Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

OhFunny posted:

I hope Jack's dphone is a selectable item for like the menu in game and that I can switch on music to play from it. I'll be blasting at fun volume as I RP walk towards bosses.

You know; for immersion.

Have it do the MGSV thing where you can have the music playing on speakers to alert nearby enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

I haven't played a non-fiesta run of FF5 in over a decade, and I don't think I even know how.

Same, which is the entire reason I'm doing a non-fiesta run for my first PR run.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

MatchaZed posted:

Being able to respec your characters in FF12 rules.

I just wish it had an option to automatically fill out your boards if you have enough LP to do so, just to skip having to spend five minutes a board going through and grabbing each license one by one.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

14 is the worst final fantasy

14 gets a new game every two years, making it the least final of fantasies.

Grevlek posted:

Last time I played ff12 it was 2007 and it was after Halloween and I ate a bunch of candy kids didnt take. Should I play the PS2 version or the zodiac age ?

Play TZA, it has a bunch of improvements over the original game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wasn't the Steal gambit thing a deliberate design decision to attempt to prevent stealing from just being totally automatic like that?

Deliberate or not, all it does is just make me never use Steal until I got a smart steal mod installed.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

PneumonicBook posted:

I had to reload a bunch and still barely made it out with everything.

If you put Wait on and make sure to have one person ready to act at all times, you can hop into a menu during animations to let them play out without advancing the timer.

I cleared the place out with 5 minutes left on my run.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Chillgamesh posted:

Just beat X-ATM092 and escaped with 15 seconds left on the timer :shepface: Ragnarok mod has a high difficulty mode that I'm playing on and man everything is dangerous. Then again, I only have one GF with HP-J so far

The one time I killed X-ATM, I solo grinded Seifer up enough for Thundaga to show up in spell lists, then transfered a bunch over to Squall and Zell.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

FF5 makes some weird decisions. Like I just got to Walse and am in a castle which should be safe to walk around, but nope there's an enemy in the basement randomly that can easily kill your whole party without warning

On the GBA version quicksaves would reset the step counter before a fight, so you could just walk a few steps, save/load, then walk a few more to get an early Elven Mantle with zero risk.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Harrow posted:

That said, maybe wait a month or so if you plan to play during NA prime time. The game is currently more popular than it's ever been and it's melting the login servers, so it's very difficult to play if you try to log on during NA prime time.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you're able to mitigate these issues, like say being in a weird Greenwich-centric time zone, then give it a shot, but start with the free trial before committing money to something you may not be able to play for a while.

https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/

Just keep in mind that free trial users cannot log in if there's a queue going. If there's a single paid player waiting to get in, they take priority.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I want SoP to have an in-universe music player like MGS5.

Some dude is spouting off a JRPG monologue and you're bored? Just pop in some earbuds and let Limp Bizkit drown it out.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

I think this is the much bigger problem with X-2. It just never once answers "what happens to people who die?" X firmly establishes they need to be Sent but there are no more Summoners in X-2 and we are never even given a single offhand line of dialogue about how there are now "professional Senders" to deal with this.

I guess the dead are just left as is and become dingos and blobs.

On the plus side, the International content reveals that you are 100% capable of maintaining your sense of self as a fiend.

Your starter monster was a Yevon priest in life, and is so loving happy to be working with a High Summoner.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Onean posted:

Yeah, if you haven't checked out One Step from Eden yet, it's gameplay is almost exactly the MMBN battles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YWRMSsbOE4

I tried Eden and bounced off of it fairly hard.

The main thing that soured me was the lack of any kind of Custom Screen.

In BN, they could throw bullshit like Bass at you because you only had to deal with, at most, like 30 seconds of combat before you can open the Custom Screen and have a break to catch your breath before the next barrage. Eden instead has you instantly reload your deck the moment you run out, so you get All Fight All The Time, and I ended up finding it draining to play.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 27, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Have both the PS1 and PSP scripts voiced, with a toggle to flip between them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

PunkBoy posted:

I recall someone here a while ago posting a link to a bunch of patches and fixes for the PC versions of either Final Fantasy XIII or XIII-2 (or both?). Would anyone be able to share that link again?

