Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Problem description:
Windows 10 (20H2, 19042.867) has been unable to install update KB5006738 (Cum. Update Preview 21-10) since late October. It began with error code 0x8007000d and is now occurring with error code 0x80070003. It'll apparently download the update without issues, but then when it attempts to install it it will do a few percent, hang, restart, then undo changes. It'll go through this a couple of times every other restart before giving up and throwing me back to the desktop.

Attempted fixes:
  • I've run the update troubleshooter and let it try and run repairs.
  • I've stopped the update services, deleted the \SoftwareDistributions\Downloads folder, and restarted update services
  • I've tried to manually download and install the update from the KB
  • I've run a systems file check
Recent changes:
None that I can recall.

Operating system:
Windows 10 Pro (20H2, 19042.867)

System specs:
AMD 5900X on an ASUS Strix X570-I. Don't think there's much more that'd be relevant to this issue.

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

And just a new spanner in the works, upon trying to sign-in I got a blue screen with the error "The RPC server is unavailable" - first time I've seen this and a restart cleared it, but I'm not sure if it's related.

e: Checking event viewer to figure out the RPC server error, I've noticed a slew of bad block errors - Disk 3 is my NVMe drive and OS install.

e2: Chkdsk found no errors, and SMART health is all OK.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 8, 2021

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Have you done any virus/malware scans?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

e2: Chkdsk found no errors, and SMART health is all OK.

You could also try running http://hdsentinel.com/ and see if it finds any drive issues.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

Have you done any virus/malware scans?

Yup, it's all clear.

Zogo posted:

You could also try running http://hdsentinel.com/ and see if it finds any drive issues.

I'll give this a look, thank you.

At this stage I'm thinking something is just inherently hosed, occasionally my desktop loads black with a flashing taskbar. I don't want to but I think I just have to do a fresh install.

e: :psyduck: Picture perfect health according to HDSentinel, I'm probably just nuking this loving install this week.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nuked it, reinstalled, picture perfect health.

The reinstall seems to have cleared the bad sector errors in event viewer too, but it's still complaining about a paging error, but it's non-critical so I pretend to not see it.

Thanks for the suggestions!