Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Really, really digging the Pixel Remaster of VI, but for some reason, the interface for managing my Espers is just needlessly confusing to me. It’s the only time the font and small text have really aggravated me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure someone said this a few days ago, but the Pixel Remaster version of Searching For Friends is something else.

Also, Gestahl suggesting Celes and Kefka procreate is…something else as well.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
With Tantarian, it’s not as good has having an actual mage, but Amarant should be able to do some decent healing with Chakra. If possible, try to get his Trance bar close to the top before the fight, I haven’t done this in a while but I believe Chakra heals the entire party when Amarant is in Trance.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wasn’t following this thread at the time of the news leak, so I didn’t see the reaction, but I’ve read one of SE’s unannounced projects which looks more and more likely in light of the Kingdom Hearts announcements was a remake of IX. While I’d no doubt play the poo poo out of it, as IX is my favorite in the series, I hope they don’t change too much. I love the remake of VII, but something along those lines just doesn’t fit IX to me. I’m hoping for a traditional style of old-school FF gameplay with maybe a fresh coat of paint and some bonus content.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont see any reason to expect more than the 3/4ths-assed remasters of 8 or chrono cross

I mean, IX’s already had that sort of treatment, though.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love Cait Sith reacting by sadly tap dancing away.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are Brachiosaurs a particularly rare appearance in the dinosaur forest in VI? I’m trying to get a Celestriad, mainly so I could combine that with Quick, Dualcast, and Ultima to see how quickly I can get through the last boss. I spent 45 minutes fighting Tyranosaurs and then just gave up.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Almost finished with FFVI, which should I try next: FFV or Chrono Trigger? I’ve never played either.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Save FFV for a blind fiesta run this summer. It'll be here before you know it!

Not sure I want my first play through to be a FJF fun but one day!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Definitely exciting, but worth remembering how long development on modern FF titles has run, that could mean there’s still another year or so of work to be done.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally giving FFV a serious try, and really enjoying it so far. The job system is super fun, and while I don’t want to do a FJF run for my first try, I’ll definitely give it a shot in the future.

My one complaint so far is the music is a tad underwhelming. Not bad by any means, but nothing very memorable so far.

Of course, I’m playing this after VI, which might be Uematsu’s best work, so I could be a little biased.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Electric Phantasm posted:

Somehow I have missed Pixel Remaster 4's final battle theme and holy poo poo the added chorus is amazing.

Have they announced if they plan on releasing the soundtracks to the Pixel Remasters? Because they took one of my favorite soundtracks in VI and really took it up a level.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I definitely feel Sadness, Trouble and Fury on a regular basis

I’m feeling Old and Slow right now myself.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I blame NORG.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

A natural leader.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, I’m loving FFV. It’s the only classic era FF I don’t mind grinding, it’s so much fun to figure out different combinations of jobs and abilities. Wish I hadn’t waited so long, but now I’ve got FJF to look forward to.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I posted the other day about how much I’m loving FFV, and I do, but man, the Pyramid of Moore can gently caress right off. It’s not that it’s hard, my party is more than strong enough to get through it, but the amount of backtracking plus the absurd encounter rate is really pissing me off. At least it’s good for soaking up ability points.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Zephyrus isn't undead and also has the 1% flee rate, the actual worst fuckin' encounter

For some reason, I kept getting preemptive strikes and was able to take her out before she summoned enemies for the most part, so she wasn’t too pad.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

jokes posted:

Everyone gets to max out a few jobs, and then when you’re in the final dungeon everyone should be a freelancer.

This is the way.

For me, I always have Butz be my dumb boy with physical stuff and blue magic.

Lenna, fast support

Faris, extremely damaging with weapons

Krile, extremely damaging with magic

My Krile is a death dealing ninja, I love how open this game is with how you break it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
How many people had the experience I just had in V, where I thought I could only get 3 legendary weapons, but then realized I had 4 tablets?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pennfalath posted:

And you do know that each tablet gives you three weapons, right?

Eventually, yes, I figured it out.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I finished my first play through of V today, and man, what a delightful game. Wonderful last dungeon, I loved the part where you go through the frozen-in-time Phantom Village, it’s was pretty eerie. I’ve now beaten V through X, think I’m going to give IV a serious shot. I have the 3D version but would I be better off trying the Pixel Remaster?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I knew about Cecil renouncing his Dark Knighthood and becoming a Paladin, I didn’t realize it happened so early in the game. I feel like it just started and it already happened.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did use a ton of ethers on my first trip through the Rift in V. I got to the last floor, teleported out, went shopping, and was pretty much fine until the save point right after you fight Necrophobe. Other than that, MP was not a problem.

And the games I’ve played the most are VI and IX, and I don’t ever remember having problems with MP in either.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

FunkyFjord posted:

Going backwards through the series would be a kind of interesting trip tbh.

I’m sort of doing that now-I replayed VI, then game V my first ever play through, now I’m doing IV, and I’m already deeper into it than I’ve ever gotten. It’s been an interesting experience. VI is still my favorite, with a great story and characters, and the Espers giving a nice little bit of customization. V is very bare bones in the story area, but the total freedom of the job system is super fun, and made the game a joy to play.

Honestly, I’m pretty lukewarm on IV as of now. Definitely more plot than V, but the gameplay is so linear that it feels like a huge step backwards to play this after V. I’m glad I’ve had the experience but if I do this again, I’ll definitely start with IV and work my way forwards.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I was casting the IX show I’d have to be restrained from casting the guy who does the voice of James from Team Rocket as Kuja.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Baku beat Zidane when he dared to try to find his own family and Zidane tries to frame him as a Good Dad.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

If people want a turn-based FF they can play World of Final Fantasy.

This, but Final Fantasy V.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to try SoP, but I really want to play as a character who wants to destroy Chaos, and Jack seems lukewarm on the topic to me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Frionnel posted:

I'm replaying FFIX and you know what, Blank should have joined the party instead of Amarant.

Blank is cool and has a better estabilished relationship with Zidane.

Every party needs a hideous Frankenstein man in it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
One can always hit bottom.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I started playing Tactics for the first time, and dear god do I ever see myself getting hooked on this. The combat is so much fun.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Frionnel posted:

loving Mi'hen Highroad

I haven’t played X in over a decade and I got chills just thinking of this.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I should play V again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love VII but I can’t disagree with this. I’ve beaten it 3 or 4 times, and I can’t remember a lot of detail on what happens after Midgar. It’s such an iconic setting, and pretty different from anything I’d seen before in a FF, that it’s kind of mesmerizing. After that, the settings sort of get a little more generic to me.