One thing to note about XIII is that it downloads every prerendered cutscene twice, as the EN and JP versions have different lip syncing.

If you want to save some space, you can safely delete the cutscenes of whatever language you aren't using and cut the size of the game by a ton.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Harrow posted:

Xenoblade 2 had a no-real-money-involved gacha system for Blades, which were basically personified weapons with special powers that you could equip on your characters. You did have actual party members, though.

Honestly I thought it was kinda fun. There should've been a way to consistently fill out your roster of Blades in the postgame for completionists but for the most part I thought it was fun to get a blade core and find out who it'd be. A little bit of gacha randomness is pretty fun when you're not being pestered to spend money for it.

Until you get a new character, crack open so many cores that they cap out their Blade limit, and get nothing but generic Blades.

Want to put some actually good Blades on him? Haha have fun burning rare Overdrive Protocols to pilfer unique Blades from your other party members.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ibblebibble posted:

Imagine SoP Beastmaster/Bard where Jack draws in woodland animals via the power of song.

He cranks up the volume on Limp Bizkit and a rabbit jumps out to maul Chaos.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's a lore document in game that explicitly calls the not-Sastasha "a mirror of a place from Dimension 14" so I think all their stuff about "this is not an isekai" was lol?

Could be a stealth prequel to the Dissidia games.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Boy of Joy posted:

I’m pretty sure the latest SoP demo has corpse runs where you can get back all your previous MP bars, this wasn’t in the previous versions was it? I like it a lot more as if you died too much previously against a boss you had to go farm more MP from enemies if you wanted to use special moves/spells on the boss.

From what I noticed going into a boss fight will bring you up to a minimum MP count, so you have a baseline minimum if you just want to keep throwing yourself at the boss,

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Flytrap posted:

People go into debt and borrow from criminals to whale harder. In the FGO fandom there's an infamous story about a guy who took a loan out rolling for Jalter, then borrowed money from the Yakuza to pay off the loan...but before they made it to the bank they instead rolled it all on Jalter again.

It's not an exaggeration to say the business practice is legitimately evil and actually ruins lives.

Small correction, the yakuza whale guy was rolling for Scathach, not Jalter.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Vikar Jerome posted:

Jack says its a waste of time and you still do it? Smdh

You never know, Chaos might be three master tonberries in a trenchcoat.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SettingSun posted:

SoP dlc obviously should be visits to the various dimensions the levels are from, solving those games' plot wholesale with well placed punches to Exdeath/Kefka/Sephiroth/etc.

With the exception of any world that has Chaos as a cameo boss, in which case he just kills Chaos and peaces out.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blockhouse posted:

aren't the dissidia characters explicitly just copy-pastes from the main FF timelines

except for Gilgamesh

The Dissidia characters are the same except they all got heavily mind-wiped on entry so they just go along with the Cosmos/Chaos forever war, iirc.

Gil got in through the rift, so he dodges the mindwipe.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Sage is basically Black Mage except you also

A) Get White Magic spells (including haste which is hilarious with punches)
B) Gets to cast its spells much much faster
C) Can sacrifice the spell boost temporarily to cast a hilarious rainbow-puking death ball that nukes entire rooms. This has no MP cost.

D) Can dual-class Sage/Sage to keep your spell boosts forever and still have two separate break bars.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Madmarker posted:

Are the rearranged cc tracks that bad?

Compare the bit we have from the remaster to the original.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Learned you can actually get black mage stacks from uncharged instant casted spells as well, dunno why that never occurred to me

I've been ultima-ing even more efficiently than before!

And if you're having trouble with stagger, you can run Sage/Sage to let you swap without losing your spell stacks!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Reminder that Medusa in the original NES release had 980 HP.

Medusa in DS has 3000.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

FrostyPox posted:

The boss of Chapter 9 in XIII is loving brutal :negative:

Maybe I need to farm more, I've avoided quite a few fights.

