Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Release FFVpr you jerkbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

Shadow = FFVI character with the dog

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edge is the worst.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zurtilik posted:

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'm gonna try to play and finally beat FFV starting tomorrow! I'm gonna do a Four Job Fiesta too to make it spicier.

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

Monk will punch through early game easily. When it falls off, bard gets rolling.

Assuming it's unchanged mechanics, spell blade status effects always hit if the attack hits. It's way powerful with things like break blade or silence blading rug wizard.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I never got to far with FFV, mostly due to FOMO with the job system. Any good guides or suggestions for job leveling? Like what character should go job A until whatever point and then go to job B.

Completely broken job/combos, will murder all:
Ranger gets rapid fire that goes onto a mystic knight for rapid spell blading.
Chemist !mix.
Putting bard here since stop song, speed song, and level song are all amazing.
Blue mage if you put in the work to get the good stuff.
Time mage's slow and haste make you run circles around enemies.

Good combos/jobs that can carry:
Element rods give +50% damage to that element so -aga spells are great damage on black mage (or air knife for wind).
Oh air knife works with a certain summon you get later making it better than any other on damage/mp.
Samurai can just throw money at their problems and even better if you have a way to lower defense through !mix.
Zerky's ultimate axe scales off of magic and you give a mastered summon magic to zerky to boost magic.

Other stuff:
Lots of things have good steals to thief up.
Red mage is fine early, falls off hard once -ara spells become bad, but has dualcast at the end of a ridiculous ap grind.

These are just fun stuff I can remember off the top of my head. No way a complete list of crazy job combos you can use to absolutely go bonkers. I mentioned it with zerky but a lot of abilities you slap onto another character give stats based on that job. So giving a caster ability will give magic (summoner gives the most). Jobs don't really replace others like in FF3 so just play what's fun.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 9, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leal posted:

He could support Yuna with the earnings he makes from playing Blitzball.

Until he headbutts the wrong blitzball.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Greg comes and bonks you with excalipoor if you don't crank up his music.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's not a FFV run if you don't roll into the library at all lv15 and immediately get death'd.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Getting Odin in FFVIII before poo poo goes crazy train on fire means you get a GF of the best character in all of FF.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I'm not bothering with all the cheevos either. It makes the game way less fun.

Is there a recommended job level in FF5 where you should switch jobs? Like other than when it's obvious you need a certain party for a certain boss or dungeon?

I've only played FF5 once before a long time ago and never finished it and I really don't remember trying to break the job system over my knee.

And also what are the absolute must have skills for a non 4JF playthrough?

Aside from the typical rapid fire+spellblade:

Master summoner, give !summon to a zerky, and give the zerky the rune axe.

Air knife boosts air spells like aero and yes slydra. Air Knife'd Syldra is the highest damage summon per mp unless you boost water damage through chemist drugs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Worse 4JF grind is probably grinding chemistry supplies. Even then, you have chemist so nothing stands in the way of drugs.

No you will not run out of your 50 dragon fangs in the final dungeon. You do not need 99.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Give zerky equip harps and destroy your enemies with the power of music.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

jokes posted:

Monk trivializes world 1 and World 2 and is middling in world 3.

Monks punch damage pretty much scales with just level. Levels slow way down in w3 but enemy HP grows a ton. So you're left with a fist that can't punch hard enough.

You can give them steroids from chemist and then they poo poo out damage with both hands. Nice since they can crit fairly regularly.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thunder rod+thundaga is all you need if you wanna grind jobs on statues and experiment.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

About half of fiesta team strategy relies on finding 4 reflect rings (or stealing elsewhere with thief) in barrier tower for exdeath and the crystals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Solidifying Greg as best FF character.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

Holy god dam the minotaur in the Fork Tower is so unfair. I managed to beat him on the first try but only because I had Faris as a Samurai with an Elven Mantle equipped and he kept missing or hitting the mantle. Bartz, as a Ninja, with an Elven Mantle, got turned into pudding almost instantly. Minotaur still hit Faris twice and it came down to the wire but jesus god dam gently caress some of these bosses are so dumb. Omniscent, on the other hand, was completely free to Carbuncle and died to his own spells lmao.

Another good strat is to plink away from the back row. You can easily out-heal the jerk as long as it doesn't splat you in one hit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

On omega, you just need spell blade-rapid fire some thundagas. Don't think it matters much what you wack it with at that point. Robots getting what's coming.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

thetoughestbean posted:

Try bragging again when you have a splinter in your lips

That's how you get your turtle pal killed.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bardeh posted:

So should I focus on mastering a job before switching out for something else?

