Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have a FFXIV spoiler: it's the best Final Fantasy.

It's certainly the best if measured by raw volume of material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Final Fantasy VIII has to be my most undecided in the main series. There are so many things that I like about the game like the junction system, the music, Triple Triad, and the summons.

The characters and plot are just so weak, which is weird because the concept of specially trained military students that are sent around the world to be used as weapons is cool, but everything else? The love story is like a glass of room temperature water, mostly due to Squall having the personality of unreinforced concrete. The Laguna parts, while initially interesting due to being an actual good character, falls apart too quickly by the end. The sorcerer from the future that wants to destroy the present is when I throw my hands up and say "ok, that's enough, I just want to go back to playing cards in Balamb Garden".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

At the very least, it makes you empathize with the main character, who ALSO doesn't want to bother with everyone's crushingly dumb bullshit going on around him but does anyway

Squall thinks the plot is EXACTLY as dumb as we do. Probably moreso, because he doesn't get to blame the writers for it, that's just his life

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I heard his full name was Edward Geraldine, he sounds like a nerd.

Does anyone ever think it's weird that there are two Edwards in 4's cast? It's alleviated that one of them goes by a chuuni nickname to distinguish them, but it's still a weird writing choice. It's not like real life where people coincidentally have the same name, Edge could have been named whatever

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gologle posted:

So, Zeal literally being in FF14 now makes me think that the noise that drove the Amaurotine to extinction was, literally, actually, factually just Lavos, and either the next major patches after EW or the next expansion afterward will be us going full Chrono Trigger to beat it for good.

EDIT: But then again, Azys Lla was also Zeal, so who knows. I just want to Chrono Trigger in FF14

I mean, G'raha with his implanted future memories probably knows a thing or two about the mechanics of time travel from all that poo poo the future-people reverse engineered from Omega and Alexander and the Crystal Tower, he could certainly give us a head-start on developing the Epoch

fake edit: assuming those floating islands aren't just Literally Heaven or something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CT is maybe not the absolute best jrpg ever made, but it does lots of things very well and has very few annoying bullshit bits. It lacks the really low lows the genre can hit sometimes, and while it doesn't hit the unquestionably highest highs, it's on average pretty high.

I mean hell, it's a jrpg that has a brusque pace and doesn't make you grind a lot just to pad itself out, that's almost a novelty even today

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Final Fantasy 8 is utterly fascinatingly bizarre in that the technical capabilities have improved as they got more accustomed to the hardware and what they could do with it, everything is on SOME level more polished, but it has... not less ambition than its predecessor, but more a sense of "eh let's just gently caress around." They succeeded, they made the Playstation's killer app with 7, now they can just do whatever seems fun in a stream-of-consciousness way.

It's like how John Boorman got the Best Director Oscar for Deliverance and took that clout and influence and freedom from constraint and made fuckin Zardoz and Exorcist 2 and other batshit crazy nonsense because screw it, he had nothing to prove.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

I do appreciate the added lore weirdness there. Apparently you continue to age when you're Unsent? What would have happened if Maester Mika had continued to remain Unsent? How long until he was just a walking skeleton?

Well since usually what happens is Unsent eventually turn into a flan or a murderous dog or a giant bee or whatever, I'd say Maester Mika is aging rather gracefully all things considered

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

jokes posted:

If they could make FF12 but with FF11’s TP system and skillchains that would be a truly wonderful experience.

Or Chrono Trigger-style tech combos

More rpgs should steal the double and triple techs from Chrono Trigger, combination attacks are rad

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hogama posted:

in retrospect as remarkably bold a departure from the rest of the series as it was, the commercial failure of ff6 pixel remaster can probably be attributed to the crunkcore, noise, and glitch hop-inspired soundtrack

You joke, but there are certainly bits here and there where that would actually kinda fit. Zozo and Vector come to mind

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

jokes posted:

I like thiefs for main characters because it allows them to be goofier and more youthful compared to the older, wiser, more grizzled man whose incredibly advanced years have turned him into the beefy weapon/armor guy, like Auron at the advanced age of 35 or Steiner at 33 or Basch at 36.

I cannot believe Auron is 35.

Lay off Auron, Spira ages you hard. Maester Mika is probably like 50

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

One of the worst examples of Final Fantasy age dilation is Quistis. Girl is supposed to be this mentor figure to all the other little seedsters with complicated protective yet romantic feelings toward Squall, then you find out she's like a whole year older.

True, but the older you make her the more her character veers from "responsible know-it-all upper classman student council president type" and more into "sad teacher hitting on teenage students" creepiness

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Also no talk of FF ages is complete without mentioning General Celes the 18-year-old.

