Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Beat Voice of Cards. It’s pretty Yoko Taro. Near enough, maybe not worth $40. Could definitely see this being another series added to Square Enix’s stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFTA2 is the best game ever made, so

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Countblanc posted:

where the H*CK is Final Fantasy Tactics A3 for the Nintendo Switch and Steam platforms

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Samurai’s real power is being rich and throwing money around, just like real life samurai

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

While you're all arguing about swords and poo poo I'm over here taking a lot of drugs and making out with a tree.

Try bragging again when you have a splinter in your lips

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

EightFlyingCars posted:

that's the body part you're worried about?????

Didn’t say which lips

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lady Radia posted:

wh...h...huh?
most people agree..that the aesthetics are better right now????

????????????????????????????????????

This thread would disagree

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

some people in this thread would let's not pretend this is a universal opinion here

I can’t claim to have a particular opinion one way or another about the aesthetics of the PR remakes I just know that the most communicated opinion about them in this thread is “I don’t like it”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who the gently caress would to play the bonus content of 2 in this day and age?

Putting Ultima on Minwu is just a joy. It turns him from an amazing healer into just a nuke

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFTA2 is a really dang good game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jokes posted:

I am incredibly upset that goblin punch doesn’t work with excalipoor anymore

This just womps

Boo! Boooooo!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Exdeath would happily call himself evil and say that it gives him more power than you puny weaklings

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you level Red Mage enough in Dimensions you get Spellblade, so that’s pretty neat

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gologle posted:

He played the critically acclaimed award winning MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV.

Do MMOs exist in FFVII’s world. Do you think Shinra develops them?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This thread is acting like you all don’t have Jackanapes wandering your basements. Who protects your ancestral treasures if you don’t have Jackanapes?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I put up a sign at work

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFII is as equally seminal to the franchise as FF1, it introduced a hell of a lot of iconic Final Fantasy elements, like dragoons, ultima, behemoths, and chocobos

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

bowmore posted:

Anything I need to know before starting FF3 on the DS?

I like it a lot but others don’t. Job levels are kind of important but don’t let that stop you from switching to new jobs. Don’t go into a fight if you have any party members with crystal sickness. Save often

Scholar is the mid game mvp because it does extra damage with attack items.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you read this? Do you know if it's any good? I love academia engaging with my pop and showing the layers to it but of course it's sometimes just a lot of hot air.

I'm by no means an academic of any kind but this was my Nietzschean reading of FFX that I'm proud of. At the very least, the books/articles I quote are worth reading.

The store I work at sells it, it’s part of a series of “the philosophy of (insert pop fiction here)” books. They don’t seem very good tbh

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Olivia is obviously dead. Ovelia, on the other hand, is left in a vague state

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rythian posted:

Yeah I ignore Word of God all the time, often makes for better stories.

I also ignore the idea that the world of FFXII becomes the world of Tactics because that is far too depressing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tall Tale Teller posted:

If she's the child of a Cid her name should be Mid.

TAI

Sometimes Mid’s the dad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Mid is always the grandson, so that would be the name of Cindy's son.

e: Also Ceodore is named after both Cecil and Golbez (whose real name is Theodore).

In FFXIV Mid is Cid’s dad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onean posted:

It also had a rapist among it's staff. I believe he's gone, though?

I still only go in there rarely to see if anything's changed for a Job I play since it's usually the quickest updated with the most accurate text guides, and never look at any of the discussion.

Iirc one of the mods was the woman who was raped, and when she was very obviously in crises she was kicked out because she was “being too mean to [her rapist]”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fister Roboto posted:

Hot take: Zenos is the Gilgamesh of FF14.

Isn’t Gilgamesh the Gilgamesh of FFXIV

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Cait Sith is a Mascot, from X-2

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jokes posted:

I thought cait sith was itself a puppet of one of the Turks

He’s a puppet controlled by Reeves, the only high ranking member of Shinra that isn’t a psychopath

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Maybe Cait Sith is the real being and Reeve is the robot controlled by Cait Sith.

“We hired this cat monster but all it wants to do is design living spaces for our mega city”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 6 is the perfect valentine's day gift

For Valentines Day I showed my crush the perfectly preserved corpse of my ex girlfriend I keep in the basement

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s also a spell you can get that buffs your chances of getting a limit break, Aura. End game FFVIII combat is just spamming the ever loving crap out of lbs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Final Fantasy Megathread: Doing It My Way (By Killing Chaos)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Calaveron posted:

I'm so glad I've missed so much about this game because I'm champing at the bit to play it already even know I don't actually know how the game plays

It plays like if Nioh was a Final Fantasy game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I wouldn’t recommend Yak 7 for its battle system, that’s for sure. It’s just too basic

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

The worst part about silent protagonists being a stand-in for the player is that unless they're product of a create-a-character system they genuinely aren't a stand-in. They're just a character in a story who for some reason doesn't talk, which sucks when they're ostensibly the main character.

Most of Pokémon disagrees with this

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the ~*~One Weird Trick~*~ is that there has to be gameplay from the game the music came from. That's how people have been getting away with uploading FFXIV music for years.

They seem to have changed the rules recently, a lot of videos with music from the most recent expansion got taken down, especially the bigger accounts that had regularly done that sort of thing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every 2D final fantasy is very broken... every 3D final fantasy too

I prefer the more balanced 1D Final Fantasy games

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Evil Fluffy posted:

"As far as I know, 4th edition was the first set of rules to look to videogames for inspiration. I wasn’t involved in the initial design meetings for the game, but I believe that MMOs played a role in how the game was shaped. I think there was a feeling that D&D needed to move into the MMO space as quickly as possible and that creating a set of MMO-conversion friendly rules would help hasten that." - Mike Mearls

I'll take Mike's word that MMOs were a factor, sorry random goon.

Mike Mearls isn’t the most reliable source, unfortunately

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

So D&D could be considered a FF ripoff?

Not unless it started using iconic FF elements like jumping dragon knights and wizards with pointy yellow hats that obscure their face who use elemental magic

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

WrightOfWay posted:

D&D 4E probably took some inspiration from video games but the roles come more from the iconic D&D party of Fighter, Cleric, Thief and Wizard than MMOs in particular. Of course, that same iconic party is the likely origin of the Holy Trinity that many, many video games would follow and iterate on so it's all pretty connected. Hell, those are most of the FF1 jobs, bringing it back around to being topical to this thread.

My understanding is that the holy mmo trinity is more directly inspired by MUDs, where it was actually a quad of tank, healer, defensive buffer, and mezzer that got refined over time. Now, that can be inspired by D&D, but the line is longer and more wobbly than some might think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read the first volume of Final Fantasy Lost Stranger and Naoki Yoshida is one of its supervisors. The guy’s involved with so much