It'll take a while to fully master a job. My advice is just play around and stick with jobs that are fun for you. Most of the jobs are pretty serviceable by themselves and turn turbo good with some combos.

Good example you may already have: knight learns two handed (equip sword, no shield). Give two handed to mystic knight and it'll smack away anything weak to the element you magic sword. Or the classic white/black mage.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AngryRobotsInc posted:

To be fair, early 20s is probably solidly middle age in a world where a Flying Laser Whale regularly blows up settlements.

Lulu's also seen some poo poo in her life.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Schwartzcough posted:

CoD and Necron are just, like, forces of nature, so yeah they don't count. But Exdeath was supposedly just a bunch of evil assholes whose souls got jammed in a tree. I think he can be considered evil.

How evil are Jenova or Sin though.

Jenova did some evil stuff to murder off the cetra.

Exdeaths origin story makes it a lot more gray. He's the product of people cramming their problems into a tree rather than the evil problem itself.

Sin (yu yevon) screams more desperation than evil.

Kefka, though, that guy's an evil clown 100%.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

jokes posted:

L5 Death comes for us all

I turn 35 next year. I'll stay away from the library.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cardboard Fox posted:

I have a few issues with it. Please see below:

• A dolphin cannot jump that high
  • Cloud weighs maybe 250+ pounds? Plus the inventory of the party puts the total weight at 2 tons
  • The water is not deep enough for the dolphin to obtain the height necessary to reach that beam

Look, I know this world has alien moms from outer space, giant robot scorpions with laser tails, and colorful marbles that allow you to cast magic , but I draw the line at unrealistic real-world animal depictions.

I did a swim with dolphins thing on my honeymoon.

Those things are pure muscle and easily threw my 250lb rear end up out of the water.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Asterite34 posted:

Clearly that dolphin was infused with mako and Jenova cells as part of Shinra's aquatic special ops, the MARINE Program.

For their Navy's amphibious elite strike teams, they used seals.

Ah the dolphins from red alert got it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I just want cloud dressed in a chocobo costume.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Scalding Coffee posted:

This, but Barret as a giant marshmallow.

Barret as the stay puft marshmallow man also needed.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Harrow posted:

Maybe I'm not a real PC Gamer(tm) but I cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about EGS versus Steam. I just don't care at all and it is bizarre to me how much of a crusade some people make of it, still.

Yeah this.

I don't really go around browsing for games through a store though. I just keep an eye on upcoming releases and go find out where I can play it on PC.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FF2 has a pretty cool villain that definitely makes the party want to go smash his face in. For it's time, it's pretty decent.

It's a quite different battle/level system that really isn't fun though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aeriths plan all along: take over the life stream.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OhFunny posted:

20 years since Final Fantasy X's release in North America.

Thanks I played it in high school.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FFVIIIs garden battle was my favorite part of that one. Rest yeah y'all got the good scenes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Barreft posted:

Let us know how it is. I never played 13-2 cause 13 just killed my caring about the whole game. I somehow have it on Steam, must've been a drunk buy

Same world, similar combat, much better to play through.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ethiser posted:

If Stranger of Paradise leads to me getting a FFIII Warriors of Dark prequel I’m here for it.

FF6: War of the Magi.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Well I've never played the game, but that's stupid. She should've been Cid and her name should be Cidney

I'd recommend it if you get it on steam sale or game pass or something. It's a good game with an obviously hurried up ending.

Cid in FFXV does do the majority of cid things you'd expect. Cindy stays in her lane.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lotus Aura posted:

I don't know about a thread for general stuff, but this bit about FFV specifically reminded me of this wonderfully terrible old guide for playing the game Freelancer Only (ie not changing Jobs ever). Its listed... "strategy" for the final boss includes these wonderful sentences:

I also notice, as a general trend, more recent GameFAQs guides have a tendency to get directions completely wrong. So often it says to go left when it means right, or east but it should be west etc. and I just don't know how you can be so consistently wrong about something so basic.

Worst FFV guide I saw rated chemist as one of the worst jobs. Smh.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Could play both. XV for when you just want to chill out with your bros and VIIR for serious play.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Asterite34 posted:

Hojo is the Henry Kissinger of Final Fantasy

I forgot, did Hojo actually die for reals?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

FF7 vanilla: yes he dies when you fight him at Midgar near the end of the game.

EU: define "for reals" because does uploading your consciousness into a computer and...well you see where this is going.

EU seals the comparison to Henry Kissinger then. Both could be considered a shambling state of undeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Blue mage has a rich history of being bonkers broken to just ok to absolute garbage.