Hey, you get the magic infusion treatment and don't go Kefka-crazy, you've earned a commission.

Plus it might be a mostly show-title, like in that Captain America movie where for a long time he was just in stage shows punching an actor dressed as Hitler and getting people to buy war bonds

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HD DAD posted:

FFV is the breeziest, chill game in the series. Just a dude and his gal pals (and Galuf) learning increasingly ludicrous ways of killing things while they try and take down a Power Rangers villain. It’s fantastic.

Interesting how this also sorta describes FF8, it even has Rita Repulsa as the main villain!

Poor Squall, a FF7 character trapped in FF5

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Complete_Cynic posted:

Not sure if this is head-canon or stated somewhere but I thought it was a range thing and their choppers couldn't go that far from a fuel source - with the Highwind getting worked on and the Gelnika doing ???? the Bronco was the only other long-range aircraft.

Not saying it holds up that well but it worked well enough for my dumb rear end back when I first played.

You know, for as much as their whole society runs off it to the point where the power company is a scifi megacorp, Mako seems like a kinda lovely inefficient power source where it takes 8 giant-as-gently caress reactor complexes to run a single city the size of Toronto. Who knew souls had such poor energy density? It's a wonder all the giant robots and stuff can run for more than five minutes at a time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

zedprime posted:

Heavy industry 200 MW
Slums 150 MW
Shinra HQ 800 MW
Hojo's Lab 3,600 MW
Suburbs 150 MW
someone who is good at power please help me budget this. my city is dying

It's not like the slums NEED all those neon signs and giant tvs and poo poo

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 8, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

I have a few issues with it. Please see below:

• A dolphin cannot jump that high
  • Cloud weighs maybe 250+ pounds? Plus the inventory of the party puts the total weight at 2 tons
  • The water is not deep enough for the dolphin to obtain the height necessary to reach that beam

Look, I know this world has alien moms from outer space, giant robot scorpions with laser tails, and colorful marbles that allow you to cast magic , but I draw the line at unrealistic real-world animal depictions.

Dolphins have a long and storied tradition of training in the art of the dragoon

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Clearly that dolphin was infused with mako and Jenova cells as part of Shinra's aquatic special ops, the MARINE Program.

For their Navy's amphibious elite strike teams, they used seals.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FFII is the Zelda II of the franchise. What that means in terms of quality I leave to the reader.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Levantine posted:

I'm not sure what's better - them playing this over the top ironically or someone on design thinking that's unironically the coolest poo poo. I'm down either way.

There's no way the funny bits aren't intentionally funny, but it doesn't seem ironic, more sorta straight faced high camp. They DO think it's the coolest poo poo with all sincerity, even the goofy dumb parts they know are goofy and dumb. It kinda feels like Resident Evil 4?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Am I wrong for just kind of assuming Origins is going to end partway through retelling FF1? I just get the feeling they're going to end it after the earth cave or something and leave the back half for a sequel.

^^^^^ Should saved the white mage to go with the black mage for Jack White and Jack Black.

I mean, they've shown a Tiamat boss fight in the E3 trailer

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Basically just sit back and enjoy the excellent VA work. It's a top tier FF in that aspect and you'll get none of the cringy ahegao weeb grunts, squeeks, vocalizations and mannerisms that plagued FF7r.

Do you complain when someone sitting in the table next to you in a restaurant chews too loudly?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Isn't it a thing where he's short and kinda young-looking for his age as a clue that he's a Genome that doesn't age like normal people?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

imo you shouldnt kill chaos

...bullshit

*blasts Limp Bizkit on my earbuds, leaves*

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

He's an incel.

Vincel.

Turns out the true source of all his vampire abilities is the power of NoFap

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Endorph posted:

i interpret it more as 'cait sith literally cant make any sad/emotional gestures.' its only functions are combat and spying. its cover was working at the gold saucer, so it can dance around and be goofy, but there's no reason he would have built it to be able to express negative emotions. even in the scene where the first cait sith dies its all 'ah, geez, guys, it was a lot of fun!!!'

Interesting how this contrasts with Remake Cait Sith, where they go with the direction of having him pound his fist on the ground in visible frustration and despair upon witnessing the plate drop like fanart of a Sonic OC reacting to 9/11. Limitation of the PS1 graphics I guess

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

If there's one thing FF7 does in spades, it's awkward jarring clashes of tone, and Cait Sith embodies that better than anyone.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That is an impressively visible surge of confusion mixed with revulsion

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Not going to lie.

