Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Artelier posted:

I've convinced people to play FFVIII by explaining to them about how Squall will not let anyone talk about him in the past tense!!

kill screen (remember them, lol)'s article about FF8 was one of the things that got me to try the game way back when

quote:

There’s the part where he rescues love interest Rinoa from the void of space. In a long, dreamy sequence, her space suit rises from the bottom of the screen and tumbles toward the camera, framed against a curtain of stars that looks like a graveyard for every ellipsis wasted in the game’s dialogue. When Squall jumps out to catch her, the game makes its own creative leap, switching to first-person controls for the first and only time. It’s an unabashedly sentimental, enormous moment, backed by lavishly produced music and cinematics, the work of a studio at the height of its powers. And at the end of this triumphant episode, Squall and Rinoa find themselves safe in another ship, and she asks him to hug her: “I need to know that I’m alive!” And he flat-out refuses. He will not budge on the hug issue. It is, somehow, the most unbelievable thing in their entire space adventure.

This is the game’s unusual, not infrequently hilarious rhythm, and I’d enter it as evidence that FFVIII is interested in telling a story in a way that most games are not. Marcus Fenix doesn’t get along with his dad, Joel lies to Ellie, Commander Shepard tries to get the wrong alien into the hot tub on his space-yacht, or whatever—none of gaming’s stars really gently caress up in the sight of the player and God like Squall does. They make forced errors and sometimes they hold their heads in their hands and ask whether it was all worth it. But it’s only the cool man’s passing melancholy, which departs before it does damage to his reputation.

[...]

That guy turned out to be more traumatized than tough, and as likely to freeze up as to make the right call—at one point, his comrades have to berate him into saving his own girlfriend. He was designed to be less than cool, which is not a concept that survives many conference rooms in this industry. It didn’t survive in the Final Fantasy series itself: one game later, our hero was a brave little monkey-man introduced with a platitude (“You don’t need a reason to help people.”) How could that guy not save the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one of the most highly regarded western fantasy RPGs for dialogue ever has the main character with an American accent (lol)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

elden ring’s corrected that somewhat

im never replaying an AC ever again but it was in Assassins Creed 4 too, though not a thick Welsh accent

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah subtitles do add a distancing effect but i'll still generally prefer them though i've seen some really good english dubs in games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rythian posted:

What game are you talking about, out of curiosity?

Geralt, in Witcher 3 (for some godforsaken reason I typed lol in there instead of the game title)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oddly enough mass effect 2/3 did mostly full level carryovers by doubling the skill and level caps lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh I get it because I think Cloud Strife is a cooler name than like, Claude Strauss or whatever the "actual" kana reading of his name is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

isn't FF9's ending just "guy gets girl" with a few where-are-they-now interludes on the way

that cut together with Vivi's letter which made everyone cry

vivi is one of those guys who makes me think about how easy it is to gently caress up child party members in RPGs and how hard they are to get right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if trance be cooler if they hid the meter

this sounds dumb but it kinda worked in dq11

though that had a bunch of QOL additions like bring able to save it by hotswapping the party member out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I killed the act 2 final boss in DQ11 with the four party member super-pep move which seemed like such a perfect coincidence that I wonder if it was scripted

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That was the best ending because you got cute red xiii puppies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ff7 didnt require grinding in the classical sense at all when i played it, granted that's partially because e-skill is broken

in fact discounting Pokemon it's hard for me to think of the last JRPG i played that actually compelled me to grind for levels as opposed to drops or something. maybe slightly in SMTV so i could fuse Pyrojack for the first boss but that was like 10 minutes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
carry armor reacted really poorly to getting spammed with magic breath and that wasn't even one of the e-skills that needed a lot of doing to find like Big Guard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually i did grind at oen point which was because i entered the northern crater with everyone's levels at a multiple of 4 and one of the rando enemies loves using L4 Death lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love old school JRPG bullshit but instadeath spells are one of those things i wouldnt mind going away forever and yes i mean you SMT

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its amazing how many RPGs where i've looked up guides and it was like "by the way the evade stat does literally nothing" lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Using items for attacks was something I have not done in an RPG for a very long time. It was certainly worth the money this game.

Just like every rpg I've ever played I ended with a combined 420 ethers elixirs and megalixers lol

E) well except SMT that's definitely a "you had better use your items" game

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 3, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what about Freya's legs how many leg days did she miss

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that's no excuse!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lightning is a mountie?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one of the acid tests I use for playing turn-based JRPGs is if using buff/debuff commands is ever worthwhile versus just continuing to spam damage moves

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think I'm broken because I went from hating the pace of ff9 combat to considering it relaxing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and why can summons blow up cities in cutscenes but do like 3000 damage in battle??? what were they THINKING

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Freya's design and characterization when you meet her are strong enough that you kind of forget that her arc is kind of wrapped up really early and she doesn't do much after that.

Which is a shame because I absolutely love her character design, and especially her costuming.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't try to argue with the fanboys who can't accept the most mild, lukewarm criticism of their game like "people don't gasp when they turn their head."

clearly the "fanboys" are the weird ones here and not the people mad at grunt noise s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im an anime

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are almost no games and even movies which have purely naturalistic dialogue lol because pure "how people talk irl" naturalism ends up being weird on screen because we don't expect it

Also this is a gsme where people make giant rear end theatrical speeches about the planet or the Shinra Corporation while on a mission or something which has never happened to me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to a large extent it's just how dialogue backchanneling works in a lot of Japanese media lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have the best anime avatar

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rhymes with quinoa.

I thought quinoa was in ff9

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
compeltely wrong that exodus sounds cooler than ExDeath

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Exodus sounds like the subtitle of an assassins creed game which is the least cool thing possible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"it sounds cooler" is and has always been a valid localization preference choice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no exdeath is cooler

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FrostyPox posted:

If I wasn't strictly sticking with default names for my first play through I would've named her "Aeristh"

i liked the translation video series where her name was just entered as "AERIス"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah and why's it called final fantasy anyway????? and how about those airline peanuts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

"Your inability to understand art clearly prohibits you from recognizing a person who says the F-slur should be probated." Maybe I don't get art but you don't understand anything based on this stupid rear end post.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if I remember right in their early days they had something of an alliterative title thing going on too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's funny when summons destroy cities in cutscenes and do 500 damage in battle but it's funny in the same way as like, asking why people sing instead of running away when someone is about to knife them to death in an opera. there are just some conventions that you kind of have to accept when trying to actually engage with game storytelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the VIII remaster has improved graphics and i think it has the same QOL improvements with 3x speed/random battle disabling as the FF7 port