Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Professor Beetus posted:

Give me a Theaterythm port or give me death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, I'm fine with him being an occasional thing. It's like Gilgamesh, he's great, but I wouldn't want him in every game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, Amano Sabin is shirtless, so that is a point in his favour.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Offhand, I think the only ways to hit Earth weakness are one mid-level pole, one type of gun ammunition, and just summoning Hashmal yourself (who's gotten near the very end of the game). Non-elemental is pretty much your way to go.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like that Sabin is a MUSCLE MONK but he actually works best with magic. He's pretty much a fist wizard.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's more Vaan than Penelo though, admittedly. Penelo, much like Fran, doesn't have much of anything to do in the story after events stop focusing on her. Vaan remains relevant and plot important throughout though.

I think Penelo is only ever referred to by name in a voiced cutscene by three people: Vaan, Larsa and Miguelo. I don't think she and Ashe ever even say two words to each other.

But that's just how it is though, Fran has the same issues where she only ever talks to Balthier and to a very small degree Vaan and maybe one or two lines to Ashe? She and Basch might as well be strangers.

Vaan, Ashe and Balthier interact the most with people, Basch kinda pops in and out of relevance (but mostly fades after Leviathan) and then Penelo and Fran get a couple hours of relevance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

Every character gets like, one line of dialog per scene and all of hers are wasted on non-sequitor references to other final fantasy games.

Edit: Guess Im gonna replay this game, again

I think its my most played FF behind V and XIII

I think the game I've sunk the most play hours in has been XII, but that's also because it has a really long run time.

Most replays would probably be any of VII/VIII/IX.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The FFXII guidebook was actually pretty good and I referred to it a lot. Sadly mine is kinda falling apart now, but considering the sheer volume of Hunts and optional content in that game, it did a really good job of summarizing nearly everything important.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Shinra already had the Highwind, so I guess them going after the Tiny Bronco is also a bit of ???.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
VII's world kinda breaks down if you even scrutinize it a little, yeah. Like how Icicle Inn is a popular holiday destination in the middle of absolutely nowhere with no easy access.

I think from VIII onwards they put a bit more effort into worldbuilding that holds up a little better, though IX still has some weird bits and I could not tell you how XIII's locales are connected or function.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Electromax posted:

FF7 and 8 both presumably have many towns that don't appear on the map. Crisis Core had a Mideel-sister city for example, Banora iirc?

VIII's world is pretty laid out from what I remember. Trabia/Shumi is the only real isolated but populated region where you think there must be more out there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why does Cid even own the Tiny Bronco rather than Shinra, did they give it to him for 10 years of dedicated service or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope FF7R gives us a few 'easy' boss fights like in the original. I wasn't expecting to have to fight for my life on Air Buster or Hell House.

Not every boss fight needs to be a production.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

They already specifically went out of their way to say that they are still intending to hit most of the major events right after FF7R released. Especially considering they were clearly worried about backlash after the first one they'll probably skew pretty close for as long as possible. I really doubt we'll see any significant deviations until Aerith's death TBH.

I can see them shifting Nibelheim up a bit, especially giving Vincent a more prominent role. I can also see them expanding on Corel a bit more for Barret backstory and forcing a more extended trip to Gongaga for more Zack action.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Crisis Core is really what did most of it. It took the little of Zack that we got from FF7 and bloomed it into a pretty solid protag. It also helped that CC was one of the few bits of the EU that wasn't kind of a slog.

I mean aside from Genesis, but he's really not why you play the game, anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

Cloud's date with Barret.

The sailor suit stays on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't unfortunately, I mostly play it on Switch.

It's also unfortunate I can only really come up with six classes since there's seven permanent party members.

Could always make a Geomancer, and split off some of the spells from Black Mage to give to them (Quake, Aero, Bio), and some assorted Technical Materia.

You could also look at FFXII License Boards to see if you can get some inspiration. Not all of them will fit since some are pretty weapon-heavy, but I imagine there are some that work with the Materia system.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man FFVII is so wild sometimes. It's like XII levels of jank when it comes to element distribution at times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FF7 was I think the last game where they didn't really put a lot of thought into making the world connected. From FF8 onwards they started thinking about linking city hubs with transportation routes.

