Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just out or curiosity, anyone prefer the original translation of FFT? The new translation was fine, but the original felt more natural (if that makes sense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Last Celebration posted:

Both are kinda jank from what I’ve seen/remembered, the original has that classic PSX-era “why the does a text heavy game need a dedicated translator, just have a bug fixer do it” jank and WotL is trying too hard to be flowery instead of just getting Alexander O Smith to just do it like XII.

The WOTL translation was a touch too flowery for me as well :smith:.

Sakurazuka posted:

No because the original translation might have a couple of cool sounding lines but it's also a bad transition that barely makes any sense half of the time.

While I don't disagree, I think it was pretty okish to understand :unsmith:.

Harrow posted:

I think I like them about equally, weirdly enough. I think the WotL translation has some great lines, but the retranslated names are often way overwrought, and so are some moments of dialogue. On the other hand, the original is often nonsense, but it does still have the line "Blame yourself or God!" and it has the cool spellcasting quotes, so they both have their charms.

It's possible I'm warmer towards the original translation than I otherwise would be because I've played it enough times since I was a kid that I can decipher what it's trying to say. Without that history I'd probably be a lot less generous to it.

Rose tinted glasses can do that. I think that is also why I am more favorable to to the original.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I gotta see if I still have this sheet of paper I had as a kid that had all the elements I wanted on my main characters in Chrono Cross. It was such a pain in the rear end when they would wipe them off your characters and you had to remember what you had on them.

I do love that game though, the OST was :discourse:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It might have been a fever dream but didn't they release an updated version of FFXII recently? Got this urge to play it again.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the Zodiac Age remaster, which is on PC, PS4, Xbox, and Switch.

What we're talking about here is a mod for the PC version of Zodiac Age called Struggle for Freedom which rebalances the whole game to be more challenging but also more strategic, and also fixes some of the previously-useless weapon types like axes/hammers.

Awesome, might need to pick that up later on the Switch.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The one thing that lingered in my mind after I played 12 was: Why wasn't Ash or Basch the main character?

Should probably play through Zodiac Age as everyone seems to praise it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Arist posted:

Ashe is the main character.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Ashe is the protagonist. From the moment she joins the party she has the spotlight for the rest of the game. Vaan's the PoV character for the player, but he isn't the protagonist. He plays an important supporting role as a foil for Ashe, but he's not the main character by a long shot.

Should have played as her from the start :colbert:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

zakharov posted:

Is Final Fantasy VIII good or bad

It depends, how do you feel about orphanages?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bruceski posted:

Balthier is the main character of a different story.

:hmmyes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tae posted:

No, because this is their plan for the boomers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ZDKZfr-i0

That actually looks pretty good...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
About to start FF12 on the Switch. Have not played this game since the original PS2 release. Anything I should be going for early on?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

Everyone will eventually get two jobs and also you can respec for free so don't stress too much about... well, anything, really. Nothing is truly missable, either. The worst that can happen is you miss a spell in a chest in a dungeon you completed and have to go back and get it, but you'll never miss anything permanently.

If you want a challenge, doing hunts and fighting optional Espers as soon as they're available can be really challenging, and pretty fun IMO. But again nothing is truly missable so if you would rather wait and come back with better gear, that's cool, too. In general, gear and licenses will have a bigger effect on your power than level for most of the game.

Oh, one thing to note is that there's equipment that boosts the damage of a specific element by 50% and the game doesn't really tell you that in the tooltips. You'll make your Black Mage a lot stronger if they hold a Flame Staff when they cast fire spells, or a Cherry Staff when they cast aero spells, etc.

Thank you for the tips! Are there any "bad" weapon classes I should avoid? I have a vague memory of some weapons being kinda garbage throughout the game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is there a way to keep the target info always on in FFXII? It is a small annoyance but I hate that every fight I need to hit the left Dpad button to turn it on.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

imo you shouldnt kill chaos

:chloe:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Wife saw me playing FF12 again on the Switch and asked me if I was "Playing that game with the stripper bunny again?"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

No Dignity posted:

I think Ashe would at least have to be on the shortlist for worst character design for that character, it's downright bizarre that they thought that's how they should portray a stern and sober deposed princess and guerilla fighter

:hmmyes:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My wife didn’t believe me when I said the character designs were less sexualized in FFXII vs FFX. I don’t think I believe myself any more, either, after playing the HD version for 50 hours or whatever.

