one desire...

Of course, I doubt she expected Sofiya to run into us. Even then, the desire for her to minimize that regret is definitely there. Two or three days likely isn't enough for her to completely remove her regret, but I think it's safe to say that her tears tonight would've held a completely different meaning had she been with her parents.

I see. That makes sense. Not sure I can say this was the correct option, but at the very least, Sonya seems to have been happy from the bottom of her heart.

This may serve as an important foundation when it comes to learning more about Numeral XI, too. That's not the main point of this discussion, though. Instead, I want you to consider joining forces with me for the remainder of Divine Selection.

She stares deep into my eyes. It takes a while, but she finally comes out with a proposition that feels long overdue. I stare right back, unable to say anything in response. My brain completely shuts down. I honestly have no idea what to say. I can hear the sound of her breathing. Noticing that her nerves are building with each and every breath, I finally answer.

...I'm sorry, but I can't. You have every intention of making me the final survivor, don't you?

I do, but you need to realize that I'd be doing it for my own sake, as well.

That doesn't change anything. It's not fair to partner up with you when I haven't resolved to do the same for your sake. I still can't decide which one of us deserves to live through this!

There's no way I'd be fine with letting one of my closest friends give their life away... And yet, I don't want to die without knowing my own regret. Without knowing why I got wrapped up in all of this to begin with. So long as I've got stuff like that on my mind, I'll only hold you back in the end.

There's no doubt I'll face situations similar to when I confronted Alan at the hospital again. I'm sure my resolve will take a hit again when that time comes.

Your regret, huh...

Miharu trails off. There's no need for her to speak when her expression screams the complicated thoughts she's having. The silence doesn't last too long, however.

I'm fairly sure that you should have an idea about my cause of death. I'm also sure that you'd be appalled by it, too. It's fine, though. I'm okay with maintaining the status quo, even if my stance on the matter hasn't changed. My fate exists for your sake, so I'll simply wait for the day when you finally clear up your own personal doubts.

Why are you so desperate to give your life for mine? Surely you have your own regret to care about... You do have your own cards, don't you?

It's because I love you.

L-Love?!

Her exclamation throws me off at first, but naturally, she must mean in a friendly way.

:cripes:

Anyway, we should get some sleep ourselves. You plan on seeing Sofiya off tomorrow, don't you?

Y-Yeah, I do...

I know she's the type of person to use suggestive lines to mask her actual feelings. It doesn't stop me from getting all flustered, though. Maybe because there's the off chance that she means it. In that case, I'd have no idea how to handle the situation. That's making it even worse.

…...

05/25 (FRI), Midnight
Getting to sleep is no easy task after going back to my room. There's way too much on my mind. Lingering in my head the most is what Miharu said- that I should have an idea about her cause of death. I didn't outright deny her claim because, well, it's true. I've just been desperately trying to avoid thinking about it because I don't want to see my thoughts regarding my friend's death get turned into a card. There's one thing I can say for sure, regardless.

There's no way I'd ever think less of you over it.

Seems she's fast asleep already, judging by her breathing. Can't help but be impressed by how good she looks, even while sleeping. It's hard not to notice the scar on her wrist peeking out from under her sleeve.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mix. posted:

05/25 (FRI), Midnight
Getting to sleep is no easy task after going back to my room. There's way too much on my mind. Lingering in my head the most is what Miharu said- that I should have an idea about her cause of death. I didn't outright deny her claim because, well, it's true. I've just been desperately trying to avoid thinking about it because I don't want to see my thoughts regarding my friend's death get turned into a card. There's one thing I can say for sure, regardless.

There's no way I'd ever think less of you over it.

Seems she's fast asleep already, judging by her breathing. Can't help but be impressed by how good she looks, even while sleeping. It's hard not to notice the scar on her wrist peeking out from under her sleeve.

poo poo I was right :ohdear:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

poo poo I was right :ohdear:

Because she lost Rinka?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Can't be, they all died at the same time. I'm pretty sure her regret was not telling Rinka how she felt though.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Cloacamazing! posted:

Can't be, they all died at the same time. I'm pretty sure her regret was not telling Rinka how she felt though.

The exact moment, or just close together?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/27 (SUN), Morning
I brew some coffee for both Sonya and Miharu once morning comes around. Sonya doesn't want to drink hers black, so I make sure to put some milk and sugar in.

This was my first time drinking coffee. It was delicious.

It's been a while since I had some coffee here... The taste seems to have changed, too.

Well, it was my grandmother who made it last time, so that's not a surprise to hear.

That's not it. I was implying that I've changed. I can tell that it's your coffee based on the fragrance alone.

My coffee, huh...? I suppose I have been making slight changes to the way I prepare it for a while. That doesn't matter right now, though. Rather, I can't help but lose myself as I stare at Miharu basking in the morning glow while enjoying her coffee. It causes me to recall her comment from last night, which forces me to avert my eyes. Sonya is staring at her, too. I'm not sure if she noticed me doing so and followed suit, but she eventually smiles and speaks up.

BGM: Entrusted Feelings

I have a request for the both of you. I'd like to leave Passazhir with you.

Huh? But it's an important gift from your grandmother, isn't it?

Passazhir... It's Russian for “traveler”, isn't it?

Wow, you understand my home language? I'm impressed.

The name must represent your desire to go out and see the world.

A pang of sadness hits me as I remember Keiko's belief regarding the meaning behind one's name, although I do my best to hide it behind a smile.

What is it you want us to do with it?

I want you to show it the world in my place.

She holds her closest friend out to Miharu with that beaming smile of hers.

There's no point in handing it over to me...

This is a request for the both of you.

She leaves Passazhir on the table at which Miharu is sitting and prepares to continue with her request. Miharu unconsciously strokes its head with her finger. At least, I assume it is unconscious of her, since she retracts her finger the moment she realizes what she's doing.

Would you mind listening to what I have to say? The goddess said that, originally, all twelve of us were supposed to have gathered in the same place twelve weeks from the beginning of Divine Selection. In reality, my parents planned to take me on a trip if my condition didn't get any worse.

They had even decided on bringing me to Tokyo.

Fate changed its course, and your condition grew worse. Still, that means you were originally supposed to come here.

Yes. Fate changed its course by having me die before we could take the trip. The important part here is that fate can change. If it can do so for the worst, then it can also do so for the best! The goddess said that fate will allow only one of us to make it to the end, but if fate is something that can change on a whim, then...

It's possible that it can be altered to let both of you make it through together. It may be too late for me, but I believe that you two will show even more of the world to Passazhir. Together.

You think its possible to... change fate...?

It's not. Even if we could, all that would change is which one of us makes it through. And believe me, it won't be anyone other than Rinka so long as I'm around. Don't forget that it's the same goddess's rules that are keeping us alive right now.

That's true, but still. I won't take my request back.

Sonya speaks with enough confidence to refute Miharu's denial. The look in her eyes tells me that she is convinced by her own words, too.

Selfish until the very end, aren't we?

This is my final will, so yes.

...I see. I won't make any promises, but let me ask you, Rinka. Are you willing to carry out her request?

...Yeah.

I nod firmly to reinforce my response. This is probably the only thing I can do for her now.

In that case, I'll be on my way. Thank you for giving me some of your previous time.

Sure. Take care.

Sonya... I promise I won't forget about the fun time we spent together.

Being with you two made me very happy, too. Uh-oh... I should leave before it gets too hard for me to do so.

All right... Farewell.

She bows deeply before leaving. I watch her sink down into the horizon from the store window.

Off she goes...

I am too caught up in my own thoughts to properly register what Miharu says. Nothing can change the fact that Sonya's going to be eliminated tonight. When I think about it, I only have two of her cards. I don't even have the option of triggering a simultaneous election like I did with Keiko. Granted, even if I did, it'd be nothing more than a temporary measure to console myself. But... But...

