Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Just think about it, what mainline Final Fantasy has the best of the following:

Setting: Gaia
Main Characters: Steiner, Vivi, Quina
Side Characters: Baku, Puck, Doctor Tot
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3QK6CTg2g
Minigames: Chocobo Hot and Cold, Tetra Master
Bosses: Ozma, Ark, Black Waltz Trio

You're sabotaging your argument by bringing up Gaia and Tretra Master. It's like me trying to push my case for FFX being the best FF and pointing to lightning dodging as an example of why.

Your other points are pretty strong, though. Music is a really tough one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jokes posted:

One of the first things worth mentioning about this title, is that it is the first ever "Direct Sequel" in the main series (the next would be FF13-2, critically panned and frankly just not a good game)

Why ya gotta make me regret my choices like this. You're terribly wrong on both counts.

XIII-2's metacritic score is 79/100 which I don't think meets any definition of "panned by critics." Also notable is that this is much higher than LR's rating which is 66/100. I still remember when XIII-2 first came out and the heaps of praise it got for fixing XIII's many, many problems.

Definitely an awesome game, one of the best in the series, and absolutely as deserving of a proper spot in the OP as certain other, much worse sequels.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Tetra Master was a joke of course, but Gaia? It is easily the best setting in a Final Fantasy. Lindblum, Cleyra, Village of Dali, Lifa Tree, and Burmecia? Come on....

The entire mist concept and the creatures it creates is really cool.

My problem with Gaia is how barren and empty it is outside of the Mist Continent. The Iifa Tree has good atmosphere, and so does Oeilvert and Ipsen's Castle, but there is basically no life anywhere outside of the Mist Continent, just dungeons. It was a common complaint I have with FFVIII. This huge world and everything is crammed onto one continent for the most part.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

You can make this point about FF7 and 8 too though. FF7 has a giant sprawling metropolis in Midgar and then outside of that there's just Junon, the Gold Saucer, and then a bunch of tiny villages. You go to the Wutai continent twice in the entire game, once for Yuffie's sidequest and once to get Mime. FF8 has the same problem where there's one continent that only has Esthar and one continent that has Trabia Garden and the Shumi Village as the only settlements on them. There's the continent with Edea's Orphanage where I think Cid and Edea are the only people living on it lol

I don't think FFVII fits this because you spend equal time on two continents. You start in Midgar, go to Kalm, then Junon. Also Fort Condor and Chocobo Ranch are there. Then in the next continent you have: Costa del Sol,, Corel, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Gungaga, Nibelheim, and Rocket Town. Hell, you probably actually spend mroe time on the second continent going from town to town.

I guess in a sense Esthar is probably bigger and more populous than drat near every place on the second continent in FFVII combined. But it's simply the value of diversity, of going to different places and seeing different stuff. It makes the world feel more interesting and inhabited, IMO.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

OST rankings is the real challenge. Just about every game delivers in that regard - even FF15, a game that's usually ranked on the lower end as a game, is profoundly good in the music area. FF13 is the only clear loser to me because it has the only final boss theme I don't like, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with its soundtrack as a whole so I wouldn't know if its got any gems.

I won't drown you in XIII tracks but I think this is a good representative sample of the best it has to offer:

Blinded by Light - The normal battle music, and generally agreed to be a contender for best normal battle music in the series Hampered by the fact FFXIII combat is all about speed so you will almost never ideally hear the best parts of the song in the game itself.

Snow's Theme - My favorite character theme in the game

Sunleth Waterscape - A bubbly rendition of XIII's main theme, and it might as well serve as the theme song for one of the characters, although it's supposed to be the theme song for a location. I just imagine Vanille singing it.

Dust to Dust - As a song, it's absolutely beautiful. But it plays for a place you can visit near the end of the game and I guess they wanted to do something like Zanarkand again, right down to this playing during battles and there being no victory fanfare music. Only it doesn't work because everything on Pulse is awful and nonsense. This song was better used in XIII-2.

Fighting Fate - I would hesitate to call anything in FFXIII brilliant but this song is perfectly utilized with the main villain's introduction to make the most brilliantly done scene in the game.

I know you didn't ask for it but all this XIII music makes me think of XIII-2 music. Gotta rep the better game some more.