EDIT: I also need to adjust my Paradigms I bet

If you haven't noticed it yet, swapping Paradigms will instantly give you full ATB with a cooldown of 2-ish ATB charges between uses. This lets you, say, go into Med/Med/Med to instantly heal yourself, or putting two of the same offensive paradigm in your deck to jack up your DPS.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Barudak posted:

Im gonna trust you on not having any, but you've got to be the literal only person I've ever heard about who doesn't have at least one by that point. What have you been using them on???

Aerosols are a pain in the rear end to farm, iirc. They have the highest drop rate if you 1-2 star fights, so you have to go out of your way to get more if you burn whatever you got from chests. I also ran out during my first run.

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't it have a whole thing where if someone dies everyone's memories of them are wiped, too? Opera Omnia made a thing out of other game's characters learning about that and being all 'hey what the gently caress'.

Spoiler-tagging that because I have no idea how big a detail that is, but it's the one detail that's kept Type-0 on my radar, that idea has potential.

Nah it gets shown in the first cutscene. Guy on a chocobo gets mortally wounded, one of the MCs starts crying over it, only to instantly calm down the second the guy dies.

It actually leads to one of my favorite bits of world building in the series. One of the NPCs at Akademia mentions that everyone has dog tags, but every class leaves them in a pile when they go to battle. When the fight is over, everyone grabs theirs and checks what tags are left. They don't know the name on the tag? That person is dead. They still know them? They're alive but MIA.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

jokes posted:

Angelo is a status effect. There is no cure.

No, Interceptor is the status effect.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I just wish FFXV had no cap on the number of photos you could save, just to make that final bit even better.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Heran Bago posted:

Radiant Historia was incredible and I can't remember any of it. Timelines happened.

Your best friend was horrible in combat, because the game had leaked EXP but only for people who were actively in your party meaning he'll be like level 20 when everyone else is in the 40s.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That sounds awesome, and the title sounds really familiar

Was that the one where you picked between human and monster sides? I feel like I always get this confused

No, that's Radiata Stories. Radiant Historia has a parallel timeline gimmick where doing something in one timeline affects the other.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

amigolupus posted:

Treat it like Yu-Gi-Oh GX, where instead of making child soldier school, Cid and Edea founded a Card Games Academy.

Laguna launched Adel into space to teach aliens how to duel.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Clarste posted:

It's not really all that subtle, is it?

There's even a flashback scene where kid Tidus asks for his mom, only for her to wave him off.

Jecht had to tell her to go see their kid.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Never played Type-0 and only have a very cursory conception of what its deal is, but if it’s dark and brutal then that’s at least a good course correction from VIII. I always thought the “teen military academy” was a baffling plot device in a story where all the characters essentially treat it like just being in normal high school and everyone survives until the end.

Type 0 is a setting where people leave their dogtags at base before a battle, since the Crystal wipes all memories of you from everyone if you die.

No one picks up the dogtag and no one knows the name? They died, make a token gravestone for them. No one picks up the dogtag and they do know the name? They know the guy is MIA.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Harrow posted:

the stealing still sucks though

Also Trance going off automatically making it incredibly annoying to bring into a boss fight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SettingSun posted:

Started up FFIX myself, proceeded to get perfected on in the tutorial match of Tetra Master, losing all my cards. Great way to endear the minigame to the player! Guess I can try again in Dali later.

Tetra Master in general just feels like they tried to make Triple Triad BUT MORE.

In practice, it just feels like nonsense where clashes are won and lost seemingly arbitrarily.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Except, as I also learned in one of my last VIII runs, it fucks up your SeeD exam score for some reason. You do get some extra points but while I don't even remember how, I do recall getting a huge penalty in some category or other.

I know this all sounds massively vague but I firmly remember being perplexed and asking about it on here and someone explained it to me.

You probably took too long killing the robot. Killing it gives you a free SEED rank, but your Conduct score starts dropping once the timer hits 25:00.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

cirus posted:

Excuse me I believe you'll find that Squall is dead

So does that make Kingdom Hearts the afterlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think Added Effect slotted in equipment with the appropriate leveled-up materia, will also protect against ailments. You don't NEED Ribbons.

Specifically on armor, Added Effect on weapons will let you inflict it on attack.