Seeing her walk off on her own like that is too much.

Rinka...?

Before I can catch myself, I lose my composure. And the tears pouring down my face are proof of that.

This right here is why I called the situation dumb when I first learned about it. You said you didn't regret your decision, though. Does that hold true, even now?

I can't compose myself to respond verbally, so I have to nod in response.

And this right here... is exactly why I love you.

She sits down next to me after saying that. The moment our shoulders touch, I turn and cling onto her. She stays by my side the entire time I cry.

…...

After a glass of cold water, I manage to calm myself down. Meanwhile, Miharu gets ready to leave because she has to go to work.

I'll see you at school tomorrow.

Yeah... Sorry for crying so much. Today reminded me how weak I am in comparison to you.

Hehe. You may not realize it yourself, but I'd say you're far stronger than me.

I deny her claim with a shake of my head as she smiles at me.

We're not even halfway through Divine Selection. Remember that I'll be waiting for you once you've cleared up your own doubts.

Thanks... I'd appreciate it if you showed the same concern for yourself, though.

Right back at you. Oh, and I said I'd see you at school tomorrow, but I guess we'll see each other in the dream world before then.

Hey, that's not a very funny joke. I'll see you later.

...Yeah.

That said, she turns and makes her way out. I should be used to being alone here, yet it somehow feels a lot more quiet than before. It wasn't long ago that the three of us were talking and laughing together. It's already almost afternoon, but I decide to open the store up. I also decide to give my gran a call later on in the evening.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Feliday Melody posted:

The exact moment, or just close together?

Update V:

quote:

Under normal circumstances, all twelve of you would be gathered in one location at the exact same time twelve weeks from now, when Divine Selection ends. However, your lives all came to an end before that could occur. You were all in different locations, yet amusingly enough, your deaths occurred at the exact same moment in time.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Well that's.... a lot less dramatic and interesting I must admit.

Miharu having committed suicide due to the loss of her one love, Rinka would have given the story an incredible amount of emotional weight and explained a lot of her actions so far. Including her constant preparations to sacrifice herself to save Rinka at any cost. Because without Rinka there would be no life.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 29, 2021

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I mean, for all we know Mahiru may have visited a comatose Rinka at the hospital post-explosion, been informed about her terminal state and then killed herself at the same time that Rinka drew her last breath.

Or she cut herself by accident when slicing a special cake at work at the time of the train explosion.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Worth remembering that Rinka doesn't know her cause of death, which likely means whatever it is isn't the obvious "blown up in train car" or "fire". Does leave a bit more wiggle room in terms of timing.

Although Naomi's situation makes it seem to me like she probably didn't die in a hospital hours later, either.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/27 (SUN), Midnight
Good evening, my lovely little slaves to fate.

And thus, today's session begins. Parca's graceful voice rings throughout the court. I really can't fathom what's going through her mind. For what purpose does she divulge the intricacies of fate to us? What drove her to begin Divine Selection in the first place?

My, my. Aren't we a gloomy bunch?

I refused to even consider her motivation before now, because I saw her as some ethereal being completely removed from the logic of humans. But now I find it hard not to remember what Sonya said. Fate can be changed... The idea of being able to alter the very events of this ritual had never even come to mind.

Come, come. Why not lighten the mood and engage me in some riveting discussion?

...Cut the crap and get on with it.

Alan's curt response serves as his attempt to hurry things along. I wonder where he is in the real world. I stopped researching him after meeting Sonya.

You're often in quite the rush, aren't you? Is there any... particular reason for this?

I'm not one for pointless chit-chat. Besides, you're supposed to be a neutral party. Did you not consider the possibility that other participants could benefit from my talking to you?

Surely you wouldn't be pleased with your own actions if they give others an unfair advantage, would you?

Goodness, did something happen to my memory? I certainly don't recall making any claims about being a neutral party, nor that Divine Selection would be conducted in a fair manner.

Hmph...

H-Hold on! That ain't right!

Federico Carminati is the next to chime in. Actually, this might be the first time I've heard him speak. Now that he's got my attention, I realize that he might actually be the tallest one here. And he's pretty stylish, to boot. The suit he's wearing looks great on him. I wouldn't blame anyone if they confused him for a model.

I sure as hell ain't fine with the idea of this whole thing being rigged when it's my life on the line.

Christ, this guy...

Oh, my. Is something the matter, Numeral III?

Numeral XI reacts to Federico's outburst, which causes Miharu to shoot me a quick glance. Looks like those two really are working together.

Hell, this whole thing's been unfair ever since the cards were distributed at the beginning. Two of the cards I got belong to people that guy's already eliminated!

He points towards Alan as he states his concerns.

...So it's safe to say that you only have one card of value remaining from your initial lot, then.

Wha-

Feel free to voice your issues regarding the system itself, but only a fool would lay information like that out in the open.

I'm gonna make you regret it if you keep running that mouth, rear end in a top hat.

I have no issue with the current system, so I'd prefer if you sped things along.

Hehehe. Very well. I assume you're fine with it, too?

She turns to face Federico. He refuses to comply, raising his voice in a panic instead.

Just a sec here! Are the rest of you fine with this?!

He directs his question outward to the remaining participants, his arms spread wide. No one responds to him, though. Not even Numeral XI, his partner.

There's your answer. They may have their own issues, but they're all united in not making a scene and embarrassing themselves like you have. What's more, they'd much prefer not to make their own incompetence known to others- like you have.

I won't let you forget this, punk.

Don't worry. I've no intention of forgetting it until you've been eliminated.

Parca ends up being the one to interrupt their argument with a sigh.

Really now, can you not save your argument for the real world? Assuming you meet there, of course.

Following that, she makes her way to the center of the court.

Regardless, allow me to begin tonight's election. Revolve, O' Clock of Fate.

Once again, it's time for us to decide whether or not we want to elect someone. Should things proceed as Sonya believes, Numeral XI will elect Numeral X tonight. I grit my teeth at the inevitable and announce that I won't be electing anyone. Up next is Miharu, who will likely say the same. This is the fourth election, and it's safe to say there's a solid split between how each of us are approaching the situation. Some have opted to go all-out with info gathering, while others are choosing to sit back and let the situation unfold. The fact that Numerals XI and XII are the only ones to elect anyone yet is proof of that.

My turn, then. In that case, I'll be electing you, Numeral X.

What the-?!

Oh-ho, a first timer will be taking the plunge. Very well. Allow me to question the remaining participants first.

I can't hide my surprise. That's not good because it could act as a hint to others, as it's known by this point that we're acquainted. But that isn't enough to stop me from acting out.

Meanwhile, Sonya seems unfazed by Miharu's election. Don't tell me... Did they plan this from the beginning? Their conversation that night wasn't just about Sonya having Miharu's name card, but this as well? As I'm mulling it over, the clock hand eventually revolves around to Numeral XI.

Yeah, I've got an election all right. Same as that broad over there. I'm going for Numeral X.

She points to Sonya. It's obvious that she hadn't anticipated this scenario. She doesn't seem bent out of shape, though. She looks more like she's enjoying this turn of events- much like a predator would as it bears its fangs toward its prey. Numeral XI knows that Sonya holds her name card. If Miharu eliminates Sonya, then it's possible that she could end up with said card. Naturally, this is something Numeral XI would want to avoid. The same likely applies to Miharu. That's why they're both aiming to have Sonya's election called off. It wouldn't make sense for them to put one of their own cards out there to protect another.

So what was in your script for when this kinda situation comes about?

We ascertain whether or not you wish to obtain election priority, which requires that one of you reveal a personal card to the other participants. Wheoever does so first will be at a disadvantage, so do make your intentions known at the same time. Should you wish to obtain priority, then by all means, present me with one of your personal cards.

