Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If I had to pick the best battle system it would still be FF7R. They did such a good job of modernizing the ATB system without making it an action rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Does anyone know if the version of FF7 that you can play on Xbox uses the original localization or a different one? And if it’s different how different from the original ps1 localization?

I'm pretty sure there's only ever been one translation of FF7 and it's the this guy are sick one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played a lot of FFXII on PS2 and wished for a remaster for the entire PS3 gen.

You're welcome

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ManSedan posted:

I just wish Ashe didn’t have those awful pants.

What pants

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FF7R is good if you want a combat system where you have to manage all your party members simultaneously so they work in synergy.

FFXII is mostly about casual exploration rather than intensive combat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lastdancer posted:

I started playing The First Soldier this week. I am terrible at the combat. Thankfully, there is another layer of fun to the game-- looting chests and fighting wild monsters-- that is very much satisfying in between getting the poo poo kicked out of me by Devil May Cry's Dante

Is it a separate mode or how does that work

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Feels clean would be like crisp linens, that feel when you put a fresh set of sheets on the bed.

Soft could be a lot of things, but in context something like cotton.

Shiny would be silk, shimmers would be sequins or some other reflective-looking material

Am I in the Ace Combat thread

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I love that the Samurai class is basically the protagonist from Nioh.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sentinel coupled with Ravagers is a good combo but it absolutely does not work if you are stuck with 2 man parties and no Commando for mopping up staggered enemies

As for FFXII, if I started a replay of that game, I would probably put everyone on auto attack and use all other commands manually like mmorpgs of that era.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 24, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I mean, unless you can walk into a store and buy a PS5 at a suggested retail price, this delay has no consequence whatsoever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think it was funny how the omnipotent demigod Ramza seemingly survives the whole thing but the one guy who tried to uncover the conspiracy gets burned as a heretic.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Thats just Yakuza 8 with poorly photoshopped FF logo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Square still sells toys for Front Mission.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I still have a translated FM5 ISO handy that I haven't played yet :(

Its really good and impressive for a PS2 game. The story's meh but that has always been the problem for the series.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Square still sells toys for Front Mission.

This goddamn post.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm super excited for Nioh 3

Nioh 2 felt little too familiar but Stranger Of Paradise hopefully recaptures that same feel Nioh 1 had but with a more FF oriented gameplay.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Noper Q posted:

I had this thought earlier, and I need to get it out of my head, so I'm putting it here:

Dark Souls is the autoerotic asphyxiation of videogames.

Stranger of Paradise is a solid 7/10 guy who just wants to do it missionary style, and you'd be having a good time if he'd stop trying to awkwardly fondle your neck.

Im in this post and I don't like it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

How is the general performance on PS4 compared to Nioh 1 and 2? Those games ran at solid framerate and load times were really short.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ventana posted:

FF13 had an easy mode but it wasn't in the first versions released. It was added in the international re-release version in Japan, and then it was a default option you can choose in the PC release. And yeah 13-2 and LR had them from the get-go.

Also I didn't think people considered FF7R brutal? Is this only for the hard mode? Cause while there are some tricky moments, nothing really struck me as really brutal in the normal game.

I think the consensus is that random battles are very easy but the bosses can be tough especially while you are still learning how everything works.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Platinum's best game was when Hideo Kojima told them to make a game with “A Raiden that moves at 60FPS, that controls well and looks good"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

This a PS5 exclusive right?

I have hard time getting excited because it's on a console that is impossible to get.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The opening of Kingsglaive gives a very concise explanation of the setting that is completely absent from the game itself.

Square does not make good decisions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Grimthwacker posted:

So the real takeaway of Crisis Core remastered is: "GACKT IS BACK?!?!"

Gackt is backt

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

SoP absolutely nailed everything but the janky rear end models with a bajillion polygons or whatever per strand of hair.

I dont understand what went wrong with this because Nioh and 2 were amazing even on base consoles. 60 fps, short load times and it's not like they were bad looking games because art style did a lot of the heavy lifting

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I seem to remember the versions of XII with a job system remove immunity from the stat break techniques from ALL enemies. So given enough time, you can completely neuter the stats of even the scariest bosses and marks. I'd think that would be the real appeal of Foebreaker (although I don't think you can even get most of the stat break technicks until very late in the game).

