Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

limp bizkit rocks

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Came here to post this. It's agonizing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK it's 9:30am CST on Nov 10th and I still cannot install FF5 what the gently caress

I thought this poo poo came out at midnight

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Thanks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well that was fast

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
FF5 is my first pixel remaster and I love it. All this super streamlined gameplay is how all these old RPGs should have been in the first place.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah there really is no wrong way to play this game. You can switch jobs at any time so as long as you don't sell all your gear and always buy all available spells and summons you should always have the basics for what you need.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I haven't played FF5 in like 10 years or so and it was the PS1 version and holy moly I forgot how annoying some of these dungeons are. I always get lost in the steam ship and I'm shocked I got through the library so fast. 2 back to back annoying maze dungeons sucked.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

the fire ship was pretty hard…when I was five! get owned nerd lolololololololololol

:xd:

The good news is that I spent enough time in there that all my dudes were level 16 when I got to the library.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm not bothering with all the cheevos either. It makes the game way less fun.

Is there a recommended job level in FF5 where you should switch jobs? Like other than when it's obvious you need a certain party for a certain boss or dungeon?

I've only played FF5 once before a long time ago and never finished it and I really don't remember trying to break the job system over my knee.

And also what are the absolute must have skills for a non 4JF playthrough?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 13, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Why would they have different animations?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So after hearing about 4JF for years I finally looked it up today and that sounds like it's only for hardcores who have beaten the game a zillion times. I can't imagine beating half the bosses without a ton of grinding for the best abilities and god help you if you get blue mage and have to spend tons of time trying to get all the best abilities.

How is this a thing people enjoy?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That does sound like an interesting challenge/puzzle but I just can't see myself spending all that time, especially if I rolled some really grindy jobs.

I'm having a hard enough time with a casual playthrough right now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lady Radia posted:

Is there a preferred way to play FFT that avoids some of its warts? Is just War of the Lions solid enough?

Definitely play WotL and my advice is to get everyone to Ninja ASAP and then breeze through most fights until the endgame. You'll also want to look up all the Wiegraf fights especially That One and have a solid plan/build for them.

Don't grind too much. Just get Ninjas and then crush everything and be prepared for the worst lovely boss fights.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chillgamesh posted:

FFT isn't hard, warty, or grindy at all. You can easily beat the game just by playing through the story normally. Just keep a balanced party with tanky dudes like Knights and Lancers, healers like Chemists and White Mages, ranged attackers like Archers and Black Mages, and support units like Time Mages and Mystics. The only One Weird Trick / bad game design thing you need to know is to get all your dudes Gained JP Up from Squire

This isn't true at all. There are multiple boss fights that are set up intentionally to make you have to use specific abilities from specific jobs to make them beatable or at least way less painful and there is at least one boss fight where the difference between auto losing on turn 1 and winning is in how you deploy your units. There's also That Wiegraf Fight that, unless you're prepared for it, can be incredibly difficult. You can't just waltz in with a balanced party of jobs and expect to win that.

The game overall isn't incredibly hard but there is no gradually increasing difficulty curve. There are parts of the game where you'll breeze through 6 fights and then hit a huge wall where you have to stop and think about how to approach that fight and which jobs and abilities you need to get/use.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other game has ff2's gently caress-you dungeon design.

Dragon Quest 2

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chillgamesh posted:

I can't think of a single fight in the game that requires more than keeping your bases covered. Even the two cases where Ramza is stuck alone just boil down to "Have a way to do spike damage, spike healing, or sandbag", which you are going to have a way to do, even if you literally left him in Squire the entire game for some reason.

There are a couple boss encounters that are hard but they're easily overcome if you just look at what's happening and think about how to counter it? Like the Chapter 2 Endboss might gently caress you with Nightmare so then you just go in again keeping your dudes spread out or equip them with Sleep immunity accessories. The actual bullshit fight is the Ch3 End encounter but I hardly think one badly designed encounter justifies calling the game warty and grindy lol

LOL aside from your very first sentence you are agreeing with me

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Octopath is probably the most modern example of this if you wanna beat the final boss. The xp gets increasingly worse as you get higher and the battles really aren't quick either. Unless you get lucky with Bewildering Grace.

You don't actually have to grind to beat the super boss in Octopath. It's all about the job/gear/skill setups. The first time I beat it I didn't know about any of that stuff and did a ton of level grinding but after watching a speedrun of it I learned that levels don't really matter much. You can start a new game of Octopath and beat the super boss in 4 hours and the only place you need to do any grinding at all is near the beginning of the game and it's only for a couple levels.

And yeah "grindy" doesn't mean "ugh I have to do a couple extra fights in this one area" it means "in order to beat Dragon Quest 1 and 2 I must be at a minimum level or I literally cannot beat the final boss".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Octopath had the brilliant idea to have a final level that is every bit as bad as the early version of FF3, in that you have to fight ten tough bosses with no saving whatsoever,

It's not really the final level since it's optional but yeah it really sucks if you keep losing to the super boss. Not because the boss gauntlet is hard but because it takes time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

FF12 is not a very good game, but its not the worst Final Fantasy, which we all agree is Final Fantasy Tactics, which itself, is better than Baldur's Gate.

:toughguy:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can't.

Breaks Fiesta rules.

Wait what?