Heh. Ain't too fussed about fair or unfair. Gonna make it clear that I'm not interested in doing that, so the decision's all yours, girly.

Come now, Numeral XI! I would much appreciate it if you would abide by my proposed rules! Your stance on the matter, Numeral II?

Parca turns to face Miharu, speaking in a slow and soft tone. Miharu nods in response, opening her card book. She produces one card from it.

I'll reveal my name card to the rest of the participants. Now that I have the right to do so... Numeral X, I elect you.

Sonya remains unfazed by this turn of events. Her expression seems forlorn, but that's been true ever since Divine Selection began. Meanwhile, Numeral XI has stopped smiling. She's giving Miharu a vitriolic glare instead.

She abandoned her own name... Welp, no denying that she's an interesting one...

Very well. With that decided, Numeral II and Numeral X... Allow me to begin the election procedure.

A familiar tremor accompanies her statement. Shortly after, Miharu and Sonya's platforms ascend to the upper stratum.

…...

Miharu and Sonya face one another in the upper stratum of the Court of Fate. Neither look too happy about what will soon take place. Regardless, they make sure to maintain eye contact.

...Thank you, Miharu.

I'm the one that should be thanking you. I certainly never expected such a proposition from you, but your decision is the right one.

Yes. I knew that sister wouldn't be able to find it in her to do this.

I've already settled on giving my life for Rinka, so steeling myself for events like this is an easy feat.

Good evening once again.

Parca appears out of nowhere as usual, offering them both a welcoming smile. Miharu looks more than displeased by her presence.

I see you two are already acquainted. What's more, you don't seem hostile toward one another like the other participants have been.

The only hostility present right now is being directed toward Parca herself. Miharu makes her desire to not engage with Parca clear by changing the subject.

So what do I do now?

Choose the three cards that correspond to Numeral X, and read their contents aloud to me.

Right...

BGM: Fated Selection

Miharu's cards emerge from her book and float in the air in front of her. She plucks three cards from them.

Her name is Sofiya Priessnitz Alexeievna. I won't go into detail, but her cause of death was from illness... Sofiya, I still can't make any promises regarding your request, but Rinka said she's willing to carry it out.

That being the case, I'll do everything I can to help her. Just remember that my priority is to ensure that she makes it through to the end.

I'm aware of this. I can still say with all my confidence that meeting both of you brought me more happiness than I'd ever experienced before. Please take care of Passazhir for me.

...We will.

Miharu casts her eyes back down to her cards. A few moments later, she closes her eyes and recdites the contents of the third card.

Her regret... was not having the freedom to see the world at large.

All three cards begin to move on their own in response. Once they reach the middle of the Court of Fate, they come together and form a triangular shape.

Goodb-

I'm not fond of goodbyes. I'd much prefer you to pray for myself and Rinka's happiness.

Okay.

She takes a deep breath before clasping her hands together and offering up a prayer.

May Rinka and Miharu find joy in their future.

Thank you, Sofiya. I'll never forget you. May your soul rest in peace.

The light from Miharu's cards grows stronger and brighter until it engulfs the entire area. Miharu makes sure to keep her eyes on Sonya's tear-stained face, no matter how blinding the light gets.

…...

BGM: Fall Into...

Feelings of regret and emptiness begin to flow into her. She finds herself laying on Sofiya's bed in her room. The doctors rushed in as her parents looked on, praying for her safety. The girl reflected upon her life as her breathing grew ever more pained.

The ceiling of this room was perhaps the most-viewed scenery she'd witnessed throughout her life. She could only ever experience the outside world through a book or monitor. Freedom remained a foreign concept. Just how much time did she spend imagining the wonders that would come with attaining such a thing? In the end, her life was nothing but dull. Dull to the point where she spent her final moments contemplating her reality, and how it compared to the vast world she'd so longed to experience.

…...

You have to be rotten to the core to make us experience the last moments of those we eliminate.

Unfortunately, I had no say in the matter. Do not forget that this is a ritual. Your election tonight has forcefully reverted the fate of that young girl back to its original course. The Court of Fate exists to carry out that ritual... Alas, nothing can be done about each participant being affected by the aftermath of their own actions.

Wait a minute... You mean to tell me you had no say in the matter, despite the ritual being named Divine Selection? Is there a force involved here that even you cannot control?

Rather than receive an answer, Miharu's platform begins its descent. It returns to the lower stratum.

I'm not terribly fond of needless curiosities.

Parca utters her words only after Miharu has gotten far enough away.

…...

Numeral II comes back down instead of Odette this time. It's been obvious that her and Numeral I know each other ever since this whole thing started. I also figure they aren't at odds with each other, which means it's likely they're working together- like me and Odette. drat, did tonight ever take me by surprise. I was sure she'd back down once Odette said she would. Odette's obviously going to prioritize protecting her own information over eliminating Sofiya. Even if the chance of me cooperating with Sofiya existed, it was still a lot less dangerous for Odette to get a hold of the information Sofiya had than another participant. Odette's point in ignoring what Parca said was to make it clear that there's no need for Numeral II to reveal one of her cards. But she went and gave up her name card anyway.

Tch... This sure is throwing me for a loop.

Gotta say, that Numeral I sure is a little runt compared to Numeral II. I assume they're both Asian, but boy does Numeral II have the right glamour and proportions. I figured she'd get eliminated pretty quick, but she went ahead and surprised me. That's a woman after my own heart. The best women are the gutsy ones, definitely. Not counting freaks of nature like Odette, of course.

Which card would you like to obtain?

She poses the all-important question to Numeral II. No doubt she's gunning for Odette's card.

I'll take Numeral I's cause of death.

drat. She betrays my expectations yet again.

Wh-What's going on here? She had that all along...?

Doesn't look like anyone's more surprised by this turn of events than Numeral I herself. Can't blame her. Out of all the cards Numeral II could've picked, she went with one belonging to the person she's working together with.

Why do you satisfy your urge to keep talking? Understand that the situation you're in requires being silent above all else.

Numeral II slaps her with a frigid verbal warning. Numeral I is obviously taken aback, but it does cause her to keep quiet.

Now that your election is over, I'd like you to hand me the personal card of your choosing in exchange for obtaining the right to eliminate Numeral X.

I assume this is fine?

Parca approaches her and is handed a card. My card book begins to shine immediately after.

II – Name – Hebinata Miharu

Miharu Hebinata, huh...

“Miharu” is pretty easy for me to pronounce. Guess this explains the procedure for revealing your card to the others. Feels more fitting to say that everyone simply obtains it. The others check their card books as well.

Why, Miharu...?

I have nothing more to say to you at the moment.

Numeral I was surprised over obtaining her card, too. That means Miharu never revealed her real name. Safe to say what's going on here at the moment, if you ask me. Their relationship's done for.

Tonight's session resulted in one elimination. I bid you all farewell for now.

Parca brings an end to tonight's election, ignoring Numeral I's shock over the turn of events. This whole situation's gotten pretty messy now. I was starting to panic a bit myself, considering Odette and Numeral XII were outdoing me. But I guess we're at the point where anything can happen. And hey, watching Odette get taken for a ride felt amazing. I was even planning on approaching Miharu, had she opted to go with Odette's info, but... seems like I'm best off sticking with Odette for now.

When all is said and done, I have to put some serious effort into containing this new found ambition of mine.

[END OF WEEK FOUR: A JOURNEY TO SEE THE WORLD]

-----

Cardbook has updated.

Everyone still living now has II – Name – Hebinata Miharu under their entry, so I'll skip showing the entries whose only update is that card.

II – Name- Hebinata Miharu
X – Cause of Death – Death from Sickness

VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Cause of Death – Stroke
VII – Regret – Dog
XI – Name – Odette Malencon

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
If anything, Federico should be low on Scorpion's list now.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/28 (MON), Morning
It's time to meet up with Odette at the hotel, and I still haven't gotten over my excitement about what happened last night in the dream world.