This is true although other jobs do get access to breaks but not all of them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Agreed, it doesn't make narrative sense that she isn't super ripped.

Counterpoint I like that a character doesn't need to be super ripped and muscular to be considered strong and capable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Paradigm system just feels so flavorless and lame when you compare it to the garment grid.

It also has none of the utility of the Gambit system, because half the roles won't attack when they run out of poo poo to do like buffing. There should have been an auto-attack at the end of the queue.

This would be pointless because you can switch paradigms at any point in battle.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I tried downloading FFX for my emulator and ended up with a weird debug version instead of the retail release.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

With that you can just make a weapon that's better than the ultimates.

I haven't played FFX in ages but I recall that celestial weapons ignore enemy defence which is why they are so good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is funny because there are interviews with the actual writers of the game where they explicitly say they wanted to go even farther and weirder with it and Nomura was the one trying to wrangle them back to something more faithful

Cloud, Tifa and Barrett are excecuted for their crimes while Nikola and Bart plays on the background.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I bought Stranger of Paradise recently because I played a lot of Nioh 1 and 2.

- The loot system is even worse than it was in Nioh. In Nioh you only had to equip one dude. In this game you have 2 others you have to manage and the optimize equipment option overrides equips for all your party members and jobs, so it's hard to care about equipping anything manually.

- The performance is rear end on PS4. The performance mode looks terrible because of the low resolution but turning HDR off made it a little better. It's still much worse than Nioh.

- Armor sets look pretty terrible so far.

I wish I had a PS5.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Stranger of Paradise is really fun when you finally have a system that can run it at a decent frame rate.

Job changing mid combo is very similar to extending your combos in Nioh by switching stances.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Beaides the general setting one of the things that make Type-0 stand out are the magic spells. Fire will burn enemies alive and Ice will shatter them to pieces which is more graphic than most FF games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I've beaten the four fiends in Stranger of Paradise and the game's a mess compared to Nioh but I want to keep going because I can't help but to like Jack.

(I have no idea what's going on with the story but the moment he realizes he no longer has the HUNGER to kill Chaos he sounds so confused

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just beat Stranger of Paradise.

Holy poo poo this game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Does the 3rd Yoko Taro card game have any QoL stuff compared to the first two?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mega64 posted:

The more people you have, the more spots they start in the sphere grid, and the easier it is for everyone to share each others' skills and teleport to the parts of the sphere grid where they'd be most effective. Yuna was meta-gaming the entire time, because why else would she bring Lulu if not to take advantage of Lulu's magic growths and Black Magic?

I knew Yuna wanted Tidus along only for the Quick Hit

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Why is Sazh's name not Jazz or Afro?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I had forgotten Vayne's throwaway line that the Archadian Empire is not a hereditary autocracy but rather their leaders are freely elected. Now he's a bad guy and a liar but as I look at the senator stroking his beard, I'm honestly curious just what kind of government they do have and what it might be modeled on. There's a senate but there's also House Solidor but I don't recall any other Noble Houses being mentioned. I was gonna say maybe if Vayne hadn't murdered everyone a new leader from a different house would be elected but then I remembered all anyone talks about as the Emperor's successor is either Vayne or Larsa so clearly House Soldior does wield supreme power and no other Noble houses can be voted in. Unless that's what Ghis was talking about before he blew himself up.

FFXII's politics are the best thing about FFXII but they'er stil kinda half-baked.

This is from ingame encyclopedia

The mightiest sovereign state in Valendia. Originally a republic governed by an active senate, the rise of the military brought about the shift to an imperial system 200 years ago. With the change in governance, Archadia began invading its neighboring lands, quickly becoming the largest realm in Ivalice. While in the past the emperor was traditionally of military extraction, a purge of key figures in the military by the politically powerful House Solidor led to the installation of a line of Solidor emperors which continue to this day

So Vayne's claim is a bit suspect. But maybe they hold fake elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

I replayed 7R a couple months ago and came away loving it even more. The amount of little details they added to make Midgar feel alive, the little things they got right in the adaptation, the way they maintained the weirdness and fun, it's all so good.

Can't wait to see this guy in Rebirth

There's at least one motorcycle enemy in Yuffie dlc but I have no idea if it's supposed to be that thing.