Eclipse + Eclipse (Aggressive Mix) - In XIII-2, you have both a normal area theme and then a more intense version of that theme for when enemies spawn. I love it.

Paradigm Shift - XIII-2 has several different battle themes, all of which are very underrated, but this is one of the best normal battle themes in the franchise.

Caius Theme - Best theme for best villain.

Noel's Theme - One of the most heartbreaking and powerful vocal tracks in all of FF.

Crazy Chocobo - Last but not least, I'd be crucified if I didn't post probably the most iconic song of the game. XIII-2 is just overflowing with great vocal tracks of all kinds.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm coming up on Gran Pulse in FF13, which is where I stopped the first time I played it. How are you supposed to interact with the hunts there? I know there's more story sections after it. Are you supposed to do the story up until the final dungeon and then come back to Gran Pulse to do the side quests?

gently caress if I remember the exact details but I swear there is a Hunt you can do which opens up a shop or something. I just remember I did zero of the Cie'th stones in my first run but then did a decent number in my next, last run and I was grateful. It gave me lots of helpful goodies.

So you can definitely do a few before progressing with the story and finishing the main game. There are optional character moments scattered around too so you can pick those up while doing these sidequests. I think they unlock areas or something too so maybe you need to do the sidequests to get some of those extra scenes, I can't recall.

I was shocked Yeul was namedropped in an optional scene on Pulse. XIII-2 wasn't made up wholecloth.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

Also everybody hates the fal'cie boss themes because they aren't catchy and you know what? That's on purpose, it's alien music for alien beings. It's bad on purpose and I love experimental music like that and the attempt at jazz that plays when you extinct the snuffleupaguses in FF13.

Wait, what fal'cie boss themes?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

The soundtrack isn't as "poppy" as other music in the series, so you probably won't get it stuck in your head to hum along to, but XII has a lot of really beautiful or atmospheric music that fits the world traversing/dungeon exploring vibe of the game well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c79uOLby7H8

I understand that people who actually did the extra Great Crystal content hate the place with a fiery passion, and I don't blame them one bit. But this song is so unbelievably good.

The area music is generally XII's best stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only bad FF soundtrack was X-2, and even it had a few gems. It was just mostly poo poo besides those diamonds in the rough. XII had some great songs and a lot of okay songs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Add another official arrangement of Clash on the Big Bridge. I remember asking after just how many there were a few years ago, assuming there was maybe a handful, and the list I got back had... I dunno, two handfuls, at least 10.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Except for, inexplicably, the battle theme

It's not like Mitsuda has no good battle music to his name but his battle music is certainly not what has made him a living legend. His unforgettable tracks are map, dungeon, and character themes, as well as ending vocal songs. CC's boss music and final boss themes are good but they aren't "the best ever" like Dream of the Shore Near Another World could be the absolute best overworld theme ever. CT has Battle with Magus which is good but no Corridors of Time. Xenogears is kind of interesting in that I think it certainly has his highest collection of good battle music, whereas poor Xenosaga Episode 1, while both battle songs were good, I said "both" because there are only two in the entire drat game.

So yeah. Mitsuda is one of the best video game composers of all time without question. But I look to others if I want a rockin' collection of the best fighting music in JRPGs. Sakuraba, Meguro, etc..

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

related, are there any good fan-patches ala the moguri mod for Chrono cross?

The reasons for porting it to PC just keep growing and growing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xad posted:

a good soundtrack doesn't make a game good

I would know, I play Sonic games

Good thing CC has many other merits, then. It's just kind of hard to appreciate its great gameplay or art while reading the forum.

I played CT and CC for the first time in 2014 I think, maybe 2015 I recognize CT was a pretty well-made game but outside the trial and maybe the flashback with Lucca's mom, I don't think there's much there worth remembering in terms of game content. CC is kind of the reverse as it's a big ol' mess of a game in terms of its storytelling but goddamn if I don't love all the pieces that went into that mess a lot more.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Chrono Cross is a game that is solidly fine, it has very high highs but it has some really bad aspects as well. Only a handful of playable characters get development, the element system makes swapping out characters a hassle so you’re discouraged from fully utilizing the large cast, and the difficulty is maybe too easy except for like two really difficult fights (Miguel and Dario).

There are great plot segments (Fairy genocide, chronopolis, viper manor) and boring pointless filler (almost everything on the Zelbess, Gaia’s Navel, anything with Starky). Thankfully, the New Game + mode included a fast forward button.