Yo, didja see those two last night? Looks like Numerals I and II have some major issues to work out, huh? Man! There's just something thrilling about watching a falling-out like that.

Odette makes it obvious how little she cares about listening to me as I ramble on and on.

Christ. Mind not being this annoying first thing in the morning? All I care about is getting some grub, so let's hit up the buffet. Kinda bored of the selection, but it still tastes good enough to choke down.

And here I thought that it'd be useful info for whenever we decide to target them.

After saying that, I finally notice that Odette's in a rotten mood. The excitement I got from their little quarrel made me forget all about what actually happened during last night's election.

That Miharu kid ain't to be taken lightly... Especially since she beast me to the punch.

She might look annoyed, but here's the thing- her voice makes her sound a little thrilled by it.

Hehe... This little game's finally getting interesting.

I don't think I'll ever understand this monster's logic- not after this outburst, and what she did to that Russian brat. I can say one thing for sure, though. She ain't the only one who thinks things have finally gotten interesting.

…...

BGM: Powerless

For the first time in a few days, I'm all alone when I wake up. My eyes feel dry. That leads me to believe I was crying in my sleep.

I really am a weakling...

I can't deny that I enjoyed the time I spent together with Sonya. Being with her helped to take my mind off the pressure of Divine Selection. I do my best to hold back any more tears as I make my way over to my desk. I pick up my card book and peer at the card I obtained last night. It's the card that Miharu revealed to every participant in order to earn the right to eliminate Sonya.

Hebinata Miharu.

That is what's written on Miharu's name card. The surname doesn't ring any bells, but considering her family situation, I can guess what happened. What's more, Miharu obtained my cause of death card last night. Information that even I don't know the full details of. Her actions last night left me visibly shaken, which led her to take on a cold attitude toward me. I can't help but remember what she said...

“I have nothing more to say to you at the moment.”

I see what you're doing, Miharu...

After making that comment, I get ready for school.

I leave the TV on as I do so, which is how I come to learn some interesting news. Apparently, a suspicious-looking bag was left on one of the Yamanote line trains near Shibuya station. The police initially suspected it to be an attempted terrorist attack, but after inspections, the bag turned out to be empty. Part of me wonders if one of the Divine Selection participants might have been involved, but based on the reports, I can't think of any links to them.

Ouch...

As I listen to the report, I suddenly get a pounding headache. I start to feel stressed out and exhausted, both physically and mentally. I must've imagined the grisly scene of a terrorist attack unconsciously while watching the news. Thanks to all that excitement, it seems like the trains are running late. I make sure to head out earlier than usual.

…...

Oh, Rinka...

I bump into Naomi on my way into school. I never see her in the morning because she always comes earlier than me, but I guess the trains delayed her enough today. She notices me first, so she spins her body around to face me.

Whoa!

Except the spin is so sudden that it causes her to lose balance.

C-Careful!

I quickly grab her hand and support her so she doesn't fall. It's been a while since I last saw one of Naomi's tripping scenes. Then again, it's been a while since I last saw Naomi, period.

Ahaha... Sorry about that...

As clumsy as ever, aren't you?

She struggles to hide her embarrassment as she props herself back upright.

How're preparations for the culture festival coming along?

So-so, I guess... We still haven't decided what to do for interior decorations and all that... Oh, but I did make sure to prioritize passing on what you taught me about brewing coffee! Everything's been going well on that front.

...Glad to hear that you're doing well. Hard to believe the culture festival's next week, all things considered.

I'm not even sure how things are going with my own class right now. I might end up helping them out with something the day of, but for now, I've no idea whether or not things are progressing well.

Umm... How are things going with-

Just as Naomi is about to say something, a voice calls out to me from behind her.

Good morning, Rinka... and you too, Naomi.

Miharu has just arrived, it seems. As always, her hair flutters elegantly in the wind. She speaks to me like normal, almost as if what happened in the dream world last night never took place. I do my best to follow along, considering Naomi's presence.

Miharu... S-Sorry, but I better make my way to class before the bell rings.

Oh, we'll go with y-

She skitters off toward the building before I can finish my sentence.

...Looks like she really is avoiding me.

I struggle to find an appropriate response. However, she removes that burden from me by making the response herself.

Well, I can't blame her. After all, I'm the one responsible for her evasiveness.

Huh? Did something happen between you two?

Ehehe. Not to worry. It's nothing major. We should be on our way as well, though. We'll be late for class.

Hold on. I still gotta talk to you about last ni-

And here I thought I'd be able to distract you from that topic. I plan on going to Lion House after I finish my shift tonight, so can it wait until then?

You never intended to talk about it here, did you?

Her smile upon hearing my question is enough of an answer for me. She's fully aware that I want to talk about last night's events. The flood of students pouring into school eventually forces us to ride the wave with them.

…...

05/28 (MON), Noon
Time for lunch, Rinny!

Mao darts over to my desk as soon as the bell for lunch break rings.

I skipped breakfast today, so I'm starving...

Don't you always skip breakfast? Anyway, lemme get Miharu first...

Don't bother. She's been called to the teachers' lounge to talk about her scholarship funding. How'd you miss her being asked to go there in the first place?

Ahh, now that you mention it, that did happen...

You zone out at the weirdest times, you know that? Well, whatever. Just you and me today, sister.

She grabs my hand and drags me along to the cafeteria.

Oh? Not sticking with your staple bread today?

Nope, I feel like trying something new. You're not having your usual, either.

Well, I grabbed this since it'll go well with that delicious-looking rice you've got there.

Mao has opted for karaage this time around, while I've gone with curry. We don't normally go for this kind of stuff since we need to carry it all the way to the rooftop, but... I wanted something with a strong flavor today, so I picked this without too much thought.

Kinda surprised you went with curry. I figured you weren't a fan of spicy stuff.

Nah, I'm fine with both spicy and sweet stuff. So long as they don't go overboard with it, at least.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Mao nods her head multiple times in an attempt to seem all-knowing. I dismiss it with a smile. As I smile, I remove the packaging on my curry. If I don't do it now, odds are I might actually forget to eat while talking with Mao.

Ohohohoho. Looks like I'm not the only one who ain't all here today.

What makes you say that?

Well, your lack of a spoon, for one thing.

...Oh.

You can pick up chopsticks and spoons at your leisure in the cafeteria, but it completely slipped my mind that I'd need one. All I have is a small hand towel.

Allow me to offer you a trade, then.

She produces a plastic spoon from within the plastic bag she has with her. She hands it over to me in exchange for my towel.

Also, thou shalt address me as Queen Mao.

Queen Mao, I am grateful that you have bestowed this spoon upon me.

Hmm... I'd have preferred it if you were just a teensy bit hesitant.

Looks like she was banking on me being not too pleased about having to bow down to her like that. I figured that was going to be her ultimate demand, hence why I said it right up front.

drat, though. You would've had to eat that with your bare hands like they do with Indian curry if it weren't for me.

Just hearing the word “Indian” causes Alan to pop up in my mind for a brief moment. Fortunately, her joke is a bit on the extreme side, so my involuntary reaction works for her, too. I end up spending all of the lunch break chatting away with Mao. Just as we are about to finish eating, she brings up a topic I don't expect.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. Naorin's got her mind on you a lot these days. Don't think you've noticed it, though.

I ask her what she means, but she waves off my question and continues.

Gotta say, only a girl in love could make the face she did.

Oh, shut it. Now you're just being rude to her.

Fine, you can believe whatever you want... but she's been looking awful lonely ever since you started to neglect her.

Hey, that's not fair. She told me she's busy with preparations for the culture festival, so I'm giving her space.

Thing is, Naorin ain't like Miharun. She's the kinda gal that'll keep her desires locked up inside. Anyway, you've been looking pretty rough for a while now, Rinny. How about getting some proper rest?