Lulu just likes breathable clothing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I would love if they remade the first Xenogears with an actually fleshed out disc 2. That first disc was incredible.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Leal posted:

Same. When I heard rumors of disc 2 I couldn't believe it until I saw an LP of it. You gotta admire the balls to go "Alright, now sit down and be narrated to for like 10 straight hours"

IIRC Square told him to "Wrap it the gently caress up". The creators, who's name eludes me, didn't want the 2nd CD to be like that but decided that was better than the alternative.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

mandatory lesbian posted:

I want them to remake the first disk as the theater room

:mods:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In a stunning collaboration the opera scene music will be performed by The Wiggles

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Been really craving to play FF6 again. Gonna hold off till the PR comes out. Last time I played it was on the PS1 IIRC. Came in like a double disk with FF5 or 4.

Off topic question: How is Dragon Quest XI? I love turn based RPGs and people seem to think highly of this one.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

It's really good. I dunno how much you're familiar with Dragon Quest but generally the gameplay systems are on the simpler side and the story doesn't have a lot of twists, turns, or intrigue, but it's generally a very charming and fun game. It has intentionally old-school turn-based combat so if that appeals to you, you'll have a good time.

Awesome! I have zero experience with DQ games so this sounds like a fun jumping in point.

Elephant Ambush posted:

DQ11 was my favorite game of that year. It's excellent.

That is great to hear! Thank you for the endorsement, seems like a lot of people like it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Please let it be a port of Final Fantasy Tactics on the Switch.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Front Mission 3 was so good. I need to do another play through...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am super excited about Chrono Cross finally coming out, but I can't help but feel like something looks off about it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My friend has been convincing me to try FF14, last time I played was the original beta. Any suggestions or tips for a total newbie?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

Yeah approach it knowing that it’s a story-based game first, second, and third. It’s an MMO like… 7th.

Also, when you do group content tell them you’re new and they’ll be extra helpful.

That is super comforting to know. Friendly communities makes the experience that much better.

FrostyPox posted:

The early game really is "Babby's First MMO" so it eases you into everything and usually explains things quite well.

Don't worry about doing every single side quest, the main scenario quest pretty much always gives you enough XP to keep moving through the chain. If there's a quest with a blue icon, that usually unlocks something cool like a new dungeon or the ability to dye gear or The Golden Saucer, so that's the exception to "don't worry about side quests"

EDIT: The Main Scenario Quest Icon is a starburst-y meteor symbol, whereas side quests are speech bubble icons

Thanks for the info, especially the main quest gives the most XP thing.

Thank ya, I will read it :unsmith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bongo Bill posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn, then.

I really need to get around to play that game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SkeletonHero posted:

Auron is also 35.

What years of drinking hard liquor out of a jug does to a person...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allears:

This man is a treasure.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am so tired and uninterested in gacha or battle royales.

I want my goddamn turn based single player games again.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allears:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

Rude. And chaotic.

Did you say CHAOS?!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Pennfalath posted:

Setzer needs three things to be a monster:
- magic stat
- special dice
- accessory that gives you multiple attacks

Wait, is his attack power based on magic?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I never knew that's how his slots worked...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Did they announce FF6 PR for the Switch yet?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ImpAtom posted:

Algus is also in XIV and just as big a poo poo.

I have nothing to add besides the obligatory "gently caress Algus."

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ManSedan posted:

I’ll be honest there is not a single thing about Final Fantasy Tactics that I enjoy even the slightest.

That makes me sad for some reason :smith:. It is such an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mr. Locke posted:

FFT and TO both have an extremely compelling and political Act 1 and then both eventually push it off a cliff to tell a far less compelling magical horseshit tale. They both redabble a little slightly before kicking off the closing act, but yeah, neither seems to have the faith that people would actually enjoy their medieval politics power struggle and playing a game where they might not be The Good Guy and offramp into something else entirely that is just way less interesting.

Matsuno loves the hell out of this trope. Final Fantasy XII is probably the best execution of it he's done (mostly because it's baked into the concept incredibly early and involves the party being on a far more personal quest from the start) and even it flubs it by taking too long to get to the good parts then speedrunning what should be the final act because We Need To Get This Game Out Already in the first of what would become a trend of Final Fantasies being development disasters.

Denam is one of my favorite video games protagonist.