To anyone who liked Chrono Cross, I would highly recommend Baten Kaitos. Masato Kato was definitely in a similar mood when writing it, the world has a similar feel, and it’s also highly flawed but with some really excellent parts to it.

Anyway here’s my Chrono Cross character tier list
SS: Serge, Lynx, Glenn
S: Harle, Guile
A: Kid
Bunny-girl: Janice
C: pretty much everyone else
F: Poshul

Always good to find somebody else reppin' the greatness that was Baten Kaitos. It's also another game with an all time great soundtrack.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xad posted:

The Last Story, wii game co-written and directed by sakaguchi

HD DAD posted:

It’s this, with music by Uematsu. It’s literally an FF game with the serial numbers filed off.

Blue Dragon was also written by Sakaguchi with a score by Uematsu so throw that in there, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I just wish Ashe didn’t have those awful pants.

I just wanna know what this pose is

Ashe is supposed to be the fiery, determined, revenge-crazed leader of the Resistance. Nothing about her outfit or this weird-rear end pose communicates any of that

zakharov posted:

Is Final Fantasy VIII good or bad

There is no "bad" numbered FF game that I've played.

But VIII is certainly the worst of these various good to great games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

soon as i fix the fan sound on my 360 or get the later slim e model, im gonna play that loving game and listen to that soundtrack that owns.

It's a fun game with great music. You could do a lot worse.

Mega64 posted:

You just know Uematsu's entire career up to that point was a build up to make Eternity. Guy wears his prog influences on his sleeve.

Many years ago now in the aborted Blue Dragon LP thread I recall having a cool little talk with another poster about Uematu's music habits. They didn't really like how Uematus did "futuristic" or whatever you wanna call it. Said they all sounded the same, like FFVI's lab theme or whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSnKwn7dwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFtPxR60Zes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Watching VideoGames stream FFVII, I'm not sure which version he's playing, but the music just constantly stops for no reason. There was no Shinra Theme upon finding President Shinra dead, the world map music just doesn't play sometimes, and right now there is no haunting theme for when Cloud is talking to...himself(?) AT while sleeping at Junon. It's really weird and annoying

But I'm really enjoying seeing somebody play FFVII blind. I've never seen that before, it's such a famous game.

EDIT:

Apparently it was the PS5 version and this is a known bug.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 27, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm watching the VOD of VG go through original FFVII blind streamed from their PS5 on Twitch and we just go to That Scene. I was on the edge of my seat to see their reaction.

And then....

"Gameplay Recording paused because you entered a blocked scene."

What. The. gently caress.

I guess it must be the PS5 that blocked it somehow for some inconceivable reason. Notable that the recording picks up for Jenova DEATH and then continues as your party members say goodbye to her corpse and then also continues for the FMV of laying her corpse to rest in the water.

Everything about that weird interruption was stupid and awful. I can still hear his and his wife's voice but it's petty different to look at a loading screen instead of the FMV. That might be the highest point of the game, especially for viewers wanting to see a streamer's reaction, and some censor thing cut it out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I replayed FFX last year when I was 35 and I gotta say Auron, you might be some grizzled undead bushido master, but I'm still lookin' good.

I enjoy the 22-year-old Lulu giggling and calling Wakka and the others "Kids..." at Kilika Temple.

But also I couldn't help but smile at how endearing Tidus' and Yuna's awkward teenage flirting was during my last replay. Then I remembered when I first played FFX, I was younger than them.... It was less cute then.

Also no talk of FF ages is complete without mentioning General Celes the 18-year-old.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Certainly neither Yu Yevon (who is a personality-less Summon Machine at this point) and Jecht are evil. Seymour yes but I don't think he counts as the main villain. I think FFX is probably the only FF game where there's an "ensemble villain cast" or maybe a better way to put it is that the "villain" is more of an abstract idea or condition than any single individual.

Caius had the right idea about ho hosed everything in the universe was from the very ground up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ManSedan posted:

FFXII could’ve really benefitted from party banter like in DAI or similar. Have the characters yack about whatever area they’re in to fill in the Deep Lore, talk about their favorite foods, something.