The group just isn't the same when you're not your usual perky self. Like today, for instance. Not only did you forget to grab a spoon for your curry, but you haven't even noticed that you've got it smeared all over your face.

She opens the pack containing the towel I traded for her spoon and hands it to me.

I bequeath to you this towel, and in recompence you will refer to me once again as Queen Mao.

My everlasting gratitude, Queen Mao.

Argh, not again...

And... yep, guess I do have curry plastered all over the left side of my mouth. Mao's probably right. Everything that's happened recently has left me mentally exhausted. Even so, I doubt I'll be able to get any proper rest in the near future. After all-

Granted, I'm aware that you won't take any advice given by this fine piece of royalty to heart.

Heh. This girl.

Mao jams her trash into the plastic bag before standing up.

At the very least, you should do what feels right to you.

...Thanks.

I am genuinely grateful to hear that from her. There's no way she could know about Divine Selection. Not even Miharu would divulge that sort of thing to her. And that's okay. That's how it should be. That's exactly why her words are such a relief to hear.

Aight, well... Do me a favor and chuck this. I'm gonna go bother Miharun.

She hands me the plastic bag and takes her leave. Once she's gone, I finish up my own lunch before following her lead.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/28 (MON), Evening
After classes end for the day, I head out of school with the intention of going home. However, once I reach the gate, I notice Naomi leaning against the wall with her eyes cast down. She doesn't seem to have noticed me, so I call out to her.

BGM: Naomi

Oh, Rinka... I was waiting for you, actually.

You were? What happened with preparations for the culture festival?

I told you about how we hadn't decided on interior decorations this morning, right? Well, there are other issues... Our budget won't allow for us to buy lots of coffee mugs and plating, so we decided to use plastic cups. That's why we thought it would be best to at least make sure the coasters and such are nice and cute.

So... would you mind going with me to shop for them? Only if you have the time, of course.

Budget probably isn't their only issue. I doubt they have enough people to wash mugs one by one. It's probably best that they stick to disposable plastic ones anyway, what with all the hygenic issues to consider at such events. I happen to know a place that has exactly what she needs, so I don't see any harm in taking her there. I won't see Miharu until later tonight anyway, so it'll be fine as long as I keep track of the time.

Sure, I don't mind. You should have messaged me instead of waiting like this, though.

I didn't want you to feel like you had to cancel any other plans, so... if you're busy, then please do prioritize that...

She trails off, drawing her eyes away from me. It's my fault that she's acting this way around me, so I can't exactly brush her off.

C'mon, you don't need to worry about that. I know a good place in Shibuya, so let's head there.

All right! Thank you very much!

With that, we make our way to the station.

…...

After we finish our shopping trip in Shibuya, we hop on the train to head home. At Shinjuku, we have a little downtime while we wait for our transfer to arrive.

Again, thank you so much, Rinka! I didn't expect to leave there with so much!

Hey, glad I could help.

Naomi struggled to make a decision in the store, so she ended up picking three different items for each category. Her plan is to show them to the rest of the class and then decide on which to use.

I gotta hand it to you, you're killing it as the class rep. Color me impressed.

Not at all... I'm only doing it because no one else volunteered.

Which is why I'm so impressed with how seriously you're taking it.

She must've felt her face burn a bright red, as she diverts her gaze from me immediately. From what I've heard, its ounds like she's getting along with her classmates, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if her taking charge of the culture festival played a part in that. Considering how scared of me she was when we first met, she's definitely come a long way. I guess that makes her the exact opposite of me.

Just as we're about to get on the train, she stabs me with a sharp glare. And then she leans in and whispers...

Look. Over there.

She motions towards someone in the distance with enough subtlety to prevent bringing us any undue attention.

That silver haired person seems... suspicious...

Silver hair? Let's see... Oh, her!

My shoulders stiffen the moment I spot her. Her train hasn't arrived yet, so...

Naomi, you head back first.

Just a moment. Judging by your reaction, I assume that's another participant? I do recall you mentioning there being two children.

...Yeah.

Numerals IV and X, to be precise. Sonya's been eliminated, which leaves only Numeral IV. I happen to have her cause of death card, but other than that, I don't know a single thing about her. I'd chalk up her appearance here as a coincidence, but that'd probably be a mistake. Not only have Sonya and Alan turned up in Shinjuku, but now she has, too. There's gotta be a reason. The foggy spots in my mind, memories regarding my cause of death and what Parca explained at our initial meeting, are likely linked to the same reason. I shouldn't waste my time trying to figure that out right now, though.

-ka, are you listening?

Sorry. Got lost in thought. How do you know her, anyway?

I'm not sure why, but he seems familiar for some reason... Plus, I had a rough image of what he'd look like based off your descript- Wait, 'her'? Isn't that a boy?

Hmm, you think? Looks awfully feminine to me. Er, haven't we had this conversation before?

Either way, their gender isn't the point here... They haven't noticed us yet, so... we should tail them now, while we have the chance.

The tone of her voice matches the serious expression on her face.

The more information you can get your hands on, the bett- Oh, sorry... I shouldn't butt in like this anymore...

Don't worry about it. I was just thinking the same thing, to be honest. I asked that you head home first because I was gonna do it on my own. Sorry for being unclear.

Her gaze falls to the floor and, after a moment of consideration, she nods.

I'm well aware of the dangers involved, so I'll do as I'm told. But... remember that I'm always willing to help. If you manage to snap a picture of them, I can use that to do my own research from home.

Just hearing that is relief enough. Thanks.

Be careful, okay...?

I respond with a firm nod before we part ways.

Sorry, Naomi...

I apologize to her under my breath after we split up. Next, I pick up my pace to keep the girl in sight.

…...

After thirty minutes of tailing her, we finally reach what seems to be her destination. Upon leaving Shinjuku station, she takes the Chuo line all the way to a residential district. Judging by her familiarity with the area, she must live around here. She certainly doesn't look Japanese, but there aren't any hotels around here. That means she probably isn't here on holiday with her family, unlike Sonya. That leaves only one alternative. It's hardly surprising, though. Lots of foreigners live in this area.

Okay, here we go.

She stops in front of and then makes her way into one of the houses. Seems like a pretty old place. Older than the houses around it, anyway. Another thing that makes it stick out is how... run-down it is. A decent earthquake could probably shake it down with ease. I'm hardly a pro when it comes to tailing people, but I think it's safe to say that I wasn't noticed. There's no need for me to escalate things yet, so I check out the name plate at the entrance after making sure she's gone inside. It's a bit faded, but not enough to make it illegible.

Ushizuka.

Safe to say that's the surname of this house's owner. Does the same apply to her, though? My instinct says no. In fact, it's entirely possible that she's squatting at an empty home for some temporary lodging. Ducking behind the wall of the house next door, I try to eavesdrop on any conversations going on. Lucky for me, I'm able to hear something. Nothing specific, but the walls are thin enough to leak out the voices from inside.

Sounds like there are at least two people inside. One is likely the girl, but the other sounds like an old man. I'd guess that the latter owns this place. Which means the girl is probably staying with his permission. I wonder... does my card book work with conversations involving someone who isn't a participant? Considering I was able to hold a converation with that one tourist before I even knew anything about Divine Selection, it's probably safe to assume it does.

I should head back...

It's my best option for now, especially when I can't make out exactly what they're saying. Just as I am about to walk away, a passerby starts talking to me. She's in her early forties and is carrying a bag from the supermarket. I assume she was out buying things for dinner.

Local Housewife: Oh? Are you an acquaintance of Mr. Ushizuka?

N-Not quite, no...

I am taken aback at first, but she might know something about that girl if she lives in the area.

When did that foreign child start living here?

Local Housewife: Oh-ho. I see that's caught your attention as well.