That said, the Gold Saucer's location isn't really that far fetched. There are a lot of places on Earth where you have big, opulent, tourist attractions while surrounded by poverty, like the Taj Mahal.

The Mythril Mines are probably one of the few places that don't make sense (the other being the Icicle Inn). If you think of the Mako Reactors as 'safe' spots, then you have:

Midgar > Fort Condor > Junon > Corel > Gongaga > Nibelheim (and then Rocket Town, which doesn't have a reactor but is the extent of Shinra's influence)

Midgar to Fort Condor is the longest stretch, once you sail to Costa del Sol there's actually lots of pit stops, including Cosmo Canyon. It's also probably why a lot of people stick around in Midgar especially after they've made the journey; it's too much of a hassle to go anywhere else other than Kalm.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 19, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like VIIR probably has one of the steeper learning curves in a FF game? Quite a few combat mechanics are easily missed even if they give you a tutorial, and even then it's a very involved game.

Even in games like XII/XIII/XV your NPC buddies will usually be able to handle things eventually, but in VIIR you do have to take reins and swap often.

Which is fine, but it's probably not a 'I just want to shut my brain off and play some mash-y video games' option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I bounced off VIIR because even though some parts of it was fun (and I appreciate that it was a JRPG you could finish the meat of in <60 hours), a lot of it didn't quite click for me. It's a bit like a Tales game but you can't just main someone forever.

Also I'm bad at Tales.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also worth noting that gun damage is completely independent of character stats, so they can be thrown onto a mage or something with little penalty, but it also means they hit their ceiling by midgame and won't improve aside from getting better guns/ammo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

FF thread is the same thread that produced that legendary poster that got really loving mad that Zidane had a tail like Goku

Or that one person that literally thought Tidus still super hated jecht at the end

The one thing I don't like that they did with Zidane is they basically shrank him for Dissidia onwards. He's supposed to be like the same height as Squall and other protags, but they just made him basically a head shorter for... reasons?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Skeezy posted:

Playing through XIII again and I’ve gotten past where I left off when it came out (Ch. 5). Now I’m on chapter 7 with Snow/Hope and honestly this poo poo kinda sucks. The combat rules with the right parings but honestly those two suck together. Not big on Fang/Lightning either but whatever.

Snow/Hope is a pretty terrible duo because they're both defensive in nature; Snow's a Sentinel and Hope's a defensive Synergist, so you're never really in danger of dying but it takes forever to kill things, and in a game which rewards you based on speed that's not fun. It's the opposite of Sazh/Vanille where you have lots of offensive buffs and debuffs but if Vanille isn't healing enough to overcome it you croak.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lightning/Fang still had its issues, Fang's SAB role really doesn't help you kill things faster in that chapter and yeah, only one RAV means slower stagger.

Lightning/Hope and Sazh/Vanille were probably the best duos, which is why it's unsurprising people usually go with Lightning/Hope/Fang or Snow/Vanille/Sazh teams for endgame.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Momomo posted:

I used Sazh/Vanille/Snow since Sazh had offensive buffs and Vanille has defensive debuffs. Snow was there mostly because he was a Sentinel that has easy access to Ravager and Commando. Vanille's healing was just enough to get through the main story, though I never really did stuff past that.

Vanille actually has offensive debuffs (Imperil, etc.). Fang is the defensive SAB (Slowga, etc.).

And yeah, Snow/Sazh/Vanille are solid to begin with because of Sazh's early access to Haste and you have two offensive supports. You could probably replace Snow with Fang and do fine, but Snow's a much easier RAV to get started with and he also has the fastest spell animations if you gear him so he prioritizes spells instead of -strikes.

Lightning/Hope/Fang are I think the optimal party for endgame because of their potential, but Snow/Sazh/Vanille are perfectly good for doing the bulk of content.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a lot of cool mechanics and party compositions in XIII (when it lets you), but Bart is kind of a pain regardless.

It's also a shame that Eidolons are basically reduced to a life shield/niche gimmick when there's a lot of neat design put into them. It's like after FFX they kept going with the 'summons as party member' mechanic but failed to make them actually good as a sustained option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

They don't tell you his mom's name in the original game or Crisis Core, apparently it only gets mentioned in FF7R.