To heck with DAI, DA2 combat dialogue would have been good. Every single thing your characters do in combat in DA2 has dialogue and there is unique dialogue for characters reacting to stuff happening to other party members. Banter would have been great too but FFXII is actually a lot like DAI in how dreadfully silent everyone is while you're fighting. The party barely interacts in cutscenes and interacts not at all in gameplay.

This is in such sharp contrast to both X and XIII. In X, there is so much friggin' dialogue dependent on story progress and party composition. A favorite example of mine is Wakka in Kilika will call Tidus a "newbie" during a cutscene and if you switch Tidus in while Wakka is in the party while going though Kilika Woods, Tidus will say "Newbie here!" to which a chagrinned Wakka responds with "...sorry." That's just one of countless examples.

And in XIII, Snow and Hope, Lightning and Hope, and Sazh and Vanille all have special dialogue for each other if they are in the current party. They have special dialogue for bosses during stuff like Paradigm Shifts too, like different things they wills shout to Bart.

In FFXII, you're just meandering about, a soulless group of nobodies, saying nothing, showing no signs of personality or life.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 30, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember years before I actually beat FFVI I asked on here who was the Blue Mage in FFVI, Strago or Gau, since they both sounded like BM. Having now beaten it, I think Gau was probably the most interesting thing about FFVI gameplay-wise.

Are there other characters with a similar gimmick in other JRPGs?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Which games have the worst blue mages/magic

X and X-2.

X-2's "sit and pray the enemy uses their unique move on you" was the dumbest poo poo ever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They're probably not the worst but apparently Quina isn't very good because of how magic works in FFIX or something. Somebody explained it to me once but because they have a low...Spirit stat (maybe?) they just don't hit a lot or do much damage or something.

All I know is that this criticism only applies to vanilla FFIX. In both mods I've played, Quina rules.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

in the FFIX Unleashed Mod, Quina gets some new stuff. True, Metra Magic and stuff like Lv4 Holy still never seem to work when I need them to, but s/he gets Pyro ("a weaker version of Flare") and Flare Star. She was absolutely vital in the Silver Dragon/Garland/Kuja gauntlet, Mighty Guarding when I needed it, and doing great damage when i didn't.

Also, when looking up just how Flare Star works, I learned that Kuja spamming it is in the base game. I thought it was something added by the mod. He just goes crazy and kills you if you get that far, at least in the mod. But goddammit, I couldn't steal the Light Robe before I guess he ran out of MP. Running out of MP allows him to use his best move, that makes sense.....

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best FFXIII game coming to Xbox Game Pass.

This is its 10th anniversary coming up so I guess that's why.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

While its translation is not great, I feel like I understand most things in FFVII just fine.

But I've never understood the Wall Market dress choices. "That feels clean" vs. 'that feels soft" and "that's shiny" vs. "that shimmers."

I don't know much about dresses but what would a clean, shiny dress be?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Feels clean would be like crisp linens, that feel when you put a fresh set of sheets on the bed.

Soft could be a lot of things, but in context something like cotton.

Shiny would be silk, shimmers would be sequins or some other reflective-looking material

Interesting shiny is silk because to get he Silk Dress you gotta pick "soft" and "shimmers." Apparently the other choices are Cotton and Satin.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I near the end of VG's stream of FFVII, I can't help but think about how Tifa comments that she and Cloud have nowhere to go and no one to see when the rest of the party leaves at the end of Disk 2. But Vincent also leaves and I'd think the 50-year-old lab experiment whose spent years in a coffin would have even less places to return to or people to see.

So where the heck did he go?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

God, there's so much that goes into determining how the Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth fights work, it's amazing. I don't think there's anything like it in any other FF, they are just the same final bosses no matter what. Certainly Ultimecia, Necron, BFA, The Undying, and Orphan are all the same.

Now, it's still totally easy, but the thought and effort is commendable. And in the New Threat mod (at least the version I beat years ago), he mandated you have two parties against Bizarro and man that was tricky. And I love in the base game you can have one, two, or even three parties depending on all sorts of variables. It rules.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

It's weird; I ended up having a hard time with the Undying even after beating Zodiark and Yiazmat. Like he'd just be zipping around one-shotting characters with his basic gun attacks. I couldn't keep buffs up because people were dying too fast. Probably had more trouble with that boss than other FF bosses I can think of.