Her face twists into a sly grin in addition to her response. I know her type. That's the exact same expression made by the kids at school when they gossip about others.

Local Housewife: No one's certain why, but at some point he just... cut off ties with the outside world. He rarely leaves the house, so for a time, rumors kept spreading about how he'd starved himself to death. But then we'd notice him lurking around and carried on with our lives.

Local Housewife: Doesn't help that cases of old folks dying all alone are on the rise, too. But anyone, people first noticed that girl around a month or so back. Rumor has it that there are some... dubious circumstances between them. In fact, some say that he used to frequent certain illicit establishments, and that's his child... Oh, goodness me! I shouldn't be telling a young lady such things.

That's funny. The look on her face practically screams that she wants to keep going.

So no one knows who she really is?

Local Housewife: That's right. All sorts of bad rumors surround that man, including his nefarious deeds abroad, so no one wants to get too involved. Of course, nobody wants to risk earning his wrath by reporting him to the police, either. I've even heard rumors about how the girl has some sort of illness, which is even more reason for folks to keep their noses clean. You're probably best off not getting involved, either.

Thank you for the concern.

Just listening to her gab on and on has pissed me off. I won't judge anyone for hazarding a guess about something, but using it as an excuse to spread unsavory rumors about him feels wrong. Plenty of older people live by themselves, so why would they make comments at his expense about it? Having given her my thanks, I use it as an excuse of my own to cut the conversation off there. My hunch seems to have been on the mark, at least. I might be able to find something out about that girl if I talk to him.

I should head home for now, though. I've still got the store to attend to.

…...

I make sure to message Naomi on the train home. I assume she's worried about me, all things considered. No point giving an in-depth report, so I just text a quick summary. It doesn't take long for her to reply, telling me to get in touch if I need help. She said something similar when we split up, too.

Something's definitelly suspicious about the situation between those two...

I'm curious about her thoughts on the matter, but that would just invite the same gossip as that lady. Instead, I simply reply with an, “It's all good.”, to which she responds with an emoji. I need to handle this on my own. It's down to me to gather as much info as I can.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Hi. I thought I said something yesterday but I didn't, oops! :sweatdrop: LP's pausing for a few days on account of the critically acclaimed MMO with a free trial up to level 60 and the first expansion included releasing its new expansion. I want to get it done so I can avoid spoilers on social media lmao

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I just noticed. Rinka never wears her jacket properly. Is that some design or is it just an artistic choice?

Also what was it about Rinkas look that made her look dangerous?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I know there's a stereotype about people with bleached/dyed hair in Japan, and I think it was mentioned at the start (though Rinka was very clear that her hair is natural).

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Rinka is an aasimar, thus her hair and number in divine selection.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Okay, I beat Endwalker, LP's back on starting tomorrow :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I prep to open the store as soon as I get back. A few people swing by, but no one stays for long because it's a weeknight. Once 9 p.m. rolls around, I close up shop. Miharu stops by around then, just like she said she would.

Hey there.

Hey, yourself. Lemme get you some coffee.

Thanks. Should you really be giving out freebies, though?

I nod and follow up by telling her that we might be here for a while.

After making enough for the both of us, I move over to our usual table.

Is it safe to assume you're looking to confirm certain things with me?

...Yeah.

She wastes no time in getting to the meat of things. She takes a sip of her coffee before going on.

Mmm. As delicious as ever.

Thanks, but let's not get off topic. That night, when I caught you and Sonya discussing something... It was about my cause of death card, wasn't it?

Yup. I bet you hadn't anticipated her being in possession of one of your cards. She didn't keep it a secret with any bad intentions, though. Apparently she just didn't want you to suspect her even more.

I can't blame her, considering how I acted when we first met.

Anyone in your position would've done the same. That's why I made it a point to confirm with her whether or not she had any of our cards.

As it turned out, she also had your name card.

Right. She mentioned that she regretted her choice- that it would've been better to have thrown her fear of not being trusted away and told us the whole truth.

That sounds just like her...

No argument there. It's almost upsetting just how innocent that girl was.

Memories of us sitting together at this very table come flooding back. It was like we were nothing more than three friends hanging out.

You know that Numeral XI is looking to eliminate as many people as she possibly can, so I wanted to make sure she couldn't get her hands on my card. More importantly though, the prospect of her snatching up your card terrified me.

And that's why you opted to eliminate Sonya instead.

I hesitate to press the issue any further. Mainly because it involves questioning how she can be so calm and collected in the face of all this. It's entirely possible that I'll hear something I don't want to if I ask. And yet, I end up asking her anyway.

How... can you stay this calm after her elimination? Did it mean nothing to you?

Is there any need to waste my time feeling upset?

BGM: Two Crossing Paths -S/I V/S-
I can't bring myself to snap anything back to her. That's the exact response I was afraid I'd hear. It's not like I don't understand her point. I know that there's no point in being upset.

You honestly have no issues taking that stance?

I don't. My course was set the moment I learned that you're a participant. My life exists soley for yours now.

I wish you'd stop saying that. I've heard it more times than I ever wanted.

I can't help but be blunt. While I expected such a reply, it's still not what I wanted to hear. I don't have it in me to say anything more, though.

It's barely been a day since it happened, so I can understand why you're distraught. In fact, your ability to worry like this is one of your stronger points.

The tone of her voice doesn't falter.

We should probably wrap up for the night. Although... would you mind if I stayed a bit longer? I haven't gotten to finish my coffee yet.

My only response is a quick nod. Just as she said, I'm still distraught over what happened. What's worse, I seem to get more aggravated at night. I end up waiting for Miharu to finish her coffee. I can't bring myself to look her in the eye during that time- not even once.

Well then, I should be going now.

...Mind waiting for a minute?

I stop her just as she gets ready to walk out. There's still one important question left for me to ask.

Your last surname was Hebinata, right? I, um, know there've been issues at home and stuff, but... I was always curious why I didn't have your name card, and then it triggered with Hebinata Miharu rather than Mishima Miharu, so...

I'm Mishima Miharu on my family's register, just so you know.

Yeah, so... it creates a whole lot of doubt for me when it comes to the criteria for creating new cards...

Yes, and those doubts aren't unfounded. Our lovely little goddess seems to have skimped on her explanation relating to the process. You could call it a... loophole, of sorts.

I manage to catch the brief glimpse of sadness in her expression. There's no doubt that she's not very comfortable discussing this topic. And yet, she's doing her best to act unfazed for my sake. I make no effort to stop her, though. She knows that I've noticed, which is why she's bothering to explain it in the first place.

BGM: Wi H g L n (Dark Side of Hers)
First things first. I need to apologize for not telling you the truth.

Her expression grows more pained as she says that. I feel kinda bad about it, so I can only imagine how she feels.

The only way I can explain it is by divulging even more about myself.

I said that my surname became Mishima after my parents got divorced, but well... that's not quite right. You know full well that my mother isn't the greatest person in the world. In fact, let me make it clear that I loathe her.

She has talked to me about her mom before, albeit briefly. About her habit of wasting money and her failure to do any chores, for instance. That's why Miharu has several part-time jobs, and has to deal with the household chores, as well. Unlike most students at Amecha, she's far from financially sound. The only reason she can attend is due to her scholarship.

If I had things my way, I'd take my father's surname. But alas, I'm stuck with this one.

I sense that there's a lot more to this than what she's telling me. It's likely that everything she's suffered through links back to whatever that could be.

You'd think that the rules pertaining to our individual cards would be grounded with logic, but that isn't the case. In fact, they seem to rely far too much on one's personal perception.

You can't make blind guesses when it comes to someone's cause of death and regret cards. Knowledge of the events surrounding them is a requirement. Each participant's perception of those events takes priority. In other words, there's no universal criteria in place for participants when it comes to creating new cards. That's Miharu's point.

In my case, I've yet to accept that my name is really Mishima Miharu.

