Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I should probably post this in TBB, but it's such a dang BYOB book maybe some of y'all will enjoy it. I don't know what it is about the weather finally turning cooler in November, the heat of summer fading slowly yet surely, but most years about this time I am drawn back to one of my favorite books, the hero of which is the subject of this thread.

Allow me, in the unfortunate event that you are not already acquainted with this noble and esteemed gentleman, to introduce to you, or, in the happier situation in which you have already had the good fortune to meet this pillar of cheer and good-nature, to refresh your friendship with-for any orb who has met this gentleman would most certainly count him among their friends-the inestimable Mr. Samuel Pickwick, Esq., G.C.M.P.C. [General Chairman—Member Pickwick Club]:

Though he may seem an ordinary, flatulent English gentleman of the 1820s, let me assure you that this man is one of the most BYOB characters ever conceived and his adventures are well worth perusing. You might remark nothing extraordinary in the bald head, and circular spectacles: but it you knew that the gigantic brain of Pickwick was working beneath that forehead, and that the beaming eyes of Pickwick were twinkling behind those glasses, if you knew that before you stood the author of such works as 'Observations on the Theory of Tittlebats,' you might find the sight a more interesting one.

I won't plagiarize Dickens anymore, but I'm listening to The Pickwick Papers (perfectly narrated by Simon Prebble) and I'm gonna post all the very BYOB quotes I can find because I love this book and it's super chill and to me funny. Basically a nice guy goes around the countryside with his friends, gets drunk alot, meets lots of interesting people, makes friends with most of them, and observes some unusual and peculiar circumstances.

Dickens' prose can be a bit much to the modern reader but keep in mind it's almost all an excessively flowery joke. I'd recommend the audiobook version because the narrator does a great job of conveying that humor. Much of Dickens' work was really meant as fireside entertainment in the pre-radio world, and it was certainly meant to be read aloud. The book itself is in the public domain too so you can read it here and see the original illustrations too if text is your thing:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/580/580-h/580-h.htm#link2HCH0001
It was written as a serial originally, and while there is a bit of an overarching plot, it's mostly just episodic adventures and a chapter is a nice little 30 minute read before bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Here, in the very first chapter, Mr. Pickwick sums up his very chill approach to life:

quote:

...but this he would say, that if ever the fire of self-importance broke out in his bosom, the desire to benefit the human race in preference effectually quenched it. The praise of mankind was his swing; philanthropy was his insurance office.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
This isn't entirely related but all this Dickens talk reminds me of my favorite Dickens' passage.

"MI DEER JO i OPE U R KR WITE WELL i OPE i SHAL SON B HABELL 4 2 TEEDGE U JO AN THEN WE SHORL B SO GLODD AN WEN i M PRENGTD 2 U JO WOT LARX AN BLEVE ME INF XN PIP."

Anyhow, I look forward to the continued adventures of Mr. Pickwick!

Thank you for sharing. =]

Twenty Four

Sounds like a fun read but before clicking on the thread after reading the thread title I thought "well of course B is the most used character in BYOB in the English language, it's right there twice!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I love the Pickwick Papers. I think of Alfred Jingle all the time.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

How Wonderful! posted:

I love the Pickwick Papers. I think of Alfred Jingle all the time.

I’m gonna try to pay more attention to Jingle this time. I’ve always found him odd but funny, but never really thought much about him as a character

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

A few brief and byob moments have happened lately. Mr. Pickwick and co. have gone to visit their friend at his farm, and Mr. Pickwick beats a fat man very badly at cards. The fat man is suitably byob, after a moment of being unchill:

quote:

Another game, with a similar result, on which the fat gentleman burst into a state of high personal excitement which lasted until the conclusion of the game, when he retired into a corner, and remained perfectly mute for one hour and twenty-seven minutes; at the end of which time he emerged from his retirement, and offered Mr. Pickwick a pinch of snuff with the air of a man who had made up his mind to a Christian forgiveness of injuries sustained.

Lesson: If you ever lose at cards, sulk for an hour and 27 minutes, and then offer your opponent some snuff.

Pickwick is chillin:

quote:

The evening glided swiftly away, in these cheerful recreations; and when the substantial though homely supper had been despatched, and the little party formed a social circle round the fire, Mr. Pickwick thought he had never felt so happy in his life, and at no time so much disposed to enjoy, and make the most of, the passing moment.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

did Pickwick found the Pickwick club or was it an honor bestowed

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I believe he did found it himself, but don’t recall the actual formation of the club being very much discussed.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Kaiser I picked up a copy because you've done a good job selling it. I also picked up a James Herriot book which is just some British vet living in the countryside having adventures trying to save animals and it is pretty relaxing too, though I imagine there will probably be some sad tales along the way.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 21, 2021

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

just noticed that pickwick is farting hard onto the guys behind him lmao

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

xcheopis

One of my fave Dickens' books!