It's been a long time since I played original XII but The Undying is a surprisingly tough fight, especially if you've just coasted through most of the game and barely paid attention as I did in my last run forever ago. He'll come out of nowhere and slap you out of your complacency.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Let’s also not forget Rufus is a huge rear end in a top hat. What with “Fear will keep the masses in line no need to waste money on them.”

...but next time we see him he's having a giant parade. A jolly parade meant to win over heart s and minds, not some Mordor/Imperial March poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyjypnxgdU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have played FFVII countless times and have only ever managed to get the reward above a Grenade. More often than not I just get the Grenade.

I don't know anybody who has actually perfected that dumb thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they'll keep the Tiny Bronco and Palmer will still get hit by a truck.

(I forget who made this but it's awesome)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can see them shifting Nibelheim up a bit, especially giving Vincent a more prominent role. I can also see them expanding on Corel a bit more for Barret backstory and forcing a more extended trip to Gongaga for more Zack action.

So much important stuff is totally optional and easily missable in FFVII. Vincent has a lot of important plot info you will only get from him but it's Gunaga that is really wild to me since you never have to go there at all. You wake up there after Temple of the Ancients but you can just leave and also by that time Aerith is gone anyway.

Pretty sure this 100% optional town is the only by name mention of Zack until the reveal in the Lifesteram on Disk 2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's kinda funny, with better graphics we can still keep things zany, but a trail of blood?! That goes too far!

Although I think all the blood in Shinra HQ is the most we see in FFVII....I can't recall for certain.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I suspect based off the history of JRPG remakes and FF7 EU and all that it's basically going to boil down to Zack is going to survive and Aerith is going to survive and they are going to get together and Cloud is going to get together with Tifa so all the romance subplots are neatly closed off and everyone lives happily ever after except Vincent. '

The EU stuff pushes Zack and Aerith hard and their Japanese voice actors are married so I fully expect the entire reason is so that they can have a happy ending instead of Crisis Core's tragedy ending

You've articulated my single greatest fear for the FFVIIR verse. (Kinda joking....)

ImpAtom posted:

I am not saying I am in favor of it but it absolutely feels like what you'd write if you were doing a FF7 remake where people had happier endings.

I guess he key question becomes are they going for happier endings? That post earlier about that speculated that saving Aerith will doom the world just made me think how a lot of folks predict FFVIIR will basically be the Rebuild of Final Fantasy VII. I only watched Rebuild 1 and 2 a long time ago but my memory is that saving Rei doomed the world there. Despite the heroic music at the end of Rebuild 2....

But I suppose we have no idea what direction it's all going and can only guess.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That would really annoy me since when Cloud asks Aerith if she and Zack were serious at the playground she says "No, but I liked him for a while."

Exactly. She's adamant to the end that she's moved on from Zack. Even after talking in Gungaga with her, she drops talking about Zack to ask if Cloud is jealous and flits with him.

It's important to remember Zack is just that dude who got owned by Sephiroth off-screen and killed by two Shinra mooks in FFVII. He's not pivotal to anybody's or character or the world. I mean, he's obviously important, but nowhere near as important as the EU made him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 11, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I also like Class challenges but I guess I just never saw the point in super strict rules, especially in early game. As you observed, you can't even be a Summoner until after Midgar. I have an FFVII run I wanna try to get back to whenever I finish Xenogears and I'm just gonna make Vincent my Summoner since he's last and by the time he joins yup you'll have....let's see, 6 summons?

But for early, early game, I figure why not just let Cloud cast Lightning. He's going to be my Paladin but I can't even really make my party how I want it so I'm okay with just doing whatever right now. Roles will be more strictly assigned after Midgar or at the very end of iMidgar.

Granted I'm also combining a self-imposed Class Challenge with a hard mod so there is that. Cloud doesn't hit as hard with simple physical attacks in this like he does in the base game. I dunno, challenges exist just to entertain me so meticulously planning everything out like you managed just isn't for me. More power to whatever entertains you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'd like to get your perspective on FFVII Class Challenge run stuff since I really did appreciate your Materia allotment suggestions and you did note there was no equivalent to Aero in VII, just Bird Wings to throw at an enemy.

What do you think of using attack items? Everybody in the base game can use anything from Grenades to those Bird Wing and beyond and I'm just curious if you think a class challenge run should restrict it.