That's why your name card is Hebinata Miharu instead...

Considering our cards are linked to the dream world, a deep part of the psyche, I really must be against taking on the Mishima name.

Then it might be a lot more logical than you think. Think about it. No one's born with a name; it's on someone else to give them one. The names aren't set in stone, either.

If it weren't for Keiko, I probably would've agreed with Miharu. But now... this is how I truly feel. Surnames change all the time due to marriage. Not only that, but you can even get it changed legally if so inclined. It's not always cut and dry like that, sure, but names are still something that reflect a person's individuality over all else.

Hmm. I certainly hadn't thought about it that way. Perhaps my concern about my name was obstructing my outlook on the bigger picture.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Still... I feel like my doubts have been cleared up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Nah, don't worry about it. We've all got our baggage. You'll always be the same Miharu to me, regardless of what happens.

Ehehe...

She giggles with a smile in response to my proclamation. And it's not a forced smile, either. It is sincere- one of relief.

While slightly off-topic, I was worried that you would start to avoid me after what I said in the Court of Fate.

Really? I knew exactly what you were doing.

Assuming things went as planned, then some of the other participants may be giddy over how we got into a big fight.

“I have nothing more to say to you at the moment.” Some of the other participants must have figured out our friendship because of how we'd been talking to each other since the very first election. In fact, Sonya assumed that we were friends from the start, too.

The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Indeed. Regardless, I really should be on my way.

:v: This is a very deceptive choice; the 'good' answer to give here is actually the first option, because Miharu hates 'goodbyes'.

-I'll see you tomorrow.
-Okay. Take care.

I'll see you tomorrow.

She smiles and makes an ever-so-elegant exit from the store. Funny. I made coffee thinking we'd be talking for a while, but the real conversation only began after we'd finished drinking it. I take a moment and stare at Miharu's empty cup before getting back to my usual routine.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Huh, that's a lot more innocent of an answer than I was expecting.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Miharu is clearly obsessed with Rinka. That never ends well.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

05/29 (TUE), Early Morning
Mmm... Already morning...

I slept so soundly last night that I didn't even dream.

Dreams... Hard to believe such a concept has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I'd never considered the possibility of a whole other world existing within our dreams. Not to mention a goddess like Parca coming along and connecting me with others through said world. I mean, who could imagine meeting complete strangers within your own dream? It'd be a romanticized situation if this were a shoujo manga, I'm sure. I cast my mind back to the other participants' appearances. That's when I remember something crucial.

One's an old man...!

Naomi's message from yesterday springs to mind. She said that there's definitely something suspicious about that girl and where she's staying. It's not just any old man, either. He's Japanese. That man is Numeral V. I might be on to something. Actually, I should have caught on right away.

There's still plenty of time before I need to be at school. I want to try something. My decision made, I make my way to the old man's house.

…...

05/29 (TUE), Morning
Fortunately, I make it all the way without getting lost. It's a pretty tricky route after all, but jotting down the address yesterday turned out to be worth it. But I probably would've been fine without it, considering I've somehow managed to memorize the route.

This is it.

I make sure to keep some distance away to avoid looking suspicious. It may be early in the morning, but people are still passing through. Once the area empties out, I check inside his mailbox. I feel pretty bad about doing this, but it's necessary. There are a slew of letters in here. Definitely more than a day's worth. Most of them are from debt collectors. Not just from one collection agency, either. There are multiple different senders. I ignore all that, grab a random letter, and remove it from the box.

I want to see to whom it's addressed, of course.

Ushizuka Shigetsugu...

That has to be the name of the old man living here. Just to be sure, I check a few other letters as well. They all cite the same name. All that's left is to get a glimpse of his face. I consider waiting for him to leave the house, but I need to remain mindful of the time. As important as this is, I still have school. Helps that I'm probably safest there, too.

Just as I decide to stick around for as long as I can, I notice two figures in the distance. Two figures that I recognize, even. One male, the other female. Both are foreigners, and tall.

BGM: WARNING
It's them...!

There's still plenty of distance between us, so I can't make out their faces. Not that I need to. I can tell it's them based on their silhouettes. Not only are they participants, but they're also the most dangerous duo by far.

Numerals III and XI. Federico Carminati and his partner. I instinctively duck for cover. They have to be targeting the girl. Either that, or they're looking into the relationship between her and the old man- just as I am. Assuming he turns out to be a participant, it's likely they've tracked him down to here. Numeral XI is carrying a notepad. I assume she's gotten a hold of his address somehow. In that case, they must be coming for him instead of the girl. After all, she wouldn't be listed as living here.

Just as I am deciding whether to stick around or head to school, the front door gets propped ajar. Noticing this, the duo duck into a nearby alley. From what I can tell, Numeral XI's the one who prompts them to do so. That surprises me. She seems like the kind of person to leap in when the opportunity presents itself, so I don't expect her to tread carefully. Both the girl and the old man are likely aware of the situation they've put themselves in. So it's only natural for them to scout out their surroundings before they leave the house. Deciding that the coast is clear, the door swings open.

That's...

Light pours out of my bag all of a sudden. The moment that old man steps out of the house, in fact. That's when I become certain that he is Ushizuka Shigetsugu. His appearance matches what I saw in the dream world. A tenacious-looking old man. I got the impression he was a shut-in of sorts before, but his current attire of a sweater and loose pants says the opposite. Numeral XI and Federico remain hidden for some reason. Regardless, I've confirmed that Ushizuka's a bona-fide participant. It's safe to say that I'm putting myself in danger if I stay any longer. As such, I slink back to the station, taking care not to bump into any of the others.

…...

Looks like we were right on the money.

I whisper to Odette when the old timer leaves his house.

Shush, you dumbass.

She may have whispered, but she also slams her foot down on mine. Gotta admit, she's uncharacteristically cautious at times like this. You'd think someone massive like her would charge right in, but nope. She even keeps us a fair distance from the house to ensure we aren't seen. Granted, putting this much distance between us means she gets that her massive body doesn't lend itself to stealth. Enough about her. Let me recall how we ended up here in the first place...

Me and Odette had a talk about who to target after the third election, where that crazy thin Japanese lady got eliminated. Odette's intuition played a big part in us targeting Ro, so we still hadn't made use of the cards we were dealt at the beginning. Knowing there'd be a name or two among those initial cards, we decided to go after whoever was in my set. Normally I'd be against showing off my cards, but Odette told me which card she'd taken from Ro immediately afterwards, so... Well, not like she chose to do that without planning to get something in return.

Turns out I had that Russian kid's name card. Sofiya something-something. The kid had been through some rough stuff, but it ain't any of my concern. We took her parents hostage and Odette got her to spill her life story. Thing is, she implied that she had one of Odette's cards. Not only that, but Odette decided to give her some time to screw around. Time to let her get over her regret, really. Can't say why she did it, but there ain't no point in trying to get into that woman's head. I wouldn't have been able to learn much about Sofiya with just her name, so I decided not to complain.

Had things gone according to plan, Odette would've eliminated Sofiya, but that Miharu broad one-upped her. Make no mistake, Odette ain't the type to let something like that slow her down. We're the same in that regard. Plenty of things went awry for me back in Italy, but I never took issue with it. In fact, those situations are when people expose their worst side. You gotta make the most of that. Just like I said in the Court of Fate, two of the three cards dealt to me at the beginning belong to participants that've already been eliminated.

Next up is Numeral V, Ushizuka Shigetsugu. Odette had his name card, so we used it to dig up dirt on him, and here we are.

Hey, space cadet. Get it together; we're heading back.

The hell? You sayin' we can't jump the old geezer now and make him squeal? That, or we could break into his house while he's gone.

You sure enough oxygen's reaching that brain of yours up in space? Ain't no one crazy enough to do that at this time of day. Not unless they wanna be caught and reported to the police. Don't forget, this is a residential district. We can't go wild like with Sofiya and Ro. We gotta come back early in the morning or late at night.