I'd enjoy a Stranger of Paradising of all the games in the series.

"Cecil, take this package t-"
"Whatever. *marches out while buttrock plays.*"

"My name is Eric. Eric Sephiroth."

"My name is Butz. Butz Exdeath"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hojo is the Henry Kissinger of Final Fantasy

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Doesn't he upload his mind to the mako internet in Dirge of Cerberus or something?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

There should be more games in this vein, just wild reimaginings of poo poo from the NES era and earlier where the source material is so sparse in detail that it leaves room for bizarre interpretation. Like how the box art for old games was always a fever dream of nonsense that only bore the vaguest possible resemblance to the pixelly mess on the screen. Now that box art can be faithfully rendered in 4K!

Really the only other successful mainstream examples I can think of for this are BotW as a modern redo of sorts for Zelda 1, with Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Bomberman Act Zero as horrible cautionary tales

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I thought that was Radiant Historia

I thought it was Chrono Cross

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If the shot in the trailer of the 4 characters mirroring the original FF1 intro screen was the other 4 characters besides Jack, I'd have to guess that that's from the very end, where the other 4 realize they're stuck in a loop where Jack becomes Garland, but since Jack's one of the 4 I have no idea.

I have to imagine there's gonna be some sort of "ok you will forget everything as usual but this *one hidden clue* will guide you to finally breaking the loop" at the very end, to lead into the actual FF1 story.

Calling it now: upon his apotheosis into Chaos, future!Jack leaves behind his smartphone full of selfies taken during his quest, which is found by past!Jack. See, that dumb anachronistic phone that sticks out like a sore thumb was Chekov's Gun this whole time!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is kind of a unique thing FF has had since at least 7 or so, the notion that a sufficiently advanced magical fantasy society, instead of crystal spires and robes and stuff everywhere, will converge on a recognizably modern aesthetic where people just drive cars and wear t-shirts.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Runa posted:

Bullshit

SoP's a prequel!!

That's the beautiful part about a story that has a time loop in it! The entire game is simultaneously a prequel to itself

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The biggest misstep in the remake's writing is that Barrett is so switched off in the Shinra presentations. Dude, this is the enemy's direct PR, you should either be taking notes so you can appropriately combat it, or already have the counterpoints mentally queued up!

He's probably heard it all before in one form or another, and the only people he would be evangelizing his counterpoints to are the people who are already volunteering to join him in storming Shinra HQ to rescue their friend from Dr Mengele and don't really need much convincing. You really want Barret to be spamming slogans at the drop of a hat just for the sake of it? Dude's regarding this monument to High Modernist hubris with quiet familiar disgust. At this point he's directly combating it by planning to put a dozen bullets in President Shinra at the first moment of convenience.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shabadu posted:

One can be forgiven for mistaking Setzer as a pirate lady

This can be applied to like a third of Amano characters

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Final Fantasy has always had wildly shifting tones from scene to scene, with 7 probably having the most whiplash. It legit goes from meeting Aerith to Wall Market guy in dress shenanigans to 9/11 times a hundred to climbing a million stairs to President Shinra bloodily skewered on a katana to a motorcycle chase scene, all in the span of MAYBE an hour.

7's the big example, but most of them have this too. Especially 9 and 10, with the former's cartoony chibi artstyle contrasted with hilariously dark actual plot content, and the latter having weird comic relief from Wakka that even in-universe is tone-deaf and offensive sometimes. This was less an issue in the NES games because they barely had the ability to express ONE tone, let alone several in quick succession.

In terms of tonal consistency the winners might be 5 and its saturday morning adventure cartoon vibe, and 8 with its unrelenting surreal weirdness being inflicted on attempted teenage angst.

e: and this weird tonal shifting isn't a BAD thing really, the contrasts add texture and gives things a weird sorta feeling of realness because real life never has a consistent tone either

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

"Using unique, interesting abilities is so tedious! Why can't we just hit the attack command like in FF1?" - Actual complaint about FFVI.

It does sort of raise the question of "why have a generic 'attack' command at all?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

jokes posted:

I always thought Conan was scantily clad beefcakes and babes swinging swords and axes at demons and slaves and slavers. Where was the aliens and eldritch gods and robots? Do I need to rewatch Conan?

Those would be the aforementioned "demons" Conan and Co. swing their swords at. He doesn't know what the gently caress an alien or a robot or an extradimensional being is, he just sees a weird monster summoned from beyond the stars by some rear end in a top hat wizard that is nonetheless not immune to just being stabbed.