The scene with his mom is kind of sad too, replaying it. When his mom goes "Oh is that a SOLDIER uniform?" and Cloud starts to say "Mom, I" right before it cuts off, since we know Cloud came back in a regular Shinra grunt uniform it's obvious that she didn't know Cloud failed to get into SOLDIER and he's just now having to tell her, though he's being prevented from remembering. Also how even she seems to think Cloud is kind of a fuckup who can't take care of himself which is why she's like "I think you need an older woman who will take care of you."

That last line has always either been a meta-tease (since Tifa is one year younger than Cloud and Aerith one year older), or just some weird way of her figuring out Tifa's crush on Cloud and quietly disapproving.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Failboattootoot posted:

Oh my god what is this star levelling nonsense I will never be done with this game.

That's a good thing. Plus we'll have DLC tracks for a while so the game having some serious longevity is good. I spent so much time on the previous two games.

I probably will only be getting the TWEWY pack but this is probably gonna be one of the games I sink the most time into on the Switch, I imagine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Started with XV and already ran into problems because I don't do enough damage to kill Deadeye. Guess I'll... grind?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

I realize people haven't had time to figure out the meta yet, but it certainly seems that a variety of party members is necessary for some levels whereas Curtain Call you had a "perfect" party of who had the highest STR in your party which for me was Cloud, Paine, Auron and... someone else I can't remember, same for FMS.

This at least has different scenarios / weaknesses to mix up the parties a bit.

Yeah, the Titan stage in the XIV series is tough because it halves physical damage, so it encourages you to bring the XIV squad which is meant to be a Wind magic synergy squad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also it feels like defense characters aren't that needed if you've got some decent rhythm? Gladio why would I cut 100 ATK from you to halve damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard2 posted:

Does it have Battle Theme 1.x from XIV?

Doesn't seem like it, it follows a rough progression and the first tracks were the Thanalan/La Noscea/Shroud themes then moved to the battle themes, then the Primal themes, Ultima Weapon and then it moves into Heavensward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFXIV having 32 tracks is great but also suffering, this series is taking forever.

Bruceski posted:

Try the demo first, I haven't had any issues but a friend said they found it unplayable on Switch. Might depend on docked vs undocked (I play undocked, I have connection issues with one of my joycons that can be an issue on fast-input games but doesn't show up when it's clicked into the system) or something bizarre.

I play it fine handheld on Switch, but I'm not at the turbo 'must get All Critical on everything' yet. There's definitely a small but noticeable loading time if you want to reset the track though which might be where I'm going to feel it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Friendly reminder that diagonals are literally a lie in this game and you can swipe the cardinal directions and they'll still count.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually kinda interesting that you can't just stack speed onto a FMS team now since you actually have to engage enemies in them.

Still been having fun with the game, been unlocking them in order of XV > XIV > VIII > IX. Probably will go for FFRK next and then... I dunno, probably FFVII or FFX.

Still wish they had more characters I wanted even if I like the general roster. I want Sabin or (wishful thinking but) Nyx.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I know if you are actually good at the game healer are less needed but:

Y'shtola - Has a shitload of passive healing between Regen, Paeon, & her unique skill Aetherial Pulse. Also gets a large variety of status cleanses.
Lenna - Gets Arise as a unique skill, which revives you back to 70% HP if you die.
Vanille - Gets Boon of Oerba as a unique, which is 100% heal when you fall to 10%.

Ignis's Regroup also heals 50% of hp when you fall below 15%, but also reduces damage taken so in some cases it might be better than a full heal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Allarion posted:

I was wondering if Esuna existed in the game just cause I was getting the feeling all the status effects were effectively slowing down my dmg parties so good to know Sarah is worth raising.

Ciaran seems like a pretty solid physical buffer. And both Gilgamesh and Sephiroth seem pretty strong.

Bartz can also self buff himself twice with his skill so he’s pretty solid too, both for regular battles and FMS.

A few characters have auto-cleanses for specific statuses (like Blindna and Stona), but I don't know if they cover everything; I haven't seen anything that reverses Mini or Toad yet. Sarah's probably worth considering just for the blanket cleanse.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
14 already has a ton of songs so I can understand why some were left out, especially since they're going through the base game and three expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Luckily it is in the game :) but yeah you have to get the DX version. I also think all the DX vocal songs are the JP versions, so you won’t be able to sing along to real emotion

Real fans sing along to real emotion anyway.