Only got yourself to blame for that.

She smashes her foot down on mine again. Guess she isn't too pleased about the implication that she's the only one that stands out.

We didn't get any worthwhile info here, did we?

So you'd think, but it's easy to take a stab at how he died now that we've seen his house.

How's that run-down shack gonna hel- Oh. Now I see where you're going.

Heh. You're on point for once. Keep going.

Tch...

Figured she'd spill the beans if I acted like I caught on, but... that didn't go quite as planned. Now I know not even to bother pretending. She smacks my shoulder before she continues.

This is a lonely old man we're talking about. In a country that's become known for cases of the elderly being discovered dead in their homes, no less. Knowing how insular Japan and its people can be, that's probably why it happens so often. Hell, apparently they even have specialists to deal with the dead and rotting bodies, too.

Anyway, just remember what the woman told you. That's as big of a hint as you can get.

That fatty did enjoy running her mouth...

I think back to what she told me. Seems like there were rumors of him kicking the bucket, since he rarely left the house.

Starvation, huh? You think that's it? Insular as Japan may be, it's a developed country. Wouldn't he have gotten retirement or unemployment benefits or something?

Under normal circumstances, maybe. The woman did mention that he had a bad back, right?

Yeah, that's right. Dunno why she remembers more of this stuff than me when I was the one who talked to the woman.

Don't underestimate lower back pain. A shipmate of mine suffered from it once, and they couldn't bring themselves to move even an inch. So let's assume the geezer got hit by it out of nowhere. Well, ignoring the fact that it wouldn't be sudden if he'd been suffering from it before, but...

He don't got no one to call for help. Everyone's used to him staying inside, so they wouldn't bat an eyelid. Not like he's getting direct care from the government, just disability benefits, so no one there's gonna come check on him. All it takes is a week without food or three days without water for someone to croak. Trust me.

I can tell she's serious by the tone of her voice. Knowing what she's been involved in, I wouldn't be surprised if her crew had come close to starvation at some point. That, or she's seen it happen to one of her shipmates before.

So basically, he starved to death after suffering from some crazy back pain, and all because no one was there to help him. It's possible, but would it really happen that qui- whoa!

A familiar light emanates from my book. The sign that a new card's been made. The same thing happens for Odette, too. When she notices, she can't help but grin. It's honestly sickening just how good she is at this.

Even now, he seemed well enough when he left just now. Same for that Russian kid. Guess that any participants with obvious symptoms are cured of them during Divine Selection.

...You're probably on the right track there. Chances are, everyone's physical condition gets reverted to a time when they were healthy.

She nods in reaffirmation after repeating what I said. I half-expected her to say she doesn't care, so it takes me by surprise. Her expression reverts to its usual state, and then she turns around.

All right, we got enough info for today. Let's head back.

We head back the way we came, making sure not to be spotted by Ushizuka.

…...

BGM: Alan

Unbeknownst to Rinka, Alan has been tailing her for the past few days. It brings him to the residential district where Ushizuka Shigetsugu, whose name he has yet to learn, lives. What's more, he has learned the whereabouts of both her school and Lion House. Seeing that she's making her way to school after obtaining the elderly man's name card, he chooses to stop tailing her for the time being. He closes his eyes and recalls her figure.

Rinka...

Eliminating her would prove a simple task, were he to actively focus on it. However, a number of reasons prevent him from doing so. The first is her relationship with Number II- Miharu. She may have gone to lengths to make it seem like they had a falling-out, but Alan witnessed them being friendly at Lion House. It confirmed to him that they are still cooperating. One cannot target Shishimai Rinka without first dealing with Hebinata Miharu.

Alan has no idea which cards she was dealt at the beginning either, which is the main reason for his hesitation in getting involved with her. Her actions during the previous election show that she cannot be underestimated. She may have eliminated a girl far younger than herself, but she went head-to-head with Numeral XI to obtain election rights.

The biggest reason of all, however, is that Alan has found himself under suspicion from Japan's police. His recklessness while obtaining Kamebuchi Keiko's information has landed him in a tight spot. He had made sure to scout out the positions of each camera in the hospital and cut off those he couldn't avoid. But something unexpected happened... He somehow ended up on the list of suspects responsible for the attack on the hospital. Under normal circumstances, he would use illegal means to ensure that he would not be arrested, but his current situation does not allow for that. Especially because he holds far less influence in Japan than back in India, where his company is based. He may have some leeway, but now is no time to flex those muscles.

Valid as those reasons are, Alan is simply using them as a means to distract himself from the reality of the matter. There is a far simpler reason behind his choice to not pursue Rinka. One that he had noticed earlier. The look in her eyes... It reminded him of himself. Not only does she lack his amassed fortune, but she is also nowhere near as physically imposing. And yet, somehow, her eyes burned with a determination matching his own...

More importantly...

Alan has the chance to learn the old man's name the same way that Rinka did, but he opts not to. To be more accurate, he can't. This is thanks to his spotting a particular duo keeping their eye on the old man's home. Numerals III and XI. Alan arrived after Rinka's departure, so they likely had no idea she was also there.

Numeral XI is in possession of Numeral V's name card, if I recall.

That was more than enough reason to understand why she was here. With sufficient connections at one's disposal, learning where someone lives based on their name alone is a simple feat. What surprises Alan is the fact that someone like her would cooperate with Numeral III. The sheer stupidity he displayed in the Court of Fate had Alan convinced that he could be left for later, but that was no longer the case if he's with Numeral XI.

It may not seem like it, but Alan has respect for those who have eliminated other participants. Only two people have earned this respect thus far. One is Miharu, and the other is Numeral XI. Alan can also tell that the latter is no ordinary person. One glance was all he needed to understand her background and the deeds in which she had been involved. Based on what he's seen, she seems to have the upper hand with Numeral III.

He must be her foot soldier of sorts. Regardless, I know now what must be done.

His target switches from the old man to those two. Keeping an eye on them will likely lead to him getting his hands on Numeral V's information without much effort. Not only that, but discovering where they're based now, while unaware of his plans, will give him the advantage down the line. That may be enough to make up for the disadvantage his celebrity status gives him.

He begins to tail the two, taking extra care not to be noticed.

…...

Soon after, Alan returns to the residential district. His attempt to tail them hasn't ended as well as hoped. Not from being noticed, though. Alan trusts himself to not slip up when it comes to that. However, those two must have unconsciously taken a path to shake a ny potential pursuers. It eventually led to him losing sight of them.

My priority should lie with Numeral XI.

He mutters to himself so as not to stand out. He then makes his way back to his own base of operations. The time has come for him to finally take action.

-----

Cardbook has updated.

V – Name – Ushizuka Shigetsugu
IX – Regret – Gold Medal

V – Cause of Death – Death by Starvation
VII – Name – Ro Chanho

VII – Name – Ro Chanho
VII – Regret – Dog

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mix. posted:

You know that Numeral XI is looking to eliminate as many people as she possibly can, so I wanted to make sure she couldn't get her hands on my card. More importantly though, the prospect of her snatching up your card terrified me.

Then she probably should've picked a different card from Sonya so that a)she has a better chance of eliminating someone else that she actually wants gone and b)no one can get Rinka's card by interrogating/eliminating Miharu. That wasn't very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, finally caught up.

[1] There's some stuff we really haven't looked into that I think bears closer examination. Why is all this going on in the first place? And why would everyone be gathered in one place once the dust settled... normally?

[2] I'm 80% sure the man from the dream is Lethe the cat. They have the same pendant, and eyes.

[3]

quote:

:allears:

Also that costs $50? Jeez.

[4]
Mix, how on earth do you make these updates at this utterly precipitous rate? I can't figure it out and my mind boggles.