Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mega64 posted:

FF1 Origins is probably the ideal remake of FF1 (at least until SoP comes out)

Bullshit

SoP's a prequel!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

He's probably heard it all before in one form or another, and the only people he would be evangelizing his counterpoints to are the people who are already volunteering to join him in storming Shinra HQ to rescue their friend from Dr Mengele and don't really need much convincing. You really want Barret to be spamming slogans at the drop of a hat just for the sake of it? Dude's regarding this monument to High Modernist hubris with quiet familiar disgust. At this point he's directly combating it by planning to put a dozen bullets in President Shinra at the first moment of convenience.

Yeah at that point he'd just be preaching to a choir that's already taking direct, violent action against shinra.

If they're not going to be convinced by shinra'd propaganda he doesn't need to waste breath debunking it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The worst part about silent protagonists being a stand-in for the player is that unless they're product of a create-a-character system they genuinely aren't a stand-in. They're just a character in a story who for some reason doesn't talk, which sucks when they're ostensibly the main character.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Use your imagination more? Can you not put yourself in shoes that aren't identical to your own.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Link is the textbook case for keeping silent protags silent but just about every well-told story that stars one does so in spite of that choice rather than because of it.

From personal experience I find it's a lot easier to put myself into the shoes of someone with a personality instead of existing as a conspicuous cipher.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol that part owned cait sith ftw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Front Mission 3 has some weirdly rng skills and abilities but it's still my favorite in the franchise for how ambitious it was. The in-game internet is some of the most engrossing world building and a cleverly budget-efficient way to handle out of combat interaction segments.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Unfortunately there is no cure for Leviabeetus but you can keep it at bay.

I'm not going to just let this go unremarked

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

You aren't missing much since 1.0 was better and there will never be a classic server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGRfmRaIx8

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm sure there's a great explanation here, but what is Rape Horizon? I didn't get very far into FF13

Probably talking about Azure Horizon, former LPer who got perma'd for being a date rapist

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh, I get it. wildass reference to make, I didn't know what the gently caress they were talking about lol

I guess them being obnoxious about videogames was just one more lovely thing about them that got overshadowed by the elephant in the room

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sephiroth Mario

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ngl that was a fun read even if I don't really resonate with GM's conclusions

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FFT is basically the diet coke of Tactics Ogre in a lot of ways, storywise.

And I say this with the knowledge that FFT is a GOAT

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, I have weird taste and very much enjoyed 2, 6 and both Tactics Advance games. I played the DS version of 4 and found it extremely hard and didn't really like FF1. If they could manage the time and effort to do another Remake on about a fifth the scale of 7, what's the game they'd want to take another crack at? I know people on here like 10 a lot but I don't know if SE has a real soft spot for like, 8 or 12 or something.

FF5 because it's the one that needs it the least and would be the most utterly bizarre pull but it could make for a neat FJF. And so someone feels tempted to make a mod that replaces the last boss with a giant cactuar.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I’ve heard that name but I don’t know what those games are

Souls by way of Ninja Gaiden

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bruh dragoon jumped into a hard 30

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As an aside, there's a pretty strong case to be made that Star Wars's entire ethos and pseudo-spirituality was taken from Hero With a Thousand Faces, not just the Campbellian version of the monomyth concept but all of the weird debunked anthropology, spirituality, and philosophy that Joseph Campbell shoved into that book. Not just inspired by, but outright taken 1-to-1, to the point where people mistake a lot of the stuff involving The Force for being inspired by eastern mysticism because almost nobody watching a Star Wars movie has forced themselves to read through Campbell's (again, largely debunked) ramblings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2iOB8ydGo

But this has not much to do with Final Fantasy so I'll leave it at that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

there's multiple valid answers

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

I accidentally wandered into the swamp and got Quinoa or whatever its name is anyway!

Gesundheit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

and mu Cloud ended up without a head somehow

This guy are definitely sick

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

P4G is a goat and you really can't go wrong with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh that's right it was mobile only, that explains a lot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Long Trombone Angel looking good.

It's art

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

True power level is measured in hair product and by golly 7 has a resounding lead

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't really have the energy to care about exclusives, much less be dramatic about them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just forget about a game on egs till it comes out on steam

I suspect I am not an outlier

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I had no idea Neo Twewy was getting a PC port till it came out on steam all of a sudden.

Then someone mentioned that it had actually had an EGS release a year ago and I thought, well then, that explains that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I didn't even know it existed thanks to that

Feels like they were going for the PUBG mobile audience lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still amused, to this day, that Tifa and Aerith were visually designed with each other's personalities in mind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm experiencing the path of Dave Rodgers: Deja Vu

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My favorite thing about the FFT WotL version is that there's a cutscene where Ramza throws his sword with uncanny accuracy.

In any other context it would just be a neat stunt but in a game where the Throw command is associated with the Ninja class, which is OP and infamously the one class most minmaxers will try to beeline their Ramza towards without a second's hesitation, it felt like a fun nod to the community.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am not nearly as attached to Aeris vs Aerith as I am to OG FFT's jankass l i t t l e m o n e y translation

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I honestly think FFT has less going on politically than, like, Suikoden II.

You say this like Suikoden 2 isn't also one of the jrpg goats.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Vagrant Story is interesting to play but 'what if Final Fantasy Tactics was Metal Gear Solid?' turned out to be a really good premise that they executed magnificently

It really was

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgrB-Em18Ns

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The question is, how's the story?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've gotten started with it Troubleshooter and while I'm disappointed the girl on the cover isn't actually the protag, it's a bona fide big SRPG with a *lot* of systems to mess around with. It just happens to replace FFT as a mechanical foundation for XCOM.

It's also very charmingly Korean. I look forward to having more time to dig into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

what do angels dream of?

dancing with fighter pilots