Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

Getting the JRPG-itch after playing FF7 Remake recently and DQ11 a few years ago. I see that I have FF9 in my Steam library, is this a game that is worth playing today? It's the only FF I haven't played from the PSX and PS2-era, but I'd rather not use 10 hours to find out it's not very good. I'm also curious if there is a lot of grinding required to level up to not just die to bosses, or if you get all you need with XP and equipment just from following the story.

You almost certainly won't need to grind in FF9. It's a pretty easy game overall. There are a handful of tough bosses (including the final boss) but nothing that you can't get around with good planning rather than grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've mentioned it before but part of what makes moguri mod good is it comes with the backend stuff that lets you set the game to a turn-based mode that skips some of the dead air during combat

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Also it allows you to beat Yiazmat in 30 minutes!
I beat Hell Wyrm and that's enough for me honestly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

iirc turn-based has a few glitches but I can't remember what they were and they may hae been fixed by now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

iirc turn-based has a few glitches but I can't remember what they were and they may hae been fixed by now

the only thing I remember getting owned by is the heat status effect being a death sentence due to the way the ATB is manipulated to make turn-based mode possible but that's not very common

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Any game with random encounters needs a speed up button. Thankfully random encounters are a thing of the past.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Any game with random encounters needs a speed up button. Thankfully random encounters are a thing of the past.

Octopath Traveller 2 came out last year.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the known issue mentioned on the moguri page is that you can't beat ozma in turn-based mode, though it looks like they just force-disable turn based mode for ozma

the technical reason is amusing, ozma has a 255 speed stat so its atb is almost always full. in normal atb your moves happen after ozma's so this isn't important, but in turn-based this means ozma takes tons of moves before you're allowed one

also goddamn looking at the memoria defaults the battle swirl takes almost 4 seconds each time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Octopath Traveler II has a speedup button, thankfully. Wish it was faster than 2x, but still

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah just experience a videogame in the worst way possible

The only good LPs are for super old video games you would never want to play.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Octopath Traveller 2 came out last year.

Why make random encounters when Chrono Trigger perfected ATB with enemies on the map 30 years ago :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

History has taught us that it's not fair to hold things to Chrono Trigger's standards.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Octopath Traveler 2 is so drat good, sped up or not

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

Getting the JRPG-itch after playing FF7 Remake recently and DQ11 a few years ago. I see that I have FF9 in my Steam library, is this a game that is worth playing today? It's the only FF I haven't played from the PSX and PS2-era, but I'd rather not use 10 hours to find out it's not very good. I'm also curious if there is a lot of grinding required to level up to not just die to bosses, or if you get all you need with XP and equipment just from following the story.

The grind is mostly up to you, you get new abilities by mastering weapons so it's all dependent on if you can just leave abilities unmastered and use the new equipment immediately or if you have to go for completion and do another 7 fights in whatever area you're in before you'll allow yourself to use the new weapon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ff16 combat patch - drat it’s cool they went back and balanced stuff. I felt like my endgame build
Got too good and samey

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Or you can use the built-in cheats of most modern versions to master the abilities whenever you feel like it.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll download the moguri mod and give FF9 a whirl. Will update with a trip report next week!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Or you can use the built-in cheats of most modern versions to master the abilities whenever you feel like it.

Also gives you Quina’s spellbook which fucks off the worst part of the game.
Pokemon mechanics were shite when they were in Pokemon gen 1.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, very slow, but very cosy vibes. Be a good game to plug away at for an hour or so every other day.

I think people should do more than 2 fights every other day

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My biggest bugbear with ff9 is the way you have to scroll through empty menus for skills and magic in battle, they fill up as you learn new spells etc over time but it's annoying to scroll several blank pages to cast a basic spell. Known abilities and such should be at the top.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

so, uh, Yuffie sure is super loving powerful in Rebirth, huh

that limit of hers :staredog:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You'd think Yuffie would be just posing but no she's actually hyper competent and powerful despite the way she acts around people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is what kind owns about her. She is a giant arrogant blowhard doofus who is extremely loving good at her job, to the point she came within moments of pulling off the biggest assassination in the world.