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I have not been listening to my book lately because life etc. but I have a nice drive tomorrow and I hope to include some good chill and Pickwickian moments. Funnily enough, the 'gently caress you bitch' thread, where of course 'bitch' is being used a byob way, has a good pickwickian parallel, as in the very first chapter of the pickwick papers, one pickwickian calls another pickwickian a humbug!

quote:

‘The CHAIRMAN felt it his imperative duty to demand of the honourable gentleman, whether he had used the expression which had just escaped him in a common sense.

‘MR. BLOTTON had no hesitation in saying that he had not—he had used the word in its Pickwickian sense. (Hear, hear.) He was bound to acknowledge that, personally, he entertained the highest regard and esteem for the honourable gentleman; he had merely considered him a humbug in a Pickwickian point of view. (Hear, hear.)

‘MR. PICKWICK felt much gratified by the fair, candid, and full explanation of his honourable friend. He begged it to be at once understood, that his own observations had been merely intended to bear a Pickwickian construction. (Cheers.)’

Here the entry terminates, as we have no doubt the debate did also, after arriving at such a highly satisfactory and intelligible point.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I forgot to post, but I did listen to one of my very favorite scenes in the entire book, wherein Mr. Pickwick and friends return to their friend Mr. Wardle's house after a long day of watching cricket and getting very drunk. Anyone who has ever known a very drunk 19 yr old knows all of these otherwise distinguished gentlemen who will not be told to go to bed. It also includes one of my favorite dickensian lines, bolded below.

quote:

Mr. Pickwick, with his hands in his pockets and his hat cocked completely over his left eye, was leaning against the dresser, shaking his head from side to side, and producing a constant succession of the blandest and most benevolent smiles without being moved thereunto by any discernible cause or pretence whatsoever; old Mr. Wardle, with a highly-inflamed countenance, was grasping the hand of a strange gentleman muttering protestations of eternal friendship; Mr. Winkle, supporting himself by the eight-day clock, was feebly invoking destruction upon the head of any member of the family who should suggest the propriety of his retiring for the night; and Mr. Snodgrass had sunk into a chair, with an expression of the most abject and hopeless misery that the human mind can imagine, portrayed in every lineament of his expressive face.

‘Is anything the matter?’ inquired the three ladies.

‘Nothing the matter,’ replied Mr. Pickwick. ‘We—we’re—all right.—I say, Wardle, we’re all right, ain’t we?’

‘I should think so,’ replied the jolly host.—‘My dears, here’s my friend Mr. Jingle—Mr. Pickwick’s friend, Mr. Jingle, come ‘pon—little visit.’

‘Is anything the matter with Mr. Snodgrass, Sir?’ inquired Emily, with great anxiety.

‘Nothing the matter, ma’am,’ replied the stranger. ‘Cricket dinner—glorious party—capital songs—old port—claret—good—very good—wine, ma’am—wine.’

‘It wasn’t the wine,’ murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. ‘It was the salmon.’ (Somehow or other, it never is the wine, in these cases.)

‘Hadn’t they better go to bed, ma’am?’ inquired Emma. ‘Two of the boys will carry the gentlemen upstairs.’

‘I won’t go to bed,’ said Mr. Winkle firmly.

‘No living boy shall carry me,’ said Mr. Pickwick stoutly; and he went on smiling as before.

‘Hurrah!’ gasped Mr. Winkle faintly.

‘Hurrah!’ echoed Mr. Pickwick, taking off his hat and dashing it on the floor, and insanely casting his spectacles into the middle of the kitchen. At this humorous feat he laughed outright.

‘Let’s—have—‘nother—bottle,’ cried Mr. Winkle, commencing in a very loud key, and ending in a very faint one. His head dropped upon his breast; and, muttering his invincible determination not to go to his bed, and a sanguinary regret that he had not ‘done for old Tupman’ in the morning, he fell fast asleep; in which condition he was borne to his apartment by two young giants under the personal superintendence of the fat boy, to whose protecting care Mr. Snodgrass shortly afterwards confided his own person, Mr. Pickwick accepted the proffered arm of Mr. Tupman and quietly disappeared, smiling more than ever; and Mr. Wardle, after taking as affectionate a leave of the whole family as if he were ordered for immediate execution, consigned to Mr. Trundle the honour of conveying him upstairs, and retired, with a very futile attempt to look impressively solemn and dignified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Not having read The Pickwick Papers, I first assumed that this thread was about Bartleby, the scrivener.

I'm glad I was wrong.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!