You can't cast Float for fiesta runs?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I also don't have dualcast in World 2.

Cause its 999 abp and after farming objet de arts for 2h I'm still 500 abp away.

Is this considered the best way to farm abp?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

That or those rock squirrels

Where are those?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Objets d'art are way better than anything else if you have L5 Death. Movers are literally at the end of the game, and you can't do the quick save exploit from the GBA version.

I have yet to use a blue mage so I'm just using poo poo tons of Gold Needles. Not as fast but it's working fine. There's no way I have the patience to get any of the kobs to 999 abo though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so I'm at ExDeath 1 in FF5 and I'm getting crushed. This is where I gave up 10 years ago when I played it for the first time on PS1. It's also why I did a little level and abp grinding before I went to his castle in this playthrough. All my nerds are level 34/35.

I got Carbuncle. I have every spell and every other summon that I'm aware of. What the gently caress am I supposed to do about AoE zombie spam? I don't have any ribbons or status resist gear.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I knew about Float and cast Carbuncle. I have no idea why I didn't think to try Slow :doh:

That should probably help a lot. Is there a way to cast Protect on the whole party? Mashing right doesn't work! Or is that a separate spell?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

You can also use Beastmasters to capture Yellow Dragons. Each one you release will do 25% of his total HP in damage.

Holy gently caress. This game is insane.

Edit:. Slow won't proc on him :(

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 21, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

There is something magical about this post/avatar combo.

What

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

The character in your avatar is basically a beastmaster in Octopath.

Capture and summon sucks in Octopath except for one rare monster that's insanely hard to capture and is really only useful on the optional super boss

Anyway ExDeath keeps destroying me. If I cast Carbuncle then he attacks twice for over 1k and then dispels people at random. If I don't cast Carbuncle he wrecks me with 2 spells per turn, gravity, row switch, etc. If I just try to Curaga every turn I can't keep up with the damage if he hits someone twice.

I thought someone said Slow works and it always misses. Am I doing something wrong?

gently caress this I'm going multi Samurai and throwing gil

Edit 15: gil toss worked. What a piece of poo poo

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 21, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

I dont know if this still works in PR but I pretty much always used Reflect Rings from Barrier Tower to beat Exdeath

This is confusing. In order to get these you have to steal but according to this thread thief sucks so I only got one person to find passages and then never used it again.

Blerg

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm already well into world 3 at the pyramid but I appreciate all the knowledge

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ in a chicken basket this world 3 pyramid dungeon in FF5 is one of the most miserable dungeons ever. Every single random encounter feels like a boss fight

There are a million floors and they're all mazes and puzzles and stupid poo poo

Just let me get the McGuffin and leave

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

Just !Flee constantly with a Thief, hope you picked the Chicken Knife!

I used smoke to run from as many fights as I could.

All the monster chests just made things worse though.

I just got out thankfully and I think I looted every chest so there's that.

And no I picked Brave Blade.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

You must be new here.

This is only my second playthrough of FF5. The first one was 10 years ago and I never got past the first ExDeath fight. Please explain the Chicken Knife shenanigans everyone keeps talking about.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just wrapped up the FFVII Switch port, and man, one thing I wish they would have sprung for is a reorchestrated score. The MIDI stuff is fine, I guess, and obviously keeps true to the original game, but they've already done a bunch of awesome orchestrated versions of FFVII music, and a fully orchestrated score would have kicked so much rear end. That was one part of the FFXII remaster that really slammed.

Also, whoever pushed to get the 3x time skip added as a feature on all these ports/remasters deserves a freaking medal. I have no doubt there were people on the design team who fought against it, but it's such a massive quality of life increase, especially in the earlier games where the animation and pacing is much more plodding and methodical. I haven't used any of the "cheatier" functions like invincibility or whatever else is in there, but loving hell, the difference between taking 10 seconds and 30 seconds between battles while grinding adds up immensely. Like a chocobo race takes about 15 seconds, I was able to go from zero to golden chocobo over the course of an afternoon.

A speed up button and all the streamlining features of the pixel remasters should be mandatory for every RPG from now til the end of time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Holy god dam the minotaur in the Fork Tower is so unfair. I managed to beat him on the first try but only because I had Faris as a Samurai with an Elven Mantle equipped and he kept missing or hitting the mantle. Bartz, as a Ninja, with an Elven Mantle, got turned into pudding almost instantly. Minotaur still hit Faris twice and it came down to the wire but jesus god dam gently caress some of these bosses are so dumb. Omniscent, on the other hand, was completely free to Carbuncle and died to his own spells lmao.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I love the idea of blue magic as a concept but the yeah it's also a tedious slog to figure out what the best abilities are and where to find and THEN find out that some enemies need to be manipulated to do the good ability on the blue mage and just never sounds like the effort is worth it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

I don’t like that fan art of Faris is always very feminine

WTF

She's a woman

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Faris' whole thing was that she was so pretty that even cross-dressing as a man her general appearance would be what we consider in modern times to be an androgynous bishie guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Short haired blonde Terra is pretty cool actually

I like green haired Terra more though because she’s supposed to be hosed up and weird and alien because she is hosed, weird, and alien

FF6 WHEN

Yeah her hair color is supposed to be a hint to the player that she's not quite fully human. Every other main cast member has hair that is a natural color for humans.