Edit: Yuffie is a better sniper/assassin than Irvine.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My biggest bugbear with ff9 is the way you have to scroll through empty menus for skills and magic in battle, they fill up as you learn new spells etc over time but it's annoying to scroll several blank pages to cast a basic spell. Known abilities and such should be at the top.
Steal also being a massive waste of time without Moguri fixing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yuffie's super capable in a Trevor Belmont Castlevania anime sense. If she's gotta fight somebody, S-rank, fantastic ninja. Otherwise, she can fluctuate anywhere from D-A while still keeping that same confidence.

Bear in mind I'm only going off of Intergrade, no idea what anyone does in Rebirth aside from things people complain about like Mia and Chadley

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yuffie's super capable in a Trevor Belmont Castlevania anime sense. If she's gotta fight somebody, S-rank, fantastic ninja. Otherwise, she can fluctuate anywhere from D-A while still keeping that same confidence.

Bear in mind I'm only going off of Intergrade, no idea what anyone does in Rebirth aside from things people complain about like Mia and Chadley

Yuffie basically proves she is extremely good at everything Ninja and extremely bad at anything that requires moving faster than 2mph except Chocobos.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

Yuffie basically proves she is extremely good at everything Ninja and extremely bad at anything that requires moving faster than 2mph except Chocobos.

Another way it's true to the original.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yuffie is pound for pound just as dangerous as Cloud is, lore-wise

Just don't exceed the speed limits!!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Frionnel posted:

Why make random encounters when Chrono Trigger perfected ATB with enemies on the map 30 years ago :negative:

The avoidability of Chrono Trigger's mobs is greatly exaggerated.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ulvir posted:

so, uh, Yuffie sure is super loving powerful in Rebirth, huh

that limit of hers :staredog:

scared?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Run like a chocobo... stab like a tonberry!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Alxprit posted:

That's fine though, only a few off them come off as a dick move, and on a replay you know when they'll happen.

I've just come to really dislike the gameplay of being interrupted on whatever i'm doing by a random battle. I'm glad the series has moved on from it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Getting interrupted by a random battle is fine because its a completely reversible operation and when you're done you're running around the exact same area. Getting interrupted by a random story section is worse because when you're done you may be running around an entirely new place and you haven't even opened all the treasure chests up.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alxprit posted:

It's not that they're avoidable, it's that you can anticipate them

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alxprit posted:

Wait till you do the extra dungeons in the DS / mobile versions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alxprit posted:

Running through the black omen multiple times to see the different endings and knowing exactly how many filler fights I would be forced into was not a fun time.

Also random encounters are fine you people are babies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I call random encounters better than respawning field encounters, because I can tell how many fights I'm expected to have done between plot beats. If there's an average of ten fights between save points, I can reason that I'm expected to be ten fights stronger.

The option that I didn't realize was on the table until finally playing Grandia 2 was non-respawning field encounters, though, and that needs to get more attention. If you just wipe out every enemy spawn in the dungeon, you can figure out what to do next or where all the loot is with no problems. I wouldn't take that in all RPGs, but it's a pretty good angle.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
just give me the The World Ends With You system. if you want a fight, you hit the button that lets you psychically attune to the monster dimension and all the possible encounters show up as cryptic monster glyphs. Tap one if you want to fight. Tap multiple if you want to chain several battles (which gives you better drop rates) If you don't want to fight, don't press the button.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Running through the black omen multiple times to see the different endings and knowing exactly how many filler fights I would be forced into was not a fun time.

Also random encounters are fine you people are babies.

The extra dungeons added in the DS version has fixed encounters you're forced to go through are so bad. You have a walk to go through each time there and back (of which you have to do multiple times) and the encounters aren't even that hard, but don't give any good drops in terms of exp or items (or things to charm) which at least with the black omen you got these things. It's just awful unfun filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cleretic posted:

I call random encounters better than respawning field encounters, because I can tell how many fights I'm expected to have done between plot beats. If there's an average of ten fights between save points, I can reason that I'm expected to be ten fights stronger.

The option that I didn't realize was on the table until finally playing Grandia 2 was non-respawning field encounters, though, and that needs to get more attention. If you just wipe out every enemy spawn in the dungeon, you can figure out what to do next or where all the loot is with no problems. I wouldn't take that in all RPGs, but it's a pretty good angle.

Have you ever played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest?